• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]

jsolo

I tried installing your DTS:X package and applying the interactive multichannel registry file using my HDMI port's GUID. DTS Interactive shows up as an option for default formats, but I can't run a test sound on it and can't save after selecting it as the default. Am I missing a step somewhere?

What I had wanted to do was pass DTS through my video card, to my TV, which would then pass that through a SPDIF cable to my Z5500 sound system. Haven't been able to get DTS or Dolby to work in this scenario.

Thanks

1640730229286.png

By the look of it the LG TV does not support any digital formats, if its meant to, look into its driver, else you want stereo (2 channels).
For Interactive to work, the device must support 'DTS Audio', in the digital, encoded formats box, see below.

Here is a video for the .reg settings, and getting sound, here is one for passing form factor (stereo).

1640730881233.png

Last edited:

jsolo

By the look of it the LG TV does not support any digital formats, if its meant to, look into its driver, else you want stereo (2 channels).
For Interactive to work, the device must support 'DTS Audio', in the digital, encoded formats box, see below.

Here is a video for the .reg settings, and getting sound, here is one for passing form factor (stereo).

View attachment 230476
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Turns out the newer LG OLED TVs don't support DTS over SPDIF. I'll probably need to work on my Nvidia drivers to get other formats to work as well.

I am hoping someone would kind enough to answer my questions.

I currently use DTS Interactive 5.1 via optical spdif for all audio output going to my older audio receiver's optical input and respective 5.1. speakers for multichannel gaming, movies, etc all mixed conveniently by the Window sound mixer.

Are there any benefits/disadvantages to redirecting DTS 5.1 Interactive - - > Nvidia HDMI audio - - > LG soundbar instead of my old receiver and speakers for gaming and Netflix movies? I'm guessing I would lose Dolby Atmos 7.1 on my LG soundbar. I also heard that there are weird Latency issues when trying to use HDMI audio for gaming using LG's sound bar.

If there are actual benefits to redirecting DTS Interactive to HDMI audio - - LG sound bar... and I already have DTS Interactive working with spdif optical... what specific software do I need to install and configure?

No benefit to switching to HDMI if you are going to output Interactive (DTS Surround), rather permanently in both cases. You wont lose Atmos-Other if you add Interactive.
I can output Atmos, and all other formats using SPDIF, however, in terms of ease and support, you want HDMI for now, does the LG have TOSlink?

This pack will allow you to add DTS Interactive to your HDMI, along with APO4, I would compare the two setups.
Another possibility is an HDMI Extractor, that converts HDMI audio into TOSlink out.

No benefit to switching to HDMI if you are going to output Interactive (DTS Surround), rather permanently in both cases. You wont lose Atmos-Other if you add Interactive.
I can output Atmos, and all other formats using SPDIF, however, in terms of ease and support, you want HDMI for now, does the LG have TOSlink?

This pack will allow you to add DTS Interactive to your HDMI, along with APO4, I would compare the two setups.
Another possibility is an HDMI Extractor, that converts HDMI audio into TOSlink out.

Thank you for the quick reply back! Honestly I haven't purchased the LG sound bar with rear speakers for $700 yet. Before post my question here, I wanted to completely replace my current DTS Connect solution (including old receiver and speakers) with brand new HDMI audio LG sound bar. My thinking was that I would gain new features and possibly even better support for PC gaming and movies using Dolby Atmos.

If I understand you correctly, it looks like I won't gain anything extra by replacing my current solution with HDMI audio. If anything, I would lose the ability to mix sound sources 3D audio gaming with Windows notification sounds and/or stereo music. Also, I read that HDMI audio tends to have a noticeable latency when playing PC games. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

So, does it make sense save my money and keep what I have already.. forgetting about HDMI audio?

PS: I can still use Dolby Atmos with DTS connect... the only limitation being 5.1 sound as opposed to 7.1 sound.

Atmos spdif? How?

Atmos spdif? How?
Actually, after I looked at my settings, it looks like I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones working. I am able to select it (after installing the Dolby Atmos from the Microsoft Store).
Screenshot 01-01-2022 at 08.19.18 PM.png

Honestly, I don't know what it's affecting when I select it. I am able to select it while DTS Interactive is enabled as well as when listing to my Bluetooth headphones.

Atmos2.png

Last edited:
I don't notice any latency issues with my AMD GPU, HDMI, if there is latency its because of Atoms or the receiver.
An HDMI audio device can be programmed like any other sound device, in terms of APO's.

The more APO's or processing you add, the more latency you get in total.

1.png

I don't notice any latency issues with my AMD GPU, HDMI, if there is latency its because of Atoms or the receiver.
An HDMI audio device can be programmed like any other sound device, in terms of APO's.

The more APO's or processing you add, the more latency you get in total.

View attachment 230938
Does it work tho?

According to others yes, I dont have Atmos hardware to test, and one that supports SPDIF. Bitstreaming is bitstreamng, SPDIF supports all, OEM's maybe not.
HDMI, is almost exactly like SPDIF, 2 channel is mandatory, multichannel and digital formats fully optional, not mandatory.

SPDIF has no set bitrate limit, TOSLink v 2.0 is 125mbps, HDMI is 37mbps, end of discussion.

Last edited:
System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, 2X Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory TEAMGROUP FFXD548G8000HC38EDC01
Video Card(s) MSI 4070 Ti Super w/Alphacool Eisblock Aurora RTX 4070TI Ventus with Backplate :13724
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
@snaker1, I had issues when Windows dropped support for my X-Fi, I imagine this is some of the reason. You should start you own thread for this X-Fi issue, many people have it working.

@Arctucas, you should be able to get this package to work if you had a HDAUDIO device on the system, such as in the guide, else no, I am sorry.

The DTS:X (APO4) system has more features than the previous versions of DTS APO's (1, 2, 3), it no longer uses virtual, or expand, but instead spatial.
It also acts as a DSP, as well as an APO. The audio quality is far better than pervious APOs from DTS, mostly due to better technology.

The DTS:X Ultra system works on-with PCM, so even DTS Interactive is improved, without any additional hardware.

OK, then it does not work for PCI soundcards?

The newer controller maybe, however I cannot say, I have not tried a PCI device. Virtual devices and USB I convert to HDAUDIO, however this might not be needed.
I know that current package works on any HDAUDIO device for sure, the previous packages would not work on non HDAUDIO devices.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, 2X Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory TEAMGROUP FFXD548G8000HC38EDC01
Video Card(s) MSI 4070 Ti Super w/Alphacool Eisblock Aurora RTX 4070TI Ventus with Backplate :13724
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
The newer controller maybe, however I cannot say, I have not tried a PCI device. Virtual devices and USB I convert to HDAUDIO, however this might not be needed.
I know that current package works on any HDAUDIO device for sure, the previous packages would not work on non HDAUDIO devices.
Thanks. I am sure everyone appreciates all your work.

I suppose I need to be satisfied with DTS Interactive thru TOSLink.

According to others yes, I dont have Atmos hardware to test, and one that supports SPDIF. Bitstreaming is bitstreamng, SPDIF supports all, OEM's maybe not.
HDMI, is almost exactly like SPDIF, 2 channel is mandatory, multichannel and digital formats fully optional, not mandatory.

SPDIF has no set bitrate limit, TOSLink v 2.0 is 125mbps, HDMI is 37mbps, end of discussion.
Then SPDIF is superb, I do have the hardware to try this, wanna help?

SPDIF is still the daddy, OEM's building it are the issue, they still use-program it like it was still using TOSLink v 1 @ 3.1 mbps, from 1983.
This is the equivalent of basing an HDMI 2.1 setup on HDMI 1.0, which are nothing a like in bitrate or specifications.

You have a receiver that directly supports Atmos over SPDIF (OEM's have to program it)?

How to send-test lossless [HDMI, SPDIF] - SPDIF - Sony/Philips Digital Interface

----

With fibre optic internet, I can ping servers in China at around 4-5 ms, my gaming monitor has a 2ms response, some are 5+ms.

1641224421456.png

Last edited:
SPDIF is still the daddy, OEM's building it are the issue, they still use-program it like it was still using TOSLink v 1 @ 3.1 mbps, from 1983.
This is the equivalent of basing an HDMI 2.1 setup on HDMI 1.0, which are nothing a like in bitrate or specifications.

You have a receiver that directly supports Atmos over SPDIF (OEM's have to program it)?

How to send-test lossless [HDMI, SPDIF] - SPDIF - Sony/Philips Digital Interface

----

With fibre optic internet, I can ping servers in China at around 4-5 ms, my gaming monitor has a 2ms response, some are 5+ms.

View attachment 231084
That's food for thought, pal :)

Yes, the Onkyo should be able to tax that one, otherwise it's rip

Hello. You can make driver pack like Alans Pack for sound card Creative USB Sound Blaster X G1? Many thanks. Goodbye........

No I don't have that device I am sorry, I would end up just adding this pack to it, if I had one, sort of, and convert it to HDAUDIO if needed.