• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DX12 to Vulkan MOD for older GPUs on Windows

cheungyau

My GTX 1080 only gets 10 FPS in Linux no matter what graphic settings I set. I wish there is some workaround to boost performance like in Windows because I am nowadays Linux-only and really want to play this game.

izy

My GTX 1080 only gets 10 FPS in Linux no matter what graphic settings I set. I wish there is some workaround to boost performance like in Windows because I am nowadays Linux-only and really want to play this game.
Did you try using an older/newer AMD driver on Linux? Low hopes but you never know, also you can try using the dxvk-async-2.0.tar instead of the normal one , you can also change env vars on linux , like disabling mesh shaders in the driver or something like that, you should take a look on the issue page on github.

System Name Xpectra
Processor i3 10105F
Motherboard Asrock H470M-HDV
Cooling Cooler Master H410R RGB
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050 Ti Mini
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB+480GB, 1TB+2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Chiptronex C100
Audio Device(s) F&D A110
Power Supply Ant Esports VS500L
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS EGold Bharat Mech Keyboard (Blue Switches)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores nothing special
getting 5-6fps more on my 1050 ti
before it was 10-12 now it's 16-18

3d_space_pinball

I should be able to get my hands on a Radeon VII this weekend. Hopefully I can get vulkan to work to compare to dx12.

Reactions: izy

paokkerkir

Hello. Looks like we had the same way of thinking with OP, I have uploaded my Vulkan patch in Nexus Mods since the 27th but it was approved yesterday.

Just chiming in to say that you can also try to use dxvk-gplasync new fork which is based in the latest dxvk. You need a conf file to enable it alongside the dlls. That's the version I'm using in my upload.

In any case, it made a big difference for me with a gtx1080 making the game playable.

izy

Hello. Looks like we had the same way of thinking with OP, I have uploaded my Vulkan patch in Nexus Mods since the 27th but it was approved yesterday.

Just chiming in to say that you can also try to use dxvk-gplasync new fork which is based in the latest dxvk. You need a conf file to enable it alongside the dlls. That's the version I'm using in my upload.

In any case, it made a big difference for me with a gtx1080 making the game playable.

dxvk-gplasync looks interesting as you can change some settings, it might just work on AMD too. (sadly i cant edit the initial post , ill ask a mod to enable it if we get this working on AMD)
Any idea where the dxvk.conf should be on windows? I dont seem to find it , maybe we have to create one?

Last edited:

izy

You have to create one alongside the dlls in the game folder.
Im testing it with dxgi.maxFrameRate = 60 , it doesnt seem to work.
Did more testing and dxvk.conf is for sure loaded but i think not all options are working on Windows.

------------
New libs added -- based on dxvk-gplasync in the main post.
You can play with the settings from dxvk.conf but not all of them will work under Windows or for DX12 games.

Some project that might help running the MOD with AMD GPUs: https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win - (needs to be tested, install mesa3d-23.1.9-release-msvc.7z or mesa3d-22.0.3-release-msvc.7z , **Vulkan driver for AMD graphics (radv) is no longer available since 22.1.0**, can be tested without the MOD, might help NVIDIA GPUs too ) - Mesa is the combined userland driver for all of the open-source graphics driver stacks, basically its the Linux Video drivers compiled to work on Windows!

Last edited:

cheungyau

Did you try using an older/newer AMD driver on Linux? Low hopes but you never know, also you can try using the dxvk-async-2.0.tar instead of the normal one , you can also change env vars on linux , like disabling mesh shaders in the driver or something like that, you should take a look on the issue page on github.
Hi I am using an Nvidia card so I don't know why should I change the AMD driver. Disabling mesh shaders with VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_EXT_mesh_shader launch option doesn't seem to help either.

izy

frame rate 60 ? i have still 15 fps on 1050 ti :D
Thats just a framerate limited option , i was testing to see if the settings im adding into dxvk.conf work, 1050TI is just way too slow for this game.

Lordofhell

I just installed the game nothing happens when I click on launch icon even there isn't a log file ?!
My OS is Windows 10 19045.3570
Latest driver installed (done a clean install with DDU)
All runtime packages are installed
Disabled Nvidia overlay
Vulkan opengl method changed to dxgi

My system spec:
CPU 3770K
Graphic 1070
16GB ram

YuriX

I just installed the game nothing happens when I click on launch icon even there isn't a log file ?!
Disabled Nvidia overlay

My system spec:
CPU 3770K
Graphic 1070
16GB ram
Give your CPU to a museum xD

izy

Disabled Nvidia overlay

My system spec:
CPU 3770K
Graphic 1070
16GB ram
Does it work with DX12, without the MOD? Have you tried all the versions? The log file should be AlanWake2_dxgi.log in the game folder. Try using the mod without dxvk.conf.

Lordofhell

Does it work with DX12, without the MOD? Have you tried all the versions? The log file should be AlanWake2_dxgi.log in the game folder. Try using the mod without dxvk.conf.
No it doesn't work with or without MOD, I check the log file AlanWake2_dxgi.log it's all blank.
I think my CPU is too old for this game, I must not insist.

izy

No it doesn't work with or without MOD, I check the log file AlanWake2_dxgi.log it's all blank.
I think my CPU is too old for this game, I must not insist.
It should work without the MOD but with lower fps, if it doesnt then there is a problem with you game (or maybe CPU?). You can try installing mesa3d-23.1.9-release-msvc.7z , this might help your CPU to run the game if its an CPU problem but it hasnt been tested so you shouldnt have high expectations but first check if your game is not bugged :) i assume you have a cracked version.

Give your CPU to a museum xD
I used to have that CPU and i liked it, dont retire it yet:D

Last edited:

Lordofhell

It should work without the MOD but with lower fps, if it doesnt then there is a problem with you game (or maybe CPU?). You can try installing mesa3d-23.1.9-release-msvc.7z , this might help your CPU to run the game if its an CPU problem but it hasnt been tested so you shouldnt have high expectations but first check if your game is not bugged :) i assume you have a cracked version.

I used to have that CPU and i liked it, dont retire it yet:D
I will try that and share the results.
I want to retire it, but my pocket don't let me to do so, Yes it's RUNE version, That's result of poverty too :D

• Haha

izy

Hi I am using an Nvidia card so I don't know why should I change the AMD driver. Disabling mesh shaders with VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_EXT_mesh_shader launch option doesn't seem to help either.
Ah sorry :) , do you have all the drivers / updates up to date on Linux (mesa , wine etc)?
You should try using dxvk-gplasync or dxvk-async if u have the normal dxvk.
Add this settings to your dxvk.conf and try with them on and off (True and False)

dxvk.enableAsync=True
dxvk.gplAsyncCache=True
dxvk.enableGraphicsPipelineLibrary=True

or with environment variables ( 0 or 1 )
DXVK_ASYNC=1
DXVK_GPLASYNCCACHE=1

---
  • Patch dxvk with dxvk-async.patch
  • Set the environment variable DXVK_ASYNC=1 or use dxvk.enableAsync = true in dxvk.conf
  • To compare with stock dxvk, rename or delete your state and shader caches
  • Use DXVK_HUD=pipelines to see the pipeline count go up (hopefully) without stutter

Last edited:

puscyfer

So guys, I've got 2 1080tis in SLI (using them for rendering quite a bit, work wonders). I've noticed that SLI does work with the vulkan wrapper, unfortunately, I can only get around 30-40 percent GPU utilisation per card. Framerate is smooth, but stuttering is allover the place (same happens when I disable SLI, a tad bit worse framerate, but stuttering is quite consistently crappy).

izy

So guys, I've got 2 1080tis in SLI (using them for rendering quite a bit, work wonders). I've noticed that SLI does work with the vulkan wrapper, unfortunately, I can only get around 30-40 percent GPU utilisation per card. Framerate is smooth, but stuttering is allover the place (same happens when I disable SLI, a tad bit worse framerate, but stuttering is quite consistently crappy).
Try using DX2Vulkan - gplasync and play with the settings from dxvk.conf, might help.

System Name Xpectra
Processor i3 10105F
Motherboard Asrock H470M-HDV
Cooling Cooler Master H410R RGB
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050 Ti Mini
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB+480GB, 1TB+2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Chiptronex C100
Audio Device(s) F&D A110
Power Supply Ant Esports VS500L
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS EGold Bharat Mech Keyboard (Blue Switches)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores nothing special
after latest update (patch 1.0.8) im getting a really weird graphics glitch. The land rises up and characters can be almost completely undergrounded, only the face shows up above the level, i wonder if it's some incompatibility with your DLLs on the new patch

izy

after latest update (patch 1.0.8) im getting a really weird graphics glitch. The land rises up and characters can be almost completely undergrounded, only the face shows up above the level, i wonder if it's some incompatibility with your DLLs on the new patch
I havent tested latest patch yet , was it working ok with the MOD before 1.0.8? I see they made some changes - "Resolution of various graphical issues within the environments for a smoother visual experience" , not sure if it has anything to do with that.
You should try to delete the cache ( vkd3d-proton.cache ) and play with dxvk.conf settings , see if it fixes the problem.

Nova8888

Rx 570 on windows 11 driver 23.8.2 finaly got pass remedy logo by using (d3d12.dll & d3d12core.dll) ver 2.9 but crashes
the moment when i press continue to start new game.:mad:

SO Tried on Ubuntu 22.0.4 everything updated. on lutris if i don't add 3 dll's to game i just get black screen. When i add
dll's to game it starts looks like it's working fine but when i start new game all i get is this 1960 looking dress patterns.:laugh::laugh:

Using Heroic launcher on ubuntu with or without dll's nothing happens when i launch game.:(
(Tried difference commands on lutris and Heroic all needed Visual C++ Redistributable also installed )

Attachments

• 1960.jpg
    1960.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 138

izy

Rx 570 on windows 11 driver 23.8.2 finaly got pass remedy logo by using (d3d12.dll & d3d12core.dll) ver 2.9 but crashes
the moment when i press continue to start new game.:mad:

SO Tried on Ubuntu 22.0.4 everything updated. on lutris if i don't add 3 dll's to game i just get black screen. When i add
dll's to game it starts looks like it's working fine but when i start new game all i get is this 1960 looking dress patterns.:laugh::laugh:

Using Heroic launcher on ubuntu with or without dll's nothing happens when i launch game.:(
(Tried difference commands on lutris and Heroic all needed Visual C++ Redistributable also installed )
I think there are 2 different vulkan drivers for AMD under linux (amdvlk and radv) , maybe it works with one and not the other , anyway i think RX 570 doesnt have much chance to work with either of them.

Edit: If RADV is also installed in the system, AMDVLK driver will be enabled by default after installation. You can switch the driver between AMDVLK and RADV by environment variable AMD_VULKAN_ICD = AMDVLK or RADV.
Some more linux settings: "VKD3D_SHADER_MODEL=6_6 VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_EXT_mesh_shader PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command%"

As for windows i think the Vulkan driver from AMD doesnt work with this MOD with older cards for some reason and mesa for windows skipped the Vulkan implementation in the last versions, last version with Vulkan is mesa3d-22.0.3-release-msvc.7z (for windows)

How my log looks on Windows using DX2Vulkan - gplasync

Code:
info:  DXGI: Hiding actual GPU, reporting vendor ID 0x1002, device ID 73df
info:  Game: AlanWake2.exe
info:  DXVK: v2.3-1-gplasync
info:  Found config file: dxvk.conf
info:  Effective configuration:
info:    dxvk.enableGraphicsPipelineLibrary = True
info:    dxvk.gplAsyncCache = True
info:    dxvk.enableAsync = True
info:  Vulkan: Found vkGetInstanceProcAddr in vulkan-1.dll @ 0x7fff3223d430
info:  Built-in extension providers:
info:    Win32 WSI
info:    OpenVR
info:    OpenXR
info:  OpenVR: could not open registry key, status 2
info:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_EXT_surface_maintenance1
info:    VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface
info:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER:

Tested and it doesnt seem to be bugged here (patch 1.0.8) but my GPU is supported so yeah, going to play with the settings later and see if i can find some settings we can change.

Last edited:

Lordofhell

Guys at last I was able to run the game, it seems game can't run because CPU doesn't support AVX2 so I used Intel Software Development Emulator "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/684897/intel-software-development-emulator.html"
All you need to do is extract the files into game folder, send a shortcut of sde.exe to desktop and rename target location like this > for example: "M:\Games\Alan Wake 2\sde.exe" -hsw -- "M:\Games\Alan Wake 2\AlanWake2.exe"
Now you will need to run as administrator sde.exe shortcut on desktop and game will run.