• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DX12 to Vulkan MOD for older GPUs on Windows

izy

it runs on this mod:
but i'm not sure if it does anything
That MOD is trying to replicate what this MOD does but it doesnt have dxgi.dll in its archive and i think the game will just use your normal driver and will not load the DX12 dlls aka the MOD without it.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 cl36 Oc'd to 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB (non-oc version, undervolted)
Storage 2TB Netac nv7000 + 2TB P5 Plus + 2TB SN850X + 2*(4TB MX500) in raid 0. 14TB Total.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel (P2416D)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w (ud850gm pg5)
Mouse Some piece of shit from China
Keyboard Some piece of shit from China
Software Yes Please?
Kind of curious if modders can get alan wake 2 to run better on older gpus like the 1070 or 1080 ti and how they'd do it ( was the idea just to change APIs? cant see that making too much of a difference).

izy

Kind of curious if modders can get alan wake 2 to run better on older gpus like the 1070 or 1080 ti and how they'd do it ( was the idea just to change APIs? cant see that making too much of a difference).
If you read the main post some people got like 50%+ fps increase , so thats that.. other option is a custom FSR MOD like https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3001 , havent played with FSR mods yet but ill take a look on what that mod does maybe i (or someone that knows what his doing) can make it work for AW2 too , who knows.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
GTX 1080 here.
With vulkan I get bump from around 20 to 25 fps at low settings 3840x2160 fsr perormance (so 1920x1080 native).
With lower resolutions it's actually possible to have average above 30 fps. So it might be somewhat playable.
Big problem is, there are many hitches, like with shader cache compillation. On dx12 those hitches are absent.

View attachment 319590
View attachment 319591

This is why I have zero hopes of my 1080 ever running this game acceptably.

Jaro89

This is why I have zero hopes of my 1080 ever running this game acceptably.
Well, with dxvk-gplasync stuttering is much less intrusive. And with more testing increse was even bigger than I initially posted. I would say that on lower resolutions with half refresh rate vsync (so 30 fps) it's playable but definetevely not optimal (most scenes avove 30 fps but mind palace drops below 20 fps).
So yeah, better to wait until you can buy new gpu or play on console if you have one. Personally, I will buy the XSX version.

izy

You guys can test with this settings in dxvk.conf, i finished the game and uninstalled , if anyone can tell me if the DLSS option is showing, maybe we can make an FSR MOD over DLSS , some gains to be had with that too if its possible to make.

dxgi.customDeviceId = 24c9
dxgi.customVendorId = 10de

dxgi.hideNvidiaGpu = False
dxgi.emulateUMA = False

Last edited:

Ashalanti

You guys can test with this settings in dxvk.conf, i finished the game and uninstalled , if anyone can tell me if the DLSS option is showing, maybe we can make an FSR MOD over DLSS , some gains to be had with that too if its possible to make.

dxgi.emulateUMA = False
Cannot find hideNvidiaGpu. it still won't work on my 1070

izy

Cannot find hideNvidiaGpu. it still won't work on my 1070
You can just copy those lines and put them into dxvk.conf, it should work , i dont know why it doesnt work for you , try reinstalling the game / nvidia drivers etc.
how disable this FSR 2 ?
You cant disable FSR unless you are running at native resolution , but if you refer to FSR MOD over DLSS i see that you can mod some games that when selecting DLSS to use some modded version of FSR that is faster than the built in FSR but im not sure if this settings that i wrote will enable DLSS in AW2 or not.

freeman94

what would be really great, is if they mod fsr motion frame gen, that way maybe gtx series faked frames would give beneficial smoothness, just like it does for AMD users that manually force motion frames gen in drivers settings

zeroelcapo

RTX 2070
+DLDSR 1.78 (1440p)
+DLSS 720p
~55 fps in certain scene.

Vulkan mode:
+DLDSR 1.78(1440p)
+FSR 720p (Dont have DLSS option with vulkan mode)
~75 fps in same scene.

Magic exist :peace:
RTX 2060 here, how do you enable DLDSR?? Is it the same as DLSS Frame Generation? (that option is its greyed out for me..)
Can you please share a screen w the setup you used? Thank you! =D

izy

RTX 2060 here, how do you enable DLDSR?? Is it the same as DLSS Frame Generation? (that option is its greyed out for me..)
Can you please share a screen w the setup you used? Thank you! =D
DLDSR is an option in the NVIDIA panel that lets you add an higher resolution than what your monitor supports that uses AI for upscaling some sort, its nothing like FrameGen , the idea behind it is that you can get a better image quality with a lower DLSS/FSR preset , like if you have an 1080p monitor you can use DLDSR 1.78 and you will have the option ingame to use 1440p resolution (full screen only) then you can set DLSS / FSR to Performance, the game will render at a lower resolution but you might get a better image quality/performance depends on the game.

Last edited:

dany00711

on 1050 ti with patch 1.10 i have less graphics textures glitch in forest section...
on level when i go to morge still graphics glitches on stairs you not see stairs but ground :D but when you go up form morgue stairs are ok. :D

V3nomSnake

Congratulations for your work, you really help a lot of people like me how still have old gpus like 1070/1080 etc.
I have a 1070gtx and using the mod i don't have a stable framerate, it goes from 17-35 fps and also the gpu usage per cent isnt stable too. It changes everytime (49-91%) as the framerate.The game its also installed on an ssd.

My system its a
Windows 10
Ryzen 5700x
32GB Ram
1070gtx 8Gb
I m also using the gplasync version of vulcan. Is this how its supposed to work or am doing something wrong?

Reactions: izy

izy

Congratulations for your work, you really help a lot of people like me how still have old gpus like 1070/1080 etc.
I have a 1070gtx and using the mod i don't have a stable framerate, it goes from 17-35 fps and also the gpu usage per cent isnt stable too. It changes everytime (49-91%) as the framerate.The game its also installed on an ssd.

My system its a
Windows 10
Ryzen 5700x
32GB Ram
1070gtx 8Gb
I m also using the gplasync version of vulcan. Is this how its supposed to work or am doing something wrong?
I guess it depends from GPU to GPU , i also had some unstable framerate time to time on my 2060super but they were rare, the GPU should be in use close to 100% when its working correctly but yeah , does it stay at 90%+ using DX12 (no mod) ? 1080ti had a shot, i dont know what to say about 1070 , i guess its a bit too weak to run the game at 30 fps+.
You can try this hotfix driver from nvidia but i dont know if it will make any difference.
You can also try to disable Core Isolation in Windows and / or add an CFG exception (use the game exe instead of javaw.exe): https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/1...s_Guide/t_add_exploit_protection_win2019.html

Last edited:

V3nomSnake

I guess it depends from GPU to GPU , i also had some unstable framerate time to time on my 2060super but they were rare, the GPU should be in use close to 100% when its working correctly but yeah , does it stay at 90%+ using DX12 (no mod) ? 1080ti had a shot, i dont know what to say about 1070 , i guess its a bit too weak to run the game at 30 fps+.
You can try this hotfix driver from nvidia but i dont know if it will make any difference.
You can also try to disable Core Isolation in Windows and / or add an CFG exception (use the game exe instead of javaw.exe): https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/1...s_Guide/t_add_exploit_protection_win2019.html
Yeah the game stays above 96% with directx12 with fps from 19-24, but without that crazy unstable framerate. im playing almost two hours and the usage its from 70-96 but changes every second. Ive tried the gpu with other games too and the percentage usage its always stable except that.
Also what is this core isolation or what it does?Im kinda noob in some terms hehe. Can you understand anything if i upload my AW2_dxgi settings?

izy

Yeah the game stays above 96% with directx12 with fps from 19-24, but without that crazy unstable framerate. im playing almost two hours and the usage its from 70-96 but changes every second. Ive tried the gpu with other games too and the percentage usage its always stable except that.
Also what is this core isolation or what it does?Im kinda noob in some terms hehe. Can you understand anything if i upload my AW2_dxgi settings?
If the game starts nothing we can see AW2_dxgi log that can help, you can try playing with the settings in dxvk.conf , change the options from True to False (or viceversa) and see if it improves or not.
Core isolation provides added protection against malware and other attacks by isolating computer processes from your operating system and device. It can improve the CPU performance for some apps / games when its disabled.

V3nomSnake

If the game starts nothing we can see AW2_dxgi log that can help, you can try playing with the settings in dxvk.conf , change the options from True to False (or viceversa) and see if it improves or not.
Core isolation provides added protection against malware and other attacks by isolating computer processes from your operating system and device. It can improve the CPU performance for some apps / games when its disabled.
Which one of the settings should i change? There are a lot of values with True or False. Which are the ones that will make more difference?

izy

Which one of the settings should i change? There are a lot of values with True or False. Which are the ones that will make more difference?
You have some uncommented settings at the start of the file (without the # in front) you can try to change those , also you can add this settings under them, try with True and False , its a pretty low chance that they will do much but you can test them and hope :) . (try them using DX2Vulkan - gplasync version)

dxgi.emulateUMA = False

V3nomSnake

You have some uncommented settings at the start of the file (without the # in front) you can try to change those , also you can add this settings under them, try with True and False , its a pretty low chance that they will do much but you can test them and hope :) . (try them using DX2Vulkan - gplasync version)

dxgi.emulateUMA = False
I would like to thank you for everything! It didn't make any difference but its ok,i think im gonna play it like that. Only one last question. Will this mod work if i update the game to latest version? Im still using the 1.06 version of Alan Wake 2.

izy

I would like to thank you for everything! It didn't make any difference but its ok,i think im gonna play it like that. Only one last question. Will this mod work if i update the game to latest version? Im still using the 1.06 version of Alan Wake 2.
Yes it will , it worked for me with 1.0.9 patch and i see no reason for it not to work with last patch too.

Last edited:
As i wrote in the main post: Speculation: the FPS boost using this MOD in Alan Wake 2 might be only because with the MOD Post Processing Quality is completely disabled (you can only set it to LOW in the game on DX12 , is gray out when using the MOD), maybe Vulkan API helps a bit too, i dont know, also using higher texture resolution might not affect performance but will give you better visuals (if vram usage is not over the limit).
Post-processing isn't disabled, it's just greyed out in the menu. You can still change the option to High in the ini and the quality change is there.
Then it seems that its working better on Vulkan than DX12, sadly i cant edit the main post to add a link to my speculation with your post but yeah, good to know.
Maybe, to continue on this line of hypothesizing (like seriously, translation doesn't inherently have to slow down anything, but you wouldn't expect it to speed up things) you could try to play with renderer.ini and cmdline-patcher to see if there's some whatever lower level of settings that can be enabled.