• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Fan Spikes

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
BTW I didn't say GB is bad, I just said it's not as good as these 4 brands I mentioned earlier, that's it. My definition of premium is it has to be almost perfect in every regard.

Ps. I'm outta here, way offtopic and simply to each his own.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's completely off the mark.

- MSI has had serious issues with their GPUs before their solution became as good as it is now. Remember the power issue with Kepler's 660ti? That was 'premium' MSI not more than a few years back and it was a conscious attempt to get on top of benchmarks.
- Similarly, MSI motherboards, even the 'premium' ones, use Killer LAN that causes more issues than it solves.

- Asus, another 'premium' brand, has had several cooling solutions copy/pasted between GPU's not just of different generations, but also different companies (AMD / NVidia). We've seen 280x / 290 with heatpipes that don't connect to the GPU die. Downright lazy, but premium priced. Also, this is a returning issue with Asus cooling solutions, not a 'mistake'.

If you want some more examples, I'll go digging and find a few dozen additional, very conscious cost cutting measures of each company that directly impact the user experience. Name it, I'll deliver.

I think you get the point, you're an intelligent guy. In the case of the Pascal releases so far it seems a returning issue and they are all with the SAME fan part numbers. This is not a GB issue, but a fan part issue.

I would personally RMA the card directly and demand a fan replacement or fix. We should not accept this as customers, and lazy design like this should cost the companies MONEY. It is the only way they will change.

Oh and another thing.
'Premium'

noun
a prize, bonus, or award given as an inducement, as to purchase products, enter competitions initiated by business interests, etc.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/premium

Premium is a marketing term, and says absolutely nothing about product quality. Premium literally means, you are paying a premium for a product that is also available in a cheaper, but exactly similar form. It's an empty word, it is pure marketing and nothing else. If someone tells me its premium, I tend to run away FAST because I know I'm going to get screwed in one way or another. Case in point with these 'premium' cooling solutions.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion but it's completely off the mark.

- MSI has had serious issues with their GPUs before their solution became as good as it is now. Remember the power issue with Kepler's 660ti? That was 'premium' MSI not more than a few years back and it was a conscious attempt to get on top of benchmarks.
- Similarly, MSI motherboards, even the 'premium' ones, use Killer LAN that causes more issues than it solves.

- Asus, another 'premium' brand, has had several cooling solutions copy/pasted between GPU's not just of different generations, but also different companies (AMD / NVidia). We've seen 280x / 290 with heatpipes that don't connect to the GPU die. Downright lazy, but premium priced. Also, this is a returning issue with Asus cooling solutions, not a 'mistake'.

If you want some more examples, I'll go digging and find a few dozen additional, very conscious cost cutting measures of each company that directly impact the user experience. Name it, I'll deliver.

I think you get the point, you're an intelligent guy. In the case of the Pascal releases so far it seems a returning issue and they are all with the SAME fan part numbers. This is not a GB issue, but a fan part issue.

I would personally RMA the card directly and demand a fan replacement or fix. We should not accept this as customers, and lazy design like this should cost the companies MONEY. It is the only way they will change.

Oh and another thing.
'Premium'

noun
a prize, bonus, or award given as an inducement, as to purchase products, enter competitions initiated by business interests, etc.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/premium

Premium is a marketing term, and says absolutely nothing about product quality. Premium literally means, you are paying a premium for a product that is also available in a cheaper, but exactly similar form. It's an empty word, it is pure marketing and nothing else. If someone tells me its premium, I tend to run away FAST because I know I'm going to get screwed in one way or another. Case in point with these 'premium' cooling solutions.

That's true. So what do you think? Grinding sound when the fans start spinning it is a problem? Or not?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That's true. So what do you think? Grinding sound when the fans start spinning it is a problem? Or not?

The only way I would agree with keeping it, is if I had a written statement and guarantee for fan replacement/repair for at least 3 years. These cards are expensive, and must be without faults. It is that simple. I could care less if it's a problem, it is obviously bad design and/or a bad part and warrants a fix.

The only way I would agree with keeping it, is if I had a written statement and guarantee for fan replacement/repair for at least 3 years. These cards are expensive, and must be without faults. It is that simple. I could care less if it's a problem, it is obviously bad design and/or a bad part and warrants a fix.

Obviously, if this problem is very often, it is unlikely that there may be a bad part. These fans (Power Logic) are installed ASUS, MSI, Sapphire, Zotac, EVGA and Gigabyte too. Gigabyte Technical support said that this sound is acceptable, when the fans start spinning after stop mode. What would you do? Would you replace the graphics card, if you has this issue? Anyway we have a warranty of 3 years.

Bloody

I'm torn between keeping it and sending it back. In the end, the zero-fan mode was designed to reduce noise but ended up doing the exact opposite. But I suppose if there's no early failures to expect from the grinding/vibration noise, laziness wins and I'll just keep it. The fans are the only issue I have with this card, everything else is golden - and I can live with having to use a custom fan curve.

I'm torn between keeping it and sending it back. In the end, the zero-fan mode was designed to reduce noise but ended up doing the exact opposite. But I suppose if there's no early failures to expect from the grinding/vibration noise, laziness wins and I'll just keep it. The fans are the only issue I have with this card, everything else is golden - and I can live with having to use a custom fan curve.

I'm pretty sure, that this issue can be solved by BIOS update. I mean fan spikes. Grinding sound when the fans start spinning may be half-solve by BIOS update too. Or maybe BIOS update will be solve 2 problems at once. I know one guy, who gave the GTX 1070 G1 Gaming to the dealer. Dealer tested the card and after 7 days the dealer answered, that the grinding sound is acceptable and not a defect.

I found a way to almost eliminate the problem. If you go into the NVIDIA control panel under the power options set "power optimized". Now the fans will spike when you launch or exit a game. Otherwise, they will be silent.

I just hope this will not result in low framerates?

Processor Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080
Storage SanDisk 1TB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2716DG + P2414H + P2214H
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) ODAC + O2
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 x64
I found a way to almost eliminate the problem. If you go into the NVIDIA control panel under the power options set "power optimized". Now the fans will spike when you launch or exit a game. Otherwise, they will be silent.

I just hope this will not result in low framerates?

Doesn't fix the problem for me. Makes no difference in fact.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Obviously, if this problem is very often, it is unlikely that there may be a bad part. These fans (Power Logic) are installed ASUS, MSI, Sapphire, Zotac, EVGA and Gigabyte too. Gigabyte Technical support said that this sound is acceptable, when the fans start spinning after stop mode. What would you do? Would you replace the graphics card, if you has this issue? Anyway we have a warranty of 3 years.

How often do you want an answer to the same question??? Hate to be blunt but I've been pretty clear on what I'd do, right?

How often do you want an answer to the same question??? Hate to be blunt but I've been pretty clear on what I'd do, right?
I don't quite understand what do you mean by a "written statement"? I have a warranty on the graphics card for 3 years by check. Did not I have a warranty on the graphics card fans? I thought that the 3-year warranty is given for the whole product.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I don't quite understand what do you mean by a "written statement"? I have a warranty on the graphics card for 3 years by check. Did not I have a warranty on the graphics card fans? I thought that the 3-year warranty is given for the whole product.

A written statement would circumvent the warranty guidelines entirely. Regular warranty is always limited by what's in that fine print text in the booklet, and those are a lot of limitations. I would demand a written statement of fan replacement regardless of the circumstances for 3 years. Call it a service contract that they offer you for free, to compensate for the uncertainty you're forced to live with now.

Bottom line, you will probably never get that statement, which leaves you and them with one way out = a fix of this issue. Either way it is important you draw the line and stick to it, screw whatever they say about 'there won't be an issue'. There IS an issue, clear to see and hear, end of story.

A written statement would circumvent the warranty guidelines entirely. Regular warranty is always limited by what's in that fine print text in the booklet, and those are a lot of limitations. I would demand a written statement of fan replacement regardless of the circumstances for 3 years. Call it a service contract that they offer you for free, to compensate for the uncertainty you're forced to live with now.

Bottom line, you will probably never get that statement, which leaves you and them with one way out = a fix of this issue. Either way it is important you draw the line and stick to it, screw whatever they say about 'there won't be an issue'. There IS an issue, clear to see and hear, end of story.

If there is a problem with the fans in the future, then the dealer can to refuse warranty service? I'm not sure that the dealer will be able to give me such a document. Yes, maybe it's a problem, a massive problem. Then Gigabyte should report it as soon as possible and propose options for solving this problem.

Doesn't fix the problem for me. Makes no difference in fact.
That's strange. It should. I tested the behavior of graphics card with gpu-z and this is what I found out.

If the card is set to "power optimized":
The gpu and memory will be constantly in low speed mode (around 250MHz). That said, the temperature won't be rising so it won't hit the 48c. The fans will not start to spin so they won't spike and make grinding sound. I only hear this sound when I start (gpu speed jumps to the max) a game or exit one. Otherwise, dead silent.

If the card is set to "prefer maximum performance":
The gpu and memory will be in low speed mode only when idle. As soon as you will open a program like adobe reader, chrome or even an windows 10 app like weather the gpu speed will jump to the max, temperature will start rising and and the fans will go crazy. So if you are constantly opening or closing windows and programs you will constantly hear this grinding sound.

josefschnitzelbauer

That's strange. It should. I tested the behavior of graphics card with gpu-z and this is what I found out.

The gpu and memory will be constantly in low speed mode (around 250MHz). That said, the temperature won't be rising so it won't hit the 48c. The fans will not start to spin so they won't spike and make grinding sound. I only hear this sound when I start (gpu speed jumps to the max) a game or exit one. Otherwise, dead silent.

The gpu and memory will be in low speed mode only when idle. As soon as you will open a program like adobe reader, chrome or even an windows 10 app like weather the gpu speed will jump to the max, temperature will start rising and and the fans will go crazy. So if you are constantly opening or closing windows and programs you will constantly hear this grinding sound.

Wow, thats annoying :roll:

joora

Just registered to add one more to the G1 1070 woes... Fan ramping up constantly for a second or two then shutting off.
Soooo, a BIOS update that solves this would be very much apprechiated.

Just registered to add one more to the G1 1070 woes... Fan ramping up constantly for a second or two then shutting off.
Soooo, a BIOS update that solves this would be very much apprechiated.
And what about fan grinding sound? Do you have this problem too?

Processor Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080
Storage SanDisk 1TB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2716DG + P2414H + P2214H
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) ODAC + O2
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 x64

Ah, maybe it's my higher than normal ambient temperature. I live in the Caribbean after all...

TheACN

Ok I've just joined to reply to this post. I've read the whole thing and it seems like Gigabyte did try to solve the fan spike issue, but failed. After the BIOS update, my fan (in turbo mode) spikes at around 44 degrees Celsius. If you go into manual mode, you'll see that fans will start/stop constantly when the speed is set to 15%. That tells me these fans are not able to spin on whatever that voltage is. As PWM fans have a fourth pin supplying a constant 12v, the fans do start up, but fail to spin at low RPM.

So, Gigabyte needs to address this issue on BIOS by setting the minimum RPM to ~800, while keeping the fan start/stop curve wider (for example 40 for fan stop and 45 for fan spin in OC mode). This should eliminate the spike once and for all.

My return window will end in about two weeks. If Gigabyte does not issue an update during that time frame, well let's try EVGA for a change.

My question to you all who contributed to this post, what have you done, did you return it or decided to live with the fact?

John

PS. I do have the clicking/weird noise at spin up too, but that doesn't bother me as it only happens once and will go away after fans are spinning.

Bargiena

I probably should've returned my card the week I bought it, but it's too late for that now. So after experimenting with a bunch of settings, I think I found a good balance between fan noise and coil whine. Using the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming utility, I set the fan like this:
1.png
Amusingly, turning off the fan on/off feature under Easy Settings (3D Active Fan) does absolutely nothing. Manual is the only way to go.

I set the clock speed and voltage like this:
2.png
It seems ECO MODE simply keeps the card at its default (1835Mhz) clock speed when games are running. All the other modes seem to exceed the stock clock speed and voltage, which is when coil whine is the worst.

I figure I'm losing 10% performance, but at least the fan isn't making me want to rip the card out of the case anymore. And it's not like this card is slow even with a 10% performance hit. Hopefully Gigabyte will do something about this issue eventually, but I doubt it. They haven't done anything since July.

I probably should've returned my card the week I bought it, but it's too late for that now. So after experimenting with a bunch of settings, I think I found a good balance between fan noise and coil whine. Using the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming utility, I set the fan like this:
View attachment 79056
Amusingly, turning off the fan on/off feature under Easy Settings (3D Active Fan) does absolutely nothing. Manual is the only way to go.

I set the clock speed and voltage like this:
View attachment 79057
It seems ECO MODE simply keeps the card at its default (1835Mhz) clock speed when games are running. All the other modes seem to exceed the stock clock speed and voltage, which is when coil whine is the worst.

I figure I'm losing 10% performance, but at least the fan isn't making me want to rip the card out of the case anymore. And it's not like this card is slow even with a 10% performance hit. Hopefully Gigabyte will do something about this issue eventually, but I doubt it. They haven't done anything since July.
You should try out my "fix", post #191. The spikes still occur when I open or close a game, but I don't hear them.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

Thats why I have turned off hardware acceleration in my browsers and office apps.
Not owning a GB card though. But I like to keep my hardware running cool.:)

TheNyo

I was planning to get a Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming but yall scaring me with those fans and coil whine problems...

Some people told me, that if you turn the PC Case upside down, the grinding sound is disappears. Is it so?:confused:

Also, many people told me that the grinding sound appear when the fan touches the wire. This is true?