1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good airflow case recommendations

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by psyko12, Oct 8, 2017.

1. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    ^ Title, but please recommend only Mid-Towers.

I'm planning to move my items from specs to a newer case, I feel the 400r (altho good, it has been used for 2 builds/upgrade cycle already. This is it's 3rd.) a bit to crowded or cramped.

I was looking at Define R5 and it's BE variant, Meshify C. I fear that the noctua cooler would not fit the case.

As I have it set up right now it's in push push config on the tower sinks. And the 1st fan is slightly raised due to the TridentZ's sinks.

Any suggestions are very highly welcome.

P.S. also checked out some of InWin's offerings and some of the can support the nh-d15 but with the default fan and sink height of 165mm.
    Also why not go AIO? Because I'm not comfy with them and vs. failure on fan cooled heatsinks if something fails it's just a fan replacement vs. the aio units.

Am not bothered by fan noise (I have a rattling electric fan behind me and even if I clean/oil the heck out of it it still does the noise).

Aslo does the side ventilation design of r5 and other cases that use the same front panel design would really be great impact for airflow?
    My last option is a Corsair AIR 540, if I can find a local store who has stock for this.

Thanks alot TPU! :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    Cooler Master h500p
    0a11f5026cb7.jpg
    Should be launching this month

psyko12 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Whats that intake-fan diameter?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Wow! Thanks, hope our local stores would carry that product. I'll just have to wait for it. Or if any other suggestion comes into mind that is already out in the market please let me know.

200 mm!! Deym thats huge!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    P4-630 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
  6. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:

Been eyeing the DR5 and Meshify C but my primary concerns for them are:
    Def R5 / Phanteks P400 - the way the front is designed, would it affect the airflow greatly? And would dust get built up on the side vents of the front panel.

Meshify C- might not clear my noctua cooler if it's in push push with a raised 1st fan. Saw someone who built on it with the same cooler changed it to pull pull just to make it fit.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Just about any case (from at least a semi-reputable manufacture & up) goes through months (if not longer) of research and development , nowadays it pretty hard to find flat out terrible purchase , unless you buy some no-name china import.

Is long as you pick something from one of the more well-known manufactures you'll be fine. Not to mention almost all decent cases are built with a front radiator mount in mind as well (like the enthoo proM), which u can mount a 360+ millimeter radiator behind the front bezel.

I wouldn't sweat it my opinion is if you bought either of those cases I linked you be perfectly happy

rtwjunkie and psyko12 say thanks.
  8. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    psyko12 says thanks.
  9. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Alright, Those cases are up to my alley not too gimmicky and just simple and elegant. I probably need to see it in person to check. Or watch some review videos, I also am leaning towards meshify c at the moment, as I can set up the fans for pull pull and maybe loose 1-2c but will let the case fans compensate for it.

Meshify-C: I'm thinking of putting in maybe 3 intakes in front and 2 exhaust for the meshify or prolly just 1 good 140 fan would do.

Will check vids for p400.

Thanks for the good recommendations ! :cheers:

Ohhh is that the modular cases (master box series). Have forgot to check those! Thanks for reminding me.

I think I found something that'd fit the monster cooler without problems

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

Not sure if it's a mid tower but seeing the measurements of it's height it'd fit perfectly fine on my table and it's almost the same dimensions of my 400r!

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Ever since I saw this case on Hardware Canucks youtube channel I wanted one.Not the tempered glass model but the regular one, but it is not available in my country

11. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I've checked here and there are some local stores that sell it. I'm canvassing now to see where I can get it a bit cheaper.

I'd probably add some 140mm fans on there so I'll replace the phanteks one with 2 of other branded fans of 140mm as intake
    and make the phanteks fans as exhaust I'd mount it on the top.

What are good 140mm fans (not much into RGB but hey that'd be a bonus so I can change color themes and use it as static instead)?

Atm on my 400r I only have 120mm's.
    2x 120mm SP120 front
    1x 120mm rear exhaust (AF)
    1x 120mm bottom intake (AF)
    1x 120mm ghetto twistied pointing at the ram from the 5.2" bay (AF)

Thanks!

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    CM HAF series or Aerocool Xpredator series.

psyko12 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    If you don't need a 5.25" bay, I would suggest the Define S instead of the Define R5. It has room for 3 140mm fan support in the front.

psyko12 says thanks.
  14. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    if your local store carries any cooler master products you can request them to get it for you.

psyko12 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Oh btw just an update I've already went ahead and ordered the enthoo pro m tg. Not too flashy and it's almost the same dimension as the corsair 400r but a bit wider. Plus the ports facing the side suits my set up fine. I have the sys unit on top of my desk with the side facing me. Also got a 2pack corsair ml 140s.

I'll be moving the 1x phanteks fan from the front to be top exhaust and the 2 ml 140s will be in front. Thanks for the suggestions! Surely another will find this thread helpful if they use a monster tower sink.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. GorbazTheDragon

GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Just bought a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M the other week, great case, very clean airflow and lots of drive space if you need it. Rather good value too honestly.

psyko12 says thanks.
  17. Hnykill22

Hnykill22

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Obsidian 450D. has real good airflow and big open holes in the case. not that fine mesh that some cases use.

psyko12 and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
  18. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Disappointing that no one suggested the 600C/Q, even if it is listed as a full tower case. But, it seems that people just don't get it.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/218194/...d-atx-cases-the-carbide-600q-and-carbide-600c
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Carbide_600C/

But the P400???? it only has those small slots on the top and bottom of the front panel. Although the Pro M is a good flowing case, many of the Phantek cases are form over function, and you don't have to take my word for that:

The Define S is a great water cooling case, but for what ever reason, they lost the back panel that both the R5 and the C use which reduces air flow out the back and past the GPU's.

psyko12 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I bit the bullet and took the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M with me, it really suits my set up fine and dwarfs the Noctua Nh-D15! :D
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    ^Just testing still organizing my cables
    And it has a wyvern guarding it inside, Gore Magala from Monster Hunter

Feels good:
    Fans haven't been set up with speeds yet so...

Although I did have a hard time (not really used to shrouded psus) putting the psu cables in due to limited space and my big hands lol, well atleast I managed to put the cables in securely!
    Quick question tho, where's the HDD led activity indicator on this case tho? Might have put the leads in wrong or I'm just blind.

The case is awesome. Airflow is good, put in 2 140 ML fans running at 50%, made the stock phatheks fan as an intake above near the rams but it's running at a lower rpm :D and lastly 1 140mm exhaust full speed (very quiet!)

I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions! Much appreciated!

Now I'm just waiting for some psu extensions and hopefully upgrading my gfx card by next year :v

EDIT: Found the hdd activity led rofl it's around the reset button. And I had my leads/connectors reversed, good thing it didn't mess up anything.. Everything working now :love:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Norton says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. GorbazTheDragon

GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    If you think it dwarfs your NH-D15, you should see what it does to my ITX board :D

psyko12 says thanks.