• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide to Video BIOS flashing

D

Dinmaster007

i got it working, but it re-named my card from a x800 pro-vivo pci-e to a x800se.... probably because of a laser cut? or something. i dont know, i heard that if you have a laser cut that you can fix it byusing one of those conductive pens.

P

pl4gue

x800pro's don't have lasercuts .... which bios did you flash ? did you do a BACKUP of youre old bios?

D

dinmaster007

yea i did have a backup , its ok. i have a pci-e x800 pro vivo. im going to use the hardware mod. with the conductive paint to unlock it

Aguiar

Processor Prescott 2.8@3.16 # P4 3.2@3.5
Motherboard ASUS P4C800 Deluxe # MSI 915p Neo2 Platinum
Cooling Stock # Stock
Memory 4x512 PC3200 KINGSTON @DUAL # 1.512 TwinM /533
Video Card(s) 9800SE 128 R350@385/340 # X600HDMI
Storage 200 Gb # 2x80 GB RAID (0)
Display(s) CRT 17" SyncMaster # CRT 17" PHILIPS
Audio Device(s) Audigy2 # ONBOARD
Power Supply 580 w # 350 w
Software Windows XP Pro/SP2 & UBUNTU 7.10
hullo! softmoded a 9800SE and everything went ok , except that i can´t make the Windows XP pro boot with AGPx4 that is fully supported at my MOBO (sl-kv2-ct).It runs ok when I enable it and reinitiate , but when I shut down Windows and boot it the next time I have no boot , must enter "security mode" , uninstall the drivers and only then it boot up.I wonder if it´s because the drivers (softmoded) aren´t WHQL ?
Apreciate any consideration about...URLYIN hope you´re fine.

U

Unregistered

cant flash agp bios

hi, I have an ATI 9600 PRO, and when i turn my computer on, lights and fans turn on but there´s no POST, i know it´s the video card because i tried another one and the computer started, i took it to check and they told me the card is fine (it has continuty or something) so i thought maybe the vga bios got corrupted, im trying to flash the card bios but the computer wont boot if the agp card is there, i can boot it just with the pci... i checked bios settings and primary vga bios is set to PCI. my mobo is an asus A7N8X deluxe. any sugestions? thanks...

U

Unregistered

Asus x800pro ViVo

hi i have a x800pro r420 and i wanna flash it 2 xt 16p i have flashed it with a gigabyte xt bios , ati xt pe bios and many but i get no 16pipelines but i get 520/560 with 12p ... sombody can help me ???

sorry for bad english ...

Greets

GeZuS

Got a proplem with flashing my 9800 pro to XT. i got an error. i put a pci card in so i could reflash my 9800 paperwight, and i keep getting errors trying to flash that. it keep saying "Flash not detected" i tryed atiflash, and flashrom. im clueless. please help!!!

U

Unregistered

How come in the BIOS collection for sapphire there are multiple BIOSs for x800xt pe in AGP, except none in PCI-e?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I have a Palit 9800 SE 256bit with 128MB Samsung 2.8 memory. It softmods perfectly with both W1zzard's drivers and the Omegas. Now I want to BIOS flash it to a 9800 PRO, but flashrom and atiflash don't seem to work.

Whenever I try to flash a BIOS to the card, flasrom and atiflash report "Error 0FL01". I can't find a Palit BIOS for a 9800 PRO so I've tried the flash with other PRO BIOSes with 2.8 Samsumg memory - but I get the same error message every time. I even tried dumping my card's original BIOS, changing the clocks, and flashing it back - but I still get "Error 0FL01"! Even when using the -f switch.

Does this mean my card's BIOS is locked in some way? Or do I need to specify an additional switch(es) to flashrom or atiflash?

C

CoLdFuSiOn

ATIflash issue

Hello, I have been trying to flash my video card using ATIflash and somehow can't get it to work. I have a Sapphire X800 Pro PCIE and I'm trying to flash it to a Sapphire X800 XT PCIE to unlock the 16 pipes.

I've gotten ATIflash loaded via DOS and I've gotten to the point where I type A:\atiflash and it shows the list of commands that you can use. But, when I try to flash the bios, or when I try to save it, it just sits there after I hit enter. No messages, no errors, nothing. All it shows is a blank line that I can't type anythign into.

Any suggestions?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
you must use the modded flashrom from this site to change pipeline configuration

U

Unregistered

Omg Read This

Ok, i flashed x850 pro (ATI) - to ati X850xt, vwalla - anywho, temps didnt jump much... didnt unlock the pipes =(..... all the sudden 92c..... wowa! Ok, for some odd reason I donno why, but... This bios disables the fan on the GPU! omgooses....... well i saw it happen flashed it back, thought i did something wrong. Redownloaded, new disk... flashed again no pipes, but clocks came out ok... fan goes off ='(

U

Unregistered

HI guys,

Im having problems with making my USB boot disk. I used a slightly different guide and got the boot sector on the device and was able to boot into DOS from the USB.

About an hour later i decided to put some files on it to see if i could access them via DOS.
When i plugged the device in again, it showed up like usual as new hardware then rebooted my computer.

I tried seeing if my MB Bios would recognize it as it did before but it doesnt even recognize it. I tried pressing the reset button on the device (MPIO FL100 mp3 player) to no avail.

I just want to get it to show up for like 30 seconds so i can put the original files back on and use the guide from this site. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

U

Unregistered

flashing X800Pro to XT

I've been trying to flash my Asus X800Pro VIVO to unlock the additional 4 pipes. But whenever i use flashrom to change my bios to a 16 pipe Pro, or even an XT nothing changes accept the clock speed. I never get the additional 4 pipelines. Is there anything that you have to do after you made the disk, load it in bios, and send it as flashrom -f -p 0 namethatcamewithfile.bin? it loads and everything works fine, but i never get the additional 4 pipelines. Could it be that my VIVO model doesn't have them on here, or am i doing something wrong? please help

Conlan

I also cannot get the modded flashrom to work in DOS. I have followed the C3D mod article to the letter. Any help???

Conlan

NM i got it. I had to extract the flashrom files to the desktop, then send them to the floppy one at a time. Booted into DOS and unlocked 4 pipes.

saraskas

Urlyin said:
If you're running XP just put a blank disk in the floppy drive select My Computer. right click on the A: drive and select Format, in format there is a selection to create a bootable disk. Create the disk and copy the flashrom files and the Bios file you plan to use. Rename the BIOS file to 8 characters with the same file extention of .bin and then you should be ready to boot from the floppy...
At the a: prompt type flashrom -f -p 0 biosname.bin ( that's a zero not the letter O )

good luck :)

Hi,
Sorry for this kind of question:
How to copy flashrom files into a flopy: into 1 folder, or to copy each file separately?
Cheers
Saras

trents

Where's the content for ATI flash using windows?

Where's the content? The page is there but is blank. Is it no longer possible to flash from Windows?

sp1n

hey, I've decided to make a DOS partition for flashing. I've gone trough all steps and now I need to put DOS on that partition... where do I get some of that from?

sp1n

trents said:
Where's the content? The page is there but is blank. Is it no longer possible to flash from Windows?

You have to use WinFox for that. Download from here then go to

<primary>\Windows\system32\WinFox\wfxflash.exe

trents

sp1n said:
hey, I've decided to make a DOS partition for flashing. I've gone trough all steps and now I need to put DOS on that partition... where do I get some of that from?

You can get a FreeDos from:www.freedos.org/

It's an open source community project, like Linux is.

Why in the world do you want to go to all the trouble to put a dos partition on your harddrive just to flash your video card? Don't you have a floppy drive or a cd burner?

Steve

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
sp1n said:
You have to use WinFox for that. Download from here then go to

<primary>\Windows\system32\WinFox\wfxflash.exe

does winfox work on all nvidia cards?

sp1n

trents, I've got a burner but I know you can't burn (backup) from DOS, so I've had to do this, and my floppy drive is ..uhmm... it maybe faulty diskettes but doesn't seem to work at all :/

W1zzard, I've downloaded WinFox to flash my bios for a 6600LE, all I've got was a horrible (and I mean it) GUI made by someone high. That utility didn't work for me, maybe it will for you, but put on your radiation googles for that GUI before you try it out.

trents

SP1n,

To create a DOS partition you will either have to repartition your hard drive (wich means having to reload Windows and all your software) or use some kind of partition resizing utility. There is a free open source program for doing this called "GParted" that comes with the Linux distro "Ubuntu 5.10 Live". This is a Linux version that runs entirely from a CD so you can try it and not have to load it on your hard drive. I don't know if much else that is free out there. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it. You may already have something to do that, however

sp1n

trents said:
SP1n,

To create a DOS partition you will either have to repartition your hard drive (wich means having to reload Windows and all your software) or use some kind of partition resizing utility. There is a free open source program for doing this called "GParted" that comes with the Linux distro "Ubuntu 5.10 Live". This is a Linux version that runs entirely from a CD so you can try it and not have to load it on your hard drive. I don't know if much else that is free out there. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it. You may already have something to do that, however

thanks for the effort of typing it all, but I've already figured and done it 5 minutes after my first post here:D (you can do it easily in Windows with Disk Management)

did all of that only to know that my 6600LE was A4 revision and hw locked..