• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Tweaking 8550u In ThrottleStop

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What sort of issues? Are you getting errors when benchmark testing? Is your computer still crashing? BSOD? If your computer is not stable at an undervolt of -50 mV then I guess you will have to try 0 mV and start from there. At default voltage, every CPU should be 100% stable.

satipler

I am having bad throttling issues too plz help

My throttling is bad and I don't really know what I'm doing on throttlestop even after reading everything I could. Plus I locked the settings by accident in the TPL tab so I'm in a bad spot rn.

This is the forum where my attached images are unclewebb

I have a reasonably stable setup now but I have a lot of limits popping up when I do a TS Bench or am in games. Looking at my settings can anyone help me resolve all these issues?

Attachments

• x.PNG
    x.PNG
    564.5 KB · Views: 492
  • y.PNG
    y.PNG
    315.1 KB · Views: 482
  • zz.PNG
    zz.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 2020-02-28.txt
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
  • Updated settings FIVR feburary 28th.PNG
    Updated settings FIVR feburary 28th.PNG
    789.8 KB · Views: 405
  • Updated settings TPL Februrary 28th.PNG
    Updated settings TPL Februrary 28th.PNG
    255.9 KB · Views: 368
  • updated stats that are stable but a lot of limits.PNG
    updated stats that are stable but a lot of limits.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 389
Last edited:

veryh2o

Unclewebb, I ram throttlestop TS bench and prime 95. C930 didn't freeze, BSOD or anything, just temp got real high, and most of the limit lights turn on. Is this normal?

What sort of issues? Are you getting errors when benchmark testing? Is your computer still crashing? BSOD? If your computer is not stable at an undervolt of -50 mV then I guess you will have to try 0 mV and start from there. At default voltage, every CPU should be 100% stable.

Attachments

• throttle2-29.png
    throttle2-29.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 2020-02-29.txt
    605.8 KB · Views: 124

unclewebb

Is this normal?
Sort of. Your laptop is thermal throttling. The heatsink and fan are not capable of cooling the CPU. When fully unlocked, the 8550U is a beastly CPU. If you want more performance, you need to improve cooling. Better thermal paste or some other engineering magic might help your CPU run faster, longer before throttling begins.

veryh2o

Sort of. Your laptop is thermal throttling. The heatsink and fan are not capable of cooling the CPU. When fully unlocked, the 8550U is a beastly CPU. If you want more performance, you need to improve cooling. Better thermal paste or some other engineering magic might help your CPU run faster, longer before throttling begins.

open the laptop and paste a new thermo paste on cpu and gpu is way over my head. I am not sure if I am capable of doing that. I have already spent many many hours just to try to figure out throttlestop. I think I will just try to tweak more with throttlestop just to satisfy my curiosity. I don't need more performance from the cpu since C930 doesn't have a dedicated GPU so practically no games that can be played on this laptop.

thanks Unclewebb for helping out.

FIROGR

Hello! I have Lenovo T480 laptop with i7-8550u processor. I use that laptop for Java coding and World of Warcraft with external GPU RTX 2070 Super. Last one gives me some problem with FPS.
FPS is great on WoW in situations where there is not so much players fps is around 140-200. On situations where is lots of other players (raids) fps drops to 30-50fps.
What I have looked on resource monitor game is getting more CPU demanding on those scenarios where is lots of players. In these cases CPU usage is around 40-50% so its not so bad. The thing what matters on those heavy scenarios is CPU’s GHz. So is it possible to rise CPU clocks to around 3.8-4.0GHz with 40-50% CPU load?
What kind off Throttlestop settings you recommend for this kind of scenario?

Edit1: My goal is to maintain high CPU clocks under 30-55% load.

Edit2: I undervolted cpu 100mW and took power limit to 45W. When I ran these test I faced thermal throtling. Well I wanted to know how fast this machine can go with out thermal throtling...
I used vacuum cleaner to cool that poor laptop :D Well there is resaults on this pic.
1588599137847.png

Power limit didn't go beyond 40.3W and maximum clocks were about 3,7GHz. I canot get beyond 3,7GHz even with 50% cpu load and with out therlmal throttling.What prevents my processor from going over 3,7GHz with 50% CPU load?

Edit3: Well I answer for my self if some1 else is looking for answers. I7-8550u is not so good for gaming because all core max turbo is 3,7GHz https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8550u
I7-8650u would be much better because it have 3,9GHz all core boost https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8650u

Last edited:
System Name HP 14 cf0043TX
Processor Intel Core i7 8550u
Motherboard lmao hp motherboard
Cooling craptop cooling
Memory 8gb DDR4 ram (dual channel)
Video Card(s) Radeon 530 and Intel Graphics 620
Storage Adata XPG SX6000 lite + a seagate 1tb hard drive
Display(s) Laptop monitor
Case Sexy HP plastic finish
Audio Device(s) HP speakers or my Bose QC35II
Power Supply Laptop power supply
Mouse A crappy dell mouse for school and a MSI interceptor mouse
Keyboard Phantom RGB keyboard and HP defauly keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores always get 70-80 percent mark for my i7.
Hey guys,
There is something really weird about my undervolt or change in settings in throttlestop and I don't seem to know how to fix it. You see my cpu sometimes would run a pretty consistent 3.7mhz but at the same time it will also bottleneck really hard sometimes down to 1.8 ghz. Can someone give me a fix because it is really really annoying when my cpu sometimes throttles really hard.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hey guys,
There is something really weird about my undervolt or change in settings in throttlestop and I don't seem to know how to fix it. You see my cpu sometimes would run a pretty consistent 3.7mhz but at the same time it will also bottleneck really hard sometimes down to 1.8 ghz. Can someone give me a fix because it is really really annoying when my cpu sometimes throttles really hard.
List all specifications and model numbers, and include screenshots of Throttlestop settings please.

Cooling craptop cooling
HP 14-cf0043tx
i7 8550u
Radeon 530
8gb DDR4 Ram
Adata XPG SX6000 lite SSD
Running windows version 1909

List all specifications and model numbers, and include screenshots of Throttlestop settings please.
I also realized something very odd about my laptop. Whenever I shut down and reboot my system, it will throttle at 1.8ghz(base clock) but whenever I restart my system it doesn't throttle as hard.

this is what happens when the laptop throttles extremely hard.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    605.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    370.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    808 KB · Views: 384
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    531.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    705.7 KB · Views: 274

unclewebb

You have Speed Shift enabled (SST) so do not check the Set Multiplier box. These two CPU control methods are not compatible. Clear the Set Multiplier box.

Your screenshot shows a black dot beside the word Throttle and it shows power consumption at 8.3 Watts so it is definitely throttling. Open up the Limit Reasons window. You should see at least one of the indicators in that window glowing red. Post a screenshot that includes Limit Reasons when throttling.

You definitely need to check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits setting. That might help but with a HP laptop with a low power U series CPU, there are no guarantees.

Cooling craptop cooling
You have Speed Shift enabled (SST) so do not check the Set Multiplier box. These two CPU control methods are not compatible. Clear the Set Multiplier box.

Your screenshot shows a black dot beside the word Throttle and it shows power consumption at 8.3 Watts so it is definitely throttling. Open up the Limit Reasons window. You should see at least one of the indicators in that window glowing red. Post a screenshot that includes Limit Reasons when throttling.

You definitely need to check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits setting. That might help but with a HP laptop with a low power U series CPU, there are no guarantees.
Hey uncleweb,
Thank you so much for the fix. Right now I've tested it this did the trick as my CPU doesn't throttle down to 1.8ghz anymore. I appreciate your help.

Hey uncleweb,
Thank you so much for the fix. Right now I've tested it this did the trick as my CPU doesn't throttle down to 1.8ghz anymore. I appreciate your help.

**edit**
it is sort of fixed but sometimes it will throttle again at 1.8ghz. Could this be some driver error?

Attachments

• Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    636.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

unclewebb

Your screenshot shows your 15 Watt CPU is running at 35 Watts. That looks pretty good to me. If your expectations are to run a low power 15W CPU at more than 100% beyond its rated TDP and you would like to do this indefinitely, you might have to adjust your expectations. Some laptops are capable of doing crazy stuff like that but many are not.

Could this be some driver error?
Definitely not. Intel's H series of CPUs have a 45W TDP rating. If you needed that level of performance, you should have bought a laptop with one of them.

If you are using your laptop for games, turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and go play a game for 15 minutes or longer. When you are done, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach that information to your next post and I will have a look at it.

FrOZeNGuN

Hey I have a hp laptop i7 8565u 8th gen AND it throotles too much and the heat IS too high idk what settings i should try + i have every 1 minute drop fps in games and freezing and Mhz drops from 3.6 to 330 or 1.100 This is my seeting Plz help Im not a professionel on those things .

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 307
  • 2.png
    2.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 1.png
    1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 295

unclewebb

The 8565U is a low power CPU. It has a 15W TDP rating. Intel designs these CPUs so they throttle on a regular basis. They are not designed to provide consistent, long term, performance. They can be terrible CPUs for gaming. An H series CPU with a 45W TDP rating is a better choice for gaming.

Your ThrottleStop settings look great. Some HP laptops will ignore your ThrottleStop turbo power settings and will reduce the power down to the 15W level. It is a 15W processor so this is normal for these CPUs. If this is happening, there is nothing you can do to fix that problem.

You can turn on the Log File option and play a game for at least 15 minutes. This will create a record of your CPU performance. If there are some bad throttling problems, this will show up in the log file. After you are finished testing, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop. You will find a log file in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach that file to your next post and I will have a look at it.

FrOZeNGuN

Okey i will see btw itried my undervolt cpu settings and with -170mhz my games crash after 2 3 minute of playing So can u give me some good settings in overall and i will make the test of 15 min BTW I HAVE SOME BAD LATENCY and micro stutters so there is a fix for it ? + give me some good settings for TPL TY for responding :)

Cooling craptop cooling
Your screenshot shows your 15 Watt CPU is running at 35 Watts. That looks pretty good to me. If your expectations are to run a low power 15W CPU at more than 100% beyond its rated TDP and you would like to do this indefinitely, you might have to adjust your expectations. Some laptops are capable of doing crazy stuff like that but many are not.

Definitely not. Intel's H series of CPUs have a 45W TDP rating. If you needed that level of performance, you should have bought a laptop with one of them.

If you are using your laptop for games, turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and go play a game for 15 minutes or longer. When you are done, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach that information to your next post and I will have a look at it.
Hey uncleweb here is the log files for my laptop. I was playing csgo and do note that i did a benchmark at the beginning of the log file.

Attachments

• 2020-05-11.txt
    110.9 KB · Views: 226

unclewebb

it is sort of fixed but sometimes it will throttle again at 1.8 GHz
There is not a single instance in the log file of your CPU running at 1.8 GHz. If you see this speed on screen while in game, ignore this info because it is not true. Go by what the log file is telling you for CPU speed.

Your CPU spends most of the time over 3.0 GHz. CPU temperatures slowly increase into the 90°C to 95°C range. There might be a little more performance left in your CPU but you will need to improve your cooling first. There is no point in raising your power limits and trying to go faster when you are already on the edge of thermal throttling.

FrOZeNGuN

@unclewebb this is the log file and this is the settings I used What i should do ?!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 2.png
    2.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 3.png
    3.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 2020-05-11.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 111

unclewebb

The log file shows your CPU is reaching 95°C, 96°C, 97°C. Your laptop is set to thermal throttle and slow down at those temperatures. Power consumption when this happens is only 17 W and the CPU is only half loaded. That means the cooling solution on your laptop is completely inadequate. It can barely maintain this performance level and there is no room to make adjustments to go beyond this performance level. The Nvidia GPU is also very hot at 90°C so it might have reached its maximum thermal throttling temperature too.

What i should do?
You should trade your laptop in for one with better cooling or you should be happy with the performance you are presently getting out of it. The 8565U is a 15W CPU and you are getting just slightly more than that out of it. Some laptops can go way beyond their rated TDP without reaching the thermal throttling limits. Your laptop cannot.

Tommah

Hello, everyone,

i have a ThinkPad T480s with Nvidia MX150 and an i7 8550U, both hanging on a heatpipe with fan. The T480s is very compact in design, so I often have to deal with almost 100° under load. I had exchanged thermal paste for a MX2.
Over Intel XTU I set the offset to -0,100mv, Turbo Boost Short Power Max from 44W to 22W, so I can reach max 75 to 80 degrees
Unfortunately the settings are not applied at autostart, so my first attempts with Throttlestop.

How do the settings from the BIOS for Battery safer and performance play a role here?

Thanks

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 22.png
    22.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 33.png
    33.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 197
Hello, everyone,

i have a ThinkPad T480s with Nvidia MX150 and an i7 8550U, both hanging on a heatpipe with fan. The T480s is very compact in design, so I often have to deal with almost 100° under load. I had exchanged thermal paste for a MX2.
Over Intel XTU I set the offset to -0,100mv, Turbo Boost Short Power Max from 44W to 22W, so I can reach max 75 to 80 degrees
Unfortunately the settings are not applied at autostart, so my first attempts with Throttlestop.

How do the settings from the BIOS for Battery safer and performance play a role here?

Thanks
Remove XTU and cpu & cachce have to be same in this model I think. Also remove PP0 lock, raise your turbo ratio limits and enable speedsift at start.

Tommah

I cannot deactivate PP0 lock.
I have uninstalled XTU.
changed cache also to -0,106mv
speedshift should be activ

Turbo ratio limits were at 44, so the part got very warm quite fast. Is there a recommendation here? :)

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 22.png
    22.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 33.png
    33.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 222.png
    222.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 197
I cannot deactivate PP0 lock.
I have uninstalled XTU.
changed cache also to -0,106mv
speedshift should be activ

Turbo ratio limits were at 44, so the part got very warm quite fast. Is there a recommendation here? :)
Change that speedsift 128 to 0. Also iccmax to max and remove speedstep x.

Turbo ratio limits were at 44, so the part got very warm quite fast. Is there a recommendation here?
Sorry my fault that turbo ratio limits. I mean turbo ratio power limits. Put something like 50 there and test.

Last edited:

Tommah

BatteryProfile:
Speedshift to 0 = Done
iccmax to 255,75
removed speedstep x.

Performance:
same settings (tdp 30, stock was 44)

Log with TS Bench up to 98°, room temp around 25°

Attachments

• 2020-07-13.txt
    80.4 KB · Views: 122