• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High temps on an ASUS ROG laptop

SlySkill

So while working on Lightroom and Photoshop the temps gone up to 89c again. I guess i do not have any other choices but to return the laptop. :(

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Those temps are still perfectly normal for that laptop.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
While there are a lot of knowledgeable members replying this one stands out.
Those temps are still perfectly normal for that laptop.
Not that I'm in to blowing other people's trumpets for them, respect where it is due :pimp:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
To remove the confusion:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/112251

Quote:
1.While the system is idle:
You can expect temperatures from 30°C to 40°C.
2.While the system is under high load:
Temperatures may vary from 70°C to 90°C.
3.Which temps are dangerous:
Over 100°C, information can be found here (*look for TJunction).
4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?
As the temperature fluctuates, there isn't a specific temperature, it can go up to 100°C and could drop to 80°C or 90°C.
5. And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature? Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling, and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?
Altering the CPU frequency may affect the system stability and it is unsupported, it also voids the warranty of your product.
Intel® Processors will shut down your system automatically in case the system overheats, this to prevent any damage to the system.

NOW: this is an answer to your CPU specification limits. Your LAPTOP specifications are another thing, and that is what @cdawall is referring to and also what I was referring to: the vast majority of laptops do not provide adequate cooling to keep these CPUs from their throttle points. Going towards or above 85-87 C = throttling.

If your laptop is dust-free then the only logical next step is to open it up and replace the TIM.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Some here are saying i should return it, some say it's perfectly normal. I'm confused now. :D

I work with these units on a daily basis. The latops all bring temps up to that level. There are several reasons for this, higher fan speeds annoy users, burn through the battery faster and have been long since proven to not improve longevity of the CPU.

For perspective the release price on my Thinkpad yoga 12 was something like $1700 (i7 5500u, 8GB, pair of SSD's etc) it is just the CPU being cooled and it runs into the 80-90C range easily doing VM's etc. I mention the price to point out it doesn't matter what the laptop costs, that is just how warm they run.

System Name The Mini Nuke
Processor Intel i9-9900K at 4.9GHz -1AVX Vffset 1.27V
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi
Cooling NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory Model F4-4000C17Q-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 1 LG 27GL850-B and 2 ROG Swift PG278Q
Case NZXT - H700 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 - 1000W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
There was a similar thread on the ROG forums and they said it was fixed with bios update 3.0. So I would check to make sure you're running the latest bios.

SlySkill

To remove the confusion:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/112251

Quote:
1.While the system is idle:
You can expect temperatures from 30°C to 40°C.
2.While the system is under high load:
Temperatures may vary from 70°C to 90°C.
3.Which temps are dangerous:
Over 100°C, information can be found here (*look for TJunction).
4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?
As the temperature fluctuates, there isn't a specific temperature, it can go up to 100°C and could drop to 80°C or 90°C.
5. And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature? Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling, and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?
Altering the CPU frequency may affect the system stability and it is unsupported, it also voids the warranty of your product.
Intel® Processors will shut down your system automatically in case the system overheats, this to prevent any damage to the system.

NOW: this is an answer to your CPU specification limits. Your LAPTOP specifications are another thing, and that is what @cdawall is referring to and also what I was referring to: the vast majority of laptops do not provide adequate cooling to keep these CPUs from their throttle points. Going towards or above 85-87 C = throttling.

If your laptop is dust-free then the only logical next step is to open it up and replace the TIM.

I have replaced the TIM few days ago and the temps are almost unchanged. I used Arctic Silver 5.
Thanks for your reply.

I work with these units on a daily basis. The latops all bring temps up to that level. There are several reasons for this, higher fan speeds annoy users, burn through the battery faster and have been long since proven to not improve longevity of the CPU.

For perspective the release price on my Thinkpad yoga 12 was something like $1700 (i7 5500u, 8GB, pair of SSD's etc) it is just the CPU being cooled and it runs into the 80-90C range easily doing VM's etc. I mention the price to point out it doesn't matter what the laptop costs, that is just how warm they run.
But aren't these temps too dangerous for the motherboard and other components around the CPU? I don't plan to change the laptop earlier than 2 years or maybe 3 before i can upgrade.
I also have an I7-6700k in a desktop and it doesn't even reach 80c when doing heavy tasks like exporting 700-1000 photos from Lightroom.
The IDLE temp on 6700K is 20-27c and the laptop doesn't go below 40c.

There was a similar thread on the ROG forums and they said it was fixed with bios update 3.0. So I would check to make sure you're running the latest bios.

I updated the BIOS as fast as i could after i bought the laptop so i don't think it has any effect on my laptop. :(

Yes, 90c+ would be dangerous to components. But here is the thing. Just because a CPU is running at 90c, it doesn't mean the entire board is. Heatpipe quickly pulls the heat away from it and rest of motherboard in its immediate vicinity will be around 60c from my own experience.

Please do not compare a desktop temp to a laptop. Just compare the size and headroom a desktop has. Just comparing the sizes of heatsinks found in desktop and laptop would give you an idea.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
@SlySkill

I was curious, is this your first "performance" grade laptop?

SlySkill

Yes, 90c+ would be dangerous to components. But here is the thing. Just because a CPU is running at 90c, it doesn't mean the entire board is. Heatpipe quickly pulls the heat away from it and rest of motherboard in its immediate vicinity will be around 60c from my own experience.

Please do not compare a desktop temp to a laptop. Just compare the size and headroom a desktop has. Just comparing the sizes of heatsinks found in desktop and laptop would give you an idea.
This makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Well, even in this situation, isn't this temp shortening the life of the CPU?
6700HQ is designed to support even 100c but still.

@SlySkill

I was curious, is this your first "performance" grade laptop?
Well, it is. I knew it would be maybe a little bit hotter when compared to 6700K but not with such a big difference.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Well, it is.

theres nothing wrong with that, Ive personally never owned a "perf" laptop, so your that much more experienced than i am. However, Just like a new parent, a new owner can be made to feel nervous over very small issues, sort like the new parent who gets worried over every little cough theyre new child makes in the night. a few of the members who have offered theyre advice, are( for lack of a better analogy), akin to a pediatrician(have a great deal of experience on this subject, since they deal with it on a day to day basis for a living sometimes), and have a great deal of experience with these types of laptops. Id recommend that what @cdawall offers for advice, you take as fact, and you can always buy a laptop cooler if your so inclined.@ the end of the day, its meant to bring you joy, not worry, so enjoy it, and have fun

enjoy the Laptop. :toast:

There is something to note: a CPU running at 90c and a CPU running at 60c will perform the same.

There is this brief that having components run cooler will prolong its lifespan, which is true, but you will replace them looooong before reduction of lifespan caused by extra heat takes any notice. Overclocking tend to case far more damage and you don't generally see people complaining about their CPU dying due to overclocking.

Additionally, as long as temp is within spec, it is meant to withstand such temperature.

Nothing will melt unless the laptop is badly designed which ROG is generally not.

SlySkill

theres nothing wrong with that, Ive personally never owned a "perf" laptop, so your that much more experienced than i am. However, Just like a new parent, a new owner can be made to feel nervous over very small issues, sort like the new parent who gets worried over every little cough theyre new child makes in the night. a few of the members who have offered theyre advice, are( for lack of a better analogy), akin to a pediatrician(have a great deal of experience on this subject, since they deal with it on a day to day basis for a living sometimes), and have a great deal of experience with these types of laptops. Id recommend that what @cdawall offers for advice, you take as fact, and you can always buy a laptop cooler if your so inclined.@ the end of the day, its meant to bring you joy, not worry, so enjoy it, and have fun

enjoy the Laptop. :toast:
:toast: thanks!
There is something to note: a CPU running at 90c and a CPU running at 60c will perform the same.

There is this brief that having components run cooler will prolong its lifespan, which is true, but you will replace them looooong before reduction of lifespan caused by extra heat takes any notice. Overclocking tend to case far more damage and you don't generally see people complaining about their CPU dying due to overclocking.

Additionally, as long as temp is within spec, it is meant to withstand such temperature.

Nothing will melt unless the laptop is badly designed which ROG is generally not.
Brilliant answer! Well, in this case, i will just keep the laptop as it is and try not to worry about temps anymore.

Thank you for your amazing answers, guys!:rockout::rockout::rockout:

Constantine

Sorry to reopen an old thread. I wondered what TIM is? I can’t find any definition online?

Also I have a similar issue with overheating.
I have an Asus Rog G752VS with i7-6700HQ and a GTX 1070. On idle it sits between 40-50c (this seems alright to me??). However with say a game like MW the GPU hits 90c and the CPU 90-95+c.
The GPU never seems to reach 90 quickly but never go above it? I am not sure what that’s about.
I have not cleaned the laptop or replaced any thermal paste yet and have had it for 3 years so am about to do that. However is there anything else I can try? The fans seem to be maxing out also. The cpu fan goes from 1700rpm at idle to 4000rpm When at top temperatures. Is this all something to be worried about??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I think I need to replace the battery as it drains in under 2 hours. I have cleared most background processes and think it is just the age of the battery. However apparently the batteries aren’t easy to replace and require a full strip of the machine :/

TIM = Thermal Interface Material ... the goop between the Heat Sink / Cooler and the CPU

I'd avoid AS5 ... See curing (takes 7 weeks) and capacitance issues noted on their web site. Shin Etsu G751 matched AS5 and can be had for $4.00 Gelid Extreme is also very good and remains malleabe abit longer ... Thermal Grizzly products are the top notch option but are a bit more expensive

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Here's an old post I keep handy for laptop threads

1. If you use a notebook cooler, make sure it's not USB powered from your laptop). I have seen the power draw blow the USB header.

2. Be wary of brand models which provide CPU / GPU options ... Often the higher performance option will over tax the cooling system. Recognize that the goals of thin and cool are fighting each othere ... hi performance and cool are fighting each other.

3, Getting custom built lappies avoids this issue. When you do custom lappies, yu can select your TIM for GPU and CPU.

4. What is ambient temp ?

5. Be careful of what laptop is sitting on. Having a few papers under your laptop for example can severely impact airflow. Elevating the rear of the laptop is very effective.

6. Elevating the rear of the laptop is very effective. With CAD being the tool for architects and Engineers, I see a lot of triangular scales used for this purpose,

7. Most laptops have a (unpublicized) key combo which switches fans tom 100% speed. Very useful when in hot ambient conditions

8. Im taking an online seminar at the moment with video conferencing (on break) .... charger plugged in

Temps w/ rpm @ 100% and rear elevated = 42C
Temps w/ rpm per fan curve and rear elevated = 52C
Temps w/ rpm per fan curve and flat on desk = 60C

9. Recognize that almost every brand you ever heard of doesn't actually "make" a laptop. You will oft see folks arguing over which brand is "better" and it turns out they are made from the same parts, on the same lines by the same techs.

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Dell, NEC, and Fujitsu
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Lenovo and HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to HP, Dell and Lenovo;
Pegatron sells to Asus, Apple, Dell, Acer and Microsoft
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

10. Take of he bottom panels and blow out all fans, heat sinks and nooks / crannies about every 3 - 6 months. Hold your finger on fans to prevent them from moving when directing air strem thru fans.

11. Avoid synthetic stress utilities ... they serve no purpose on laptops or desktops. Often 24 hour stable P95 OCs will fail in a few minutes on RoG Real Bench

12. Call manufacturer test report ... a laptop marketed as suitable for your usage should not be approaching 90C ... My custom built never breaks 78 and Im sure a custom built base model would be cheaper than what you'd ay fpor a gamomg or performance laptop..

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
those temps wouldnt worry me at all buddy there well within range, now if it was hitting near the 100c or over id think diff but laptops run warm nowa days. but as others have said get one of those coolers that you sit it on if needed.

Constantine

Thanks both for those replies!
Yep I'll invest in a cooler that doesn't run off the pc, and will clean out the machine. Thanks for the tips on thermal pastes!
Call manufacturer test report ... a laptop marketed as suitable for your usage should not be approaching 90C ... My custom built never breaks 78 and Im sure a custom built base model would be cheaper than what you'd ay fpor a gamomg or performance laptop
Very interesting, I'll bear that in mind for the future. Also, I haven't come across someone mention a manufacturers test report yet. Is this something I can do myself/ if not the warranty has expired and i would not know where to start to get one of these done..

Elevating the rear of the laptop is very effective.
It's always on a flat surface with nothing near the back or sides to block airflow. I have raised the back the last week and it's dropped the temps, but only by 2-4 degrees unfortunately.

now if it was hitting near the 100c or over id think diff
Well the CPU is reaching 95ish but the GPU only 90c max. According to manufacturers specs the CPU failing point is 100c and the GPU is 95c. So they are both now reaching only 5c below the failing limit.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
i agree with changing the paste would be a good move "but check that it dont void your warranty " its the first thing i do with lappys followed with setting up throttlestop which knocked 10c off my MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .