• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to NOT build a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I've just watched a few review videos from The Verge and frankly I found them to be very pompous and a little patronising.
A good review should draw you in and make you feel like the presenter is talking ONLY to you, but I didn't get that with theirs.
Having said that, I think this dog has been kicked quite enough and I hope picks himself up and moves on.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And that is really the only correct course of action they could have taken after the fact.

However, that doesn't instantly erase the other issues that this error brought to light.
You are 100% right on both counts and I am pretty sure no one is denying that.

All I am saying is days later, there still is continuing persecution by some in this forum and elsewhere long after they admitted their mistakes and took the appropriate actions for them. So why continue the attacks? Why expand the attacks to other people and other areas within The Verge? What purpose is that serving? It seems it just to jump on the bandwagon, fueling a mob mentality to attack - kicking them again and again, after they admitted their mistakes and when they are already down.
I've just watched a few review videos from The Verge and frankly I found them to be very pompous and a little patronising.
A good review should draw you in and make you feel like the presenter is talking ONLY to you, but I didn't get that with theirs.
Having said that, I think this dog has been kicked quite enough and I hope picks himself up and moves on.
Not to pick on you, Splinterdog, but this illustrates my point. I don't see that other The Verge reviews have anything to do with this tutorial video. But more importantly, "Pompous and patronizing" have nothing to do with technical "errors and inaccuracies". Then you say that dog has been kicked quite enough right after you rejoin the fray to get one more kick in! :rolleyes:

BTW, I can tell you after giving 100s of technical demonstrations, writing tutorials and teaching lessons over the last 4+ decades that it is extremely difficult, at best, to give the impression you are speaking to each individual separately when the skill-sets of your audience varies from one extreme to the other. In fact, when there are total newbies with no experience at all to fellow experts with perhaps more experience than you, you cannot do it! Not with technical topics.

Maintaining a balance between going over the heads of the novices and sounding condescending to the experts is next to impossible to impossible. Some in the audience will not get it. Others will feel patronized and/or bored. The only way around that is to have separate training sessions, one for the novices, and an advanced course for the experts. But time and money do not always allow for that.

Furthermore, when they recognized the mistake they chose not to remove the video at first but instead disabled comments so people pointing out the errors in the video can't be heard.
I am not sure we know the exact chronological order of events. Nor do we know the mechanics of the site. That is, there may be a lot more involved in actually pulling a video than locking comments. And it may have just been prudent to quickly lock the comments after totally uncalled for "hate" comments started coming in. If someone points out an error you made, and you agree you erred, do you need 100s of other people, many with hateful speech, telling you how wrong you were?

I am saying we cannot speculate, one way or the other, without knowing all the facts.

Did you see the other post, linking his twitch comments? And the Verge is at least tacitly defending that guy with those tweets
The important distinction here is they are defending the guy from the hate-filled attacks. They are NOT defending his errors. Yet people, including some here, are even attacking The Verge for that.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
All game and computer magazines are a joke... and barely a step above product brochures. I have nothing against the Verge in particular.

Any orientation of the radiator besides inlet and outlet at the top please. We are trying to discourage the recirculation of air in the system. Thanks!

Using fluid inlets at the bottom of the rad and bleed outlets at the top makes things easier but in actuality the radiator inlets / outlets can be anywhere provided that:

a) There are no Upside down U's in the piping
b) The the bleed / fill ports are at a high point.

For example, you can install a radiator vertically with inlet / outlet at the bottom, as long as there is a bleed port on the top (high) side. Even easier, mount a G-1/4 valve here and just bleed out the air

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Was this the only guy there at The Verge that even had a remote idea about how to build a PC? Perhaps they should stick to videos that are more within their wheelhouse; the review of iPhones, Androids, and the occasional IoT device and leave the PC building for the grown-ups. I personally think that they should.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Of course, like all blanket statements, that is not true at all.

It's true enough that I'll waste too much time looking for what little good there is. I'm not going to place value on a thing because of some small exception. It's just easier to move somewhere else where the chances of finding value are better. If I wanted in depth tech articles, tons of average users or the developers themselves will tell their impression or vlog about things these days.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Not to pick on you, Splinterdog, but this illustrates my point. I don't see that other The Verge reviews have anything to do with this tutorial video. But more importantly, "Pompous and patronizing" have nothing to do with technical "errors and inaccuracies". Then you say that dog has been kicked quite enough right after you rejoin the fray to get one more kick in! :rolleyes:
Blimey!
I was stating an opinion on The Verge reviews in general, so back off will you. Furthermore, I've stated already that the young presenter has been kicked enough.
Read the entire thread please.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I was stating an opinion on The Verge reviews in general
Read the entire thread please.
I did. And it has absolutely nothing to do with "reviews" of any kind, let alone The Verge reviews - which is my point. People are taking advantage of this poorly executed "tutorial" to criticize anything that might be remotely associated with the presenter - even days later - whether it had anything to do with the actual "tutorial" or not. This presenter was not reviewing anything. And The Verge is much more than a review site, or a site that creates tutorials. Sadly, I guess some expect others to always be 100% perfect at everything they do. If not, no mercy. :( I wish I was perfect. No, I take that back.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You are 100% right on both counts and I am pretty sure no one is denying that.

All I am saying is days later, there still is continuing persecution by some in this forum and elsewhere long after they admitted their mistakes and took the appropriate actions for them. So why continue the attacks? Why expand the attacks to other people and other areas within The Verge? What purpose is that serving? It seems it just to jump on the bandwagon, fueling a mob mentality to attack - kicking them again and again, after they admitted their mistakes and when they are already down.

Oh, I agree, it's been done so we can move on now. But the Verge has pretty much destroyed its credibility.

I am not sure we know the exact chronological order of events. Nor do we know the mechanics of the site. That is, there may be a lot more involved in actually pulling a video than locking comments. And it may have just been prudent to quickly lock the comments after totally uncalled for "hate" comments started coming in. If someone points out an error you made, and you agree you erred, do you need 100s of other people, many with hateful speech, telling you how wrong you were?

I am saying we cannot speculate, one way or the other, without knowing all the facts.

We know the mechanics of Youtube, and whoever had the power to disable comments also had the power to pull the video. They chose not to.

There may have been hateful things in the comments, but isn't that always how it is in Youtube. All disabling the comments did was make it so that people coming to watch the video were unable to see the warning about the dangerous things shown in the video. It is proof that the Verge does not care if people ruin their hardware, they only care about views. The whole thing is a lot of proof that The Verge is scum and not a credible source of information that people should be watching. Not only did they put up a very poor video that could have lead to people destroying their expensive hardware, but when it was pointed out to them, their original course of action was completely wrong in leaving the video up but disabling the only way for people to warn potential viewers. It was only when it went viral that they decided to do the right thing.

The Verge, and the presenter, deserve some flack(obviously racism is never deserved). They don't get a pass from all the wrong they did just because they finally decided to do the right thing when their wrongs were caught and brought to light.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I did. And it has absolutely nothing to do with "reviews" of any kind, let alone The Verge reviews - which is my point. People are taking advantage of this poorly executed "tutorial" to criticize anything that might be remotely associated with the presenter - even days later - whether it had anything to do with the actual "tutorial" or not. This presenter was not reviewing anything. And The Verge is much more than a review site, or a site that creates tutorials. Sadly, I guess some expect others to always be 100% perfect at everything they do. If not, no mercy. :( I wish I was perfect. No, I take that back.

I care about the kid's wellbeing, and I know you do too.. but why do you care about the Verge so much?

If not outright product brochures, these mags and big websites are going down the drain with politics too. Take for example a recently written Wired article painting Facebook's "Rosetta" AI in a positive light... A technology to "screen memes" (lol!) for racism (at least that's the excuse). This is lunacy. It's especially sad to see the tech world selling itself out so throroughly just for the "politics of the moment". This is how all bad things start. IT's EASY to get people to support bad things by first finding an easy target. Then the real fun comes later. It's even more pathetic because you don't even have to rewind back hundreds of years to witch hunts or anything. You can see it in the "War on terror", in a clear and present example.

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-rosetta-ai-memes/

And the verge is no better. I don't even have to go past the front page to see them defending Google against a recently released documentary ("The Creepy Line"). It admits that Google is in fact creepy (the phrase "creepy line" famously comes from Eric Schmidt himself), but doesn't admit to political bias on Google's part, and writes off any criticism of their bias as "conspiracy" (the favorite word now to dehumanize people and turn them into ghouls). A recently leaked vid of one of Google's TGIF meetings proved them wrong. This article is a good example of not trying to discuss anything.. It's just more narrative framing.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I am jealous though, I do a small youtube series on homelab stuff and I have no idea how to make cool video transitions, atleast his actual editing skills are decent. I just splice the fuck up in corel.

I used to use the Windows movie maker, it had several different wipes to choose from. Sony Vegas is pretty decent, but there's a learning curve as you get accustomed to the UI & how to use it

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but why do you care about the Verge so much?
I don't. But that does not mean I think it is fine to relentlessly bash an organization for everything under the sun when they have already admitted they erred and have done something about it. Why keep kicking them, over and over, when they have already been called out for their mistake, and they have already admitted it?

Gee whiz? What if you actually made a mistake? Would you want 100s and 100s of people to relentless bash you, over and over again for it after you already admitted you erred?
and whoever had the power to disable comments also had the power to pull the video.
And how do you know that? And so what? Why keep harping on it? No doubt no one on that side expected the back lash they would receive since it is likely they were not aware of the mistakes.

God forbid any of you actually make a mistake some day. :rolleyes:

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I don't. But that does not mean I think it is fine to relentlessly bash an organization for everything under the sun when they have already admitted they erred and have done something about it. Why keep kicking them, over and over, when they have already been called out for their mistake, and they have already admitted it?

Gee whiz? What if you actually made a mistake? Would you want 100s and 100s of people to relentless bash you, over and over again for it after you already admitted you erred?
And how do you know that? And so what? Why keep harping on it? No doubt no one on that side expected the back lash they would receive since it is likely they were not aware of the mistakes.

Those are good questions actually. Not sure why this particular situation is happening. I'll put on my Freudian hat for a second and say that maybe it's some kind of subconscious lashing out at a big corporate vid encroaching on the territory of "community" oriented channels. Youtube loves it's grassroots/homegrown experts, and would love to see an outsider fail (and I don't just mean tech.. it seems that even weird "makeup" artists hold a lot of sway and power now, compared to the likes of Vogue/Cosmopolitan type of reviewers).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

When they screw up this bad, prove they don't actually care and only want views, and only own up to it when their screw up goes viral and really starts making them look bad, they deserve all the backlash they get.

You are acting like they are doing the right thing because they wanted too. They aren't, they are doing the right thing because they got caught. It is your classic scenario where they aren't sorry they did it, they are sorry they got called out for it.

And how do you know that?

Because that is how Youtube works. If you have the username and password to the account, which is required to disable comments, then you also have the ability to take down the video.

And so what? Why keep harping on it? No doubt no one on that side expected the back lash they would receive since it is likely they were not aware of the mistakes.

You hit the nail on the head. No one expected the backlash, so they decided to leave the video up and disable any way for others to warn viewers of the dangers. It's only when the backlash hit that they were forced to do the right thing.

If I make a mistake, I own up to it and I fix it immediately...but then again I'm not a whore for views.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You are acting like they are doing the right thing because they wanted too.
I don't believe that at all! Well, not for "part two".

In "Part Two", The Verge defended the presenter against the hate-filled racial motivated attacks. The Verge felt that was wrong and "wanted" to defend the presenter - and that was the right thing to do. I think we all here (I hope) are in agreement there.

"Part One" was the big mess up and "Part One" comes in two sub-parts, "A" and "B". For "Part One-A", the presenter was at fault for not doing his homework about the TIM and other assembly errors and for not practicing (rehearsing) applying TIM. And I think most people here would agree, getting a proper application of TIM is a skill that often does take a few times (practice) to get just right.

So now we come to Part One-B. Here is where, at least in my opinion, the biggest mistakes were made and this is where The Verge is totally culpable.
  • There was no technical editor and/or expert technical advisor on set to ensure the technical advice presented was technically correct.
  • A re-shoot was not allowed.
  • The comments section was shutdown preventing additional viewers to add their comments.
  • The video was not immediately taken down once all the technical errors were pointed out.
Are we all in agreement so far?

In my very first post in this thread, I criticized the reviewer for saying "a little extra thermal paste was always good". Of course, extra TIM, even "a little" is never "good". I am going to assume (and I hate to assume), someone else on "The Verge" staff wrote the script. Regardless, clearly there was no tech expert review. That's on "The Verge". Just as it is on "The Verge" for having those silly ESD straps in the video.

In my second post I made it clear, the producers (thus "The Verge") are culpable too. And in all my subsequent posts, I have acknowledged "The Verge" messed up.

@newtekie1 - if you don't read the above, please at least read this:

"The Verge" clearly blew it when they allowed that video to be posted without any sort of technical review for technical errors or accuracy. No question whatsoever about that! They blew it, they got caught and were called out for it - as they deserved! And because they were complacent in double-checking for technical errors and accuracy, they were caught off guard when the backlash started and they fumbled their response because they were unprepared for such a response. Again, that is on The Verge!

You are right! And I agree with you! They should have immediately taken down the video.

But they eventually did take it down admitting there were technical errors that did not meet their standards. That was the right thing to do - even if their timing was off. It was better late than never.

So what's my problem?

I'll tell you.

That all was days ago! "The Verge" got caught and got knocked down. They fumbled their response (due to incompetence at several levels) for which they were called out for too. And that's all fine, IMO! But again, they admitted the video was wrong and they did take the video down. They ended up doing the right thing - again days ago!

But did it end the criticisms? NO! And that's part of my problem.

People on this site piled on and piled on, kicking and kicking the dead horse over and over again. Why? It was already dead! But worse, and where I started objecting is when some here started kicking other horses, apparently just because they were in the same stables. :kookoo: Others were criticized because they supposedly were from "the same team". Then The Verge "reviews" were criticized! Why? Because of technical inaccuracies? NO! But because they didn't like the sound of the writings. :(

Everyone has the Right, and sometimes the responsibility to criticize inaccuracies and injustices. I didn't spend 24+ years in the military defending those Rights just to trample on and stifle them. So I will defend, with vigor, everyone's Right to express them, when they are due and justly deserved. But when that Right is abused, and the criticisms are no longer due or justified, I will defend the accused with that same vigor.

So I ask again that we, as members of TPU, (1) stick to the topic and (2) accept that "The Verge" admitted their mistakes and (3) took (late but eventually) the appropriate actions. There is no need to keep kicking the dead horse, or other horses that had nothing to do with this incident. AND I ask that we wait and see if "The Verge" learned from their mistakes and heeded the lessons from those mistakes.

If future tutorials are full of similar obvious errors, then The Verge would deserve even greater wrath - for those errors. And I will be right there with you criticizing them.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Maybe it's time for this thread to get locked.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Maybe it's time for this thread to get locked.

Agreed since I've seen enough argument that does not even relate to the topic:shadedshu:

Status
Not open for further replies.