• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to quickly & easily fix coil-whine(coil choke noise)

Nokami

I want to get rid or at least dampen my coil whine on a Z690-A MB and my 7900 XT.

Are green, blue, and violet ones the only I need to seal with super glue for the MB?

All red ones are correct for the GPU?

The Glue I want to use is Click Here for Store Link is this alright?

Last edited:

Jonbee.603

You got the most probable offenders, it really depends where the noise is coming from, maybe you should put a cone up to your gpu while its making the noise to see which side is the problem.

Or you could glue all of the things i circled. You missed one on the right side row of red. The orange ones are more likely to make noise and the yellow are less likely. The smaller ones probably dont make the biggest noise, but they still could make some from what ive understood from this thread. I ended up just gluing all the possible things I could and my temps maybe rose 3-4 degrees, so if heat is not a huge concern for you id go for it. Atleast you wont have to do it twice.

And obviously avoid gluing over stuff that comes in contact with thermal pads; super glue is not a conductor, but it would insulate your chip from the heat transferrance of the thermal pad.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39

Nokami

And obviously avoid gluing over stuff that comes in contact with thermal pads; super glue is not a conductor, but it would insulate your chip from the heat transferrance of the thermal pad.

I would just go around each of them and glue them, not on top of them. That should be alright then, even if they have contact to the thermal pads I think. Will update with the results, got separately a new PSU (RM1000x Shift) to test things.

Last edited:

zoltan

Hi guys!

I only registered to here because of this forum!

This is my full PC config:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GlFxIpayBNK8FPOGMhgZaHsocx2I0AAjlsQVO9qrDzc/edit

I have an Intel Arc A770 16GB LE video card. My CPU is water-cooled, but today I decided to water-cool my GPU as well.

Currently, I have disassembled the GPU, and I can see the raw PCB. This GPU has some coil whine, but I know a few solutions, such as: (this is not always working)
  1. Undervolt the GPU.
  2. Turn on V-Sync.
  3. Limit the FPS to 60.
  4. Limit the power
However, I am seeking a permanent solution. My problem is that I don't know which inductors are causing the most coil whine or what is the most effective ways to dampen the vibration. I have included a picture. My theory is that the red ones are causing the majority of the coil whine, especially the two near the power connector. My plan is as follows:
  1. Apply RTV low viscosity silicone to the inductors (all). Like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.290.21ef1802T9JEa8 (200g Soft transparent)
  2. The inductors are SMD type. Perhaps I can attempt to grind the top of the inductor and then apply the silicone. I have ordered some sample inductors on the internet where I can practice. However, this is VERY risky, and I am hesitant to proceed with this method. Also I can't order the exact same type because I don't have a company and they will don't sell it to me. Currently, I'm trying to find in the internet a broken A770 card so I can get a close look at the inductors.
  3. Add ferrite beads to the PCI-E power cable???
  4. Put the PCB into a vacuum chamber (I created one) so that the silicone can potentially penetrate the inductor. However, I am unsure whether the bottom of the inductor is open or not....
  5. Solder out the inductors and replace it with a quality ones. However, I can't download the datasheet for the current ones, so I don't know which inductors I can replace them with.
  6. Also put thermal pads on top of the inductors so they will be attached to the GPU water-cooling block and reduce the vibrations.
My questions:
  1. Is that silicone is good?
  2. Can I do silicone potting with the full inductor?
  3. Somebody tried to grind the top of the inductors?
  4. Ferrite beads can work?
Before I apply the silicone, I would appreciate your thoughts on my plan :) Is that silicone is good? Can this work?

Best regards,
Zoltán

Intel Arc A770 choke inductor.jpg

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Apply RTV low viscosity silicone to the inductors (all). Like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.290.21ef1802T9JEa8
Doubt it would work. Even gel-type super glue is said to be too thick (viscous) for the application, let alone RTV.
Perhaps I can attempt to grind the top of the inductor and then apply the silicone. I have ordered some sample inductors on the internet where I can practice. However, this is VERY risky, and I am hesitant to proceed with this method.
Could work, maybe not. I suspect the casing of the inductor is used as part of the "core" and grinding on it would change the induction characteristics. It might help, it might hurt, but I personally wouldn't do it.
Add ferrite beads to the PCI-E power cable???
Some here have had a lot of luck with that. I would say it is a good first step, unless your card is already denuded, then try the super glue first as it would be cheaper.

Put the PCB into a vacuum chamber (I created one) so that the silicone can potentially penetrate the inductor. However, I am unsure whether the bottom of the inductor is open or not....
The bottoms are generally open. However, putting it in a full vacuum chamber would only tend to harden most silicone based RTV, as it would evaporate off the acetic acid much quicker. I doubt it would help draw into the inductor as there is no suction up into it, just general low pressures.
Solder out the inductors and replace it with a quality ones. However, I can't download the datasheet for the current ones, so I don't know which inductors I can replace them with.
Could work, but I don't think I would be able to help you find the right ones. From what I see, it tends to be the random combination of PSU and GPU that causes coil whine. New inductors may or may not help with that.
Also put thermal pads on top of the inductors so they will be attached to the GPU water-cooling block and reduce the vibrations.
Would help with the whole inductors vibrating, but if the coil is hitting the core it won't help much. It would of course absorb some vibration.

zoltan

Doubt it would work. Even gel-type super glue is said to be too thick (viscous) for the application, let alone RTV.

Could work, maybe not. I suspect the casing of the inductor is used as part of the "core" and grinding on it would change the induction characteristics. It might help, it might hurt, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Some here have had a lot of luck with that. I would say it is a good first step, unless your card is already denuded, then try the super glue first as it would be cheaper.

The bottoms are generally open. However, putting it in a full vacuum chamber would only tend to harden most silicone based RTV, as it would evaporate off the acetic acid much quicker. I doubt it would help draw into the inductor as there is no suction up into it, just general low pressures.

Could work, but I don't think I would be able to help you find the right ones. From what I see, it tends to be the random combination of PSU and GPU that causes coil whine. New inductors may or may not help with that.

Would help with the whole inductors vibrating, but if the coil is hitting the core it won't help much. It would of course absorb some vibration.
OMG!

This was a very fast reply! Also, thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Only one thing I don't understand: If I use the super glue like what others do, it can go under the inductor (but it will not go into the coils if I understand correctly) so it will only hold the inductor package at the bottom. What happens if I use silicone and "glue" 2 (or more) inductors package into 1? So the in inductor left/right side will hold the other inductor left/right side.

I want to flood them with silicone (this is silicone potting). Will it have the same effect? (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say)

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
My understanding is that the super glue wicks up in the narrow gaps in the coils, as (I believe) the bottoms of the coils are exposed. This means that it will nearly fill with super glue, which is why the low viscosity stuff is required vs something thicker like silicone.

knexfour

Just made an account to share my experience. Bought a used 6800XT Red Devil with an EK block, didn't come with the air cooler which was fine for my purpose. It has the absolute worst coil whine I've ever heard. It whines when moving the mouse, scrolling through web pages, and obviously in games it's atrocious. Tweaking voltages, clocks and power helps a tiny bit, but to get it even remotely tolerable I have to tank its performance so much. I used Original Brand Super Glue, bought these fine tip applicators from Amazon (100 pack for $6, only needed one), and did two glue passes allowing to dry overnight each pass. Didn't help at all, it's still pretty unbearable. Before trying this mod I did try a few of the other usual common suggestions - different power supply, no PCIe pig tails, etc. Oh well, thanks for the interesting thread to scroll through. Was a good excuse to pull the block off and clean it up anyways.

Last edited:

keep3r

Hi

@lexluthermiester Thank you for this great thread!

I have an Asus TUF RTX 2080 Super with coil whine.
The coils in this card look like this:

Anyone had success with those types? They look like closed casings.

Otherwise I might just have to try it.