• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meltdown and Spectre Patched BIOS for X58 Motherboards

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Regarding the recent MDS vulnerabilities, Intel said it will not release microcode for anything older than Sandy Bridge (2nd gen).

For now, the solution is to disable HT. You'll lose performance, but gain lower temperatures, lower vcore, lower latency and more room for overclocking.

Of course, you can nag Intel security team (email is: secure-at-intel.com).

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Regarding the recent MDS vulnerabilities, Intel said it will not release microcode for anything older than Sandy Bridge (2nd gen).

For now, the solution is to disable HT. You'll lose performance, but gain lower temperatures, lower vcore, lower latency and more room for overclocking.

Of course, you can nag Intel security team (email is: secure-at-intel.com).
PPL and their tinfoil hats hey! God bless America!! But seriously :kookoo:

M$ gives me a microcode update and I just nuke it, problem solved.. One thing I need to add.. I own Intel cpu sadly and I'm an AMD fan Boi and I refuse to disable HT.. Why? Because honestly im not afraid nor do I care, I have no reason to concern myself with this over hyped bull shit.. I have a gaming rig and nothing more, it isn't a server hosting Google, Amazon, ect... so why should us petty users be concerned?

But thanks for the list on page one :toast:

Intl8ldr

This latest round of MS security patches is really bringing down the performance. I mean the Spectre Meltdown patching was ok especially with the microcode updates posted here on this forum. Thank you @Regeneration ! But these latest MS patches are BS!
Stuff that worked smoothly before (using Spectre patched BIOS and W10 1809 MS parches) have now all of a sudden become painfully slow even at the GUI level - it's crazy!
The MS s/w patches that have been rolled out cannot be the answer! They have to fix at another level than nuking the whole machine. My understanding is that, for the attacks to be effective, the attacker need local access and the logical entry point is through the browser e.g. inject the attack in javascript or other internet connected s/w. Seams like the browsers and s/w that use network should be the focus for patching. If not patchable they need to fundamentally rearchitect the s/w so networked S/W runs in a complete sandbox walled off from the rest of the OS stuff.
I agree with @fullinfusion, this is BS. The MS patching is killing legit s/w like games just because of a potential attack through the browser. They should fix the browser and networked s/w, not nuke the machine.

Also for those that have the Rampage III Extreme board, I've updated the BIOS that @Regeneration built on page 1 with more recent versions of the Intel RAID, JMicron SATA, Marvel SATA 6G, Intel Ethernet BIOS modules. Here is the content of the BIOS:

r3xrnjm.rom:
0) ROM base: @Regeneration modded 1502 BIOS on page (micro codes for 206C2 (2018-05) and 106A5 updated to mitigate Spectre)
Updates applied:
1) Intel ICH10R RAID ROM - V8086 D2822 - v13.5.0.2164 - with RAID 0 TRIM CTL0 patch - (size: 118K). It's is 1K SMALLER than Original 1502 v10.5.0.1034 (that 1502 comes with)
2) INTEL 82567V-2 Gigabit Network - V8086 D10CE - v1.5.50 - (size: 66KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips. It's 8KB larger that Original 1502 V1.3.10 @ 58KB but it works
3) JMicron JMB36X SATA - V197B D2363 - v1.07.24 - (size: 33KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips Size is the same as Original 1502 v1.07.14
4) Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller module - V1B4B D9123 - v1.0.0.1038 - (size: 33KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips. Size is 1KB larger that Original 1502 v1.0.0.1019.

Tested with:
1) Intel RAID enabled in BIOS (instead of just AHCI)
2) Network enabled
3) HD audio enabled
4) Marvell SATA 6G enabled in AHCI mode
5) Firewire is diabled - do not need it
6) JMicron is disabled - do not need it
Add in card:
7) Marvel based dual RAID card Apicorn Duo with 2 SSDs in slot 3

Able to boot into ICHR10 Raid screen with ctrl-I
Able to boot into Apicorn Duo's Marvel RAID card configurator and set up a RAID 0 card ctrl-m
Able to boot into ASUS BIOS and conifigure as i wish

Migth be worth a try for those that want.

Attachments

Last edited:

Caesar007

This latest round of MS security patches is really bringing down the performance. I mean the Spectre Meltdown patching was ok especially with the microcode updates posted here on this forum. Thank you @Regeneration ! But these latest MS patches are BS!
Stuff that worked smoothly before (using Spectre patched BIOS and W10 1809 MS parches) have now all of a sudden become painfully slow even at the GUI level - it's crazy!
The MS s/w patches that have been rolled out cannot be the answer! They have to fix at another level than nuking the whole machine. My understanding is that, for the attacks to be effective, the attacker need local access and the logical entry point is through the browser e.g. inject the attack in javascript or other internet connected s/w. Seams like the browsers and s/w that use network should be the focus for patching. If not patchable they need to fundamentally rearchitect the s/w so networked S/W runs in a complete sandbox walled off from the rest of the OS stuff.
I agree with @fullinfusion, this is BS. The MS patching is killing legit s/w like games just because of a potential attack through the browser. They should fix the browser and networked s/w, not nuke the machine.

Also for those that have the Rampage III Extreme board, I've updated the BIOS that @Regeneration built on page 1 with more recent versions of the Intel RAID, JMicron SATA, Marvel SATA 6G, Intel Ethernet BIOS modules. Here is the content of the BIOS:

r3xrnjm.rom:
0) ROM base: @Regeneration modded 1502 BIOS on page (micro codes for 206C2 (2018-05) and 106A5 updated to mitigate Spectre)
Updates applied:
1) Intel ICH10R RAID ROM - V8086 D2822 - v13.5.0.2164 - with RAID 0 TRIM CTL0 patch - (size: 118K). It's is 1K SMALLER than Original 1502 v10.5.0.1034 (that 1502 comes with)
2) INTEL 82567V-2 Gigabit Network - V8086 D10CE - v1.5.50 - (size: 66KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips. It's 8KB larger that Original 1502 V1.3.10 @ 58KB but it works
3) JMicron JMB36X SATA - V197B D2363 - v1.07.24 - (size: 33KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips Size is the same as Original 1502 v1.07.14
4) Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller module - V1B4B D9123 - v1.0.0.1038 - (size: 33KB) consensus, on various BIOS modding forums (www.win-raid.com), is that this is the best for this generation of MB/chips. Size is 1KB larger that Original 1502 v1.0.0.1019.

Tested with:
1) Intel RAID enabled in BIOS (instead of just AHCI)
2) Network enabled
3) HD audio enabled
4) Marvell SATA 6G enabled in AHCI mode
5) Firewire is diabled - do not need it
6) JMicron is disabled - do not need it
Add in card:
7) Marvel based dual RAID card Apicorn Duo with 2 SSDs in slot 3

Able to boot into ICHR10 Raid screen with ctrl-I
Able to boot into Apicorn Duo's Marvel RAID card configurator and set up a RAID 0 card ctrl-m
Able to boot into ASUS BIOS and conifigure as i wish

Migth be worth a try for those that want.
Can you do the same for Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer?

Please!

Lev00

This is my first post, I registered just to say thank you @Regeneration , your work on this is much appreciated. I've updated a two GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboards (rev2.0 and rev1.0) and a GA-X58-UD4P.

In regards to the GA-X58-UD4P, I noticed you have tested this board extensively. I've tried a x5650 and x5660. The BIOS detects the CPUs correctly. No matter what BIOS version I try, the motherboard will not reboot or shutdown when using a Xeon.

Except for this reboot/shutdown problems, everything else works great with the Xeon. Windows 10 boots normal and is completely stable. If I switch back to a i7-920 then reboot and shutdown work normally. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Have you experienced this? If you haven't, would you have and idea what the potential cause may be and how to troubleshoot?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
In regards to the GA-X58-UD4P, I noticed you have tested this board extensively. I've tried a x5650 and x5660. The BIOS detects the CPUs correctly. No matter what BIOS version I try, the motherboard will not reboot or shutdown when using a Xeon.
Nope. The only known issue with Gigabyte X58 motherboards and Xeons is with memory multiplier.

icy

Just registered to share a bit more info on the issues I was(/am) having with the GA-X58-UD4P board and a Xeon X5675.

First of all thank you @Regeneration for keeping the X58 alive. Excellent work.

Basically there are 2 main problems with my setup:

1. Overclocking the BCLK in the BIOS to a value above 150 does not work. It doesn't really matter how other settings are set, the moment I raise the BCLK above 150 and hit save-and-exit, the system reboots and immediately shuts down. Then it starts again by itself but all the overclock related settings were reset to some safe defaults and an error message is displayed regarding an instability.

I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to go beyond 150 BLCK by using the EasyTune program. I tried it a few times but it only froze my system (or was it BSOD?).

2. As @Lev00 said- restart doesn't work. If I try to restart the system by using the reset button for example, or selecting restart from a running OS, or even simply hitting alt-ctrl-del while in DOS or in the BIOS menus, the screen will indeed go black and all the LEDs on the motherboard will light up, but the system will not boot. It will remain "frozen" like that until I forcefully power it down. The annoying part is that when I power it up again, the BIOS will detect that the previous boot was unsuccessful, so of course it will reset-to-default all the overclock related settings forcing me to reload them again.

I tried flushing probably most of the known BIOS versions available for this board, but these two issues always remained. I even tried cross-flashing with several BIOS versions for the GA-X58-Extreme board (which is very similar btw). Exact same results.

Using one of those cheap PC Analyzer Diagnostic Cards I noticed that when performing a restart the BIOS was actually stuck in an endless loop going through the same series of boot codes over and over again.

Other than that the system is perfectly stable and it is running 24/7 for quite some time now.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Intel i9 9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 @ DDR4-3400 14-14-14-34-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Storage HGST UltraStar 7K6000 3.5" HDD 2TB 7200 RPM (w/128MBs of Cache)
Display(s) LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32" AMVA Panel G-Sync 144hz Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit to Asgard 2 Amp to AKG K7XX Ruby Red Massdrop Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 750W 80Plus Titanium
Mouse ROCCAT Kone EMP
Keyboard WASD CODE 104-Key w/ Cherry MX Green Keyswitches, Doubleshot Vortex PBT White Transluscent Keycaps
Software Windows 10 x64
PPL and their tinfoil hats hey! God bless America!! But seriously :kookoo:

M$ gives me a microcode update and I just nuke it, problem solved.. One thing I need to add.. I own Intel cpu sadly and I'm an AMD fan Boi and I refuse to disable HT.. Why? Because honestly im not afraid nor do I care, I have no reason to concern myself with this over hyped bull shit.. I have a gaming rig and nothing more, it isn't a server hosting Google, Amazon, ect... so why should us petty users be concerned?

But thanks for the list on page one :toast:
Wrong thread dude. Actual security concerned types at work here...

If not patchable they need to fundamentally rearchitect the s/w so networked S/W runs in a complete sandbox walled off from the rest of the OS stuff.
Javascript and networked code IS typically sandboxed. MDS is a sandbox breaking exploit.

They should fix the browser and networked s/w, not nuke the machine.
I hate to tell you this but the MDS patches aren't your issue. They won't run if unsupported and Sandy Bridge is the earliest supported chip.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Just registered to share a bit more info on the issues I was(/am) having with the GA-X58-UD4P board and a Xeon X5675.

First of all thank you @Regeneration for keeping the X58 alive. Excellent work.

Basically there are 2 main problems with my setup:

1. Overclocking the BCLK in the BIOS to a value above 150 does not work. It doesn't really matter how other settings are set, the moment I raise the BCLK above 150 and hit save-and-exit, the system reboots and immediately shuts down. Then it starts again by itself but all the overclock related settings were reset to some safe defaults and an error message is displayed regarding an instability.

I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to go beyond 150 BLCK by using the EasyTune program. I tried it a few times but it only froze my system (or was it BSOD?).

2. As @Lev00 said- restart doesn't work. If I try to restart the system by using the reset button for example, or selecting restart from a running OS, or even simply hitting alt-ctrl-del while in DOS or in the BIOS menus, the screen will indeed go black and all the LEDs on the motherboard will light up, but the system will not boot. It will remain "frozen" like that until I forcefully power it down. The annoying part is that when I power it up again, the BIOS will detect that the previous boot was unsuccessful, so of course it will reset-to-default all the overclock related settings forcing me to reload them again.

I tried flushing probably most of the known BIOS versions available for this board, but these two issues always remained. I even tried cross-flashing with several BIOS versions for the GA-X58-Extreme board (which is very similar btw). Exact same results.

Using one of those cheap PC Analyzer Diagnostic Cards I noticed that when performing a restart the BIOS was actually stuck in an endless loop going through the same series of boot codes over and over again.

Other than that the system is perfectly stable and it is running 24/7 for quite some time now.
Maximum BCLK on X58 motherboards is a matter of luck.

You can try to boost IOH core voltage, QPI PLL to 1.2v, and raise PCIe clock by 1-3 MHz. Try to play with the memory multiplier, and reduce QPI strap to x2.2.

If nothing works, you can always find a cheap Xeon W3680 with unlocked multiplier on eBay.

icy

Maximum BCLK on X58 motherboards is a matter of luck.

You can try to boost IOH core voltage, QPI PLL to 1.2v, and raise PCIe clock by 1-3 MHz. Try to play with the memory multiplier, and reduce QPI strap to x2.2.

If nothing works, you can always find a cheap Xeon W3680 with unlocked multiplier on eBay.
Regarding the 150 BCLK barrier, I tend to believe that this is a bug in the BIOS. Back when I just purchased the X5675 I did numerous tests, but unfortunately no matter what the other overclock related settings were set to it always failed to post the moment i raised the BCLK above that 150 magic wall.

Also the restarting problem seems like a bug in the BIOS that gets stuck in an endless loop.

I remember reading about others having the exact same problems with a GA-EX58-UD4P and a X56xx Xeon.

In general as far as I understand it Gigabyte EX58 boards like GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-EXTREME, GA-EX58-DS4, GA-EX58-UD3R were not very good with regards to compatibility with the X56xx Xeons. The X58A series of boards were much better.

Lev00

Nope. The only known issue with Gigabyte X58 motherboards and Xeons is with memory multiplier.
Thank you sir.

In general as far as I understand it Gigabyte EX58 boards like GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-EXTREME, GA-EX58-DS4, GA-EX58-UD3R were not very good with regards to compatibility with the X56xx Xeons. The X58A series of boards were much better.
Thank you for the details.

Just to follow up on the answer I confirmed to my own question, I tested my x5650 and x5660 that I had and both worked great in GA-X58A-UD3R and P6X58-E WS motherboards. My troubles were isolated to the GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard only.