• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microstuttering masterclass

How much does microstuttering bother you?

• Total voters
System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
It's an interesting subject indeed. I do feel though that some people complain of this stutter when they haven't researched the particular game in question. For example, I have to fix the following games with little console tweaks or configs to get them running stutter free and uber smooth. (This may not be the case with other people's setups.)

All Valve games -

I set an fps max of 61 and it gets rid of any stutter/hitching that I get with default settings.

Far Cry 2 in DX10 -

Frame skipping unless a max fps is selected in the games config file....DX9 is fine regardless.

Doom 3 - I forget the command but it's to do with altering the games tic rate.

That's just 3 games off the top of my head and there are many more which take little tweaks to get them running as you would expect. I do feel that alot of people are quick to judge the cards rather than their other hardware or the game engine in relation to their hardware.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have a single GPU setup, and I have micro-stuttering. Where is my option?

Single card solutions are NOT prone to microstutter. It is another problem all on it's own that affects single card solutions.

I guess many people don't understand that the term Microstutter was coined for an issue first noticed, really, thanks to 3870x2 GPUs, which didn't really have enough bandwidth to communicate with each other, and drive high resolutions.

This lack of bandwidth lead to a delay in the time it took already rendered frame to end up in the main GPU frame buffer, and led to "hitchy" frame display, although the actual number of rendered frames was more than enough to push a nice healthy 60FPS or more.

I've had a video on my YouTube channel of this stutter happening with the 3870x2's for years now, and over the time that has passed, I've seen mroe users report Microstutter, but very few are actually experiencing it...most are "victims" of other problems, like system bottlenecks caused by mismatched GPU and CPU power.

Microstutter is a real phenomena, and can affect many systems, but there are "protections" built into the OS to deal with it, and AMD's own "Application Profiles" software is yet another way that hardware makers have the opportunity to deal with it.

The Radeon HD 3870 X2’s bridge chip was limited to PCI-Express 1.1, meaning data transfer rates between each GPU—and the PCI-Express x16 interconnect—was limited to just 2.5GB/sec via the bridge chip and a further 0.9GB/sec via the CrossFire interface. This means that the maximum interconnect bandwidth on the Radeon HD 3870 X2 is 6.8GB/sec.

On occasion, AMD believes this lack of bandwidth contributed to some of the performance problems and so the company hopes to resolve this with some additional logic inside the GPU.
- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2008/08/13/amd-ati-radeon-hd-4870-x2/2

SidePort was introduced to the 4870x2 to fix the problem, if needed, of insufficient bandwidth. The 4870x2's bridge chips also offered dual broadcast functionality, to lessen CPU-to-GPU communication. These were two specific hardware design steps, taken to avoid Microstutter.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's an interesting subject indeed. I do feel though that some people complain of this stutter when they haven't researched the particular game in question. For example, I have to fix the following games with little console tweaks or configs to get them running stutter free and uber smooth. (This may not be the case with other people's setups.)

All Valve games -

I set an fps max of 61 and it gets rid of any stutter/hitching that I get with default settings.

Far Cry 2 in DX10 -

Frame skipping unless a max fps is selected in the games config file....DX9 is fine regardless.

Doom 3 - I forget the command but it's to do with altering the games tic rate.

That's just 3 games off the top of my head and there are many more which take little tweaks to get them running as you would expect. I do feel that alot of people are quick to judge the cards rather than their other hardware or the game engine in relation to their hardware.

Oh yes, Doom 3, what a crock of ****. I remember how the animation would jump slightly at roughly 0.5 second intervals even with vsync on and no dropped frames. I never was able to get this problem out of it, even with all the googling and forum posts I could throw at it. Drove me nuts. :banghead: Note that this was all before I found the awesome TPU. ;)

In the end, I didn't really like the game anyway (not really into jumpy horrors) and stopped playing it, sidestepping the issue.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
@cadaveca: I'd be interested to see this microstuttering video of yours. Linky please! :toast:

So tell me, have you seen MS when the dual chip card is locked to vsync and the system is rendering without dropping any frames? Because from what I understand, you only see MS when the system is dropping frames, which will be just the same with a single chip card.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I posted this video a bit over 3 years ago now:

[yt]-5SXeR0torc[/yt]

You'll see the stutter near the middle of the video, when I am facing the wall, and rendering load is actually fairly low, and framerate has increased.

And to me, that's the big sign that you've got microstutter...when performance increases, but perceptual performance is lessened.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
please give the exact time you're talking about, i cant see shit just by watching the video.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've had crossfire since x1950xtx crossfire (including a 3870x2, 4870x2 and a 5970) and I have never noticed microstutter at all.

I find the poll is very loaded as the options are either "I have microstutter" or "I have a single GPU" - where's the "I have multiple GPUs and don't get microstutter" option?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I find the poll is very loaded as the options are either "I have microstutter" or "I have a single GPU" - where's the "I have multiple GPUs and don't get microstutter" option?

No, my poll is not loaded. :rolleyes: All my question asks is how much the phenomenon of microstuttering bothers you, nothing more. It's got nothing to with anyone's particular setup.

Note that the 5th option was added by W1zzard, not me and skews the poll. I did make a noise about it, but it then seemed fairer to leave it in after so many people had voted it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No, my poll is not loaded. :rolleyes: All my question asks is how much the phenomenon of microstuttering bothers you, nothing more. It's got nothing to with anyone's particular setup.

Note that the 5th option was added by W1zzard, not me and skews the poll. I did make a noise about it, but it then seemed fairer to leave it in after so many people had voted it.

So does "It doesn't bother me" mean that I have microstuttering and it doesn't bother me or does it mean I don't have microstuttering thus it doesn't bother me? I agree that the poll isn't loaded, it is vague.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro

Yes it is loaded. There are 3 options for "it bothers me", one for "I ignore it" and one for "I like it" (which is a joke option surely). The final option added by w1zz does give people with 1 GPU something to vote (which is good - people like putting their experiences in polls like this), but there's no option there for "it does not exist in my multi-GPU setup".

The poll may have been made to query how much it bothers people, but due to the massive weighting towards "it is a problem" it gives a disproportionate representation of the amount of setups with microstutter (anyone skimming the thread and looking at the poll options would get the impression that there is always microstutter unless using only 1 GPU).

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
So does "It doesn't bother me" mean that I have microstuttering and it doesn't bother me or does it mean I don't have microstuttering thus it doesn't bother me? I agree that the poll isn't loaded, it is vague.

That's it, I'm gonna strangle someone! erocker, give me your home address and telephone number and we'll arrange that showdown! :laugh: j/k

It's sort of the first option, but it's not making a statement about any particular system. I simply ask if you've seen the effect (doesn't matter where) then how much does it bother you.

I noticed that no-one "kinda likes it" lol.

I think the question is clear, but if you think it should be rephrased, I'm open to offers. :toast: In fact, reading through the thread, quite a few people have suggested different poll options, so feel free to rejig it!

If it is rephrased, then I suggest that all the votes be cleared.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yes it is loaded. There are 3 options for "it bothers me", one for "I ignore it" and one for "I like it" (which is a joke option surely). The final option added by w1zz does give people with 1 GPU something to vote (which is good - people like putting their experiences in polls like this), but there's no option there for "it does not exist in my multi-GPU setup".

The poll may have been made to query how much it bothers people, but due to the massive weighting towards "it is a problem" it gives a disproportionate representation of the amount of setups with microstutter (anyone skimming the thread and looking at the poll options would get the impression that there is always microstutter unless using only 1 GPU).

Nope, it's not loaded - with the original five options. You had 2 pro choices, 2 anti choices and one middle choice. Perfectly balanced.

However, check out my reply to erocker above yours. If you're keen to have it changed, make your suggestions and we'll see what our mods come up with. Can't say fairer than that! :toast:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
That's it, I'm gonna strangle someone! erocker, give me your home address and telephone number and we'll arrange that showdown! :laugh: j/k

It's sort of the first option, but it's not making a statement about any particular system. I simply ask if you've seen the effect (doesn't matter where) then how much does it bother you.

I noticed that no-one "kinda likes it" lol.

I think the question is clear, but if you think it should be rephrased, I'm open to offers. :toast: In fact, reading through the thread, quite a few people have suggested different poll options, so feel free to rejig it!

If it is rephrased, then I suggest that all the votes be cleared.

Nah, I get what you're saying. The way you describe it though, I can't see how anyone would actually like stutter. So, the way the poll was posted initially, there's only one logical answer. I also have no interest in making/changing polls.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Nah, I get what you're saying. The way you describe it though, I can't see how anyone would actually like stutter. So, the way the poll was posted initially, there's only one logical answer. I also have no interest in making/changing polls.

You're terribly right about the bold bit. It was a bit of a joke option, in place of the "doesn't bother me very much" option, lol. You know me, I couldn't resist a subtle gag. ;)

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Good link, Mussels.

:rockout:

I'll stil lsay, I think it's impossible to properly measure "Microstutter" without using a device that replaces the monitor. To truly know if differing render times are an issue, we need to know if ther is actually any difference in teh way the data is sent out to the monitor, not just when the frame is actually complete.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516

^ this is very relevant to the topic

I've now read some of that article and I think this is issue is important enough for these kinds of measurements to be included in TPU graphics card reviews. It's all those hitched, stuck frames that can make a real difference to the fluidity and playability of a game. Basically, hitches are annoying as hell and must be minimised as much as possible.

This is what I found a couple of years ago when I compared my HD4870 with a much older (and supposedly lower performing) 8800 GTX I got for cheap. The 4870 was indeed faster in some situations (and surprisingly slower in others) but had noticeably more hitches to it than the 8800. It wasn't long until I eBay'd the 4870 and got myself a GTX 285 and haven't looked back. That card gave me a really smooth experience, as does my GTX 580 now.

Whether AMD have improved hitching performance since then I don't know, but I do know that my nvidia cards work very well, so I'm sticking with nvidia.

Incorporating these tests in TPU reviews will help the knowledgeable enthusiast make a much more informed choice for their next video card purchase.

Here we go, from the article:

We're counting through all five of our 60-second Fraps sessions for each card here. As you may have inferred by reading the plots at the top of the page, the Radeons aren't plagued with a terrible problem, but they do run into a minor hiccup about once in each 60-second session—with the notable exception of the Radeon HD 6970. By contrast, the Nvidia GPUs deliver more consistent results. Not even the older GeForce GTX 260 produces a single hitch.

See what I mean?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I've now read some of that article and I think this is issue is important enough for these kinds of measurements to be included in TPU graphics card reviews. It's all those hitched, stuck frames that can make a real difference to the fluidity and playability of a game. Basically, hitches are annoying as hell and must be minimised as much as possible.

This is what I found a couple of years ago when I compared my HD4870 with a much older (and supposedly lower performing) 8800 GTX I got for cheap. The 4870 was indeed faster in some situations (and surprisingly slower in others) but had noticeably more hitches to it than the 8800. It wasn't long until I eBay'd the 4870 and got myself a GTX 285 and haven't looked back. That card gave me a really smooth experience, as does my GTX 580 now.

Whether AMD have improved hitching performance since then I don't know, but I do know that my nvidia cards work very well, so I'm sticking with nvidia.

Incorporating these tests in TPU reviews will help the knowledgeable enthusiast make a much more informed choice for their next video card purchase.

Here we go, from the article:

See what I mean?

Only problem is, microstuttering doesn't exist on all multi-gpu setups. That said I've experienced it before with I believe my 4870 setup and my GTX 460 SLi setup. 3870's no problem along with 5850's and 6970's. Since it is something that is noticable, it would be nice if it is at least mentioned in a review if microstuttering is present for a certain test.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Only problem is, microstuttering doesn't exist on all multi-gpu setups. That said I've experienced it before with I believe my 4870 setup and my GTX 460 SLi setup. 3870's no problem along with 5850's and 6970's. Since it is something that is noticable, it would be nice if it is at least mentioned in a review if microstuttering is present for a certain test.

Yeah, I'll +1 that. :)

I'm still not convinced that the so-called "microstuttering" seen with a dual GPU setup is any different from ordinary stuttering seen with one GPU.

Tell me, did you see what you believe to be microstuttering with your 4870 xfire setup with vsync locked and no dropped frames? That would indeed be something different. From what I understand, this microstuttering is only happening on vsync unlocked rendering with the system rendering well under the monitor refresh. You're gonna get noticeable judders there, no matter what, which is why I'm not so convinced about the alleged microstuttering effect.

I have to say, that about 5 years ago or more now, I saw stuttery animation on nvidia cards with vsync locked and fraps showing no dropped frames. It was a weird kind of wobbly effect, hard to describe. Very noticeable and very annoying. ATI back then were buttery smooth, so I switched brands.

This funny on nvidia was a driver glitch, because the older Detonator (remember them!) drivers worked smoothly, while the newer ForceWares didn't. It took nvidia well over 2 years to fix this one. :rolleyes:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm still not convinced that the so-called "microstuttering" seen with a dual GPU setup is any different from ordinary stuttering seen with one GPU

It's very simple. MICROSTUTTER is caused by the frames being transferred from one card to another, and is something NOT caused by performance deficiencies. This problem, as i stated earlier in the thread, is what began the entire "Microstutter" conversation.

One a single card, if there is stutter because of a longer time to render a frame, that's a PERFORMANCE DEFICIENCY, and is clearly indicated by a faster version of the same GPU not having the same problem(in the link from Mussels, 6950 had the problem, but 6970 did not = NOT Microstutter).

I think it's important to seperate the problems into CAUSES, and not just an EFFECT, and hence my stance on this. Many things can cause issues like this, and sometimes the problem can be solved, but it's going to be impossible to solve a problem without properly identifying the issue in the first place.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
cad: read the article i linked to. microstutter is NOT limited to dual GPU only. Its more common there, but it certainly happens on single GPU's as well. dropped frames results in microstutter, and dual GPU's get lots more dropped frames - they are definitely related, but its not dual GPU (and up) only.

and FYI, that article missed one thing: while they say that ATI cards seem to suffer it more, they only tested current and last gen cards. 8800GTS 320MB for example, was really infamous for its microstutter.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Did the 640MB cards have the same problem? ;) Can't blame "Microstutter" for poor performance when the poor performance CAUSED the "microstutter". There is a distinct difference.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
It's very simple. MICROSTUTTER is caused by the frames being transferred from one card to another, and is something NOT caused by performance deficiencies. This problem, as i stated earlier in the thread, is what began the entire "Microstutter" conversation.

One a single card, if there is stutter because of a longer time to render a frame, that's a PERFORMANCE DEFICIENCY, and is clearly indicated by a faster version of the same GPU not having the same problem(in the link from Mussels, 6950 had the problem, but 6970 did not = NOT Microstutter).

I think it's important to seperate the problems into CAUSES, and not just an EFFECT, and hence my stance on this. Many things can cause issues like this, and sometimes the problem can be solved, but it's going to be impossible to solve a problem without properly identifying the issue in the first place.

Maybe you're right, it certainly sounds plausible. This is why I'd like to see an authoritative explanation of this phenomenon. Have a look at the question I asked erocker a few posts ago. If he replies Yes to MS with vsync locked and no dropped frames, then it definitely indicates a dual GPU specific problem and therefore not something you'd see with one GPU only.

But then Mussels has just said that single GPU's show this too, so I really don't know what to think. :confused: The thing I'll say though, is that Mussels has a way of being right on anything technical, which adds weight to his argument. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
major slowdowns in FPS is what ticks me off.