1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on Mosfet cooling for mobo MSI K9A2 CF-F v1

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by b_k_cheah, Sep 14, 2008.

1. b_k_cheah New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently just bought a Mobo MSI K9A2 CF-F V1 and my processor is AMD Phenom 9550. I heard a lot of complains about the mosfet and that make me really worry that my mobo will not be long last. With default vCore 1.25v, I feel hot when touch on the mosfet. I tried to source mosfet heatsink but unfortunately, it is very hard to get in Malaysia.

At the end, I bought the CoolerMaster RAM heatsink ARC-U01 and attach 4 pieces of RAM sinks to cover all mosfets. Each ram sink cover for 3 mosfets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After attached, I tried to play game and do some CPU test, I noticed the heatsink very hot. That make me worry again because the RAM sink is quite small with short fins. Not sure whether it will help to cool the mosfet or make it worst.

My question is, Is that a good move to installed the small RAM Sink on Mosfet? Or should I remove it and let the mosfet running without heatsink?

Really appreciate your expert advice. Thank you.

2. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    It is good to install them, they will help cool the mosfets. The reason they are hot is because they are absorbing, distributing, and releasing heat from the mosfets.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    they are hot because they are doing their job. they will be fine. the fets don't need anything more than those ram sinks. that is how i did mine on my wc setup.

4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    mosfets can get insanely hot, though - even with some small passive HS installed

judging from those pics - it look like you might have enough space to install a couple of "stick-on" style southbridge coolers sided by side in place of those other heatsinks - and if you could get a couple of small fans there as well to help keep the air moving, at the very minimum, would probably help a ton

5. b_k_cheah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your advice. I feel better now and I think I wont remove the heat sink and will plan to install fans to blow air directly to the mosfet. I dont plan to buy big CPU heat sink to cool down the surround because too expensive here.

I think I will stick a powerful fan on my casing cover and suck the air and blow directly to my mosfet, CPU, and south bridge area. Does it make sense?

6. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can certainly do that but not 100% necessary if the fan noise bothers you. The MOSFETs are power devices designed to work at much higher temps than logic devices. Most are rated in excess of 150C. If you can put your finger on the metal and hold it there then you are less than 60C on the heatsink and well below 100C on the FET silicon.

I don't bother with anything special on mine and I have a Water Block on my CPU so no extra air blowing on them like you do with your CPU fan.

Your choice. :toast:

7. b_k_cheah New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed a big fan on my casing cover and blow directly to it ... when touch on the heatsink, still can burn my finger. I think at least 60-80 degree celcius ... In fact, I am think to overclock, but I dont think my heat sink can support.

8. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Yep, go for it. Like said before mosfets get crazy hot (120*F+) any cooling you add to them will certainly help. The fan will help even more, especially if you're overclocking.

9. b_k_cheah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I listen to you all... Add the Fan blow air to Mosfet directly. Hope this will help.. Please take a look on the picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no luck to get good MOSFET cooler in Malaysia. This is all I can do. Do you think I can overclock?

MY system degree celcius is 43 and CPU celcius is 41 when idle ... Really strange. CPU temp lower than system.

10. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    take a crummy cpu cooler cut it up and out them on the same way you've done with those

10 Year Member at TPU