1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Driver Watch - stability and performance evaluation

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Vayra86, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone

welcome to the Nvidia Driver Watch!

In this topic we aim to keep each other informed about the performance and stability of Nvidia Driver releases. To help us with staying on topic, I would like every contributor to stick to a format for reporting an issue with any driver release. If and when we have multiple confirmations/evidence of a known issue, it will be included in this TS.

In addition, we will aim to create a list of 'safe' Driver releases for specific cards. If you have information to help the cause, either post here or PM.

Once per week I will be collecting the info posted here and clean up the TS.

Please include all information when you contribute so we can turn this topic into a useful and informative place to be:

Driver release: xxx.xx
    Please include WHQL or BETA, whichever applies

OS + build + 32/64 bit:
    How to find your build number? Click START > type 'winver' in command line // Alternatively (W10), config panel > System > About

GPU + OC clocks if applicable:
    Specify the full GPU name, including vendor, version, or even better, include GPU-Z screenshot. Please include your overclock if you run one, and try to reproduce the issue @ stock clocks! NOTE: If you run modified BIOS, please refrain from posting in this thread, it will only create confusion - if you still want to contribute, reproduce with stock BIOS or PM me.

Describe the issue:
    If you find graphics anomalies such as artifacting, include screenshots! Specify the game + situation the issue occurred in. More info is good, but try to keep it brief and to the point

Here we collect safe, well performing driver versions sorted by GPU architecture. Nvidia tends to 'end of cycle' its driver updates for each card generation - regardless, newer updates may still include fixes and performance tweaks, SLI compatibility bits etc. General rule of thumb is to always stick to the *latest* version available; only when you encounter issues here, should you roll back to drivers on the SAFE list below.

FERMI GTX 5xx

KEPLER GTX 6xx / GTX 7xx

MAXWELL GTX 9xx

PASCAL GTX 10xx

Please provide input on whether or not you like this idea, what you would see changed, or whatever else you would like to see added! Depending on the input I'll consider devoting the time to making this worthy of a sticky!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Kursah says thanks.
  2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Ok, I'll go first with the Safe End of Cycle drivers.

Kepler: 347.88
    -last optimizations done on Kepler platform. Literally tested on W8.1 for 8 months after March, 2015 when the driver released, using GTX 780. Extremely stable, including on new games not "optimized" for at the time.

Vayra86 says thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I like the idea, but not sure its going to help as one may think...

Often times, driver instability is caused by specific system config. So you will have every dick, tom, and jane listing issues which is likely attributed to their unique system. Same with safe... what works on one, may not work on another.

Its going to take a lot of filtering to sift through the bologna to find anything. A lot of time for questionable returns...you also expect that people bave a clue....and, well....lol!

FYFI13 and Vayra86 say thanks.
  4. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that is also why I'm putting some demands on how the information is gathered, and also just made the topic start as is to see if there is enough people interested and/or willing to provide input. If not, I'm not going to be wasting time.

In the end though there will be consensus about which driver versions are preferable but that will require sufficient numbers.

Kursah says thanks.
  5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I dont think it will help as the data is bad to start, but I hope you get what you are after. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Kursah says thanks.
  6. Edwired

Thanks Received:
    gtx 660.jpg hi there my system

windows 10 64bits
    Build 1703
    Galaxy Gtx 660 2gb
    Driver 347.88
    gpu core and memory are stock
    normal 980mhz, boost 1033mhz, memory 3005mhz

issues are new drivers, hdmi and physx causes the display to freeze after a short time and event log shows error 4101 for any games i play are project cars, dirt rally, dead island, resident evil series, enter the matrix.
    i believe the problem is solved with my system on driver 347.88

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Edwired

Thanks Received:
    I think i may have come across a site here stating a fix as i have tried it on my system seems to make my problem disappear which was freezing the display and event viewer error 4101 when playing project cars. Will be doing a weekend of testing to see it if the game dont repeat the problems i was having
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/569661/tdr-registry-settings/
    Try it out and post your findings if it fixed your problem with crashing nvidia driver

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 7:16 PM
  8. Edwired

Thanks Received:
    urther progress been made on my mental pc had to strip it down fully for cleaning and retidying the cables so it can get more air in. Then i spotted nasty white cocaine stuff on the back of asus p5q premiem board jeez had a job to clean it off with 99% iso fluid so scrubbing it from top to bottem spend over 7 hours making sure it clean from that and dust free so decided to rebuild it all back together again then did the nvidia 334.89 driver it started to work with like 5 times the speed with stuttering so ok did the timings in the ddr2 ram department tested project cars abit of improvements with stuttering when driving slow then did the ddu to wipe clean slate as i installed the latest nvidia 385.28. Then my computer started to work like superman on redbull drinking session. I just cant believe my luck last night. So it was my motherboard that was causing the issue. Checked all voltages from power supply to mother board the 12v rail is rock solid as it used to dip to 11.890v on the motherboard on light load like firefox browser. Tip is check the motherboard for white chalk lookalike stuff and clean it until it gone for good and i think it conducting electricity and causing havoc with the ram lane and pcie lane as it was making my computer behave like a depressed pig