• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opened my case to investigate a rattling sound.....

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
How I deal with spiders:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Spiders scare the crap out of me, I kill them instantly. To be fair I woke up with a spider bite on my face one night. HOW am I supposed to get a date with a big lump on my face? Sorry to your daughter, but I am afraid I must kill them all on sight. It is war.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
:) No dangerous ( to Humans) native spiders in the UK :)
only the occasional illegal immigrant or escaped pets

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I haven't had any problems using a shop vac. I used to use those duster cans but I found the shop vac easier and more convenient to use, and I don't have to buy canned air all the time.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I found a spider made a home!

I couldn't snap a picture of it, my 10 year old daughter thought it was awesome and she took it upon herself to remove it in a timely fashion so she could release it outside. Sneaky little arachnids they are. Best way I can describe it is it looked like a small orb weaver type spider, about the size of a pea and was brownish looking.

I decided to open my case, which I hadn't done in about a year, to investigate a rattling sound (like a wire hitting a fan) and to my surprise in the I found a pretty sophisticated web, a spider and a couple of small insects it had captured. I'm not really sure how it or the insects got inside the case since there are no openings and every vent/hole has a filter covering it, but clearly they all found a way in. The picture below (old picture, but current tower) the area circled in red is where the web was positioned - between the fans, in all the open space.

View attachment 103935

I did have a small wire that was getting hit by a fan, so I got that out of the way and the rattling sound is now gone. I also took time to clean everything out.

I still find it odd that my daughter can scream bloody murder if a fly buzzes her or if she sees one in the distance and can't tell if it's a fly or a bee....but spiders, she picks them up in her hands and puts them outside.

i like that color blue....nice looking case man

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
but spiders, she picks them up in her hands and puts them outside.

My wife is the same way. She can't stand to see anything killed that isn't hurting anyone. We will nail a fly though. We kill ticks also.

I haven't had any problems using a shop vac.
That's what I use. Works better than anything else that I've tried.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
If that was the kind of spider it sounds like it should have been stomped, made flat or something because that description is alot like a brown recluse would be.
You don't want to get bit by one of those and she needs to know some spiders can and will do harm if given the chance.
Can't say I've ever seen a brown recluse spider in MN. The one we found liked kind of like this one.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
She can't stand to see anything killed that isn't hurting anyone.
But does she feel that way towards wasp because the last couple years here in Alaska they were out of control until this current year. You were unable to walk the sidewalk without stepping on a wasp. Had them falling out of trees onto the sidewalk. Spiders don't bother me but getting stung by a wasp did.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
But does she feel that way towards wasp because the last couple years here in Alaska they were out of control until this current year. You were unable to walk the sidewalk without stepping on a wasp. Had them falling out of trees onto the sidewalk. Spiders don't bother me but getting stung by a wasp did.

Logic dictates that if she ever does get bit by a spider or wasp she will probably start killing them, her experience so far has not been bitten though, so why would have incentive to kill them?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
What would worry me is what kind she gets bitten by if it happens - First time could be the last and we don't want that.

Good to hear you don't seem to have those up where you are, a brown recluse bite can cause alot of problems and pain.
They like dark places and are extremely aggressive so they woudn't hesitate to bite if they got on you.

However we could arrainge to export some of our wolf spiders to you - They hunt other spiders as prey to them.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Spiders aren't that bad. They eat other nasty bugs. Here in Florida people talk about brown recluses all of the time... ...even though there are no known populations of them here. Everyone thinks they've seen one, though truthfully they'd be the first.... we have some related spiders that look pretty much exactly the same, but they aren't super-dangerous. Neither are brown recluse spiders, really. Likelihood of coming into contact with one, let alone being bitten, let alone having enough venom penetrate deeply enough to cause more than a little pain, a sore, and maybe some mild systemic issues, let alone have those extremely rare complications that people toss stories around of like it's just a thing that happens... ...it's just such a small likelihood that anything will even happen at all. Many of the diagnosed "bites" have turned out not to be brown recluse bites at all. It's overdiagnosis and the myth that goes along with it gives people a misplaced fear of them. The majority of people who are bitten experience no side-effects at all.

Recluse spiders are generally avoidant... ...hence the name. They've probably been around all along and you've never seen one - nor would they want to be seen by you, or be anywhere near you. If you ever see a recluse spider, I dare you to try to catch one. They're fast! There is a trick, though. They can only dash in short spurts before they have to stop... ...a limitation to their respiratory system prevents them from running continuously. Right after they finish a dash, they can't move for a couple of seconds. Send it running a couple of times to see how far it goes before he stops. Put your shoe or whatever where he's gonna stop next, scare him one more time and intercept.

Same with black widows. Nobody gets bitten by these things. And usually it isn't serious. Venom has to make it directly into your bloodstream to have any effect. Something as tiny as a spider usually has a hard time getting through our many layers of skin. They simply don't have the means with which to critically poison you. Don't go picking up every spider you see, but there's also no reason to be terrified of them.

Worst case, you get bitten, you go to the doctor and they either watch you and ultimately send you home feeling okay, or they provide treatment and send you home feeling okay. It's no big deal.

People have an irrational fear of spiders man... ...I'm telling you. Most that you're gonna encounter domestically are completely not a threat to you. You all have been bitten dozens of times and not known. I'll never understand the bizarre mythos surrounding the little guys. Definitely could be a danger to pets, though. That's a legitimate concern.

I'm one to talk though... ...my thing is roaches. Not the little clouds of german ones. I've been immune since I worked at a gas station where the trash bags outside always got full of/covered in them. It's the big ole american ones and florida's own palmetto bug. The moment I spot one, it must die. I will hunt it down and kill it or I will force it out with pesticides. Giant, grotesque scuttling things. The have a lumbering flight pattern so that you never know where they're gonna go. Catch one flying under a ceiling fan and all bets are off as to whether he makes it to the bookshelf behind you or meanders over to your face on the way. Ask me how I know. Those guys are everywhere here, man. I have never been in a house here that's never had a few sneak in from the yard. The best defense is cats. They're crazy good at nabbing em.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
With respect:
I'm sorry but folks do get bitten by them sometimes and I've seen it firsthand so I know to say nobody gets bitten by them isn't accurate.
Just because you don't see them (Brown Recluse) where you are doesn't mean they can't be elsewhere..... Because they are.

Since by your own statement you've never been around a brown recluse like I have, I can tell you they are aggressive in nature, going after anything that moves if it gets too close like it would be for catching prey because that's actually what they do for that purpose.
They have no concept of fear or whatever else, they see movement, they go after it.

As for what I've seen firsthand.....
At the old job a guy I was working with one day up in the mechanical room got it on the hand by a brown recluse and it didn't take long to swell up his hand and in the end he had to go to the ER with it, said it felt like an ant had got him at first but it progressed quickly.
Said he had placed his hand on the machine we was to work on and he got bit as soon as he did. It only took about an hour if that long when he realized it needed real attention so he first went ot the local doc-in-a-box and they sent him straight to the ER from there as soon as they saw it.
He wasn't able to use it for three weeks after that and said it hurt like hell for a couple of days and I believe it, esp since that part of his hand turned a reddish-purple color that was neary twice the size it should have been before it was over with and yes, it was confirmed as a brown recluse bite because of the anti-venom they matched to the sample from the bite itself for treating it.

And I'm so sorry..... A black widow, being it's 15x as poisonous as a rattlesnake and you say that isn't serious enough to worry about.... Ever?
I know the chance of getting bit by a spider isn't that great, esp if you're careful but doesn't matter and alot of the time it isn't that serious BUT all it takes is one time for it to happen in the wrong way for the bad side of things to be.

Aggressive or passive in nature doesn't matter....

I treat them the same as a poisonous snake, with respect for what they are capable of and that's the best way to be about them for your own sake.
That's it for me on this - Done.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, I'm not going to argue with any of that. I can't say it doesn't happen. I know that they can be seriously dangerous, if not at least very painful. There's no arguing with someone's experience. I'm sorry that happened to your coworker. I can't imagine.

I can tell you're at least a little angry with me, so I appreciate you being respectful. I hope you will see that I'm not trying to stir up any bad feelings here. I think it's a legitimate conversation to have. I'd rather speak and at least confirm that I am wrong than stay quiet and go on thinking I'm right.

Spiders have been a subject of fascination for me for a long time now. And in all of my reading I've never heard of brown recluses being aggressive towards people. Again, not saying they can't be. I believe you. If I saw one you can bet I'd be very focused on killing it. What I was getting at is that it's a very, very small risk compared to the amount of cohabitation and interaction.

In the the time when the recluse thing became sort of a cultural phenomenon, the amount of bites were found to be grossly over reported, sometimes in areas where they've never been known to live and haven't really been found since. The spiders actually are not there. 90% less ever found than bites reported in a year. Most spiders identified as recluse spiders are a completely different spider. Most people, upon seeing a big, brown, fast spider, assume "brown recluse." They then go and tell everyone they know about how they saw one of those spiders that make your flesh rot off, like on TV. And then a lot of other conditions were also misdiagnosed/misrepresented as bites when they never were. I'm sure many people added to the mystique by telling people they were bitten when really that big open sore was something else. Legitimate cases of bites are occasionally very bad, with people suffering long-term side effects and even some deaths from complications to the wound, but not nearly as many as people make it out to be. Hard to come by.

It was just one of those things that through human nature was made to be this great scourge when really it was never anything like that. And now we're stuck with that conception. To actually have anything like the common conception happen is like a crazy, crazy unprecedented freak accident.

Black widow venom is very potent, and its action is nasty - I would absolutely suggest if you even suspect you have been bitten that you head to the ER immediately. Take it seriously. Your life is potentially at risk by not doing so.

It's just that the amount of that admittedly potent venom simply is not likely to be enough to drop a human. It's usually VERY painful for a long time, but that's generally about it, even before the antivenom very few people died. We're talking .2%-5%. Pets and children are at a higher risk, though even children tend to live with treatment. A rattlesnake bite, though less potent per gram is much more deadly to anyone. They'll have a much easier time delivering enough to kill than the tiny spider could ever hope to. They're much more aggressive and capable. Unlike poisons, venom has to get to the right places. Most spiders physically are not packing the equipment to deliver a seriously harmful bite to humans. They can only get through the top layer of skin most of the time, which typically doesn't get nearly a lethal level into your bloodstream fast enough. There are exceptions, always. You can always be unlucky. But still... ...the amount of black widow deaths per year can be counted on your hands.

I never meant to say that it can't or doesn't happen. It's more just that I notice people get panicky about spiders when really a little common sense and caution is enough. Of all of the terrible things that could happen to you on any given day, suffering a serious, potentially life-threatening spider bite is among the least likely. Flu variants will kill many many more people this year before even a handful have a necrotic recluse bite, let alone actually die from a widow bite. Several might be a different story...

Don't get me wrong... ...respect and caution is very much warranted. It's the fear and elevation to almost mythological status that I don't get. There's some exaggeration and misconception of facts about them that I'd say are good in terms of awareness but bad in terms of being bitten and freaking out thinking you're going to die or your arm is gonna fall off.

Like I said wouldn't go picking any up, nor would I advise anyone else to! I just think it's kind of silly how people freak out when they see spiders. I absolutely don't see it as anything to worry or get upset about. It's just kinda, well, a spider lol. They're around, no matter where you go. No need for panic and trauma. Catch/move it or kill it and get on with your life :p

Last edited:
System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
No what is better is just not having any dust AND not having any filters. Filters block a lot of airflow and are very overrated at dust prevention, it often seemed like I had the same amount of dust regardless of filter or no filter. But what does cut down on dust is blowing the case out on a regular schedule every 2 to 4 weeks. Once the filter is clogged you might as well not have a fan at all. Filters increase case temperatures and increase noise. They greatly reduce fan efficiency. It takes under a minute to turn on the data vac and blow the whole case out about once a month. Most of the time consumed is unscrewing the thumb screws on the case side panel. There is rarely a visible spec of dust at any given time I open the case, even before I use the duster. And if you run a vacuum in the room after you dust the case out with the ED500, the reintroduced room dust is taken care of. The DataVac ED500 costs about the same as buying filters and buying duster cans but it can be used as much as you want. There is no downside besides the $50 price. If you are blowing so much dust out that you are choking on it and it makes a giant maelstrom of detritus that gets sucked back into the case, then you have some serious dust issues and probably aren't cleaning machine frequently enough (once a month is a good interval). When I dust it out theres usually a very tiny bit of visible dust that comes out but it is rather insignificant. On this cleaning interval, there is not enough time for dust to even build up. I vacuum the floors after. Buying the ED500 was one of the best computer purchases I have ever made.

Filters are a must have, you maybe had bad filters, mines stop nearly everything.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7

Not angry, more like "WTF" :wtf: from what I saw posted.
At least you understood what I was getting at and I'll also say thanks for keeping it civil. :toast:

BTW Black Widow venom is highly neuro-toxic which means it attacks the central nervous system so doesn't take much at all to have an effect. Even a very small bite with it has a person at an actual risk of death because of what it affects and it's also based on the individual like it is with bee stings for example.
Normally you've got about 10-15 minutes for these effects to kick in and they do kick in hard when they do.

I agree, leave it, kill it or whatever.... Just be sure to use common sense and be respectful to them.
If you don't know if it is poisonous or not, assume it is and treat it as such anyway. :)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No what is better is just not having any dust AND not having any filters.
Yes, but that is an impossible scenario unless the computer is located in a positive pressure, controlled environment facility, like a hospital operating room or very high-tech, dust-free fabrication facility used for processor or hard disk platter manufacturing. And in those scenarios, there are very high efficiency HEPA filters filtering the air being pumped into those rooms.

Filters block a lot of airflow and are very overrated at dust prevention,
Bull feathers! If you didn't see any difference between a case with filters and the same case without filters, then you either had a lousy case with lousy filters and poorly designed filter setup, or you live in a very dust-free environment in the first place.

And you are simply wrong to say filters block a lot air flow - to suggest that simply indicates you have little to no experience with "quality" case filters! Quality filters offer very little resistance - when clean. If dirty, that just proves they are doing their jobs!

If you were a home owner, you would know the difference between quality furnace filters and cheap ones. If you don't see the comparison, then again, little to no experience.

OF COURSE, when filters get dirty, they block more of the flow. That's why they have to be regularly cleaned. But that is still better (and much easier to deal with) than having all that dust caked on the heat sensitive devices and clogging up heatsink fins and vents.

If you are blowing so much dust out that you are choking on it and it makes a giant maelstrom of detritus that gets sucked back into the case, then you have some serious dust issues and probably aren't cleaning machine frequently enough (once a month is a good interval).
:roll: That's funny. If you had more experience, then you would have seen many such computers where the users have NEVER opened the case - perhaps for 5, 6 or more years! :twitch: And you would be amazed that the system was still running.

You really live in a tiny world - not a criticism, just an observation. I have a computer business and many client systems I am responsible for. And I have six computers in this house and have for many years. Before cases regularly came with filters, and when I had 2 kids and 2 dogs always running about stirring up dust, dander and pet hair, I had to take the computers outside for blasting 3 to 4 times per year. Once I upgraded all the cases to quality filtered cases from Antec and Corsair and others, that immediately changed to once a year. And that's only because case fans will still draw in dusty air around optical drives, through USB and audio ports, and other cracks and holes in the cases.

Now I have an "empty nest" (the kids have grown and move out) and the dogs are in doggie heaven. And this computer, for example, I put together in February 2016 using a quality filtered case (Fractal Design Define R4). This computer is up and running 6 - 8 hours per day, if not more. I have never had to clean the interior because the filters do such a great job. And right now, while my filters need cleaning, I am sitting at 26°C. So to suggest the filters are blocking a lot of air flow is just hogwash.

Just because you may live in an environment where dust is not a problem, do not assume your scenario applies to everyone. A quality filtered case makes a huge difference in the amount of interior cleaning needed compared to a cheap case with no filters. Period.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I definitely like the filters in my S340 elite. They catch just about everything. After a month I can see some small specks of dust in the case... ...if I take the glass panel off and look very closely. In 7 months of running with these filters I have yet to see any dust on my CPU cooler heatsink. That, to me is great.

And honestly, if they do affect performance it's not enough to matter for me, not as much as having dust build-up would. Running at just above quiet I idle at 32-35. And under load I hardly ever see 60+. Of course because of the filter and choked out front panel cover, I've chosen two Corsair ML140's for intake. Expensive but I'll be damned if they don't pull a ton of air into the case at low RPM's, even with the filter covered in dust. I think with good enough filters and fans with decent static pressure, there should be no issues. It's splitting hairs over something that really makes a bigger difference in cleaning than temps... ...when implemented right anyway. Crappy filters or fans could be a real problem.

After a month with no cleaning, my filters get pretty caked in dust. But because of how well it works, I can actually wait a whole month to clean them. Temperatures don't seem to suffer from it. I could probably wait longer. And cleaning the case isn't even a thing. I don't even need canned air. Just a cheapo chip brush (the kind of paintbrushes for epoxies and adhesives) and a microfiber and it's immaculate. Couldn't be easier.

That to me is pretty awesome. This is a small room so dust accumulates very quickly. In addition to that, I vape a lot when I'm in here. The stuff in the vapor actually condenses on top of dust and goes wherever air is being pushed. I can see it happening on the walls where the ceiling fan is pushing air towards them. If I don't dust the tops of the fan blades, huge globs will eventually form and start flying off of the fans. In the past, this has been a problem for other machines. It would condense in a puddle underneath the case, on heatsinks, between intake fans and case, in exhaust fan housings, on the case window... ...just everywhere. It's nasty, sticky stuff that's hard to clean out of tight spaces if you let it go even a little. Mix this with dust and you've got a nightmare compound that's about as hard to get rid of as that graphited lube for locks.

But with the filters, it all sticks to whatever dust is on the filters. I have yet to see any accumulate anywhere in the case. That makes me very, very happy.

Not angry, more like "WTF" :wtf: from what I saw posted.
At least you understood what I was getting at and I'll also say thanks for keeping it civil. :toast:
Back atcha man! I'll be the first to admit I get carried away sometimes. It's always good when both parties can relax and not take it personally.

BTW Black Widow venom is highly neuro-toxic which means it attacks the central nervous system so doesn't take much at all to have an effect. Even a very small bite with it has a person at an actual risk of death because of what it affects and it's also based on the individual like it is with bee stings for example.
Normally you've got about 10-15 minutes for these effects to kick in and they do kick in hard when they do.
Indeed. I haven't been bitten but I know someone who has and lets just say they had quite a time with it. I see black widows occasionally... ...and then I remember that story and I avoid them. Nasty, diabolical stuff.

I agree, leave it, kill it or whatever.... Just be sure to use common sense and be respectful to them.
If you don't know if it is poisonous or not, assume it is and treat it as such anyway. :)
Exactly. Don't be scared, but don't be brave either hehe.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
No what is better is just not having any dust AND not having any filters. Filters block a lot of airflow and are very overrated at dust prevention, it often seemed like I had the same amount of dust regardless of filter or no filter. But what does cut down on dust is blowing the case out on a regular schedule every 2 to 4 weeks. Once the filter is clogged you might as well not have a fan at all. Filters increase case temperatures and increase noise. They greatly reduce fan efficiency. It takes under a minute to turn on the data vac and blow the whole case out about once a month. Most of the time consumed is unscrewing the thumb screws on the case side panel. There is rarely a visible spec of dust at any given time I open the case, even before I use the duster. And if you run a vacuum in the room after you dust the case out with the ED500, the reintroduced room dust is taken care of. The DataVac ED500 costs about the same as buying filters and buying duster cans but it can be used as much as you want. There is no downside besides the $50 price. If you are blowing so much dust out that you are choking on it and it makes a giant maelstrom of detritus that gets sucked back into the case, then you have some serious dust issues and probably aren't cleaning machine frequently enough (once a month is a good interval). When I dust it out theres usually a very tiny bit of visible dust that comes out but it is rather insignificant. On this cleaning interval, there is not enough time for dust to even build up. I vacuum the floors after. Buying the ED500 was one of the best computer purchases I have ever made.
Absolute rubbish.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
I keep mine on a small table too, since on the floor is the worst place for a PC.
The trouble is that we live in a very dusty house on a busy road and we have two cats, one of which likes to attempt sleeping on my keyboard. I have no idea why cats like keyboards so much, but I think she's getting the message now.
Anyway, because my Storm Trooper has really good filters, the cleaning process only takes a few minutes.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I have no idea why cats like keyboards so much
Because the keyboard smells like you - and all the cookie and chip crumbs you drop on them! ;)
I also run no grills on the rear exhaust.
That's no problem there. If you have filters on the incoming air, the exhaust should be clean anyway.
Makes fan run louder for given air flow because more restriction.
Nah! More hogwash. Come on. Common sense needs to kick in here. Sorry Vario but you just keep demonstrating your own lack of knowledge on this subject. :(

Unless the fan is failing and the bearings are worn, the only thing that makes a fan run louder is faster RPMs. And what causes that? Nothing! Not unless the user adjusts the speed controls, or the case fans are managed by the motherboard based on monitored temps. If anything, a clogged fan will spin slower and thus will make less noise. And a clogged filter or vent grill will suppress fan noise.

Please stop spewing this nonsense, Vario. :( On a quality case with quality fans and filters, it is a piece of cake to inspect and if necessary clean the filters. It literally takes me less than 1 minute to inspect, remove, rinse off, pat dry and replace the filters on my Fractal Design case. And I can do it all without shutting down, removing the side panel, or even moving the computer.

If you don't want to hear your fans, don't buy cheap ones. It is important to note that fan effectiveness is base on aeronautical principles. The length, shape, pitch, and width of the blades all affect how much air they can scoop up and push along with each rotation AND how much noise the blades make in the process - as does the RPM. Just because two fans are both 140mm x 140mm x 25 mm, and are both spinning at 1000RPM, that IN NO WAY means they move the same amount of air or produce the same amount of noise. And that's not even considering noise produced by the bearings.

A quality, professionally designed fan can still move massive amounts of air through a filter while being almost completely silent. And as a general rule, larger fans move more air than smaller fans at the same RPM or even at a slower RPM where they make less noise.

So use quality fans, and the largest fans your case will support and you can still use air filters. Ignore the nonsense being spewed in this thread about filters not being worth it. Air filters in a quality case greatly reduces the amount of dust getting sucked into the case. Air filters in a quality case are easily removed and cleaned. And quality fans in a quality case will still provide outstanding air flow through those filters and case.

And did you notice I keep saying "quality" case and "quality" fans?

FTR, IMO, the choice of the power supply and the case are the two most important purchasing decisions a user needs to make when building or upgrading their computers. Not the motherboard, not the CPU, not the RAM, or anything else. A quality case and quality PSU will provide years of quality service through years of "evolutionary" hardware upgrades.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
The front fan filter that came with my Fractal Design Arc XL - it does hinder the intake a little, but nothing horribly noticeable unless you need the absolute best temps you can get. For example, out of curiosity I did a quick test. I ran a benchmark for the GPU and watched the temp on it - it was hitting 67C. I removed the filter to see if any difference was made and the temps dropped by 2C.

While the filter on my tower does hinder the overall cooling in my system by a couple of degrees, it's not something I'm worried about or concerned with. The filters on my tower are nice due to having 2 huskies - they constantly shed, regardless of how much we brush them. The filters do wonders for keeping dust, pet dander and fur out of the computer. I do, however, have to clean the filter off about once a week, along with the bottom filter. Small price to pay, but the inside stays pretty clean for me - aside from the stupid spider that made it's home there last week.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The front fan filter that came with my Fractal Design Arc XL - it does hinder the intake a little
Of course. There's no such thing a filter that offers zero resistance. That would be nice, but physically impossible. But as you note, the temperature difference is minimal. If you "need" that 2°C to prevent thermal related issues, you have other problems besides using air filters.
I do, however, have to clean the filter off about once a week, along with the bottom filter. Small price to pay, but the inside stays pretty clean for me
Huskies are big dogs too. No doubt you have dog hair everywhere. And I mean everywhere. ;) And I can imagine they shed a lot now that the warmer months are here. No doubts you have to clean the filters often. But hey! That's a whole lot easier than cleaning the interiors of computers.

I have to say, however, that cat hair is much worse. Cat hair and dander is more oily than dog's. It sticks. You almost need a putty knife to scrape that off when it has been allowed to caked on. Glad I don't, and never have owned cats. It makes me sneeze thinking about it! ;)

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Without filters, the job of cleaning the case inside takes a heck of a lot longer.
The two fans on my Corsair H100i radiator for example, suck in a huge amount of air, but fortunately the filter retains most of it and it's not exactly a chore pulling it out once in a while.
Same for the PSU filter and I expect most of us have seen some PSUs that are so clogged up that it's any wonder they still work.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Without filters, the job of cleaning the case inside takes a heck of a lot longer.
Not to mention more risky. There is no chance of ESD damage, or banging into things with a nozzle when dealing with filters. I will never buy a case again that does not have removable, washable filters.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I have to say, however, that cat hair is much worse. Cat hair and dander is more oily than dog's. It sticks. You almost need a putty knife to scrape that off when it has been allowed to caked on.
:shadedshu::shadedshu::shadedshu:
Wrong on so many levels, stick to what you know Bill.