• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC WONT BOOT AFTER ADDING NEW EXTRA FAN

master96

Hi guys

Since my pc got too hot sometimes i ordered a extra fan for more air flow. Today i received my sharkoon 120mm rgb fan and i went ahead and installed it. After installing it and reconnecting the cables my PC WONT BOOT AT ALL.

I tried resetting cmos, booting with nothing plugged in except mobo and still no boot. I tried other stuff as well from troubleshooting everything step by step from techsource's vid. I don't know what i did wrong since i just added a extra fan, the only thing i did is use an air duster to clean up a little bit. I think it's just my POWER SUPPLY so i went ahead and ordered the same 650w from corsair. Could it be anything else?

PC specs: i5 10600k, 32gb ram, rtx 2060 and msi mpg z490 as mobo.

Any help is greatly appreciated,currently i just removed my power supply and im waiting for my new one which will arrive tomorrow.

grtz

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi guys

Since my pc got too hot sometimes i ordered a extra fan for more air flow. Today i received my sharkoon 120mm rgb fan and i went ahead and installed it. After installing it and reconnecting the cables my PC WONT BOOT AT ALL.

I tried resetting cmos, booting with nothing plugged in except mobo and still no boot. I tried other stuff as well from troubleshooting everything step by step from techsource's vid. I don't know what i did wrong since i just added a extra fan, the only thing i did is use an air duster to clean up a little bit. I think it's just my POWER SUPPLY so i went ahead and ordered the same 650w from corsair. Could it be anything else?

PC specs: i5 10600k, 32gb ram, rtx 2060 and msi mpg z490 as mobo.

Any help is greatly appreciated,currently i just removed my power supply and im waiting for my new one which will arrive tomorrow.

grtz
Did you make sure every cable is plugged in properly? Something might have come loose. Check the 24-pin, EPS, PCIe power especially, but also look everything over in general. Check the front I/O cabling as well. Also, is the power switch on your PSU turned on?

Yes, I have to ask the obvious questions first :)

Does the PSU start if you short out the PS_ON pin to GND?
What happens when you try to turn on the PC? Nothing at all? Fan spin? Lights?

Did you try disconnecting the fan again? I've never heard of this happening (outside of pinched cables), but it's theoretically possible for it to somehow be shorting 12V to ground and causing OCP to trigger in the PSU.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
By air duster you mean canned compressed air? You're sure you had no water condensation on the board?
When you plugged in the new fan what sort of connector have you used?

master96

By air duster you mean canned compressed air? You're sure you had no water condensation on the board?
When you plugged in the new fan what sort of connector have you used?
Compressed air yes, there is 0% chance of water so that isnt it bro.

Did you make sure every cable is plugged in properly? Something might have come loose. Check the 24-pin, EPS, PCIe power especially, but also look everything over in general. Check the front I/O cabling as well. Also, is the power switch on your PSU turned on?

Yes, I have to ask the obvious questions first :)

Does the PSU start if you short out the PS_ON pin to GND?
What happens when you try to turn on the PC? Nothing at all? Fan spin? Lights?

Did you try disconnecting the fan again? I've never heard of this happening (outside of pinched cables), but it's theoretically possible for it to somehow be shorting 12V to ground and causing OCP to trigger in the PSU.
"Does the PSU start if you short out the PS_ON pin to GND?" what do u mean by this since i am not that of a expert when it comes to pc parts etc^^
I checked and re-checked every cable, switch on psu is obviously on hahaha.

When i turn on the pc NOTHING HAPPENS: no lights, nothing reacts so idk what it could be.

try this just to check if the problem its the psu

1622577230765.png

master96

So something strange happened.
As i said i took the whole power supply out but then since i had nothing to do i was like let me try just by connecting the cables from the outside just to see if it might turn on now and it DID TURN ON. So i thought nice it works again so i unplugged it and now i put the power supply back in did cable management and plugged the cables in again but now it wont turn on again, same thing zero reaction nothing turns on.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Have you tried jumping the power on pins on the mobo? You may have knocked the connector to the power switch loose.

Last edited:

master96

try this just to check if the problem its the psu

View attachment 202471

I just did this and my fan of my power supply is on so i presume its NOT my power supply. Could it be my motherboard?

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just did this and my fan of my power supply is on so i presume its NOT my power supply. Could it be my motherboard?
At the very least that indicates that the PSU is not fundamentally broken. It might still fail when a load is applied, but given that it turns on the PC should at least attempt to turn on (i.e. fans spinning etc.).
So something strange happened.
As i said i took the whole power supply out but then since i had nothing to do i was like let me try just by connecting the cables from the outside just to see if it might turn on now and it DID TURN ON. So i thought nice it works again so i unplugged it and now i put the power supply back in did cable management and plugged the cables in again but now it wont turn on again, same thing zero reaction nothing turns on.
To me this sounds like a ground fault - i.e. that something somewhere in your setup is shorting to ground, which would cause the PSU to refuse to turn on when prompted. It could be a wire pinched between components and the case, it could be a wire with damaged insulation, it might be a faulty component. Next step of troubleshooting: check your wiring for faults. Are any of your wires stretched very tightly? Are any of them clamped tightly between anything? Are any of them pinched in any screws or similar? After that, strip the system down to the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM, use the iGPU if you have one, and no drives connected. If the system fails to POST, remove your routed cables and let them run loosely from the PSU to their connectors. If it still fails, try removing the PSU from the system entirely. If the system POSTs (either with the bare minimum installed or with the PSU external), shut it off and add in and connect components one at a time, until it refuses to turn on. If it only fails to turn on when the PSU is installed in the case, that would seem to indicate an internal electrical fault in the PSU, though that's extremely rare. Did you use your air duster on the PSU as well? If so, shake it and listen if there is anything loose inside the PSU. Try blowing more air around inside of it to get any foreign objects loose.

master96

At the very least that indicates that the PSU is not fundamentally broken. It might still fail when a load is applied, but given that it turns on the PC should at least attempt to turn on (i.e. fans spinning etc.).

To me this sounds like a ground fault - i.e. that something somewhere in your setup is shorting to ground, which would cause the PSU to refuse to turn on when prompted. It could be a wire pinched between components and the case, it could be a wire with damaged insulation, it might be a faulty component. Next step of troubleshooting: check your wiring for faults. Are any of your wires stretched very tightly? Are any of them clamped tightly between anything? Are any of them pinched in any screws or similar? After that, strip the system down to the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM, use the iGPU if you have one, and no drives connected. If the system fails to POST, remove your routed cables and let them run loosely from the PSU to their connectors. If it still fails, try removing the PSU from the system entirely. If the system POSTs (either with the bare minimum installed or with the PSU external), shut it off and add in and connect components one at a time, until it refuses to turn on. If it only fails to turn on when the PSU is installed in the case, that would seem to indicate an internal electrical fault in the PSU, though that's extremely rare. Did you use your air duster on the PSU as well? If so, shake it and listen if there is anything loose inside the PSU. Try blowing more air around inside of it to get any foreign objects loose.
First of all thanks for ur time for replying here!
Second, i used the compressed air on the power supply as well, after i tried again and it suddenly kept turning on without a problem until i literally put it back in its place and fully installed it again as normal. Then it had no effect and still zero reaction. As for now, even without fully installing it just adding the mobo 24pin cable and trying to power up it WONT. There is again zero reaction, i’m receiving my new power supply and will start troubleshooting again with the new power supply.

i also tried only leaving in cpu, 1 stick ram and still no reaction at all. I took out ALL connections to the motherboard and left it like that overnight, later when my new psu arrives how should i correctly start troubleshooting and building up?

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Take the motherboard out of the case and breadboard it.

master96

Take the motherboard out of the case and breadboard it.
I tried this (didnt work) but with the power on button since i cannot find the on/off power switch on my mobo :/ i have an msi mpg z490

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I tried this (didnt work) but with the power on button since i cannot find the on/off power switch on my mobo :/ i have an msi mpg z490
page 5 of your motherboard manual.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
were the fans plugged in when you did this?

It sounds like the case on/off switch and/or the wiring as already said.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
It's also possible that something causing electrical short circuit and that your PSU or mobo preventing PC to turn on because of that

master96

It's also possible that something causing electrical short circuit and that your PSU or mobo preventing PC to turn on because of that
I just tried the starting the mobo by putting a screwdriver on the pins but no reaction. When i do the paperclip test with my psu the fan of the psu starts spinning. I already removed ALL CABLES except cpu, 1 ram stick and even then ZERO REACTION. Gonna try later today with my new psu, if still no reaction I think it could be my MOBO?

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
I just tried the starting the mobo by putting a screwdriver on the pins but no reaction. When i do the paperclip test with my psu the fan of the psu starts spinning. I already removed ALL CABLES except cpu, 1 ram stick and even then ZERO REACTION. Gonna try later today with my new psu, if still no reaction I think it could be my MOBO?
Sometimes even your mobo from the other side could slightly touch the metal part of the case and that could also cause short circuit(check that or put something in between/cardboard)or could be the PSU malfunction....you need to check everything twice......GL

master96

Sometimes even your mobo from the other side could slightly touch the metal part of the case and that could also cause short circuit(check that or put something in between/cardboard)or could be the PSU malfunction....you need to check everything twice......GL
Will probably just remove my mobo and install it again to be sure, thanks i appreciate it!

Tried everything with A BRAND NEW PSU and still no reaction at all.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Case Lian Li
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Will probably just remove my mobo and install it again to be sure, thanks i appreciate it!

Tried everything with A BRAND NEW PSU and still no reaction at all.
Did you tried to remove mobo from that case?

master96

I removed the mobo but i cannot test it since the “jumpstarting” by pressing screwdriver to the 2 pins doesnt work, so i ordered the exact same mobo and tomorrow it should be here. Or is there anything else i could try

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Case Lian Li
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
I removed the mobo but i cannot test it since the “jumpstarting” by pressing screwdriver to the 2 pins doesnt work, so i ordered the exact same mobo and tomorrow it should be here. Or is there anything else i could try
Well...if you tried everything as you said you did then seems like possible motherboard malfunction......If the new mobo arriving tomorrow at least you ain't going to wait for long time....GL

tl:dr

Wait, a 3 pin fan? Did I read the OP correctly that you "reconnected my cables" What exactly did you have to do to install this new fan? I don't think I normally unplug things to install a 3 pin fan, although everyone does their PC a little different..