• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSA: AMD's Graphics Driver will Eat One CPU Core when No Radeon Installed

With all due respect, no commercial programmer should make a mistake like this ever.
That's an opinion. I appreciate your passions and expertise in this area. However I think you are being a little less than objective here.
It's actually less complicated than you think.
No it isn't. I've recently been dipping into ASM coding for the 65C02 CPU. That is 8-bit code in a total code package of less than 128kb. THAT is very complicated and we are way beyond all of the 8bit stuff with modern PC code.

Last edited:
Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Mhm yeah they also totally havent been making and hopefully nurturing a driver team since forever, right?

This is inexcusable for such a big company. The only reason is what we have always suspected: lack of talent is cheaper. Its how they have kept both AMD and RTG afloat with minimal expense.

Its a trend, not an occurrence. And AMD condones the shit quality code. Driver and microcode oopsies happen all the time. Fix forward seems to be the approach and overall strategy. It is for that reason also that such anomalies in code exists. The impossible was forced to possible with dirty tricks. If you roll back and fix, you dont need those.

I'm sure, you will be able to share with us, some personal stories about the talentless AMD employees and how they condone shitty quality work.
Driver oopsies happens with everyone. Many WHQL Nvidia drivers have Hotfix releases.
I don't know about microcode problems with AMD, what i do know is that, i had to update my Intel chipset firmware yet again, because of 20+ CVE's.
The amount of times i had to update IME firmware because of CVE's is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Evidence of a mistake, yes. However, the problem that exists strikes me as one that is fairly complicated and not something that could have been anticipated as a potential issue. This was an honest mistake much like the ones Intel, NVidia, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Adobe, etc, etc have made. Computer code is extremely complicated. People really need to stop making mountains out of mole-hills.

This situation, simplified down(as best I can manage, @W1zzard feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood things), is a set of instructions intended to perform a function erroring out and failing to truncate the process it's attached to, getting caught in an infinite loop and as a result pegs the CPU it's thread is running on at full processing cycles. This unfortunately continues until the process is terminated by system or user command.

People offering negative comments really need take a step back and think about how complicated things really are and try a bit of understanding. This is an example of something slipping passed those in charge of testing & debugging. Little more.
Wizzard mentioned specifically already that in cases where a loop can get stuck executing infinitely, any seasoned programmer would have put in thresholds to terminate the abnormal behavior. The only way this would have been caught is with a code review. Testing would not have caught this, because the situation of not having the hardware installed with the software falls out of coverage scenarios. The fact that there were no attempts at any safeguards is puzzling and lends concern towards risky programming behavior, as evidenced by the plague of RDNA driver problems.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
THAT is very complicated

From a code branching perspective and decompiling (or lack thereof) perspective it's actually less.

You're not the only one who has played with asm. I used to write and make eeprom replacement games for my NES. ;)

This thread sure went places over a edge case.
But hey, it's driving weekend traffic, plus we can shit on RTG drivers, so life's good.

you know what, never mind.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
O look amds software team being utter shiet again
more news at 11

psa: to the non programmers when you see errors like this its indicative of a programmer not knowing what the fuck they are doing
no good programmer would make this mistake, It leaves one to wonder if they made this error..... What else did they fubar that may be causing unnecessary performance penalty's

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I'm sure, you will be able to share with us, some personal stories about the talentless AMD employees and how they condone shitty quality work.
Driver oopsies happens with everyone. Many WHQL Nvidia drivers have Hotfix releases.
I don't know about microcode problems with AMD, what i do know is that, i had to update my Intel chipset firmware yet again, because of 20+ CVE's.
The amount of times i had to update IME firmware because of CVE's is mind-boggling.

Look what coding oopsies did to the 737 MAX :roll: . After a whole year AMD has managed to iron out the oopsies from their previous drivers, only to make new ones.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Look what coding oopsies did to the 737 MAX :roll: . After a whole year AMD has managed to iron out the oopsies from their previous drivers, only to make new ones.
Quite a leap you took there, from GPUs to 737 Max. Also are you saying that, Nvidia writes infallible code?

Alot programming gurus in this comment section, maybe you should apply for a job at AMD. Explain to them, how you're going to save them from themselves.

Processor Intel i7-5820k
Motherboard ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x AMD Vega Frontier Edition 16GB
Storage 4x 3TB Hitachi ALE641
Display(s) 3x Dell U2312HM
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Mouse Redragon Perdition
Keyboard Bloody B740 LightStrike
Software Windows 10
it's not rocket science maybe, except AMD developers aren't able to fix a very basic issue (you don't have the hardware, don't load the driver).
Not every user is aware of this problem. But AMD developers should be.

The driver isn't loading at all. Calling the settings application a hardware driver shows how knowledgeable you are about this so-called "issue". This is hyperbole at best, but realistically, it's another pathetic hitpiece against AMD that has no basis in fact or reason.

People keep making drama about this, but there's effectively no issue. Prattling on and beating a dead horse over nothing is just childish behavior. TPU should strive to be better than to devolve to such pettiness, in any event. This is making me really miss HardOCP.

CoUsT

I have Radeon GPU and it still puts one thread at 100% usage. Check following image. i.imgur.com/XEbMEW2.png

You can clearly see I can use Radeon settings just fine and it even picks up GPU but it still takes one thread for itself. I just DDU'ed system again and it didn't change anything. I have to kill Radeon Settings process every time I use it.

Might as well downgrade to like 19.something version, at least it was nice and stable and not bloated.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The driver isn't loading at all. Calling the settings application a hardware driver shows how knowledgeable you are about this so-called "issue". This is hyperbole at best, but realistically, it's another pathetic hitpiece against AMD that has no basis in fact or reason.

People keep making drama about this, but there's effectively no issue. Prattling on and beating a dead horse over nothing is just childish behavior. TPU should strive to be better than to devolve to such pettiness, in any event. This is making me really miss HardOCP.

I'm glad you think W1zzard did a "hitpiece" against AMD. Just go ahead and ignore the very positive reviews of Ryzens and their latest GPU's. It also means you are completely ignorant of his early days, which were very much ATI related. Do I need to tell you what ATI was? What he did do was use his very good technical knowledge and investigate, then write a clear, level-headed post which would hopefully help one or two people.

I can tell you from experience helping people, regular people don't know squat and do this kind of thing all the time, and don't know how to fix it. This post will explain it and tell them what to do, since it will now like be a search engine result.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Quite a leap you took there, from GPUs to 737 Max. Also are you saying that, Nvidia writes infallible code?
Alot programming gurus in this comment section, maybe you should apply for a job at AMD. Explain to them, how you're going to save them from themselves.

Yeah I should offer AMD a piece of advice: "stop asking your customers to beta test your drivers and hire real beta testers" :roll: .

Well I had some small bugs with Nvidia driver too but they only last for a very short time, like a week or two before a hotfix come out, didn't have to send email to Nvidia or anything.

System Name HydroAMD
Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Watercooling: 360mm Fans: 6x Corsair RGB 120mm
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo @ 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Black
Storage Samsung Evo 960 500GB - 2TB HP EX950 m.2 - 1TB 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 32" Curved QHD C32HG70 2560×1440
Case Corsair Crystal 570X
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy - 18284
This one simple trick to fix this issue: Don't install drivers and bundled software on a system for a piece of hardware not installed.
Basically this.

Breaking news: Software installed on computer, does stuff on computer, news at 8.

Processor Intel i7-5820k
Motherboard ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x AMD Vega Frontier Edition 16GB
Storage 4x 3TB Hitachi ALE641
Display(s) 3x Dell U2312HM
Mouse Redragon Perdition
Keyboard Bloody B740 LightStrike
Software Windows 10
I have Radeon GPU and it still puts one thread at 100% usage. Check following image. i.imgur.com/XEbMEW2.png

You can clearly see I can use Radeon settings just fine and it even picks up GPU but it still takes one thread for itself. I just DDU'ed system again and it didn't change anything. I have to kill Radeon Settings process every time I use it.

Might as well downgrade to like 19.something version, at least it was nice and stable and not bloated.

Doesn't occur here, you might try reinstalling as you suggested.

I'm glad you think W1zzard did a "hitpiece" against AMD. Just go ahead and ignore the very positive reviews of Ryzens and their latest GPU's. It also means you are completely ignorant of his early days, which were very much ATI related. Do I need to tell you what ATI was? What he did do was use his very good technical knowledge and investigate, then write a clear, level-headed post which would hopefully help one or two people.

I can tell you from experience helping people, regular people don't know squat and do this kind of thing all the time, and don't know how to fix it. This post will explain it and tell them what to do, since it will now like be a search engine result.

I've been buying products since the very first Radeon 32SDR became available, so no, you don't have to do the whole condescending attitude and assume. People can make mistakes, they're allowed. Publishing this ridiculous farce was a mistake, though, and admitting mistakes is the first step on the road to admitting problems that may exist.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Just confirmed i have this bug on my server - i did a GPU swap from an RX 570 to a GT 610 to save on idle wattage, and it's been sitting at 6.7% CPU usage for almost 10 days now....

oops.

edit: i tried clicking the tray icon only for it to vanish and stop wasting CPU power, somethings definitely weird on this one.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Just confirmed i have this bug on my server - i did a GPU swap from an RX 570 to a GT 610 to save on idle wattage, and it's been sitting at 6.7% CPU usage for almost 10 days now....

oops.

edit: i tried clicking the tray icon only for it to vanish and stop wasting CPU power, somethings definitely weird on this one.

Hey, it could be using your CPU for mining purposes for all you know :D

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback

cut the I am not a expert so you can't be one either bullshit please if you don't understand the gravity of why this is bad and your only focus is on MaH UnDerDoG please just show your self out

This is not going to have a job tomarrow bad if they find who ever signed off on this (assuming anybody at AMD cares about code quality which we know they don't ) =\

nobody mentioned Nvidia you did so you can stop with the bias crap

if I was AMD I would hire a reputable code auditing service and have them check there entire code for errors like this odds are there is more

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
That's exactly why I made this post. So people are like "oh wait, could this affect me?" and spend 30 seconds looking at Task Manager. Guess those idle power savings from GT610 were used up by the CPU ;)

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
so the take away from this are;

1. coders are lazy and,
2. remove software for hardware no longer in the system.

in other news, the sky is blue, grass is green and rain is wet :lol:

before the flames start, i think amd not doing their job is just as bad as leaving software on your system for hardware you removed. both to blame like.

AMD bloatware installed with the drivers is very buggy and annoying.

Yesterday I put all OC settings directly in to the bios of my card so don't need use it anymore. Tried using afterburner but it was messing stock bios fan profile up.

Bit extreme maybe but feel much better just using the driver.

System Name No name, yet..
Processor AMD 1800X at stock settings.
Motherboard AsRock X370 itx/ac, /diy vrm heatsink.
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 240LT.
Memory 2 x 8gb G.Skill Flare 3200/CL14.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2060 oc rev2.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB m.2, Crucial MX500 2TB sata.
Display(s) HP ZR24W.
Case DIY ITX.
Power Supply Be Quiet 500W sfx-l
Software Win10 home, Ubuntu linux.
As a "hobby programmer"(*), i've made similar coding mistakes regarding timeouts with unplugged hardware that i made. I think this article was very informative and as i see it, unbiased.

But things escalate quickly.

(*) I started with C64 basic and asm. Then moved on to PCs and Pascal. After that Delphi and AVR asm. It was very hard to learn Windows programming and while i loved coding, every now and then i needed something new that i had to learn. And part of me hated that. Haven't coded a line like in 8 or 10 years, and now, if i want to start again, i must learn a new language, like C...

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
What am I missing here? @Wizzard you forgot to remove the driver and the software before pulling the gfx card or the coding in the associated driver application is crap. YOU as the user are always supposed to uninstall driver...!!! This WHOLE article could have been condensed down a single line -

"When removing a gfx card remember to always uninstall the driver & associated application, if that doesn't work, use DDU. "

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Are people not getting that this is just reporting a bug?

Like.... it's a PSA not a call to arms.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
There is literal evidence of shitty coding practices in the OP of this article. It's not FUD at this point, it's a question of how deep the rabbit hole goes.
You SHOULD be asking yourself how much "fine wine" could be gained by fixing all the sure-to-be-found similar crap in the driver. It could be extraordinary.
Like I argued in #40, the problem Wizz found here is just a symptom of something bigger, the tip of the ice berg if you will. In terms of debugging, we are actually "lucky" when bugs cause consistent stalls or crashes, those are easy to attach a debugger and find, and should be found by AMD if they did proper testing. Most synchronization issues are often much harder to reproduce consistently, and often disappear when you attach a debugger.

I disagree about AMD just fixing similar crap and getting extraordinary results. Don't get me wrong, every bug should be fixed, but the inconsistent reliability issues I've seen over many years with AMD drivers tells me there is probably some larger "design flaw". If this was easily fixable, AMD would have fixed it a long time ago.

Me too. My experience (and attempt to help others) with the 5700 XT is well documented here on the forums. In particular, DX11 cpu overhead is absurd.
Perhaps the overhead is "absurd" if you make an isolated test case, but it's not absurd in practice.
Nevertheless, AMD could easily do what Nvidia did, by bringing most of the driver side improvements of DirectX 12 to 11, but that would ruin the image of AMD being better at DirectX 12 though.

With all due respect, no commercial programmer should make a mistake like this ever. It's... I guess you just have to be a programmer to understand. It's like trying to hard boil an egg without water. It shows you have no business in the kitchen.
Really?
Have you worked at code bases of 100.000s or millions of lines of code, possibly with an awful complex structure?
Keep in mind that we are talking about a minor "glitch" here, which could be either a careless mistake or even the result of a bad merge. All programmers do small mistakes, and I'll be the first one to admit doing some embarrassing ones, but what really shows programming skills (or lack thereof) is how problems are solved, not a tiny mistake. And I mean no disrespect here, but having such attitudes as an engineer is not healthy.

One of the bigger problems I've had in development teams over the years is that lesser coders don't dare to challenge my work, even when I've strongly encouraged them to try to break it. So getting good QA can sometimes be challenging.

Evidence of a mistake, yes. However, the problem that exists strikes me as one that is fairly complicated and not something that could have been anticipated as a potential issue. This was an honest mistake much like the ones Intel, NVidia, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Adobe, etc, etc have made. Computer code is extremely complicated. People really need to stop making mountains out of mole-hills.
Mostly true, yes.
But regarding anticipating issues; all such software projects should have routines designed to validate that a release is working reasonably well. While I don't expect anyone to never make a bug, it is astonishing that they didn't test if the driver behaved erratically in a system with a different GPU present, this should certainly be in their test suite.
Edit: Let me take another example; some years ago AMD managed to ship two drivers in a row, both failing to compile most GLSL shaders, even basic ones. I still don't understand how it's "possible" to ship a driver without validating basic stuff like this.

What am I missing here? @Wizzard you forgot to remove the driver and the software before pulling the gfx card or the coding in the associated driver application is crap. YOU as the user are always supposed to uninstall driver...!!! This WHOLE article could have been condensed down a single line -

"When removing a gfx card remember to always uninstall the driver & associated application, if that doesn't work, use DDU. "
This nonsense has been debunked several times, there are many reasons to have different GPUs present, such as;
APU + GPU
Developers or other engineers having multiple GPUs for various compute and simulations

Even APIs like DirectX 12 and Vulkan is designed to work with multiple GPUs from different makes. There is simply no excuse when a driver suite don't handle this.

Last edited:
System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
  • there are many reasons to have different GPUs present, such as - APU + GPU. Developers or other engineers having multiple GPUs for various compute and simulations
  • There is simply no excuse when a driver suite don't handle this.
  • Correct and I have done this myself on a few occasions.
  • There is never an excuse for poorly behaving software, but leaving the driver & associated application installed after the relevent GPU is no longer present is just asking for trouble.