• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raise signature size limit

Should the signature file size limit be raised?

• Total voters
19kb is sufficient for ANY signature. If anyone here needs more quality thats too bad. My sigs are all great quality. If you cannot get it under a size, you are not using the "save for web" option in photoshop.

I PROMISE I use photoshop more than ANY of you, so please take my advice when I say 19kb is MORE than enough.

I'm sorry but i make my own decisions and while i appreciate your advice, i will have to respectfully disagree. I also use Photoshop and use "save for web" where needed. I actually I think it's a little rude for you to say what is more or less then enough for me, Do i tell you what i think you need, thing or is sufficient?

If you could back up your broad statements with some kind of insight that is relative to the topic, i am all ears, but a blanket statement..

I PROMISE I use photoshop more than ANY of you, so please take my advice when I say 19kb is MORE than enough.

I'm sure you drive a car (well maybe) but does that mean you can tell me how to drive or what car is good for me?

Last edited:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
I'm sorry but i make my own decisions and while i appreciate your advice, i will have to respectfully disagree. I also use Photoshop and use "save for web" where needed. I actually I think it's a little rude for you to say what is more or less then enough for me, Do i tell you what i think you need, thing or is sufficient?

If you could back up your broad statements with some kind of insight that is relative to the topic, i am all ears, but a blanket statement..

I'm sure you drive a car (well mabye) but does that mean you can tell me how to drive or what car is good for me?

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comments. Just to show the difference:

Here is worst quality: (7.29kb)

Here is best quality: (77.81kb)

Here is med quality: (just under 19kb)

The colors in max quality are just a BIT better than med quality. Same with sharpness. It is almost not noticeable to an average forumgoer.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
19kb is sufficient for ANY signature. If anyone here needs more quality thats too bad. My sigs are all great quality. If you cannot get it under a size, you are not using the "save for web" option in photoshop.

It's not so much as getting the image under our size restrictions, as it is that in some cases it affects IQ to a noticeable degree.

I'm not trying to argue with you at all, from one PS user to the next; I know my ways around PS quite well myself for the type of work I do . . . but, take my earlier image I had posted on page 1, for example . . .

if you can explain to me how to cut the image quality in such a way as to not induce blurring, gamma correction, or pixelation - I'd be ecstatic. Although I'm not happy with the final image quality myself, there's nothing else I can really do with it. Personally, I don't like submitting a work like that to a user for approval, especially when the pixelation is blatantly obvious . . . it leaves me feeling that the final work isn't on par with what it should be.

Perhaps the work I do just gets too complex to allow for a good compression/IQ ratio, I'm not sure - I'm open to suggestions! :toast:

I think you thinking is flawed, you state that ..

It is almost not noticeable to an average forumgoer.

It isn't noticeable to them, i agree with you

If i design something that i want to put out there to represent something, it has to be good enough for me. My target is not the average forumgoer but i's my own standards.
Like the other guy said, he doesn't even notice that. I do higer qualiy work if possible for myself and for people that appriciate the subtle quality differences.

I think there is a difference between 20k compressed and 50k, I can see it and I notice it. So if TPU felt that they could indulge my creative side with my art then that would make me happy, if they don't then that is their call, so i support Mussels in his asking for a small increase in size.
Not debating creative compression methods or bandwith and storage usage. That is up to TPU to determine where they want to improve their forum and where they don't.

Frankly I am glad to be a part of this forum and would support it no matter what, but I think that giving creative people better support in the way of an extra 30k in banner size a very cool thing to do. And if thy don't I am not going anywhere.

TPU Rocks :rockout:

Last edited:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
I think you thinking is flawed, you state that ..

If i design something that i want to put out there to represent something, it has to be good enough for me. My target is not the average forumgoer but i's my own standards.
Like the other guy said, he doesn't even notice that. I do higer qualiy work if possible for myself and for people that appriciate the subtle quality differences.

I think there is a difference between 20k compressed and 50k, I can see it and I notice it. So if TPU felt that they could indulge my creatice side with my art then that would make me happy, if they don't they that is their call, so i support Mussels in his asking for a small increase in size.
Not debating creative compression methods or bandwith and storage usage. That is up to TPU to determine where they want to improve their forum and where they don't.

Frankly I am glad to be a part of this forum and would support it no matter what, but I think that giving creative people better support in the way of an extra 30k in banner size a very cool thing to do. And if thy don't I am not going anywhere.

TPU Rocks :rockout:

I agree, it is noticeable, but is it necessary? I asked way back when for an increase in size too. I agree, I can see how the extra 30k would help, but when it comes down to it, my standards are high, but I have learned to accept the 19k and optimize towards it. Overall would it be helpful? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Will the increase make W1z happy? No. Will it make most users happy? Yes. Do I want it to be increased? Sure. Do I think it needs to be increased? No.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Uh-huh . . . so, I can go make a sig that's 5MB in size, and it's permissable if it's via an offsite link?

Last I checked, offsite image links for sigs over our size and dimensions limit weren't allowed, either - but, hey, that gives me a thought . . . seeing as how our TPU image hosting is free, why not upload maximum image size per our dimensions limit and then link those? I mean, it's not offsite anymore . . . as long as we don't mind the TPU image hosting watermark.

but - that would be abusing a free service provided by us.

offsite linking also slows down page load times as well - much more than a local, larger image size would

No, sig images still have to be reasonable, but in general no one really cares if you are using an external hosting for the image as long as it is still reasonable. The demensions have to stay at 500x100 on picks in the sig, but they can be over the 19kb.

So you speak for TPU. What bothers me is when people can't make a real argument/responce about the point, they try to make the issue about something it's not. Do you know if TPU complains about sigs taking up to much space? I am wondering why you get so mad an argue like you are paying the TPU hosting fees or are a owner or even have anything to do with the things that you say bother you. Please explain to me how you can speak for TPU or their point of view. Who are you? :rockout:

I would think the OP can speak for TPU more then you an he made the post and is a moderator.

They aren't trying to improve the site, in fact their idea would only make the site worse. Increased bandwidth usage is defintely an issue relating to this topic. What bothers me most is when someone wants to get their way, and they completely ignore the down sides for others.

I don't have anything to do with the hosting fees of TPU, however I do understand the concept of hosting fees, and have to deal with it on a daily basis. I've had several clients that have had to shut down sites because they couldn't pay hosting fees because of a free service that users took advantage of. If TPU as a whole suffers because the hosting fees go up, it definitely affects me. And yes, I am going to get angry when selfish users complain about a free service because they don't think it is good enough, and want TPU to put out more money because they are selfish.

Also who's complaining, Mussels asked about the idea of larger banner size for the sigs. I didn't take that as complaining as much as exploring a way that might enhance the site for some people.

Why are you getting so mad about this, we are are only trying to explore this as a possibility and take into consideration everyones feelings, comments and especially idea's so i don't see why your so offended,

All the people that are saying it isn't big enough, and it hurts image quality, are complaining.

Negative, just tried, external images have the follow the same size, 19KB.

Check my image, it is more than 19kb. If you want a bigger image in your sig, use the IMG tag to insert it from an external site. Don't use the upload tool at the bottom of the sig page, as even when you put in an external link, it hosts the image on TPU servers.

You know my side, I just say i agree that we disagree, I am for the added 30k in banner size. but i just have to comment on this....

They aren't trying to improve the site,

So you are saying that TPU isn' trying to improve their site???

That has to be the comment of the week! :eek:

I agree, it is noticeable, but is it necessary? I asked way back when for an increase in size too. I agree, I can see how the extra 30k would help, but when it comes down to it, my standards are high, but I have learned to accept the 19k and optimize towards it. Overall would it be helpful? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Will the increase make W1z happy? No. Will it make most users happy? Yes. Do I want it to be increased? Sure. Do I think it needs to be increased? No.

So now you got my head spinning?>>:twitch:

here is the OP...
While i understand the goal of keeping sigs small to save bandwidth and prevent lag, i really would like it increased a little. its very hard when you get a great sig made, and its got to be compressed so heavily that it goes blurry and stops looking good.

Not asking for something ridiculous here, just a small increase.

Current size is around 19KB i beleive, i'd like that raised to the 30-50KB range.

Any comments?

Where does it says
"it has to be needed" :confused:
"is it necessary"?????:eek:
"Will the increase make W1z happy?" :shadedshu

Who asked those questions. Why did you think that you need to stand against it, "just trust you", I think was your original post, "i don't need it"?
why not read the OP and keep true to his direction...

"I agree, it is noticeable,"\:p
"I can see how the extra 30k would help":)
"Overall would it be helpful? Yes":toast:
"Will it make most users happy? Yes. ":eek:
"Do I want it to be increased? Sure.:rockout:

nuff said

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
So now you got my head spinning?>>:twitch:

here is the OP...

Where does it says
"it has to be needed" :confused:
"is it necessary"?????:eek:
"Will the increase make W1z happy?" :shadedshu

Who asked those questions. Why did you think that you need to stand against it, "just trust you", I think was your original post, "i don't need it"?
why not read the OP and keep true to his direction...

"I agree, it is noticeable,"\:p
"I can see how the extra 30k would help":)
"Overall would it be helpful? Yes":toast:
"Will it make most users happy? Yes. ":eek:
"Do I want it to be increased? Sure.:rockout:

nuff said

I'm just playing devil's advocate. Don't worry my friend, I'm not against you, I just know W1z will not go for it. Good luck, but it is up to the one man / split personality of 2 shy lesbians to choose. :laugh:

Hey, i'm not worrying, I don't use banners except when i want to make a statement, also this isn't personal,i just felt it was a good idea .
I felt it was a valid request. I don't know W1z but like his site and support any decisions, but playing devils advocate against what your about, now that is a little crazy, I thought creative sorts stick togethr.
You know overclocking is very creative, this is very much an expression of art....

Bling vs. getto, air vs xtreme but it all comes down to how creative you are with all the little things, love this stuff :rockout:

I just thought there would be more support :shadedshu

and how some people fought against it no holes barred and it wasn't even a vote thread but just "any comments" :ohwell:

WOW!

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06

photoshop is a very expensive program, so all of you need to go out and spend that $600 RIGHT NOW so you can use your "save for web" option. WTF?

also, please dont make promises you cant keep, there are those of us (me and my wife, for her photography business) spend days at a time on photoshop, because it is their job. We use a $1000 Nikon D60 w/ lenses, and we get paid to do weddings, parties, birthdays, senior pictues, etc... along with doing work for sears photography.

This isnt a thread to put others down private caboose 1337(?), its just a request for a higher sig, dont use it if you dont want to.
good day, friend.

Case Apevia
Software winXP Pro
No, sig images still have to be reasonable, but in general no one really cares if you are using an external hosting for the image as long as it is still reasonable. The demensions have to stay at 500x100 on picks in the sig, but they can be over the 19kb.

They aren't trying to improve the site, in fact their idea would only make the site worse. Increased bandwidth usage is defintely an issue relating to this topic. What bothers me most is when someone wants to get their way, and they completely ignore the down sides for others.

I don't have anything to do with the hosting fees of TPU, however I do understand the concept of hosting fees, and have to deal with it on a daily basis. I've had several clients that have had to shut down sites because they couldn't pay hosting fees because of a free service that users took advantage of. If TPU as a whole suffers because the hosting fees go up, it definitely affects me. And yes, I am going to get angry when selfish users complain about a free service because they don't think it is good enough, and want TPU to put out more money because they are selfish.

EDIT: just saw your post newtekie, going to try it right now, and ill thank you for it if it works :p

All the people that are saying it isn't big enough, and it hurts image quality, are complaining.

Check my image, it is more than 19kb. If you want a bigger image in your sig, use the IMG tag to insert it from an external site. Don't use the upload tool at the bottom of the sig page, as even when you put in an external link, it hosts the image on TPU servers.

also newtekie, they still have to be 19kb, i just tried a 40kb image from my website, and it said file size too large. It is the same exact image that im using in my sig right now, just with less compresson, so it isnt the physical size.
EDIT: sry, double posting like a newb mofo here, but as you can see ive only 3.29 posts per day, it is purely unintentional.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I agree the dimensions are fine - but some sig images, the amount of compression necessary to reach out kb cap can get ridiculous, and some images are more prone to the artifacting than others.

.jpg format, optimized at 55% quality (25kb)

.jpg format, optimized at 50% quality (19kb)
[/CENTER]

This is a good example of what i mean: 25KB instead of 19KB. while it may vary on your screen, on here the color difference in the text is massive. its the difference between a bright neon green and a dull, dark green.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
photoshop is a very expensive program, so all of you need to go out and spend that $600 RIGHT NOW so you can use your "save for web" option. WTF?

also, please dont make promises you cant keep, there are those of us (me and my wife, for her photography business) spend days at a time on photoshop, because it is their job. We use a $1000 Nikon D60 w/ lenses, and we get paid to do weddings, parties, birthdays, senior pictues, etc... along with doing work for sears photography.

This isnt a thread to put others down private caboose 1337(?), its just a request for a higher sig, dont use it if you dont want to.
good day, friend.

you could spend nothing and learn to use GIMP

This is a good example of what i mean: 25KB instead of 19KB. while it may vary on your screen, on here the color difference in the text is massive. its the difference between a bright neon green and a dull, dark green.

use a .PNG and edit your palette you can reduce size and keep the same quality

Case Apevia
Software winXP Pro
i can see it perfectly, as you can see the bottom picture has a faded tint. Speaking of which, how do you like your sennheiser headphones? I had some sennheiser CX400s that i bought in iraq for about $90 (msrp 120 or so), had them stolen, liked them so much i ordered them again, although they are less now.
yes, if you know how to utilize Gimp it can be as powerful as photoshop. I use macromedia fireworks as much as photoshop, and now that its been bought out, fireworks integrates with photoshop.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
i can see it perfectly, as you can see the bottom picture has a faded tint. Speaking of which, how do you like your sennheiser headphones? I had some sennheiser CX400s that i bought in iraq for about $90 (msrp 120 or so), had them stolen, liked them so much i ordered them again, although they are less now.
yes, if you know how to utilize Gimp it can be as powerful as photoshop. I use macromedia fireworks as much as photoshop, and now that its been bought out, fireworks integrates with photoshop.

if your cheap you can us paint shop pro its very good for the cost and i have like 8 copies i got free with stuff lol

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
all you chilli peppers need banned for exciting a riot.

EDIT: hello erocker

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
all you chilli peppers need banned for exciting a riot.

EDIT: hello erocker

What? Did you see I was looking at this thread? I have absolutely no comment regarding any of this.:rolleyes:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Also that 20k shouldn't impact the loading times and if it does, there should be a setting to turn all sig's off.

I say give it a 1 month trial, then see what problems arise and what they specifically are, rather then trying to hear opinions.

It will. In a thread's page (default 24 posts/page), even if 15 people have 40KB sigpics, that's an extra 300 KB to load.

And you think "trying it out" sounds logistical? If it doesn't work out, what to expect us to, PM everyone with 40KB sigpic to have them removed? The software won't block uploading sigpics upto 40 KB in size during the "trial period", while after it, if decided against, the software won't "block" your 40 KB sigpic that's already uploaded, it will merely enforce the older 19.5 KB limit when you upload fresh sigpics. So "trying out" isn't a good option.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA

not if a mod takes note of it - every once in a while, especially in GN, you're likely to run across a post by a mod asking another user to fix their sig because it's over our size limit - and the only way to get around that restriction is to hard-link to the image itself.

I'll say most of the time it goes unnoticed, as it's typically only new users that will do this, and I've never seen anyone put up a fight about it, either. What they do let slide are the images such as what's in your sig, or HWbot sigs, etc - but those images don't really breach the 19kb limit by too much.

use a .PNG and edit your palette you can reduce size and keep the same quality

this is a possibility - but it eliminates the greenish "glow" that I had wanted around the blue text. I was hopign to merge the two colors associated with Intel/nVidia for his sig . . .

what happens with the higher compression to reach the 19k, the fog-like glow is reduced to pixelation, and that color is blurred with the surrounding blue from the text, creating an almost bleed-like effect.

If you take a look at the barely compressed, 100% quality image, you can clearly see what I was going for - the text is a bluish color, surrounded by a warm-green glow. The colors I picked were very close in saturation to each other so that they would blend well side-by-side. The final compressed image, though, negates that effect.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Even if externally linked, the 19.5 KB rule stays. With that rule, the forum staff isn't trying to "reduce the load on its own servers", but rather making sure someone from Iraq with a 256 kbps connection gets the same experience as someone with a 20 Mbps connection in Europe. TPU's servers dole out dozens of terabytes of data every year. It's never been a bandwidth issue on its side.

W1z, however made exceptions for F@H, Hwbot sigpics that are live-updated, so you're free to use that. You're not free to do so with "fun" graphics sigpics.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
not if a mod takes note of it - every once in a while, especially in GN, you're likely to run across a post by a mod asking another user to fix their sig because it's over our size limit - and the only way to get around that restriction is to hard-link to the image itself.

I'll say most of the time it goes unnoticed, as it's typically only new users that will do this, and I've never seen anyone put up a fight about it, either. What they do let slide are the images such as what's in your sig, or HWbot sigs, etc - but those images don't really breach the 19kb limit by too much.

this is a possibility - but it eliminates the greenish "glow" that I had wanted around the blue text. I was hopign to merge the two colors associated with Intel/nVidia for his sig . . .

what happens with the higher compression to reach the 19k, the fog-like glow is reduced to pixelation, and that color is blurred with the surrounding blue from the text, creating an almost bleed-like effect.

If you take a look at the barely compressed, 100% quality image, you can clearly see what I was going for - the text is a bluish color, surrounded by a warm-green glow. The colors I picked were very close in saturation to each other so that they would blend well side-by-side. The final compressed image, though, negates that effect.

pm me the original and i will try and get it under 19K without killing it

It will. In a thread's page (default 24 posts/page), even if 15 people have 40KB sigpics, that's an extra 300 KB to load.

And you think "trying it out" sounds logistical? If it doesn't work out, what to expect us to, PM everyone with 40KB sigpic to have them removed? The software won't block uploading sigpics upto 40 KB in size during the "trial period", while after it, if decided against, the software won't "block" your 40 KB sigpic that's already uploaded, it will merely enforce the older 19.5 KB limit when you upload fresh sigpics. So "trying out" isn't a good option.

I think that is why it's discussed, to flush out what works and what doesn't.
It's always better to have many minds working together to figure something out.
But at least i was trying to find solutions, middle ground and creative solutions and not just being negative or overly positive without backing up my support with idea's.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Signature pictures with increased pixel count clutter the forums. I have been to other forums with larger signature pictures and I don't like it. Which is why we enforce the 500x100 size constraint.

Whether you like it or not some people have slower "broadband connections" of less than 1 Mb/s and an increase of file size does slow down their page load times. Furthermore, there is the increased cost of storage and bandwidth and the money comes from W1zzard, ultimately making this his decision.

I feel like a broken record.

Be nice to each other people, I don't understand all the infantile posturing and squabbling over this subject. The guilty people know who they are. If it wasn't midnight CST I would go through and name individual names just to make sure they got it, but maybe later.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
pm me the original and i will try and get it under 19K without killing it

I'll see what I can do

Signature pictures with increased pixel count clutter the forums. I have been to other forums with larger signature pictures and I don't like it. Which is why we enforce the 500x100 size constraint.

Whether you like it or not some people have slower "broadband connections" of less than 1 Mb/s and an increase of file size does slow down their page load times. Furthermore, there is the increased cost of storage and bandwidth and the money comes from W1zzard, ultimately making this his decision.

I feel like a broken record.

Be nice to each other people, I don't understand all the infantile posturing and squabbling over this subject. The guilty people know who they are. If it wasn't midnight CST I would go through and name individual names just to make sure they got it, but maybe later.

agreed - it boils down to w1z's decision. I kinda tired of re-iterating myself here as well, I've said my piece, I've made my points, I'm now done with this thread.