• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

NordicDawn

System Name NordicDawn
Processor i7 920 (OCed)
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling Thermalright SI-128
Memory Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 3 GB
Video Card(s) nVidia 7900GTO
Storage 2x WD Raptor, 2x WD 500gb
Display(s) Samsung 2333HD (1080p)
Case Nexus
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy
Software Windows XP
It has to be something small and stupid, it always is :D

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
Please post a screenshot from Process Explorer. I want to see DPCs/Hardware Interrupts.
Thanks.

LE. Also try latest RealTemp.

NordicDawn

System Name NordicDawn
Processor i7 920 (OCed)
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling Thermalright SI-128
Memory Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 3 GB
Video Card(s) nVidia 7900GTO
Storage 2x WD Raptor, 2x WD 500gb
Display(s) Samsung 2333HD (1080p)
Case Nexus
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy
Software Windows XP
Here it is, with the latest RealTemp version:

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
Thanks man. It's obvious something weird and beyond my knowledge. I'll put Kevin to explain this. :D
All I can say is that indeed is 100% load on your CPU if you have those temps in idle.

LE: I just remembered something similar and do just one more try. Change Windows Power plan to High Performance.
I dunno if it will work for you but for same problem, my solution and Kevin's explanation.

Last edited:
System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
everytime i click reset on 3.40 it crashes and i have to restart Realtemp, anyway to fix this? im currently not home

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
RealTemp 3.58.3
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

RealTemp 3.40 has a big bug when used on systems with ATI GPUs. Hopefully the above version works OK. Try adding GPU=2 to the RealTemp.ini file if you have an ATI GPU. The new code should work on CrossFire systems too.

NordicDawn: The load meter in RealTemp reports the percent of time that your CPU is in the C0 state. Your core temperatures look high at idle so something is not letting your CPU go into the lower power saving C states. It might be a setting in the bios that needs adjustment. You can also try clicking on the C1E setting in the RealTemp Settings window to see if that makes any difference.

I once saw a similar problem in Windows 2000 where the CPU was always forced to use the C0 state so it consumed more power and never had a chance to cool down at idle.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
you know what. realtemp worked for about 2 months on my PC (had it startup with windows) then one day i noticed that it wassnt on the task bar so i checked the task manager to see if it was running. it was running so i killed the process and retarted it to see it do the same thing. now the only exe that works is realtempGT? what could make this happen all of a sudden?

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro

unclewebb

There was a problem before where RealTemp could end up with some bad co-ordinates stored in its INI settings. Changing screen modes might cause RealTemp to get lost and then never show up again. I think this issue has been fixed in the latest version so download it from the above link and see what happens.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Ok thanks unclewebb! i just tried the beta and it works good!

unclewebb

I think the disappearing RealTemp is all fixed now but if it ever happens again just delete the INI key

WindowsXY=

That stores information about where on screen RealTemp last closed so it can open up again at that location next time you start it. When that used to get screwed up, RealTemp would open up but about a mile off of your screen so you couldn't actually see it. Not too useful. :)

I wrote some new code to try to make sure that the window pops up on screen.

sparkyork

hi everyone

just been reading this thread for hours!

ive just done the idle temp test , ambient temp around case is est 24 degrees max, yet when underclocked to 1.1v and 2ghz x6 multi, im gettin the same idle temps as when im clocked to 3ghz
currently readin 50,48,47,47

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

richard

unclewebb

The 45nm Core 2 based CPUs have a big problem with sticking sensors and are not very accurate at reporting low temperatures.

Why not post a screen shot of a Cool Down Test. You can upload it to www.imageshack.us and post a link here so I can have a look.

At every step of that test the temperature should change on each core. If it doesn't, that's a good sign of a sticking sensor.

sparkyork

Hi unclewebb, I did the cool down test and will do it again and post a screen shot for you

I won't go into to much detail on settings as I'll pop these on the screen shot aswell, but I'm using a q9300

if I remember rightly the sensors all seemed to drop consistantly until they get to idle speed where they seemed to stop at around 49-51, maybe I'm just running hot or the cores don't register these lower temps?

TheSpectre

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Support

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to say that I Really Like RealTemp it is a great little program and I have been using it for quite a while on a Intel System.

However I have recently upgraded my System to the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU and the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard and when I went to run RealTemp v3.58.4 and said that "The processor detected is not supported." and I was just wondering if and when support will be added for this CPU

Thanks in Advance.

unclewebb

TheSpectre: Those new AMD X6 CPUs look great for enthusiasts without breaking the bank but unfortunately I don't have enough time to add AMD support to RealTemp. :(

sparkyork: Some 45nm Core 2 Duo/Quad sensors are not very accurate anywhere along the temperature curve. If they get stuck or read 10C or more too high at idle, that's not unusual.

TheSpectre

unclewebb: That is sad to here, there are other CPU Temperature programs out there but I definitely like RealTemp the most.

So far I am very pleased with the AMD 6 Core CPU's but I have not had the chance to mess with Overclocking it because am unsure what the "RealTemp" of the CPU is.;)

Either way I will be using my old Intel parts for a test system and I will continue to use RealTemp on it.

Thanks again for a great program.

unclewebb

Most monitoring software seems to be reporting the new X6 way too cold. This is either a very cool running CPU or more temperature games by a manufacturer. With poor documentation and questionable sensor quality, it's too much of a hassle trying to get some meaningful temperature numbers out of any CPU.

Far better to just overclock them as high as possible. No need to worry about core temperature. I've found that overclocking forces you to run a CPU cool to maintain stability so as long as you're stable then your CPU is fine.

unclewebb

sparkyork: The Cool Down Test shows that none of your sensors are sticking in your normal temperature range.

I was playing around with a T8100 mobile CPU recently and discovered something interesting. No matter what VID voltage or multiplier I used or any other setting, idle power consumption and core temperature didn't change one bit.

I ran the Windows Performance Monitor and discovered that regardless of any settings I changed, this CPU spends 99% of its idle time in the C3 sleep state or in a deeper sleep state. I believe when it is like this, all the settings I used are being 99% ignored so power consumption and therefore CPU core temperature doesn't change any at idle.

That's the only explanation I can think of for what you're seeing. Start up Performance Monitor and monitor C3% and you might see the same thing.

sparkyork

hi uncleweb, ive opened up performance monitor, where do i find c3 monitoring?

cheers

unclewebb

Click on the green + sign at the top and then it will let you choose what you want to monitor. Go to the Processor section and you should be able to monitor C3%. I have an older desktop CPU that does not go into C3 so this shows 0% but my mobile CPU averages close to 99% if nothing significant is running in the background.

sparkyork

hi unclewebb i did the above and get this, this is with throttling enabled etc and it cpuz shows the multiplier been dropped etc but to me no readings here!

are you meaning that your laptop and perhaps my computer are not resting fully at idle and hence high idle temps? mine is now set to lower mulitipliers etc but the voltage doesnt seem to drop much, im not sure if thats a contributor to my heat, gonna try maybe 1.29 vcore to see if it helps.
wonder if my cpu cooler isnt seated right? still it doesnt thorttle under prime 95 so must be within intels safety limilts, allthough stated at 74.1 degress is think? whats this number refering to ?

unclewebb

My laptop spends all of its idle time in C3 or deeper so that's why it doesn't consume too much power or run too hot at idle.

In your example above, if you click on the % C3 Time at the bottom of the screen and highlight that then it will show the current C3 results in the Last, Average, Minimum and Maximum boxes. Try monitoring C1 and C2 as well. My desktop CPU spends all of its idle time in C1.

The 74.1C number is not a core temperature so you can ignore that. Thermal throttling and CPU slow down is based on your core temperature and that doesn't happen until 100C so you have no need to worry. Your CPU is running within spec.

These temperature sensors are highly inaccurate. Don't jump to too many conclusions based on data from these sensors. Do what you can to try and get them to go lower but don't waste too much time. As long as your CPU is stable and not reaching the thermal throttling point then you can ignore its core temperature.