• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[UPDATED] Reassuringly expensive Palit GTX 1080 gloriously kicks the bucket!

System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
It would be interesting to try it in another motherboard to see if the lifting follows.:fear:
Almost like the pcb tab is skinnier or something, needing an extra move to make good contact. I assume you lifted it the same direction thus kinda scratching/grabbing a better connection

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No eidy, I don't believe you'd ever be honest. :p

There's nothing to bend, really. Unfortunately cards are only supported at one end, so when they get a bit long and heavy the sagging doesn't help. It does look like it's sitting straight though and it has a backplate.

I don't think the mobo is out of alignment and frankly I'd rather not touch it as everything works apart from this one card. It's been installed there since 2011 so it's getting on a bit and you know that phrase about if it ain't broke don't fix it, lol.

Hope it holds for you dude.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
First the serial number thing. I wouldn't read too much into that. More than likely Scan bought a batch of cards from Palit. Those cards are all going to have sequential serial numbers, say 315 through 325 for a batch of 10 cards. Since the 1080 isn't a high volume card, it is very likely that Scan is still working through the same batch of cards that your original card came from. So you just happened to get the card with the next highest serial number.

The problem with booting could be a few things. It might be the PCI-E connector on the card, but it could also be something else. It could be a bad solder joint somewhere on the card. So when it flexes when you pull the card out, or even when you push it into the computer, and the joint doesn't make a connection. Then flexing the card like you are makes the connection and the card runs fine until you pull it out and put it back in again. Yes, it is a harder thing to diagnose and get a replacement than a flat out dead card, but Scan should still replace the card. And, if it was me, I'd ask Scan for a full refund or at least a credit so you can order a different brand card.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Yea I'd probably ask for a refund or credit for a different brand as it's brand spanking new, you don't have another motherboard to test it out on do you? I know you tested your 780ti and didn't have the issue but that's not to say that it's not some weird ass issue when using your specific board and this gpu? Does a strut help? I use a Lego tower :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Thanks @newtekie1. Agreed about the serial number. I had a pet theory going that they try to match cards of approximately the same age, perhaps, or it's just an incredible coincidence; no conspiracy. I remember I had something similar with my MSI GTX 780 Ti. Bought one in Jan 2014 and another identical one 15 months or so later, a while before the 9xx series came out and those serial numbers are only something like 2 or 3 apart. I can't bear to part with them just because of that. Proper nerdy, lol.

Yes, it definitely sounds like a bad joint on the card. Of course, wiggling it once it's in (power off) doesn't cause it to fail, just to make life more interesting. :rolleyes: Only pulling the power connectors and / or removing the card and refitting it does. Note that when I pull the power connectors, I tried holding the card with my other hand to put the least stress on the PCIe connector, but it still failed. Had to do that little push up to get it going.

@NdMk2o1o I do have another mobo, sorta. It's my old socket 775 & E8500 combo. Problem is that computer isn't starting up at the moment, as it beeps on power up... Gotta troubleshoot the damn thing again. It's done it before a long time ago and I seem to remember that pulling out the power connectors and reseating them fixed it. I suspect a crack on the board or burgeoning component failure there. Mind you it's 9 years old so doesn't owe me anything lol. And it even stoicaly suffered a Vista installation for a year for me, too. :laugh: j/k it wasn't that bad. I've got a PSU tester and the PSU tests ok on it, so it's likely not that.

Agreed with both of you about getting a refund/credit note for that card. I want to try it on that old mobo first if I can to go for that double verify as it will make my case stronger.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Glad you got it back... apologies that its tempermental... that sucks.

Have you recovered from being tired days ago? Still wondering about your response to the data I provided. :)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Bullshit RMA, they probably just sent you out an unfixed card that they received from another RMA that can pass for new and working as long as it seats correct in the PCIE slot.

I had this problem with Gigabyte's RMAs.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Qubit. I'd walk away from palit/gainward at this point if the card is tempermental in your board or that other board.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, it definitely sounds like a bad joint on the card. Of course, wiggling it once it's in (power off) doesn't cause it to fail, just to make life more interesting. :rolleyes: Only pulling the power connectors and / or removing the card and refitting it does. Note that when I pull the power connectors, I tried holding the card with my other hand to put the least stress on the PCIe connector, but it still failed. Had to do that little push up to get it going.

It may even be a bad connection on the PCI-E power connector actually. So any messing with that can cause the joint to separate and flexing the card slightly makes the solder pop back into place and work again until you pull on the PCI-E power connector.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Ok, here's the wall of text you've all been waiting on tenterhooks for. :laugh:

@EarthDog and @thesmokingman thanks for your patience guys! Didn't have a chance to look at your posts until now, late into the wee hours of Saturday here in sunny Blighty. Luckily I'm in full night owl mode so can properly digest them and pay the price tomorrow for not having slept and a messed up body clock. :p

EarthDog: That's interesting, so it looks like if the GPU is fairly heavily loaded ie framerate not too high, then it doesn't make much difference. I'll be curious to have a look at this again with my games. I first noticed it when I wasn't even looking for it. When I was using the GTX 780 Ti, I was playing DX8 classic Unreal Tournament 2004 where the card / system could render anywhere from a minimum of around 250fps to around a stupidly high 800fps if looking at the floor or similar. This meant with my 144Hz monitor and vsync on (regular flavour, none of this fancy stuff NVIDIA brought out later) I would get a solid 144fps without frame drops at all for the vast majority of the time, with correspondingly jaw droppingly smooth animation. Proper nerdgasm stuff for someone like me, hehe. However, this was only true with Max Performance. Set it to Adaptive and the fps would often drop to around 90-100fps or so, which was quite visible and pretty annoying with the stutters and increased lag. I found this to be true with the 580 and 590 (with different performances due to model differences, of course. I think a 590 is roughly as fast as a 780 Ti where video memory isn't full and SLI is working well, but don't quote me lol).

I hope to get around to repeating your tests with Metro 2033's built in benchmark and perhaps another game or two and get back to you about it, since that game loads the cards quite significantly. Note that I don't have Dirt Rally, so I can't do a direct comparison. Also, I suspect that this setting will matter more for some games than others and perhaps with DX version.

I read that forum thread, which looks inconclusive to me.

thesmokingman: That video is from 2012 and I remember the AMD cards of the time had a big problem with clock switching - dealbreaking for me. I seem to remember that this was a design fault that was only finally completely cured in the next gen cards, despite a BIOS update or two to address the problem. Why am I not surprised that AMD and NVDIA are finger pointing each other? :laugh:

I don't ever remember seeing my NVIDIA cards do this or have any problems with switching clocks frequently. Perhaps my card already had a weakness there and the switching caused it to go over the edge? If true, it's certainly consistent with what I saw - died on starting a YouTube video which triggers the 3D clocks. I think 3D clocks can trigger even when set to Adaptive in some cases, which I do for desktop use.

I do love the delicious irony of an AMD user posting in the NVIDIA forum because they can't sign up on the AMD forum. If I'd had problems like that (clock glitches) with my AMD card I might think twice about getting another one, too. He doesn't say anything about RMAing that card though, as it could just be one bad card, like mine. He really should have done.

Hope that water heater install went well. :)

@Vario No, it was a brand new card in a sealed antistatic bag. I think Scan gave it to me in good faith and it's just another bad card. So far, Scan haven't done anything to make me suspect foul play and believe me, it doesn't take much to make me suspect this when it comes to warranty given some of the experiences I've had. They can only be bettered by Amazon, who will just replace kit on the customer's say-so no questions asked. Scan did ask me to do a little further checking to try it on another PC or with another PSU, not unreasonably.

@eidairaman1 I'm very much beginning to think this, with a heavy heart as the performance of this model is simply amazing, like the TPU review says. It's very fast and simply never, ever makes any significant noise, which is so important to me. I even had the framerate on this replacement hit 1700fps yesterday on some old game and I could barely hear any coil whine at all, which is simply astounding. I didn't keep it there for long, of course. I might give it one more go, "third time lucky". If that's bad too, then it will be no question of buying a different brand, likely MSI. Thing is, the coil whine on my MSI Gaming 780 Ti (both of them) was quite noticeable and annoying, ironically made worse by the quiet fans which don't mask it.

@newtekie1 Yeah, it could well be that. There's certainly a bad connection somewhere, that's for sure. :ohwell:

EVERYONE I have another update about this replacement. I got the card "working fine" this evening. In particular, it seemed to sit that little bit better/tighter in the slot and this time didn't crap out when I removed the PCIe power cables and reinserted them. Played a quick game, all stable.

Went out for the evening and put the PC into Sleep mode like I do all the time, reliably, even with my 780 Ti SLI setup previously. Came home, pressed the space bar, PC started up, that damned infernal 4 beeps from the graphics card and a locked up Windows (numlock stuck on) with no picture. Had to do the "wiggling" to get it going, where it's now worked fine for about 3.5 hours as I work on the PC.

This now convinces me without a shadow of a doubt that it's not just poor registration in the PCIe connector, but a faulty card like I thought from the start. I will therefore be definitely raising another RMA with Scan, requesting a refund this time. I doubt I'll get it as it's been three months before I reported a fault with it, but I might get a credit note, which would be acceptable. I could sit on it too (use one 780 Ti) and see if the 1080 Ti is worth buying when it comes out in March, depending on its price premium and performance.

Only thing stopping me from doing it right now after writing this post is the recovery of the cost of shipping it to them, which was significant at £26 by DHL, including £12 insurance. If I remember correctly, under the new Consumer Contracts Regulations for products sold mail order or over the internet, I'm entitled to have my shipping costs reimbursed for a faulty product. I want to be sure of my rights and quote the relevant bit of the legislation when making my request, to discourage them from trying to wriggle out of their obligations. I tried Googling for it, but couldn't find it, losing myself in a sea of confusing text, so I'd be really grateful if someone could please help me out with this and post a link to the relevant bit.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Ok, here's the wall of text you've all been waiting on tenterhooks for. :laugh:

@EarthDog and @thesmokingman thanks for your patience guys! Didn't have a chance to look at your posts until now, late into the wee hours of Saturday here in sunny Blighty. Luckily I'm in full night owl mode so can properly digest them and pay the price tomorrow for not having slept and a messed up body clock. :p

EarthDog: That's interesting, so it looks like if the GPU is fairly heavily loaded ie framerate not too high, then it doesn't make much difference. I'll be curious to have a look at this again with my games. I first noticed it when I wasn't even looking for it. When I was using the GTX 780 Ti, I was playing DX8 classic Unreal Tournament 2004 where the card / system could render anywhere from a minimum of around 250fps to around a stupidly high 800fps if looking at the floor or similar. This meant with my 144Hz monitor and vsync on (regular flavour, none of this fancy stuff NVIDIA brought out later) I would get a solid 144fps without frame drops at all for the vast majority of the time, with correspondingly jaw droppingly smooth animation. Proper nerdgasm stuff for someone like me, hehe. However, this was only true with Max Performance. Set it to Adaptive and the fps would often drop to around 90-100fps or so, which was quite visible and pretty annoying with the stutters and increased lag. I found this to be true with the 580 and 590 (with different performances due to model differences, of course. I think a 590 is roughly as fast as a 780 Ti where video memory isn't full and SLI is working well, but don't quote me lol).

I hope to get around to repeating your tests with Metro 2033's built in benchmark and perhaps another game or two and get back to you about it, since that game loads the cards quite significantly. Note that I don't have Dirt Rally, so I can't do a direct comparison. Also, I suspect that this setting will matter more for some games than others and perhaps with DX version.

I read that forum thread, which looks inconclusive to me.

thesmokingman: That video is from 2012 and I remember the AMD cards of the time had a big problem with clock switching - dealbreaking for me. I seem to remember that this was a design fault that was only finally completely cured in the next gen cards, despite a BIOS update or two to address the problem. Why am I not surprised that AMD and NVDIA are finger pointing each other? :laugh:

I don't ever remember seeing my NVIDIA cards do this or have any problems with switching clocks frequently. Perhaps my card already had a weakness there and the switching caused it to go over the edge? If true, it's certainly consistent with what I saw - died on starting a YouTube video which triggers the 3D clocks. I think 3D clocks can trigger even when set to Adaptive in some cases, which I do for desktop use.

I do love the delicious irony of an AMD user posting in the NVIDIA forum because they can't sign up on the AMD forum. If I'd had problems like that (clock glitches) with my AMD card I might think twice about getting another one, too. He doesn't say anything about RMAing that card though, as it could just be one bad card, like mine. He really should have done.

Hope that water heater install went well. :)

@Vario No, it was a brand new card in a sealed antistatic bag. I think Scan gave it to me in good faith and it's just another bad card. So far, Scan haven't done anything to make me suspect foul play and believe me, it doesn't take much to make me suspect this when it comes to warranty given some of the experiences I've had. They can only be bettered by Amazon, who will just replace kit on the customer's say-so no questions asked. Scan did ask me to do a little further checking to try it on another PC or with another PSU, not unreasonably.

@eidairaman1 I'm very much beginning to think this, with a heavy heart as the performance of this model is simply amazing, like the TPU review says. It's very fast and simply never, ever makes any significant noise, which is so important to me. I even had the framerate on this replacement hit 1700fps yesterday on some old game and I could barely hear any coil whine at all, which is simply astounding. I didn't keep it there for long, of course. I might give it one more go, "third time lucky". If that's bad too, then it will be no question of buying a different brand, likely MSI. Thing is, the coil whine on my MSI Gaming 780 Ti (both of them) was quite noticeable and annoying, ironically made worse by the quiet fans which don't mask it.

@newtekie1 Yeah, it could well be that. There's certainly a bad connection somewhere, that's for sure. :ohwell:

EVERYONE I have another update about this replacement. I got the card "working fine" this evening. In particular, it seemed to sit that little bit better/tighter in the slot and this time didn't crap out when I removed the PCIe power cables and reinserted them. Played a quick game, all stable.

Went out for the evening and put the PC into Sleep mode like I do all the time, reliably, even with my 780 Ti SLI setup previously. Came home, pressed the space bar, PC started up, that damned infernal 4 beeps from the graphics card and a locked up Windows (numlock stuck on) with no picture. Had to do the "wiggling" to get it going, where it's now worked fine for about 3.5 hours as I work on the PC.

This now convinces me without a shadow of a doubt that it's not just poor registration in the PCIe connector, but a faulty card like I thought from the start. I will therefore be definitely raising another RMA with Scan, requesting a refund this time. I doubt I'll get it as it's been three months before I reported a fault with it, but I might get a credit note, which would be acceptable. I could sit on it too (use one 780 Ti) and see if the 1080 Ti is worth buying when it comes out in March, depending on its price premium and performance.

Only thing stopping me from doing it right now after writing this post is the recovery of the cost of shipping it to them, which was significant at £26 by DHL, including £12 insurance. If I remember correctly, under the new Consumer Contracts Regulations for products sold mail order or over the internet, I'm entitled to have my shipping costs reimbursed for a faulty product. I want to be sure of my rights and quote the relevant bit of the legislation when making my request, to discourage them from trying to wriggle out of their obligations. I tried Googling for it, but couldn't find it, losing myself in a sea of confusing text, so I'd be really grateful if someone could please help me out with this and post a link to the relevant bit.
I think Palit just died for me. Wasn't going for any of their cards anyway, but now...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Never heard of palit till a few years ago. Gainward was stateside but they disappeared.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
ok, latest instalment in my faulty card saga: installed it in my mum's PC which has a Seasonic SII 500W PSU.

Installed card and it powered up just fine. Tried it a couple of times, still ok. Tried it again, hard fail. No picture and mobo gave three beeps. Interestingly I didn't get that 4 beeps (of a different tone to the usual power good beep) so I suspect they were coming from my mobo.

Tried switching on and off several times, but complete failure. This is great, because I know the card is faulty, but just needed that final confirmation. I'll try it again in my main rig to see if it's an actual hard fail or still intermittent. If a hard fail then I'm laughing as Scan can't wriggle out of it.

The hard part now is to try and find that bit of the legislation which says that the seller has to pay for the shipping back to them. I'm already £26 out of pocket and at this rate it's gonna be another £26, which is really unacceptable. I want to make my claim for the costs at the same time as I request a new RMA so the pressure's on. I had someone Google for it, but they couldn't find the legislation that says Scan is liable for shipping either, which is weird and frustrating.

Note that I disconnected all the drives in both my PC and my mum's when testing. No need to hammer them with power cycles all the time.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
ok, latest instalment in my faulty card saga: installed it in my mum's PC which has a Seasonic SII 500W PSU.

Installed card and it powered up just fine. Tried it a couple of times, still ok. Tried it again, hard fail. No picture and mobo gave three beeps. Interestingly I didn't get that 4 beeps (of a different tone to the usual power good beep) so I suspect they were coming from my mobo.

Tried switching on and off several times, but complete failure. This is great, because I know the card is faulty, but just needed that final confirmation. I'll try it again in my main rig to see if it's an actual hard fail or still intermittent. If a hard fail then I'm laughing as Scan can't wriggle out of it.

The hard part now is to try and find that bit of the legislation which says that the seller has to pay for the shipping back to them. I'm already £26 out of pocket and at this rate it's gonna be another £26, which is really unacceptable. I want to make my claim for the costs at the same time as I request a new RMA so the pressure's on. I had someone Google for it, but they couldn't find the legislation that says Scan is liable for shipping either, which is weird and frustrating.

Note that I disconnected all the drives in both my PC and my mum's when testing. No need to hammer them with power cycles all the time.

Its intermittent fail, it will hard fail eventually. Send that POS back for a refund.

You may look at Zotac, Inno3D, Colorful.

http://www.pcpartner.com/en/index.php?m=brands

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Its intermittent fail, it will hard fail eventually. Send that POS back for a refund.

You may look at Zotac, Inno3D, Colorful.

http://www.pcpartner.com/en/index.php?m=brands
Yes indeed, I'll be requesting a refund for it all right and said so in my big update in post 85. I think the card is flaky enough that Scan will be able to verify it in their testing now and I hope they'll be honest about it and not pretend that there's no fault found.

I'll most likely get a credit note though due to the time it first failed, after three months, which I'll sit on until the 1080 Ti comes out and then decide on what I want to buy and will be happy with a 3 slot card for that awesome quietness. It won't be Palit that's for sure.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yes indeed, I'll be requesting a refund for it all right and said so in my big update in post 85. I think the card is flaky enough that Scan will be able to verify it in their testing now and I hope they'll be honest about it and not pretend that there's no fault found.

I'll most likely get a credit note though due to the time it first failed, after three months, which I'll sit on until the 1080 Ti comes out and then decide on what I want to buy and will be happy with a 3 slot card for that awesome quietness. It won't be Palit that's for sure.

Seems the 780 is better than what you got lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Oh that's cruel. :laugh:

It's not cruel dude. I mean to have 2 boards come to you bad makes me not trust the manufacturer. That 780ti seems robust. This VaporX certainly is. The reason that card came to you from same batch is for warranty reasons. So they don't have to reset the warranty clock.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Get a proper brand next time, MSI, Asus, EVGA, one of the glorious three, then your risk of getting another pos gpu is considerably lowered. Zotac would be my 4th choice, I simply don't have much experience with their stuff. For cheaper brands I like Gainwards Phantom line very much.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Get a proper brand next time, MSI, Asus, EVGA, one of the glorious three, then your risk of getting another pos gpu is considerably lowered. Zotac would be my 4th choice, I simply don't have much experience with their stuff. For cheaper brands I like Gainwards Phantom line very much.

PC parnter- used to make Sapphire

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
PC parnter- used to make Sapphire
Yeah but he's probably into nvidia atm because he's into highend Gpus, that's why I didn't count sapphire into it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah but he's probably into nvidia atm because he's into highend Gpus, that's why I didn't count sapphire into it.

I mentioned Zotac for the reason of Sapphire

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Ok, finally got an update people: the tl;dr version is that I got a full refund for the card back to my credit card and still have to chase for the £26 DHL shipping cost back to them for the first card.

Now for the detailed version, I got a cold/flu a couple of weeks back which put everything on hold for a week. While I felt miserable and was off work, on the bright side I managed to veg out in front of the TV and binge watch The Blacklist. :) I did however, email Scan requesting a full refund. It turns out I'm entitled to it under the Consumer Rights law after allowing them to fix the problem once, which failed and because I initially reported the problem within 6 months.

It also turns out that I am actually entitled under the law to have free shipping back to them for faulty goods and a reimbursement for my £26 in shipping the first card back to them. I asked for this in the email and also for them to arrange collection of the second faulty card.

They email me back with a second RMA number along with a patronising reply that they can only refund £5 since that's what it costs them to ship it. They also said that they don't normally arrange collection after 28 days, but will do so in this instance as a "good will gesture". That's complete bollocks of course, because their expenses and internal processes do not override the law. I still have to chase for this.

I then sit on returning the card via DPD as per their free return procedure (pack card, print shipping label, take to collection point) due to this sickie, but eventually do so after about 10 days. I eventually get an email from Scan saying that I will be refunded the full £659.99 that the card cost me and a couple of days later it duly shows up on my credit card. Kudos to them for not trying to pretend that the card works or attempting to only give me a credit note, but I still have to get my £26 back.

A bit embarrasingly, I now do not have 660 quid sitting on my credit card, but only a small amount as I'd done a bit of spending on it which I hadn't payed off yet, sigh. This spending included the £349 PS4 Pro which I use to play online with my console friends. But heck, it's a creative way to pay it off! :laugh:

While I could just rush out and replace the card with another 1080, given how close we are to the release of the 1080 Ti this March and AMD's Vega, it will be prudent to wait 4-8 weeks before buying another card. In the meantime my 780 Ti is still capable and even with the significant limitations it has compared to the 1080. I've now updated my system specs to reflect this. I won't bother with SLI even though I still have the second one.

So, my verdict on Scan customer service as of this point is a 6/10. It would have been around a 9 if they hadn't tried to stiff me over the shipping and the fact that when I tried to assert my rights I had to email them THREE times to get a proper response (ignored the first time) and even then refused to fully address my query. At least they didn't try to pretend that the second card worked and gave me that refund without quibble, so definitely not all bad and I would buy from them again. However, I prefer Amazon if possible, who wouldn't give me any hassle at all. They weren't selling this card at the time I bought it, only from a few weeks later.