• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reflashing to original 5700 non XT bios fails with "ROM not erased ERROR/ F0L01"

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not true! For example, on Powercolor, protection is on both BIOS. None of the BIOS can be flashed again!
This is not true. I have a powercolor red devil 5700 and I have been able to flash multiple bios to the silent side. OC seems to be the flash once.

What particular powercolor model are you speaking of?

makrus27

I have same problem aswell, I can't reflash 5700 Red Dragon back to non XT, getting same "ROM not erased error" and this is something no one mentions / warns. Temps are okay, but card gets way too loud, its not worth it in my opinion.
Silent went smoothly back to reflashed state.

EraserPr0

I’m talking about this, now I'm in the XT version.
well, even after the update 20.1.4 driver the black screen stopped flying out, 1.120Mv = 1900-1950-2010mhz. I have a pretty quiet instance.

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
My Red Devil 5700 flashed to XT has no issues at all, no loud fans no black screens. Im happy, just can't flash it back to stock on the OC side...

EraserPr0

My Red Devil 5700 flashed to XT has no issues at all, no loud fans no black screens. Im happy, just can't flash it back to stock on the OC side...
I have the same thing. My Red Dragon 5700
solves the problem with black screens (Driver 20.1.4) , 1.120mv raises the frequency from 1850 to 1950, in some games 2020mhz boost (AC: Odyssey). I can ask you on average what frequency shows?

But this is a fact. the first bios is protected, and the quiet one is without it (no protect).

but they did it so that those who are flashing the BIOS lose their warranty and cannot return anything under the guarantee.

makrus27

Well, if you flash OC mode, yes you lose warranty, because of protection. You should always only flash Silent mode and this something no one mentions. Last AMD card and last flashing ever, this was bullshit.

EraserPr0

Well, if you flash OC mode, yes you lose warranty, because of protection. You should always only flash Silent mode and this something no one mentions. Last AMD card and last flashing ever, this was bullshit.
Unless you somehow flash it directly with the programmer (flashcat)

skaldic

I also have this issue with my PowerColor Red Dragon 5700 after flashing 5700XT Red Dragon on the OC bios. I can't flash the original OC 5700 back on the OC bios.
The card used to work properly with the 5700 XT bios, until the latest driver update. Now the GPU boosts up to 2050 Mhz (previously was around 1900) and the screen goes black or the game crashes.
As far as i know the 5700 PowerColor Red Dragon lacks a power phase that the 5700 XT has, maybe this is the reason.

I ended up flashing the OC 5700 bios on the silent bios. Hope someone finds a way to unlock the OC bios so i can restore my card.

I had the same problems with my graphics card.(Powercolor RX5700 -xt Red Devil )
Back Flashing bios via USB-DOS BIOS
With me it worked

Sorry for my humble english

I am not responsible

Attachments

• DOSFILES_USB.rar
    327.3 KB · Views: 1,600
Last edited:

properdavid

I flashed both bios back, no problem. You need to flash it as described above.
Can you elaborate on how you were able to flash the BIOS back with the files from STMK? Some quick steps would be very much appreciated!

Can you elaborate on how you were able to flash the BIOS back with the files from STMK? Some quick steps would be very much appreciated!

Never mind, I figured it out! For others, here's how its done:

1. Follow the guide from How-to-Geek to create a bootable DOS USB drive.
  2. Unzip the files from STMK's post and copy the "atiflash.exe" file to your USB stick. Copy your 5700 vBIOS file to the stick and rename it "5700.rom"
  3. Boot from the USB stick. You may need to adjust some legacy compatibility settings in your motherboard's BIOS to boot from the USB drive. Remember your original settings if you have to change any.
  4. At the DOS command prompt, use the command "atiflash -i" to confirm the adapter number of your GPU. The default is 0, but run the command just to confirm.
  5. Run the command "atiflash -unlockrom 0" to make sure your vBIOS is unlocked for writing.
  6. Run the command "atiflash -f -p 0 5700.rom". The vBIOS should flash and you can reboot your computer.
  7. Change any motherboard BIOS settings back if you needed to change anything in step 3.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Stop the personal attacks. If you don't share someone's view, feel free to explain the alternative. Don't resort to demeaning others.

@makrus27 - if you want a ban, be our guest. Be civil to others, disagree by all means but any disagreement stays within the bounds of polite conversation. Imagine the web wasn't the web and you were face to face, we'd all be a lot more pleasant.

I had the same problems with my graphics card.(Powercolor RX5700 -xt Red Devil )
Back Flashing bios via USB-DOS BIOS
With me it worked

Sorry for my humble english

I am not responsible

Tool comes from devil zone right? Thats why i was not able to track where those tools come from.

Unknown Name

Never mind, I figured it out! For others, here's how its done:

2. Unzip the files from STMK's post and copy the "atiflash.exe" file to your USB stick. Copy your 5700 vBIOS file to the stick and rename it "5700.rom"
  3. Boot from the USB stick. You may need to adjust some legacy compatibility settings in your motherboard's BIOS to boot from the USB drive. Remember your original settings if you have to change any.
  4. At the DOS command prompt, use the command "atiflash -i" to confirm the adapter number of your GPU. The default is 0, but run the command just to confirm.
  5. Run the command "atiflash -unlockrom 0" to make sure your vBIOS is unlocked for writing.
  6. Run the command "atiflash -f -p 0 5700.rom". The vBIOS should flash and you can reboot your computer.
  7. Change any motherboard BIOS settings back if you needed to change anything in step 3.

Great step by step list.
To run the dos usb, I also had to enable Compatibility Support Module (CSM) and disable fastboot. Don't forget to turn it back to its original settings before booting to windows again.

I still got a problem though:
When I run atiflash it gives "no adapter found" on all commands. I hope somebody can help me. I am also trying to get the stock bios back on my rx5700 oc bios side.

I hope someone can help.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Great step by step list.
To run the dos usb, I also had to enable Compatibility Support Module (CSM) and disable fastboot. Don't forget to turn it back to its original settings before booting to windows again.

I still got a problem though:
When I run atiflash it gives "no adapter found" on all commands. I hope somebody can help me. I am also trying to get the stock bios back on my rx5700 oc bios side.

I hope someone can help.

Follow the guide in this link. RX 5000 series arne't supported in the MS-DOS version of ATIFlash.

Unknown Name

Follow the guide in this link. RX 5000 series arne't supported in the MS-DOS version of ATIFlash.
This did work one time, but after trying to flash back the stock bios to the OC side of my powercolor rx5700 red dragon I got the problem that it said ROM not erased ERROR/ F0L01.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
0FL01 is a general error. Can be anything. A bad driver, broken transistor, defective GPU, faulty BIOS chip, BIOS file too big.

Unknown Name

I accidentally copied the old atiflash instead of the one from STMK, which he took from this rar from powercolor themselfs: http://driver.cptech.com.tw/Driver/RX5600XT_BIOS/RX5600_XT_0406_DOS.rar (they made it for the rx5600 series but the atiflash.exe also works for rx5700 series).

Thanks to all members for helping the community out. To people who had the same problem, you found the right thread. This will probably fix your problem with the locked powercolor OC_Side bios.

Slightly edited and updated quote from ProperDavid for the steps:
For others, here's how its done:
  2. Unrar(unpack/open) the files from the powercolor download link (thanks to STMK for finding) and copy the "atiflash.exe" file to your USB stick. Copy your 5700 vBIOS file to the stick and rename it "5700.rom"
  3. Boot from the USB stick. You may need to adjust some legacy compatibility settings in your motherboard's BIOS to boot from the USB drive. In my case: enable CSM (compatability support module) and disable fastboot. Remember your original settings if you have to change any.

Last edited:

piskeante

Hello!!

Yesterday a received an RX 5700 Red Dragon. It had been "returned" to the dealer so i got a very good price. It worked just fine. I wanted to flash the bios and edit timings to mine ETH with it. I can confirm that the LEFT bios (the closest to HDMI and DP ports) is locked. I cannot flash any bios there. I got it that way. It seems to be a normal 5700 bios.

Now, with the switch to the right, i can flash whatever BIOS i want. I've flashed the red dragon 5700xt bios ( the 170W and the 190W) without issues. I have also flashed all the 3 versions you have at techpowerup bios collection. No issues there.

But the moment i try to edit the timings using RBE of ANY BIOS (any of the 5 mentioned + using my own saved bios using GPU-z) ,you save the modded bios and try to flash it, it tells me that the RSA signature has not passed and the process stops with an error.

anyone has an idea of what can i do to actually be able to flash a modded bios??Thanks in advance.

Calathia

Hi all!

I have MSI 5700 which I flashed to XT + did some other BIOS mods. After a while, I ran with bios flashing problems described here. Did try everything and eventually solved the problem. See, what hasn't been suggested here is that the actual GPU drivers in Win 10 may interfere with bios flashing procedure. See image below:

Screenshot 2020-10-07 101504.png

What solved these bios flashing problems completely was to simply boot windows in "safemode + command line" and do the bios modding. in safe mode, windows does not load amd drivers for gpu and thus, no problems with flashing. :)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Hi all!

I have MSI 5700 which I flashed to XT + did some other BIOS mods. After a while, I ran with bios flashing problems described here. Did try everything and eventually solved the problem. See, what hasn't been suggested here is that the actual GPU drivers in Win 10 may interfere with bios flashing procedure. See image below:

View attachment 171113

What solved these bios flashing problems completely was to simply boot windows in "safemode + command line" and do the bios modding. in safe mode, windows does not load amd drivers for gpu and thus, no problems with flashing. :)
@eidairaman1

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
@Henselt33 How I did: Identical steps but for red devil version. Added my variation with bold :)
I have flashed a 5700XT Red Devil bios on the default/performance bios position of a 5700 (NON XT) Red Devil via admin CMD per 'amdvbflash -f -p 0 bios.rom'. This 5700XT bios works fine and as intended, so its not garbage or anything. But, now i am trying to go back to stock but i completely fail with the same CMD operation to flash any other NON XT Red Devil bios, including both the default/performance and the silent bios backups i have made via GPU-Z and amdvbflashwin and the red devil xt silent bios.

When re-flashing it fails on erasing. I have only tried with DDU and installing new drivers.
Instead of doing that why don't you adjust the card's behaviour using Radeon?

Instead of doing that why don't you adjust the card's behaviour using Radeon?
Forget I said anything lol

Unknown Name

I accidentally copied the old atiflash instead of the one from STMK, which he took from this rar from powercolor themselfs: http://driver.cptech.com.tw/Driver/RX5600XT_BIOS/RX5600_XT_0406_DOS.rar (they made it for the rx5600 series but the atiflash.exe also works for rx5700 series).

Thanks to all members for helping the community out. To people who had the same problem, you found the right thread. This will probably fix your problem with the locked powercolor OC_Side bios.

Slightly edited and updated quote from ProperDavid for the steps:

The download link for the rar containing the dos atiflash.exe broke. Here is a updated link: https://powerdriver.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/RX5600XT_BIOS/RX5600_XT_RedDragon_0304_DOS.rar
If it gets broken again in the future go to powercolors website and go to Home -> Download -> Drivers -> RX 5600 SERIES and grab one of the rars containing the dos atiflash.exe.

Steps to follow again:
  2. Unrar(unpack/open) the files from the powercolor download link (see comment above if it broke)(thanks to STMK for finding) and copy the "atiflash.exe" file to your USB stick. Copy your 5700 vBIOS file to the stick and rename it "5700.rom"
  3. Boot from the USB stick. You may need to adjust some legacy compatibility settings in your motherboard's BIOS to boot from the USB drive. In my case: enable CSM (compatability support module) and disable fastboot. Remember your original settings if you have to change any.
Thanks to and largely quoted from: ProperDavid & STMK and the other people participation in this thread.

Last edited: