• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Researchers are testing concrete that could charge your EV while you drive

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I only see electric transport working efficiently in cities and for mass transit, and only if we can get ourselves ready for better nuclear base load with solar and wind supplementing where they are feasible.

Are they more "green" or better? No, for a plethora of reasons.
#1 They have to be manufactured, which creates more emissions than they will save VS just driving what we already have and use that is efficient.
#2 Not all electricity comes from Nuclear which is the "greenest" source.
#3 Increased grid load means more installations of dumb things like natural gas turbines to cover up the peak demand periods.
#4 Battery energy density is still piss poor compared to liquid fuels.
#5 Battery replacements are a joke
#6 Moving pollution to countries without regulations is just throwing our shit in a neighbors yard.
#7 Carbon credits are what make Tesla go, not electric vehicles. Same for every other electric vehicle manufactured.
#8 Installing infrastructure has to count against their footprint.
#9 Wait until the more ignorant masses get EVs and we will see how much safety and maintenance needs improved.

When we can solve 5 of these electric vehicles will be the better choice for the masses.

I'd agree that today it isn't a one-size fits all at all, but it is still trending towards mass adoption. Urban is 75+% of the population for NA, EU, AUS, NZ, Japan.

#1 Agreed, buying a new car will create more emissions, assuming the car you own isn't a gas guzzler. Still, throughout its lifetime the EV will create a lot less emissions. My BMW i3S' chassis is made from carbon-fiber, and the energy to make it was hydropower in Washington State. They gone so far as to use recycled materials for almost everything, Eucalyptus wood as it's a more "green" and renewable wood, leather dyed with olive leaf oil or something like that, they used as little amount of material as possible to shave a few ounces here and there etc. They also designed it to be somewhat modular so they could keep the same chassis and be able to easily swap to higher density batteries

#2 Hydro, Solar & Wind are going to be miles better than NG and Coal. Cost of switching to Renewables is plummeting, even cheaper than traditional methods, and much of the world is transitioning to them. This means that your EV will get better environmentally over time, vs a gas vehicle getting worse

#3 New grid energy is mostly renewables, using mostly renewables with a few NG plants to cover variation is going to be way better than the old ways still. Don't forget that the majority of the charging will be done during off-peak, especially if there is peak vs off-peak rates. Hopefully one day batteries will be cheap enough to take over NG plants

#4 Does it matter? I know that in the US there's a bigger driving/roadtrip culture, but that also means that the average American family tends to have more than 1 car and having a garage or driveway. If you have a house, having the commuter car be electric or Plug-in Hybrid makes a ton of sense in that situation.

#5 Why would you need to replace the battery? They all have 8-10 year warranties and it's not like they stop working, you'll just have lower range, maybe 20% less after 8-10 years? Plus old car batteries can be reused for other purposes where energy density/weight is not a factor

#6 I mean, it's not like we produce the materials for gas cars in-house and in a green way... Building EVs doesn't have to mean moving moving pollution. Many cars are made in SK, Japan, China... If anything, EVs being targeted towards the environmentally-conscious will be more inclined to limit the emissions to produce the vehicle.

#7 Isn't oil/gas heavily subsidized and more and more supplied by fracking operations?

#8 The beauty of an EV is that for many people, the infrastructure is right there, in your home. I'm sure the infrastructure for maintaining this level of oil production is huge, oil spills, refineries, trucking and trains to move it to where you need it, an ungodly amount of gas stations, many of which are open 24/7. There has to be a footprint, but idk if you can call it more than just keeping the status-quo

#9 The ignorant already tinker inside their gas vehicles, it's going to be much safer for an EV, all you need to deal with is pulling on the High Voltage disconnect.

On the topic of electric outages, your average EV with 250 miles of range will already be topped up if you charge at home, I'm sure you can manage to get to a charging station. Is the US really that bad for outages?! It felt like the Texas debacle was an issue of lax regulations. Here in QC 99% of our electricity is made from Hydro power (we even call our electric bill the hydro bill), and the grid is very reliable even in rural areas. In winter, if there were outages for a week, thousands would die, most of our heating is electric.

Sorry if I'm annoying, I love discussing the topic of pros and cons of EVs lol, you can tell me to shut up :p

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yep battery tollroad and the battery car.. owners can pay for it all win-win

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
"Studies have shown that in the US, Europe, and in China, producing an electric vehicle creates more greenhouse-gas emissions than producing an equivalent gas-powered vehicle."

which is quite different from your claim

"They have to be manufactured, which creates more emissions than they will save VS just driving what we already have and use that is efficient."

I think the issue is that in the short term, certainly the first few years of the car's life, keeping a 5-year old car would generate a lot less emissions than buying an EV, perhaps with the exception of something like the i3 that is purposefully built as green. There's still a lot to a car than just its engine, using new materials, transporting the car to you etc makes a lot of emissions all over the world.

Long term the EV wins out. Arguably, it is very important to keep emissions low today considering there is a world effort to lower emissions for the future

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I think the world needs to stop thinking short term and start thinking long term.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
#9 The ignorant already tinker inside their gas vehicles, it's going to be much safer for an EV, all you need to deal with is pulling on the High Voltage disconnect.
I hope the part about "Ignorant" wasn't meant to be insulting towards anyone.
Also, pulling the disconnect alone doesn't make it completely safe.
On the topic of electric outages, your average EV with 250 miles of range will already be topped up if you charge at home, I'm sure you can manage to get to a charging station. Is the US really that bad for outages?! It felt like the Texas debacle was an issue of lax regulations. Here in QC 99% of our electricity is made from Hydro power (we even call our electric bill the hydro bill), and the grid is very reliable even in rural areas. In winter, if there were outages for a week, thousands would die, most of our heating is electric.

Sorry if I'm annoying, I love discussing the topic of pros and cons of EVs lol, you can tell me to shut up :p
Speaking of charging stations after a storm, do you honestly think you'd be the only one with that idea out of everyone around you?
Really?
You think lines at the pump are bad - Only take a couple of minutes per vehicle for it to top off and move on, just imagine how long that wait would be with an average wait of 1 hour per vehicle in line..... Even 30 minutes per vehicle would be beyond insane and would be compounded if the power supply to that area is limited. If a charging area doesn't have all it's little stations in working order or with power to charge, you should have brought a tent to camp out with too because you ain't going anywhere, anytime soon.

BTW the state of things where you are does not apply everywhere else.
A storm like a hurricane can knock out these stations, the little concrete things and all else that's in it's path.
If you've ever been in a hurricane before you'd know.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I'd agree that today it isn't a one-size fits all at all, but it is still trending towards mass adoption. Urban is 75+% of the population for NA, EU, AUS, NZ, Japan.

#1 Agreed, buying a new car will create more emissions, assuming the car you own isn't a gas guzzler. Still, throughout its lifetime the EV will create a lot less emissions. My BMW i3S' chassis is made from carbon-fiber, and the energy to make it was hydropower in Washington State. They gone so far as to use recycled materials for almost everything, Eucalyptus wood as it's a more "green" and renewable wood, leather dyed with olive leaf oil or something like that, they used as little amount of material as possible to shave a few ounces here and there etc. They also designed it to be somewhat modular so they could keep the same chassis and be able to easily swap to higher density batteries

#2 Hydro, Solar & Wind are going to be miles better than NG and Coal. Cost of switching to Renewables is plummeting, even cheaper than traditional methods, and much of the world is transitioning to them. This means that your EV will get better environmentally over time, vs a gas vehicle getting worse

#3 New grid energy is mostly renewables, using mostly renewables with a few NG plants to cover variation is going to be way better than the old ways still. Don't forget that the majority of the charging will be done during off-peak, especially if there is peak vs off-peak rates. Hopefully one day batteries will be cheap enough to take over NG plants

#4 Does it matter? I know that in the US there's a bigger driving/roadtrip culture, but that also means that the average American family tends to have more than 1 car and having a garage or driveway. If you have a house, having the commuter car be electric or Plug-in Hybrid makes a ton of sense in that situation.

#5 Why would you need to replace the battery? They all have 8-10 year warranties and it's not like they stop working, you'll just have lower range, maybe 20% less after 8-10 years? Plus old car batteries can be reused for other purposes where energy density/weight is not a factor

#6 I mean, it's not like we produce the materials for gas cars in-house and in a green way... Building EVs doesn't have to mean moving moving pollution. Many cars are made in SK, Japan, China... If anything, EVs being targeted towards the environmentally-conscious will be more inclined to limit the emissions to produce the vehicle.

#7 Isn't oil/gas heavily subsidized and more and more supplied by fracking operations?

#8 The beauty of an EV is that for many people, the infrastructure is right there, in your home. I'm sure the infrastructure for maintaining this level of oil production is huge, oil spills, refineries, trucking and trains to move it to where you need it, an ungodly amount of gas stations, many of which are open 24/7. There has to be a footprint, but idk if you can call it more than just keeping the status-quo

I am all about discussions.

There is already way too much biased BS out there, for example, the "subsidies" that are counted in one study are listed as normal tax write offs that every business uses as the cost of doing business. I haven't found a clear report on oil/coal specific subsidies other than ones explicitly designed to reduce the carbon footprint. Do I mind $3-4 per gallon fuel? Not really, I have a company vehicle and our cars are 30+MPG vehicles.

As far as the safetly of EV the batteries are and will remain the weakest point, the next is the grid and irresponsible ignorant politicians killing nuclear when it truly is the only viable answer to most of our issues. Reliable power is a requirement in our age, it also has to be affordable. Our house is geothermal heat pump heated and cooled in Montana and we are spending 140K on upgrades to make it more energy efficient (and prettier) and so we can collect the rain water for use in the fire season (110F the other day here and dry as a popcorn fart). When its -40F here I really don't want to have to go buy electric heaters and a generator to prevent our home from freezing, or when its 100+F I don't want to have to run a generator to keep the fridge, freezer, and some fans running and a solar array to run the split phase pumps and system costs more than the utilities for 12+ years of use. Its still way more efficient to install a few smaller nuclear plants at existing coal stations that are being phased out and it keeps the jobs and local economies alive. When we reach that milestone EV's (especially short distance smaller batteries) will become more achievable. Hell with a surplus of electricity we could start pumping carbon out of the atmosphere with the excess energy.

System Name Homelabs
I am all about discussions.

There is already way too much biased BS out there, for example, the "subsidies" that are counted in one study are listed as normal tax write offs that every business uses as the cost of doing business. I haven't found a clear report on oil/coal specific subsidies other than ones explicitly designed to reduce the carbon footprint. Do I mind $3-4 per gallon fuel? Not really, I have a company vehicle and our cars are 30+MPG vehicles.

As far as the safetly of EV the batteries are and will remain the weakest point, the next is the grid and irresponsible ignorant politicians killing nuclear when it truly is the only viable answer to most of our issues. Reliable power is a requirement in our age, it also has to be affordable. Our house is geothermal heat pump heated and cooled in Montana and we are spending 140K on upgrades to make it more energy efficient (and prettier) and so we can collect the rain water for use in the fire season (110F the other day here and dry as a popcorn fart). When its -40F here I really don't want to have to go buy electric heaters and a generator to prevent our home from freezing, or when its 100+F I don't want to have to run a generator to keep the fridge, freezer, and some fans running and a solar array to run the split phase pumps and system costs more than the utilities for 12+ years of use. Its still way more efficient to install a few smaller nuclear plants at existing coal stations that are being phased out and it keeps the jobs and local economies alive. When we reach that milestone EV's (especially short distance smaller batteries) will become more achievable. Hell with a surplus of electricity we could start pumping carbon out of the atmosphere with the excess energy.

We installed Geothermal at my parents house! It must have cost 10K more than a normal heat pump, but holy crap is it efficient. In 5 years we saved something like 5-10k compared to a normal heat pump, but Montreal's weather is favorable for savings with geo. Also did a huge reno to insulate and whatnot, Heating and cooling went from 6000$/yr to 1200$/yr. This month our Geothermal system went kaput, they used something called the DX system which uses copper pipes and refrigerant, but apparently the system is flawed because the ground doesn't conduct the heat away fast enough which leads to the lines freezing and it creates enough pressure to rupture the copper :shadedshu:

In Quebec we actually have surplus, we make a bunch of money selling it to NY, even if it is only at 2-3 cents per KWh. After taxes and fees, we pay 7c per KWh (5.6 cents USD) for residential and it's the same price all over the province, even to remote areas. After the first 1200KWh per month, I think they add 2 cents. If you use Natural Gas or another form of non-electric heating on days under -12C then you get around 30% off. We have a robust reliable grid, 5 years ago around 10 000 people in our province didn't have electricity for 48 hours and it was a huge deal. Hydro Quebec does about 3 billion Canadian dollars in profit every year.

All that to say that I definitely have a bias towards electric and we have it good here, so perhaps I don't understand certain issues. I did live in NJ and South Carolina and France for 4 years each but that's the limit of my experiences

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You never know - Or maybe sterility with such prolonged exposure to strong magnetic fields?

Go ahead and take the chance if you want, I have no personal plans for doing that myself.
You fear the unknown. I like new tech until I am told a rational reason to fear it. "It's new" and "you never know" isn't one.

Cows cause cancer. I mean, you never know?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
You fear the unknown. I like new tech until I am told a rational reason to fear it. "It's new" and "you never know" isn't one.

Cows cause cancer. I mean, you never know?
I'd prefer for it to remain an unknown, lest all doubt be removed along with whatever it's damaged.

I could see these concrete things eventually being found to have such an effect on a few.

And speaking of the cows causing cancer, ask any cancer researcher and they'll tell you it ALL causes cancer, just in different amounts and different things to different folks in different situations.
Hotdog? Yes.
Watermelon? Yes.
That cheap suntan lotion you used? Yes.
FruitLoops? Yes.
Pron? Yes.
And the list goes on.... because it can cause cancer too. :D

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
This sounds like a waste of taxpayers money...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I'd prefer for it to remain an unknown, lest all doubt be removed along with whatever it's damaged.

Sometimes I wonder if this is really a tech forum... I mean with that attitude there is little hope of advance.

And speaking of the cows causing cancer, ask any cancer researcher and they'll tell you it ALL causes cancer, just in different amounts and different things to different folks in different situations.
Good, you caught the irony.

Pron? Yes.
I hate to admit I know this but actually the correllation between prostate cancer and porn intake is negative.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
It's a preference, not an absolute.
I'd rather not monkey around with strong magnetic fields from these concrete squares, blocks or whatever they are.
Doesn't help in my case (For real) I've got an implant that can't be around strong magnetic fields or it may malfunction which could be bad. I have to stay away from welding arcs, generators and the like and that was the big reason I no longer do what I was doing for a living.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'd rather not monkey around with strong magnetic fields from these concrete squares, blocks or whatever they are.
Doesn't help in my case (For real) I've got an implant that can't be around strong magnetic fields or it may malfunction which could be bad. I have to stay away from welding arcs, generators and the like and that was the big reason I no longer do what I was doing for a living.
Good point.
I'm scheduled to get mine in around 4 weeks and was warned about MRI machines, but you made me question other magnetic fields, even electric motors in EV's are based on magnetic fields.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
That's fair.

I have a Titanium plate in my arm. Not a good conductor I guess, no fun radio stations yet. :(

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
That's fair.

I have a Titanium plate in my arm. Not a good conductor I guess, no fun radio stations yet. :(

You ain't holding it right........ :D

I know one thing, this ever goes off (Difibulator) I'll know it.

I hate to admit I know this but actually the correllation between prostate cancer and porn intake is negative

Depends on the "Method" of intake.... and I've NO plans of testing that theory.

Good point.
I'm scheduled to get mine in around 4 weeks and was warned about MRI machines, but you made me question other magnetic fields, even electric motors in EV's are based on magnetic fields.
Yep - Depending on the one you get that could be the same state I'm in except nowadays these are way more compatable, I've even heard you can have an MRI done after it's implanted.
Mine is too old for all that, maybe I'll get an upgrade come new battery time.

Be sure to know what you have by model and such, then do the research like I had to about it all.
I have to stay away from generators, at least 20 ft from a welder's arc and other fun stuff.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Depends on the "Method" of intake.... and I've NO plans of testing that theory.
Well yeah. It's all online nowadays though. I guess it's probably carcengenic if you find an old VHS and eat it, but you are just doing us all a favor at that point. Call it recycling.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Well yeah. It's all online nowadays though. I guess it's probably carcengenic if you find an old VHS and eat it, but you are just doing us all a favor at that point. Call it recycling.
There are some things you should never try to save, just let it go.....

Speaking of that I'm wondering after these squares are finally retired for whatever reason if they could be recycled too.
I know the stuff inside that makes them work should be reuseable I'd think.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
We installed Geothermal at my parents house! It must have cost 10K more than a normal heat pump, but holy crap is it efficient. In 5 years we saved something like 5-10k compared to a normal heat pump, but Montreal's weather is favorable for savings with geo. Also did a huge reno to insulate and whatnot, Heating and cooling went from 6000$/yr to 1200$/yr. This month our Geothermal system went kaput, they used something called the DX system which uses copper pipes and refrigerant, but apparently the system is flawed because the ground doesn't conduct the heat away fast enough which leads to the lines freezing and it creates enough pressure to rupture the copper :shadedshu:

In Quebec we actually have surplus, we make a bunch of money selling it to NY, even if it is only at 2-3 cents per KWh. After taxes and fees, we pay 7c per KWh (5.6 cents USD) for residential and it's the same price all over the province, even to remote areas. After the first 1200KWh per month, I think they add 2 cents. If you use Natural Gas or another form of non-electric heating on days under -12C then you get around 30% off. We have a robust reliable grid, 5 years ago around 10 000 people in our province didn't have electricity for 48 hours and it was a huge deal. Hydro Quebec does about 3 billion Canadian dollars in profit every year.

All that to say that I definitely have a bias towards electric and we have it good here, so perhaps I don't understand certain issues. I did live in NJ and South Carolina and France for 4 years each but that's the limit of my experiences
Mine is 1500ish feet of heavy poly piping, it was installed in the late 90’s and has had the scroll compressor replaced and I replaced the circulator pumps due to a leak and added more methanol to the ground loop as during the coldest it was forming ice that resulted in the death of a pump.
It will keep 4000Sqft 68F when it’s 109 outside on the main floor, and we usually let it dip to 61F at night and stay 66F on the main floor (58F in my office). For $280 a month in electric bills. The house we rented cost that much and could never stay as cool.

The winter our bill has been 600+ as it still has single pane huge windows everywhere and the boost heat (10Kw grid heat) runs when it’s below -10F unless we want to keep fires going in the fireplaces. New Pella premium windows should help drop that, plus wrapping with tyvek and dark roof and siding.

When I get time this winter I am going to install more Thermocouples and let the computer decide when to run things like boost heat and the hot water charge pump so we can move to a on demand tankless heater but allow the geothermal to still preheat water and then use that during the cold of night to balance out ground loop temps.

Magnetized cement promises reasonably priced, high efficiency wireless charging.

View attachment 209916

Roads that can charge electric cars or buses while you drive aren't a new concept, but so far the technology has been relatively expensive and inefficient.
However, Indiana's Department of Transport (INDOT) has announced that it's testing a new type of cement with embedded magnetized particles that could one day provide efficient,
high-speed charging at "standard roadbuilding costs," Autoblog has reported.
View attachment 209915

With funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF), INDOT has teamed with Purdue University and German company Magment on the project.
They'll carry out the research in three phases, first testing if the magnetized cement (called "magment," naturally) will work in the lab, then trying it out on a quarter-mile section of road.

In a brochure, Magment said its product delivers "record-breaking wireless transmission efficiency [at] up to 95 percent,"
adding that it can be built at "standard road-building installation costs" and that it's "robust and vandalism-proof."
The company also notes that slabs with the embedded ferrite particles could be built locally, presumably under license.

The final phase sounds ambitious, with INDOT saying it would "test the innovative concrete’s capacity to charge heavy trucks operation at high power (200 kilowatts and above)."
If the final quarter-mile test track is a success, INDOT will use the tech to electrify an undermined segment of public interstate in Indiana.

Powering heavy trucks directly from the road without any pollution at an affordable price would be an environmental breakthrough, but there's still a lot of work to do to prove it works.
Plenty of other similar efforts are underway, as the UK has committed around $780 million for under-road charging research, for example.
Sweden has also tested slot-car like technology that would contain an electrified "rail" embedded into roads. This latest efforts sounds far less complicated, provided it lives up to Magment's claims.

Interesting, however I think it will take many years till most people drive an electric car in the first place, they could start using this technology already for any new roads IMO.
I'm not seeing anything concrete coming out of this... at least not anytime soon. Besides, it still takes a lot longer to recharge with electricity than it does to pump fuel into a tank.

System Name Homelabs
I'm not seeing anything concrete coming out of this... at least not anytime soon. Besides, it still takes a lot longer to recharge with electricity than it does to pump fuel into a tank.
That isn't, and never will be, the goal of EVs. With an EV, you have a full tank everyday, and you don't have to gas it up, your gas station is your home. For now this is limited to people who can charge at their house, their work, or in an appt or condo parking where it is possible to have a plug. These limitations will have solutions in-time.

The only point of having really fast charging is either as a backup, or for long roadtrips where you'll have to stop anyways for coffee/bathroom/stretch. It's not like a gas station where you have to be near the car, you just park, plug it, and go to the restroom or wtv.

I'm going to to do some maths for myself to see how much of a hassle charging is during a roadtrip. Something like the Ioniq 5 will gain about 68 miles in 5 minutes (~25%) which is roughly the time to fill up a gas car; for 188 miles it's 18 minutes (~70%). With a range of 269 miles, you might do 230 miles, assuming 69 mph average (nice), your first stop is at the earliest is 3h20m later. Your second stop would be about 2h40 later at least. So in a 9.5-11 hour 600 mile roadtrip, you have to stop twice. You can go from Nice, France, through Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia to get to Bosnia. You gotta pee once every 3 countries, kinda sounds doable, actually you probably should give yourself a break at least those two times if you want to drive responsibly

EVs are going to take over the world whether you like it or not. "Battery vehicles" are better solution for a car than gas vehicles even if you disregard the environment benefits, better acceleration, can preheat/cool even in an enclosed space, so much cheaper to run and so much cheaper to maintain, brakes last forever. Don't need to go to a gas station your car is just always full, or if not, then a 15-30 minute charging session at a fast charger or a 3 hours at a slow charger once a week would work, and many businesses offer free charging as an incentive for you to come (and spend more time in their store). Any other vehicle will be better as a plug-in hybrid than just a gas car. Even if you have nowhere to plug, plug-ins will still be more efficient than standard hybrids considering the battery size, and you get the benefit of having extra torque and horsepower; see the RAV4 Prime. Pretty sure fuel exhaust is more cancerous. I feel like Hydrogen would be a good compromise eventually, and much better for trucks, planes and the like.

No, governments like to take money, they will tax EVs yearly through registration and have the users pay for it. EVs are getting more affordable, you could get a 2012 i-Miev for 3K. I'd argue that EVs are cheap when you look at it mid to long term, fuel savings and low maintenance. In urban areas, where most people live, and where you drive at slower speeds and break a lot, EVs are crazy efficient.

Also remember that most countries are investing to lower their emissions, having people go electric is probably somewhat efficient, especially compare to carbon-capture obviously. This sounds like induction charging for sure, I highly doubt this will make sense anytime soon, unless new cars will have the hardware built-in and it becomes universal, I don't see how owners will invest in hardware to be compatible on top of paying electric rates that are likely much higher than what they pay at home, where there car gets charged, usually at lower rates during the night.

I guess I could see this work for big cities with a lot of public transit, in bus lanes and bus stops, the transition to 100% electric buses is accelerating
"brakes last forever", yeah right. Don't electric vehicles end up having MORE mass than today's internal combustion vehicles? What do you think stops those vehicles? Leprechauns?

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Ugh no shit? But ugh some of you can keep being the petrol heads while states and countries are doing full switchovers. In some countries all vehicles will be forced to be emissions free by 2050 like the UK from what I last read. And let's not even bother mentioning California lol. Personally I'm going to restore my old Porsche Turbo and drive the shit out of it before it gets outlawed. Enjoy petrol while it lasts lol.

System Name Homelabs
"brakes last forever", yeah right. Don't electric vehicles end up having MORE mass than today's internal combustion vehicles? What do you think stops those vehicles? Leprechauns?
I have to remember to use the brakes, especially after rain... Almost all my braking is done through regenerative braking AKA the electric motor runs backwards and stores the energy in the battery. From your understanding of EVs, might as well be leprechauns. https://thebrakereport.com/bmw-i3-goes-277000-km-on-original-brakes/

I have to remember to use the brakes, especially after rain... Almost all my braking is done through regenerative braking AKA the electric motor runs backwards and stores the energy in the battery. From your understanding of EVs, might as well be leprechauns. https://thebrakereport.com/bmw-i3-goes-277000-km-on-original-brakes/
Wow a sample size of one, how convincing, reported by one guy and not even verified. I call shens. 3300 lbs going 70 mph. isn't going to be stopped by regenerative braking. Let's see you get away with not using brakes in stop-and-go traffic.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I still think rewarding and focusing on EV only is a mistake policy wise, we should have had more tax deductions for hybrids too not just EV centric... there are hybrid cars now (Hyundai Ioniq) that get 60 mpg... I mean... sorry but that is awesome progress... if they had more focus and RnD funding as EV gets we might be up to 70 mpg by now though I admit that's probably its limits... still... that's damn impressive even the 60.