• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sudden "shadow acne" on modern hardware

System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Update: rails going bananas and attempted solutions added to the OP.

I don't think it is the card in and of its self as I think the OP stated he tried the offending card in a different PC and there was no issue.

Just reread OP posts and actually trying the card in a different PC was never mentioned but I would recommend doing so if it is possible???
I've been in the process of persuading a friend to let me install the offending GPU in his rig. It's a little tricky for us to get together as we're usually very busy but we'll try to do it sometime this weekend.

I must add that I really appreciate your efforts to validate and address the issue as well as other members', including @FYFI13 and @Vya Domus

Look man, (yes, I'm back) I've given you a very informative response on the end of page 1 with several suggestions and most of all, means to *exclude* things on the list of possible causes, which is always helpful to narrow down to the real cause and actually fix something. I didn't even read this particular comment of yours earlier... but have you noticed how ever since I was gone, other members have ALSO pushed you towards trying to update things and actually guide us through what you've tried and what it does?

You may not like my tone of voice, but I'm not talking out of my ass here.
Your tone on that message remained neglecting and its contents as predictably redundant as your explanation about actual problem solving on your last post - as if it were remotely necessary.

As far as real fixes are concerned, you didn't really suggest any NVCP settings for instance, you just elaborated on their mere existence in a condescending way.

By "I would love to see your NVCP settings" you didn't ironically mean "omg you may barely know what NVCP settings are and/or yours must be a mess, next I'm being silly enough as to explain how NVCP works", did you? Because that's how it went.

You hadn't come up with anything that wasn't common sense to the very OP and certainly hadn't led me to trying anything different or anything at all for that matter, let alone "PUSHED" me into that.

"Pushing" doesn't work for me by the way, which you can't seem to notice but it sure isn't your most relevant perception flaw in the context of this thread, unlike dismissing artifacts as normal rendering issues.

Perhaps you have actually helped out other people, who knows, but your main take on this thread didn't acknowledge its mandatory particularities and ended up aiming the clueless - however relevant it may be to an "education of sorts" for random lurkers, it's not what I'm looking for, sorry.

Fortunately, I can't see that grand influence of yours over the actually aiding members as they sound quite the opposite.

In short, you didn't "ALSO push" me into action. As a matter of fact, you only offered me a potential piece of advice after having updated your very last post.

So nope, I haven't noticed how things started to flow ever since you were gone (not that it doesn't sound lulzy), it's just that some of the other members' suggestions demand more time, availability and logistics planning from myself and my friends in order to be carried out.

Although concise, the last post on page #1 turned out to be more informative/"an education of sorts" than the one you pointed out.

At the same time, your tone of voice is also one that alludes to the reason you've not solved the issue yet: you gotta get a bit more open minded towards the suggestions offered.
All suggestions were welcomed from the very beginning and I'm still open to them. They've been (and some will be) carried out as soon as possible.

I even tested my build on regular monitors in spite of the fact that my PC absolutely always worked just great along with my TV prior to the issues - still does with my HD 7990.

As you can see, I'm acid trip open-minded.

Regardless, you know, overly recurring suggestions already accepted plus obvious statements/criticism due to thread info neglect get tiring sometimes.

And am I really a guru now? I feel flattered man, all I try to do is make sense. All I said was, that these issues are not new in gaming, can be card/game/API specific, and this sentiment is echoed throughout this thread.
Don't hide behind your otherwise wondrous words, humble Guru3D.com.

Nice to know that you're being echoed like you deserve... Except you're not. People aren't that uneducated, they can think for themselves with the info provided.

I wish it weren't necessary to put it this way, but your first message is a poor overview of the OP main link. In other words, although it seemed to pass for really pertinent, that post had nothing new or even somewhat unknown to offer to this thread in particular from the very start.

You made "great" sense when you tried to dismiss my thread right away as if I perceived regular rendering issues as aberrations.

One perhaps useful thing to add: if your card was working fine in the same games before, and still works fine in several games today that you've now also narrowed down to OpenGL titles, then your card hasn't suddenly died, it is the *least* likely issue. Save yourself the shipping cost, and look at software - or SOMETIMES - just give it some time, like a month, update your stuff again and watch magic happen as a bug has been fixed.

As for DirectX, you can try manually installing it but as far as I know, this is also part of Windows 10 upgrades and thus is already entirely up to date.
Even EVGA OC Scanner returned no errors at all as already mentioned a couple of times. Yep, my card is not dead.

If my GPU happens to work properly on my friend's PC, I'll follow your suggestion, otherwise I'll RMA the thing to rule it out. It may be almost as silly as trying a different monitor, but I can't stand these issues anymore so I'm taking serious action.

As nobody else could replicate the errors, chances are that the GPU itself could be faulty though.

Only DX<12 can be reinstalled in W10 as mentioned but it didn't solve the issues, unfortunately.

I appreciate your edit despite our past divergences.

Last edited:
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
It would really stink if it is a faulty card after all the hoops n stuff.

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
It would really stink if it is a faulty card after all the hoops n stuff
No worse than if he RMA's it and new the gpu does the same exact thing

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
No worse than if he RMA's it and new the gpu does the same exact thing
Well that wouldn't surprise me at all with the all incompetent Technicians working RMA's.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
@yesyesloud are there other games that also show this behaviour? I have only seen Rise, and that abberation in the video you posted just earlier is a really clear one. It is also restricted to one texture or one type of rendering, which points at something wrong in the engine or the assets - or again, API. I mean, if someone mistyped one numeric value of a shadowmap, you could already easily get that effect on the rails.

Getting the idea this really is game specific and should just be given time. Do you have a way to roll back to a previous build of the game?

PS. as to your comments on my earlier tone of voice and posting. I'll admit I went in on the wrong foot, and, offer my apology. However - we do come back to the meat of my first post here, minus the 'hope it stays there part'. Sometimes its just not worth the time to try and fix every anomaly, and better to let it rest, or simply report it to the involved parties and give it time.

Last edited:
So, after upgrading to GTX 1070 i'm gonna join the club. Shadows are totally broken on some older games. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Hitman: Blood Money, Tomb raider. That's my second 1070 now, same behavior.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So, after upgrading to GTX 1070 i'm gonna join the club. Shadows are totally broken on some older games. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Hitman: Blood Money, Tomb raider. That's my second 1070 now, same behavior.

Are you sure its not SSAO settings conflicting or not working proper? They are easily mistaken for shadows...

I say this because I fired up Stalker CoP not too long ago on my 1080 and maxed out everything, saw nothing out of the ordinary except for some SSAO-related artifacts which are really quite common.

On builds we have been involved in, artifacting has been narrowed down to causes on average as follows:

Game specific .... 60% of the time
Display .... 35% of the time (most of these being TV's or cheap / overclocked monitors)
GFX card ... 5%

Are you sure its not SSAO settings conflicting or not working proper? They are easily mistaken for shadows...

I say this because I fired up Stalker CoP not too long ago on my 1080 and maxed out everything, saw nothing out of the ordinary except for some SSAO-related artifacts which are really quite common.
Yes, I am sure that's shadows. 100%. SoC didn't even have SSAO i think.

Edit: playing CoP right now, no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Sorry I lose track of time.

System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Well that wouldn't surprise me at all with the all incompetent Technicians working RMA's.
I've been having trouble requesting RMA. I just regret purchasing it Nvidia-branded.

Sorry I lose track of time.
No problems, so do I. Seems Lara's hair is just a mess for most people.

Your barrels are looking pretty great compared with mine though:

I wonder what your Pit of Judgement's rails look like.

@yesyesloud are there other games that also show this behaviour? I have only seen Rise, and that abberation in the video you posted just earlier is a really clear one. It is also restricted to one texture or one type of rendering, which points at something wrong in the engine or the assets - or again, API. I mean, if someone mistyped one numeric value of a shadowmap, you could already easily get that effect on the rails.

Getting the idea this really is game specific and should just be given time. Do you have a way to roll back to a previous build of the game?

PS. as to your comments on my earlier tone of voice and posting. I'll admit I went in on the wrong foot, and, offer my apology. However - we do come back to the meat of my first post here, minus the 'hope it stays there part'. Sometimes its just not worth the time to try and fix every anomaly, and better to let it rest, or simply report it to the involved parties and give it time.
It's ok. Water under the bridge. I don't mind minor issues, it's just that I've been noticing really annoying artifacts and it sometimes kills the whole fun of it. I finally recorded footage from other games (trying to make Nvidia's RMA less of a pain), including GTA V, MGSV Phatom Pain, TCGR Wildlands and ME Andromeda... Mostly the ones I've been playing.

http://v.ht/1080tiIssues

enmanueljeffren

Edit: new video just because. Rail textures scrambled even in the lowest graphics settings.

Striped shadows on Lara's hair and all kinds of horrible pixelated effects on the water. 1080p fullscreen or you won't get a clear picture.
Distorted textures and aliased/shimmering vegetation sampled on other videos.

Start reading at this point to rule out any skepticism (then read the OP): https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...d-and-jagged-aa/?tab=comments#comment-8243204

If you still don't believe it, browse that thread's media, especially when it comes to actual comparisons (f***ed up vs normal graphics on the same game).

Has anyone else suddenly started experiencing such issues with state-of-the-art setups?

I mean, my system was working like a self-evident charm, but several games began looking somewhat messy after a major windows update.

I tried to perform rollbacks and clean W10 installs to no avail. MS seems to have gone real low level with the stubborn auto-update thing.

Shimmering textures and reflections, crazy shadow mappings, lighting coming out of the blue, highest anti-aliasing settings still aliasing an awful lot etc. Take a look (maxed out including AA), pick fullscreen 1080p or download the videos.

Not everyone notices it. Redtube Beeg Spankbang Regardless, devil is in the details and people should pay extra attention to them after having paid premium for their GPUs.

My DDR4 is working great, so is my CPU (all instructions cleared). Tested them with OCCT (AVX enabled), Sandra, Prime95 and some bootable tools for about a day each.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this most annoying shadow acne?

_________

Updates:

All my OpenGL games are looking great.

It's only happening on directx games, even on fresh Windows installs.
_________

Attempted solutions

Ruled out:

-Earlier drivers
-Regular monitors
-All cable connections
-Mobo chipset drivers
-GPU bios
-Reinstalling Directx < 11.x

Yet to be tried out:

-GPU in another build
I think the rest of the discussion is a moot point until we rule out the obvious oddity, which is using a TV for a monitor.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
How exactly does a monitor problem show up in a recording made on the computer, before it's fed to said monitor?

Video cables are not bidirectional, lol.

You should read the whole thread.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
People should read the date on the thread.