• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Case is Patent: Apple, Broadcom Ordered to Pay $1.1 billion to CalTech

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
There is a lot to say regarding patent applications and their defense, and the devious ways these can be used as a way to both stifle innovation, competition, and to leech other companies' funds with what is usually described as "patent troll" behavior. Being a seat of technological innovation, The California Institute of Technology (CalTech) registers patents as results of their attachés' work - some of these see the light of day as actual products, but more often than not, the patent rights are used as a way for the institute to receive funds from those that would license their intellectual property.

After entering a legal battle with Apple and Broadcom back in 2016, CalTech has now had its accusation of patent infringement against both companies come to a close, with the jury deciding in favor of the university. The accusation was of both companies deploying WiFi chips which were based on Caltech's patent designs - WiFi chips that were then shipped within millions of iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. As a result, both Apple and Broadcom were ordered to pay a total of $1.1 billion in compensation, with Apple taking the brunt of the decision ($837.8 million) and Broadcom coming in with a thinner slice at $270.2.

Both Apple and Broadcom have come forward saying they intend to appeal against the decision, with Apple using the tactic of shirking off responsibility. According to the company, they are "an indirect downstream party" to the patent-infringing WiFi modules, which means Apple believes they have no responsibility as to any patent infringements that were included in the design of the chips it ordered from Broadcom. Stock valuation of both Apple and Broadcom declined after the jury's decision was made public.

As for CalTech, the scholl said in a statement that they are "(...) pleased the jury found that Apple and Broadcom infringed Caltech patents. As a non-profit institution of higher education, Caltech is committed to protecting its intellectual property in furtherance of its mission to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research integrated with education."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
"As a non-profit institution of higher education"

yeah....sure they are

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"As a non-profit institution of higher education"

yeah....sure they are

Well it's a donation that will go to loweri...

Who am I kidding, watch tuition go up. LoL

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I would applaud this if it didn't happen within the massively corrupt US college system. Research institutions in general get far too little in return for their research, and most billion-dollar companies today wouldn't exist if it weren't for the contributions of external researchers. Heck, even in the US chances are the research in question was taxpayer funded. Oh well. Apple can afford to pay.

Low quality post by Vya Domus
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
US legal systems and juries regarding patents are a real cesspool. Nothing to see here.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
A reminder that universities are business first, education second.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Well it's a donation that will go to loweri...

Who am I kidding, watch tuition go up. LoL

Knowing my old campus at evergreen, when they get a large sum of money, tuition never comes up in discussion. Instead, they build useless buildings no one asked for.

One of the more recent ones is shaped like a curved concrete cylinder, and is refered to by students as "the UFO." I have no idea what they do with it. I used to joke they enriched uranium there.

A reminder that universities are business first, education second.

Most are. None should be.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Apple should not have to pay anything. Broadcom is fully responsible. It is up to them to manage the legality of the products they sell. Seems like Apple is an easy target because they have so much money. I am not saying Apple has never participated in shady tactics but this seems like a railroad of Apple.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Apple should not have to pay anything. Broadcom is fully responsible. It is up to them to manage the legality of the products they sell. Seems like Apple is an easy target because they have so much money. I am not saying Apple has never participated in shady tactics but this seems like a railroad of Apple.
Apple should have known better going into a deal like that, they are still culpable to a lesser extent.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Apple should have known better going into a deal like that, they are still culpable to a lesser extent.

How should they have known better? Unless Broadcom told Apple that the patents were dubious then Apple does not need to know.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Isn't Apple pretty much Broadcom's only large scale WiFi customer at this point? Given that Apple uses them exclusively and buys their chipset in the tens if not hundreds of millions each year I would guess they are quite intimately involved with their development.

Very weird thread with very worrying comments.
Is this community so much against IP that even Apple gets some sympathy this time? :p

"Non-profit" does NOT mean an institution can't sell stuff.

The $1.1B figure looks silly and likely will get lower over the next court case.
But universities are research facilities as well. They have to protect their work.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

I do not believe apple gets a list of possible patent infringements when they order a chip to spec.

It's a bit more complex than that.

Patent infringement cases are not about companies earning undeserved profit. It's about patent owner losing money because he isn't being paid for his work.
The $1.1B is not a fine (you pay that to the government). It's a compensation for lost profit.

Here's an example of a situation this is designed to prevent.
Company "A" wants to buy a product that uses an IP from company "C".
Suppliers have to pay a fee X - per item made - to the license provider "C".
So I'm a company "B". I decide to make a product that uses "C"'s work, but I don't pay for the license.
I could still sell this product for as much as everyone else and make the whole stolen X, but that doesn't give me any competitive advantage.
Instead, I make my product cheaper by 0.75 * X.
As a result, I'm much cheaper than other suppliers, so I win the contract.
I still make more than every other supplier would (by 0.25 * X).
Buyer "A" earns additional 0.75 * X (compared to if he bought from a supplier that paid for IP use).

If "C" goes to court and wins this case, they should be given the whole X. "C"'s best interest has a priority.
And the real threat (going back to preventing things) is: what if "B" decided not to take any of the stolen value? They could sell a product for X less than everyone else. "A" would earn the whole X. And if "C" was only eligible to what "B" took for themselves... the whole IP idea would collapse.

How "A" and "B" settle this afterwards is of less improtance. Of course "A" can sue "B" and potentially get the 0.75*X back.
I do not believe apple gets a list of possible patent infringements when they order a chip to spec.
Apple, being a major and serious company, should check if the product they buy is "clean". And in the next court case they'll try to prove that they did everything possible - we'll see if the court agrees.
Expecting that a supplier will voluntarily give them such information is like expecting he also gives a list of possible production faults and design mistakes.

And now the inevitable car analogy (which works for any other material product):
If you buy a stolen car and you're "cought", the car will be returned to the rightful owner.
You, as a buyer, are obliged to check if the seller has the right to sell an item (he is an owner or an agent).
If you can't prove you checked ownership, you may be accused of fencing.
If the court decides you bought a stolen car inadvertently (you did some checks, you used sources available to a private buyer etc), you're off the hook for fencing, but you still lose the car, i.e. a lot of money (possibly way more than the thief).

And now when the material ownership becomes even more strict than IP stuff.
If the rightful owner can't be found (or is dead), you still lose the car.

Pretty sure when signing such massive deals, Apple does know what they are getting into. Any competent legal department will take a look at something like that & knowing Apple, especially their dubious patent litigation history, they would've looked into it.

I would applaud this if it didn't happen within the massively corrupt US college system.
You could apply that to the 3 branches of govt as well, across the globe in fact. As I've repeatedly said ~ money, power, influence have corrupted everything around the world & the US is no better in that regard.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Xaled
Nice to see universities finally start to charge for what they've been giving for free for almost 300 years; feeding the capital with science and qualified workforce, raping students and promoting homosexuality.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Isn't Apple pretty much Broadcom's only large scale WiFi customer at this point? Given that Apple uses them exclusively and buys their chipset in the tens if not hundreds of millions each year I would guess they are quite intimately involved with their development.
On the client side, maybe. But Broadcom is the major WiFi router/AP chip player. If say there's 2 to 1 ratio of Broadcom based routers/APs to all other brands combined.

I'm glad to see things have finally worked out the correct way for once. This proves that Apple is less than trustworthy and has been that way for a long time. And because it's a jury trial, an appeal will be MUCH more difficult, effectively a waste of time. Jury verdicts are rarely over-ruled by an appellate court. Whether they like it or not, Apple and Broadcom are going to have to pay for their dishonesty.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Pretty sure when signing such massive deals, Apple does know what they are getting into. Any competent legal department will take a look at something like that & knowing Apple, especially their dubious patent litigation history, they would've looked into it.

You could apply that to the 3 branches of govt as well, across the globe in fact. As I've repeatedly said ~ money, power, influence have corrupted everything around the world & the US is no better in that regard.
I don't entirely disagree with you, but it would sure be nice if you didn't bungle your quotations there. Appreciate it if you were to fix that.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I'm glad to see things have finally worked out the correct way for once. This proves that Apple is less than trustworthy and has been that way for a long time. And because it's a jury trial, an appeal will be MUCH more difficult, effectively a waste of time. Jury verdicts are rarely over-ruled by an appellate court. Whether they like it or not, Apple and Broadcom are going to have to pay for their dishonesty.

Apple may have a point here in an appeal, but Broadcom is screwed.

Apple merely licensed the infringing product. How were they to know?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
They don't have a prayer because...

That's the point and why the jury slammed them, they knew!

Unfortunately the way I see Apple will be happy to spend more than 1 billion dollars to appeal this case. They have made so many infringements it is not funny.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
How should they have known better? Unless Broadcom told Apple that the patents were dubious then Apple does not need to know.
You are assuming they never asked. I am assuming Apple is smart enough to ask.

blindly ordering like they did is asking for trouble and they got it.

but it would sure be nice if you didn't bungle your quotations there. Appreciate it if you were to fix that.
Not sure why your name is showing in the first quote, pretty sure it was the other poster when I first submitted the reply.