• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Witcher 2 Contains Secret Sauce To 'Catch 100% Of Pirates'

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Okay, let's look at this definition. If the personal property is the ownned digital work of the creator, made to generate money, the theif is depriving the owner of that income thus, stealing.

Hey ... that's what I said in post #84. Are you stealing my lines?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Okay, let's look at this definition. If the personal property is the ownned digital work of the creator, made to generate money, the theif (sic) is depriving the owner of that income thus, stealing.

So now income is predetermined already...? :laugh:

You sound like the RIAA now, where they have claimed that because of Limewire they lost their "potential" income which is 6x the total amount of money in the whole world.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If it's theft why is it legal?

Because of people with different opinions. I'm no lawyer... Maybe that's why I loathe these discussions.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
what are you talking about?

a)i don't pirate.
b)i said piracy is bad, it's just not theft.
c)i'd be in trouble, for copyright infringement. for piracy, but not for larceny or theft. because it is not theft.

great minds huh ;) beat me by seconds!!!

the fact that our stance on the use of language makes you think you have any knowledge of where we stand morally or ethically makes me think less of you as a person.

Your opinions of me don't concern me in the least. Copyright infringement is basically another term for theft. Is it legal to pirate games? Is it not punishable by law? I know that I can't convince you not to pirate them, but on the other hand, you will not convince me to be ok with it. I don't know why people think they should be able to take things that they didn't earn. I guess that's just me.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
I torrent... except for affordable non overpriced software and games... those are the only two things i don't torrent.

How many of you paid the artist or the photographer royalties to use your avatars... Enough said

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Someday before I die, I would like to get all the TPU'ers together in a hall we rented out exclusivley (with open bar of course) to discuss piracy.
I just can't think of anything that would be more entertaining and a once in a lifetime event.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Okay, let's look at this definition. If the personal property is the ownned digital work of the creator, made to generate money, the theif is depriving the owner of that income thus, stealing.

again ill quote my own post here
if I make my own beer that tastes as good as budwiser and all my friends drink my beer and not bud-wiser does that make me a thief ?
if I "copy" the process of beer making from a tv show I on the history channel about anheuser busch does that make me infringement on anheuser Busch's copy rights ? what if one of my friends has never had a anheuser busch products and after tasting mine decides he will buy a case of Budweiser for his next party ? what then
copy != loss
cut and paste = loss

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming

the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

you are not being deprived of your property. you are possibly being deprived of monetary gain said property may afford you, but that is not definite and can not be assumed. and even if they could they are not stealing the money itself, and so it's not theft.

i'm not trying to lessen it's impact here. it's bad. maybe there's not a good enough word for it, but it very specifically is not theft.

System Name Freyja
Processor Core i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon HD 7970
Storage Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD + Seagate 2 TB HD
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case NZXT Tempest 210
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 750W
Software Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit
Oh, it matters all right, because it's assumed that copying the game/movie/song/whatever is "stealing" that intangible product and that therefore the creator has lost money. It frankly isn't stealing, it's copying since the creator still has their product and it's not true that it automatically leads to lost sales. That's the big lie that big content foist on us to push for draconian totallitarian control of the internet and our lives, all in order to keep their f* obsolete business models alive. Man I hate the bastards for this. :banghead: It's indeed illegal to make these copies, but look at who drew up these laws in the first place. It's always powerful interests manipulating politicians into screwing over the litle guy.
While I hate draconian DRM almost as much as you, I have no problem with the bold part (well not the manipulation and screwing us over, but the idea that it is illegal :laugh:). And I see you're trying to get at, but ultimately whatever you call it, pirates are still obtaining a product that in a perfect system they wouldn't be able to get without purchasing it or knowing someone in person who has it. Even if they were never going to buy it, that doesn't give them the pass to do whatever they want.

As Valve's Gabe Newell (Half-life, Portal, Steam etc) said a while back "Pirates are underserved customers". He's got a point. There are quite a few reasons for copying, but the fact is that people will still buy your product even if lots of people copy it. A really good example are the DRM-free songs on iTunes. There's no toy "Fairplay" [sic] DRM on there any more to stop you sticking it on The Pirate Bay (it's only a search engine that links remember, another big difference) yet the market is vibrant and healthy. AFAIK sales actually increased after music went DRM-free - a rather inconvenient fact staring Big Media in the face that they don't like to acknowledge. So, WTF is all this BS with three strikes, SOPA and the rest of it that they're foisting on us? It's all about total control of the internet, nothing more, nothing less. Just another form of oppression that must be faught and stopped. Shit, I should be a freedom fighter, lol.

You make a good point, and one that I agree with to an extent, but I will not acknowledge the idea to just give up on trying to stop rampant pirates (the type who will always pirate no matter what). They don't deserve the product and they should be punished for bypassing the system.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
a)if I make my own beer that tastes as good as budwiser and all my friends drink my beer and not bud-wiser does that make me a thief ?
b)if I "copy" the process of beer making from a tv show I on the history channel about anheuser busch does that make me infringement on anheuser Busch's copy rights ?
c)what if one of my friends has never had a anheuser busch products and after tasting mine decides he will buy a case of Budweiser for his next party ? what then

a)no
b)yes
c)budweiser gets a sale, and you still broke the law.

it's really very simple. the ethics of it can all be argued, but if your intent is to get one over, you're in the wrong. if your intent is simply to make the best brew possible, you wouldn't be copying their brew anyway so no worries ;)

Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
Based on the very few information I did get before, at least one of the "scene" groups for games is based in Eastern Europe. So I guess the only way for them to stop is if the United States (or the West in general) invades Eastern Europe.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
if I make my own beer that tastes as good as budwiser and all my friends drink my beer and not bud-wiser does that make me a thief ?
if I "copy" the process of beer making from a tv show I on the history channel about anheuser busch does that make me infringement on anheuser Busch's copy rights ? what if one of my friends has never had a anheuser busch products and after tasting mine decides he will buy a case of Budweiser for his next party ? what then

These kind of beer companies don't let their recipe out nor do they condone selling their or your "copy" beer under their name. Of course you can homebrew a beer that tastes like Bud and give it or sell it to your friends.

So the theft part:

Stealing Budweisers name
Stealing their recipe

Everythnig else is legit. You (hopefully) bought/made the equipment, ingredients and put the work into making your beer that tastes like Budweiser. It would be legitmate.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
copy != loss
cut and paste = loss
These kind of beer companies don't let their recipe out nor do they condone selling their or your "copy" beer under their name. Of course you can homebrew a beer that tastes like Bud and give it or sell it to your friends.

So the theft part:

Stealing Budweisers name
Stealing their recipe

Everythnig else is legit. You (hopefully) bought/made the equipment, ingredients and put the work into making your beer that tastes like Budweiser. It would be legitmate.

Don't sweat him. His curfew is about to hit and his mom will make him go to bed kid prob only tasted beer when he was at the Sanduski camp learning how to handle balls.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Copyright infringement is basically another term for theft. Is it legal to pirate games? Is it not punishable by law?

No it is not, it isn't at all.

Yes they both involve having something that you should not, but that does not make them the same. This is precisely why they have different terms.

Also pirating games is a Gray area they downloading of the content it's self a lot of the time is not considered a crime in it's self.

Hell there is countries that is NEVER considered illegal :laugh:

It's the distribution that is illegal as well as profiting from the copied software/art.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

you are not being deprived of your property. you are possibly being deprived of monetary gain said property may afford you, but that is not definite and can not be assumed. and even if they could they are not stealing the money itself, and so it's not theft.

i'm not trying to lessen it's impact here. it's bad. maybe there's not a good enough word for it, but it very specifically is not theft.

Again, I'm no lawyer but in the definition of property we find this:

something to which a person or business has a legal title

Developers have legal titles to digital software. Taking it is theft.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
While I hate draconian DRM almost as much as you, I have no problem with the bold part (well not the manipulation and screwing us over, but the idea that it is illegal :laugh:). And I see you're trying to get at, but ultimately whatever you call it, pirates are still obtaining a product that in a perfect system they wouldn't be able to get without purchasing it or knowing someone in person who has it. Even if they were never going to buy it, that doesn't give them the pass to do whatever they want.

Yes, in other words, the morality of copying is questionable - I agree, it's certainly iffy (but can have its justifications) and I forgot to make that point. :toast: Of course, Big Media can't make any money or pass any laws on a morality argument, so they invent bogus loss figures to justify their actions.

You make a good point, and one that I agree with to an extent, but I will not acknowledge the idea to just give up on trying to stop rampant pirates (the type who will always pirate no matter what). They don't deserve the product and they should be punished for bypassing the system.

Completely stopping it shouldn't be the ultimate goal. Offering customers a better product by going legit is the way to go, which would reduce it markedly. Once again, all those DRM-free songs selling well on iTunes are a terribly inconvenient truth to Big Music.

Again, www.techdirt.com says all this stuff much better than I can.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
By the way folks, move to Canada or The Netherlands where you can download music freely so long as you don't sell it.

I imagine the same applies to other digital files but I will look into it.

Again, I'm no lawyer but in the definition of property we find this:

right but as i bolded, the removal with intent to deprive the rightful owner. it's not removed. they are not deprived of the title. they own it, and still possess it. nothing was technically stolen.

i realize i am being very technical, but that's who i am. i think ethically they are very similar, though in my mind it takes more scumbaggery to be willing to physically remove an item from a store or home. for each individual, if they never would have bought the item, them having a copy does not hurt anyone. it really doesn't. think about it logically - they wouldn't have bought it, they didn't stop anyone else from buying it, the developer likely wouldn't even know in most cases.

that doesn't make it ok, but it is ethically very different from physically removing someone's property from their store home or person, etc.

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10

It has more to do with claiming it as yours though. Skidrow, Reloaded, Razor1911 never claims they own the games.

Anyway, it's interesting at least that for example, according to the Crysis 2 EULA, all the user gets is "access" to the software. So the discs you get are only giving you access to the software...so if you copy it, you copy "access", and not the software itself. If you follow the wordings of the EULA they themselves made. And therefore you can't be accused of copyright infringement because "access to software" is not by itself copyrightable. To circumvent that, they essentially have to void the EULA so that the discs revert to being the "software" themselves. lol

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Digi makes a good point. This does not fall under the definition of theft.
Let's look at the definition of "Stealing"
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

Carry on.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
No it is not, it isn't at all.

Yes they both involve having something that you should not, but that does not make them the same. This is precisely why they have different terms.

Also pirating games is a Gray area they downloading of the content it's self a lot of the time is not considered a crime in it's self.

Hell there is countries that is NEVER considered illegal :laugh:

It's the distribution that is illegal as well as profiting from the copied software/art.

So you honestly think that you're not effecting anything by taking a copy of a game that you didn't pay anything for? Why don't they just pass them out for free then?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
right but as i bolded, the removal with intent to deprive the rightful owner. it's not removed. they are not deprived of the title. they own it, and still possess it. nothing was technically stolen.

i realize i am being very technical, but that's who i am. i think ethically they are very similar, though in my mind it takes more scumbaggery to be willing to physically remove an item from a store or home. for each individual, if they never would have bought the item, them having a copy does not hurt anyone. it really doesn't that doesn't make it ok, but it is ethically very different from physically removing someones property from their store home or person, etc.

The thing is, the title is worthless with no financial worth. Stealing/distributing it deprives the owner of its full worth and depriving the owner of the property.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback

agree
example A: lets say I would like to attend a ball game
a scalper walks up and says hey you look like a cool dude ill cut you a deal
now said tickets have already been payed for the stadium and team already got there compensation. is it theft if I buy said tickets

example b: I want to have the latest episode of my favorite tv show on my pc that I didn't get to watch because I was not home
so I download it ? am I a thief ? no I am not I pay my cable bill had I been home I would have watched it anyway so am I a Thief for downloading something I would have enjoyed anyway had I been home ? what if I buy the whole series on dvd at a later date what then ?

example c: there is this new game out all I know about it is what he reviewer and youtube tells me but I am still on the fence I download it I find it entertaining but not worth the 60 dollar asking price I complete the game and delete it a few months later I see it marked down to 45 bucks wanting to replay it I purchase it am I a thief ?

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
So you honestly think that you're not effecting anything by taking a copy of a game that you didn't pay anything for? Why don't they just pass them out for free then?

No I don't think it's affecting anyone at all.

Like I said if people could not monitor what was happening regarding file downloading etc how would people even know?

Piracy is the very definition of a victimless crime.

By the by @ Erocker in the UK property is defined as "A thing or things belonging to someone; possessions collectively."

And a "thing" is defined as a material object.

So again perhaps this all boils down to language.

explain to me the effect then?

if jack was never going to buy mw3. ever.
but he got a copy for free, how did that effect anything?

buy | don't buy | pirate
spend $60 | save $60 |save $60
play game | don't game |play game

it's really very simple. now yes there are pirates that otherwise would have bought a game, but there are very definitely those that never would. how are they affecting anyone?

The thing is, the title is worthless with no financial worth. Stealing/distributing it deprives the owner of its full worth and depriving the owner of the property.
distribution of copyrighted content is different. but obtaining a copy in and of itself, if you never would have bought it, is not removing anything from the rightful owner. it's still wrong. it's only right that they are compensated for their work - but it is very different from stealing $60 from their wallet. it's not as if one pirated copy stops EVERYONE from buying it.