• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Witcher 2 Contains Secret Sauce To 'Catch 100% Of Pirates'

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, really - 100% of those pesky "pirates" will be brought to book! The game's studio, CD Projekt RED (CDP Red) isn't letting on how it's doing so, either, claiming it's a "trade secret" and not giving out the name of the external company that's implementing the anti-piracy technology, claiming that to do so would damage their business. Seriously. The problem with identifying a dodgy copy of something is that the main info they have to track them down, are the IP addresses of the suspect. This has been shown many times over now, not to be a reliable tracker of who's doing what. At the most, it will pinpoint the account holder that it relates to, in some cases. However, this outfit reckons they've nailed this dealbreaking problem once and for all - and without any evidence on how they go about it. Snake oil, perhaps? The Polish company have therefore been sending out legal notices to thousands of suspects in Germany, chosen because this country has some of the strictest copyright laws in Europe. Presumably, they must be leaning on the ISPs to hand over customers' physical street addresses, although this isn't made clear, but read on for how this might be accomplished. In an email to PC Gamer, CDP Red VP Michael Nowakowski made the following statement:

We're addressing only 100% confirmed piracy causes that are 100% possible to prove. We are not worried about tracking the wrong people. As this is the trade secret of the company working on this, I cannot share it. However, we investigated the subject before we decided on this move, and we aware of some past complications (the famous Davenport case). The method used here is targeting only 100% confirmed piracy cases. No innocent person was targeted with the letter so far. At least we have not received any information as of now which would indicate something like that.
Notice how the Davenport case is "famous" rather than "infamous" - they actually went down in flames over their extortion tactics. Also notice how they covered themselves by saying "At least we have not received any information as of now which would indicate something like that." So, they could be targeting the innocent after all, they just haven't heard about it. Nice.

So, there appears to be two options to how this tracking technology works:

1 There is no technology and this is just smoke and mirrors (with a dash of snake oil) designed to extort marks into coughing up money to make CD Projekt go away

2 They really do have some "tracking technology" in their games. Now, what could this be? Well, as they're not telling us, it's only right and proper to be highly suspicious of what it actually does and to put it in the same class as common criminal malware. This is because the only logical way that they can track the individual in any semi-reliable manner, is to lift personal information off their computer. Let's speculate on how this could be achieved. It would include stuff such as email logins, bank logins, Facebook logins, network traffic sniffing to read the contents of highly personal and confidential messages and any other login where personal information such as a name and address might be kept. You name it, they might be doing it. This kind of activity is of course highly illegal everywhere, so no wonder they'd want to keep quiet about it. It makes traditional draconian DRM schemes such as SecuROM and the like seem like a walk in the park by comparison, doesn't it?

So, do you really want to install software that does some or all of this on your computer, just to play a lousy video game? Obviously, that's a resounding NO!

Regardless of how they track down suspects, this exercise is extortion with a legal veneer, pure and simple. This is because there haven't been any independent studies showing that "piracy" reduces profits and makes companies go to the wall - they have all been big media industry sponsored. However, there are several independent studies that show it does nothing, or actually enhances sales by indirect means, such as reputation spread by word of mouth. Of course, the powerful media cartels based in America, are able to buy government reps all over the world to make them pass corrupt laws as if all this "piracy" really was hurting them - three strikes, PROTECT IP & SOPA are just three examples. Consider the blockbusting sales here and here of Modern Warfare 3 recently. This will be the most "pirated" game of all, yet it still outsold all of Hollywood put together...

There is of course, one sure fire and legal way to beat a company that tries such dirty tricks: the boycott. Don't buy their products and don't pirate them, then laugh as you watch them go under (all the while still blaming alleged "piracy", of course). I personally wholeheartedly recommend this course of action. Once again www.techdirt.com is recommended as the site to go to, as they expose abuses like this daily.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I don't condone piracy but I also hate dirty tricks with tracking and all that crap. I also hate when someone says "we're 100% sure" and all that bullcrap.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Good editorial. Nope, that's a resounding YES for me. This is the way it should be implemented and face it, if it is just "smoke and mirrors" the courts will just throw this right out and it will die. Kudos to CD Projekt RED for doing it the right way. :toast:

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
Nope, that's a resounding YES for me. This is the way it should be implemented and face it, if it is just "smoke and mirrors" the courts will just throw this right out and it will die. Kudos to CD Projekt RED for doing it the right way. :toast:

Nope, that`s a resounding NO for me. This is NOT the way it should be done. Dont i have the right to try something, before i fork out my hard earned money for it? And where is my right of privacy, if you agree with the rights of copyright?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Dont i have the right to try something, before i fork out my hard earned money for it? And where is my right of privacy

No, you don't have the right to try something first unless it is given and you lose that small bit of privacy when you tick yes on the EULA.

bogie

Surely what they are doing is spyware/malware and against the law in many countries?

If it does go to court they will have to reveal thier methods & legality of methods. :shadedshu

Look at what happened to Sony's rootkits on CD's. Big lawsuit and a lot of backtracking by Sony to wriggle out of all the negative publicity.

I'm not sure that this is a good idea by CD Projekt RED. :banghead:

If they sent me a letter I would laugh at it! :laugh:

btw, I have not pirated their crappy buggy game anyway. :D

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There is a way to know 100% of the time if a game is not a valid (purchased) copy.
Each valid copy of the game could "phone home" with a unique identifier and the IP address of where it is located and then stored in a database.
If this unique ID shows up more than once, you KNOW a copy has been made.

The thing I am wondering is how you can know, with 100% accuracy, which is the bootleg copy.
"First location to register the ID" would not give you 100% accuracy (although it would probably be pretty close as I think most people would buy, install, copy).

I don't care what CDP does, I want to know how (the coding details). :cry:

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Good editorial. Nope, that's a resounding YES for me. This is the way it should be implemented and face it, if it is just "smoke and mirrors" the courts will just throw this right out and it will die. Kudos to CD Projekt RED for doing it the right way. :toast:

Then you haven't given this the proper thought. This isn't just IP tracking. Their verification is on their end, not the ISP's, meaning some sort of illegal data mining is involved. I wonder if they'll be required to reveal their method in court or if they just take the person's pc. That would have the proof but skirt the issue of how they got it before hand.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
if they access and submit any personal information it's illegal in most countries. could even be interpreted as hacking if you assume that the operating system's process separation and non-admin users are ways to protect sensitive data.

if you agreed to it in the TOS it may be legal, it's not clear whether it's possible to waive away a right to privacy.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
if you agreed to it in the TOS it may be legal, it's not clear whether it's possible to waive away a right to privacy.

Now there's a grey area. I'll bet this varies from country. It would come under the illegal or unreasonable contracts section of any country's laws.

EDIT: this is the obvious question to ask: it's one thing to lift lots of personal details if the user has "agreed" to it by blindly clicking yes to the agreement - which may or may not be legal to subject them to. However, our "pirate" has not agreed to this, making such dodgy techniques definitely illegal, regardless of whether the "pirate" is doing something illegal or not themselves. It's the sort of reason why vigilantes are frowned upon and people are expected to let the police and the law take care of the crimes. Which they often don't...

Last edited:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.

I agree that qbit doesn't speak for all of us and this is more of an editorial... otherwise charges they planned to bring against someone would've been mentioned imo... No charges because nothing illegal is happening... torrenting is not stealing or illegal!

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I give it a week before it's hacked and rendered useless

Out of curiosity, I wonder if they plan to bring in the probably fifty percent of their actual sales that probably pirated the game because not being able to try the game before hand in this modern day is suicide with console ports and just badly coded games in general.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
Either they're accessing other data on the PC it's installed on to find information - in that case it's incredibly bad malware, illegal, immoral and beneath contempt...

Or they're just making it up.

They're making it up.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Wtf is this thread so dead, I thought i'd be entertained for at least a few hours or till bann but no, nobody wants to post for some fking reason... Pirating is cool, it does nothing but make the market and big business legit. Look at the music industry now... No napster would've meant no itunes. FKING POST

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
My problem with this is the hipocracy from CD Projekt. They run Good Old Games which is a DRM free service. The very first patch for Witcher 2 also removes the DRM (theoretically, apparently). And now they're saying they deployed a decietful DRM in the Witcher 2 and are taking people to court with whatever information they gained from it. The hipocracy, lies, and deceit pisses me off to no end. I'm not buying anything from CD Projekt ever again (including GoG). I don't care if it was only on the German SKU, you don't treat your customers like criminals and you don't lie to them, period. Even EA doesn't stoop that low.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
My problem with this is the hipocracy from CD Projekt. They run Good Old Games which is a DRM free service. The very first patch for Witcher 2 also removes the DRM (theoretically, apparently). And now they're saying they deployed a decietful DRM in the Witcher 2 and are taking people to court with whatever information they gained from it. The hipocracy, lies, and deceit pisses me off to no end. I'm not buying anything from CD Projekt ever again (including GoG). I don't care if it was only on the German SKU, you don't treat your customers like criminals and you don't lie to them, period. Even EA doesn't stoop that low.

Damn straight! This hypocrisy is disgusting. Unfortunately, I spotted the PC Gamer article a little too late to start making significant changes to my article, but it's a really important point. Thanks for bringing it up. :toast:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Interesting post Ford.
It seems that there is a semantical difference between what people view as DRM.
One could say that DRM prevents you from playing a game when you do not meet the requirements of what the publisher views as a valid copy (CD/DVD check, constant internet connection, etc.)
If the software allows you to use what you have, but just reports that it's illegal it is not infringing upon you ability to use the software (although there may be consequences for doing so).

It's kind of like speed limits in the US. There is nothing to prevent you from going 100mph (DRM), but if you get caught you get fined. Perhaps a poor analogy, but you know what I mean.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Here's my issue with the whole piracy thing, if you don't release a demo so I can see if your $60 pile of crap actually works and is playable im not buying.

With that said three people I know bought the Witcher 2 after watching me play it, I only actually bought it last week.
The way i see it that -1 +3 +1 roughly $200 in sales from a pirated copy $150 of which they would have never got without that copy.
The whole piracy is killing the industry is a crock.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
hahahaah! stupid pirates! throw them all in jail!

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
I contain a secret sauce that causes 100% of hookers to take my money.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Here's my issue with the whole piracy thing, if you don't release a demo so I can see if your $60 pile of crap actually works and is playable im not buying.

With that said three people I know bought the Witcher 2 after watching me play it, I only actually bought it last week.
The way i see it that -1 +3 +1 roughly $200 in sales from a pirated copy $150 of which they would have never got without that copy.
The whole piracy is killing the industry is a crock.

I agree with you in general Batou, but for some games it's not easy to just create some kind of "crippled" demo. You still need to supply all the code, art assets, audio and everything that makes the game play, and then inject code to cripple it (time played, locations etc.).
For certain games it's not so bad as you release the demo with limited maps, or levels, but with open world RPGs it's not that simple, and just easy for someone who know what they are doing to hack out the restirictions and get the full game as it is to crack the DRM.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Interesting post Ford.
It seems that there is a semantical difference between what people view as DRM.
One could say that DRM prevents you from playing a game when you do not meet the requirements of what the publisher views as a valid copy (CD/DVD check, constant internet connection, etc.)
If the software allows you to use what you have, but just reports that it's illegal it is not infringing upon you ability to use the software (although there may be consequences for doing so).

It's kind of like speed limits in the US. There is nothing to prevent you from going 100mph (DRM), but if you get caught you get fined. Perhaps a poor analogy, but you know what I mean.
The end goal is the same: sue someone for copyright infringement. Just because their DRM is reactive instead of proactive doesn't exclude it from being DRM. If you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig.