• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

throttle stop explanation

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
explanation on page you linked to repeated below
"ThrottleStop is a small application designed to monitor for and correct the three main types of CPU throttling that are being used on many laptop computers."

Yeah...but how do you use it? I consider myself pretty computer literate. And I have NO CLUE how it works or WTF to do with it. It's not very straightforward and/or intuitive...AT ALL! Why the author expects we should know everything about how it's supposed to be used with NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER is beyond me. I highly doubt anyone but him could tell you exactly what's what with every aspect of it.

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
This helps a little?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
ThrottleStop is a tool that supports most Intel CPUs released during the last decade. A long time ago I offered to setup and maintain a thread dedicated to ThrottleStop on TechPowerUp but at the time, the W1zzard did not think there would be enough interest here for that. On Notebook Review there is a 730 page ThrottleStop thread that has been running continuously for over 7 years.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

You can learn a lot about ThrottleStop by searching that thread.

Douglas Black who writes for Notebook Check recently wrote a ThrottleStop Guide that covers many of ThrottleStop's features.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThrottleStop-Primer.213140.0.html

The best way to learn what ThrottleStop is all about is to use the program. There is some documentation in the ThrottleStop 8.48 download but it looks like that documentation was not included with the ThrottleStop 8.50 download. I will include that in the next release.

Reactions: vgm

vgm

System Name Alienware 15 R2
Processor i7 6700HQ BGA
Motherboard HM170
Cooling Stock Air Cooling with TG Carbonaut
Memory HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 980M 8GB
Storage P11TB, SN 570 1TB, 850 Evo,HGST HDD
Display(s) 15.6" FHD
Case None
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon 3Di
Power Supply 240W
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Stock AW keyboard
VR HMD None
Software Win 10 22H2
ThrottleStop is a tool that supports most Intel CPUs released during the last decade. A long time ago I offered to setup and maintain a thread dedicated to ThrottleStop on TechPowerUp but at the time, the W1zzard did not think there would be enough interest here for that. On Notebook Review there is a 730 page ThrottleStop thread that has been running continuously for over 7 years.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

You can learn a lot about ThrottleStop by searching that thread.

Douglas Black who writes for Notebook Check recently wrote a ThrottleStop Guide that covers many of ThrottleStop's features.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThrottleStop-Primer.213140.0.html

The best way to learn what ThrottleStop is all about is to use the program. There is some documentation in the ThrottleStop 8.48 download but it looks like that documentation was not included with the ThrottleStop 8.50 download. I will include that in the next release.
Is there any reason why the older method of creating basic tasks in task scheduler to run at startup doesn't work on RS2 and later versions?
It used to work flawlessly on RS1.

vgm

Processor i7 6700HQ BGA
Motherboard HM170
Display(s) 15.6" FHD
Case None
Power Supply 240W
Mouse Logitech G304
VR HMD None
Software Win 10 22H2
I am using the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update Build 16299.125 and creating tasks in the task scheduler still works for me.

Try following the ThrottleStop Task Scheduler Guide exactly. It explains some of the things to watch out for.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107
That works great. The reason is At Startup option to start apps automatically doesn't work like you told me earlier.
I didn't know you updated the guide. Maybe I missed that one. Papusan will kill me, if he sees this post.
Does TS work with insider preview 17025 aka RS4? I'm trying it to see what features they're shipping into W10 in RS4 because Public release will be have most upvoted features removed.

unclewebb

When setup properly, the Task Scheduler has worked great since Windows Vista so I am pretty sure that this method will continue to work in RS4.

I have not tested TS with any of the recent RS4 insider preview builds. When something doesn't work, people usually tell me so I will wait until then.

vgm

Processor i7 6700HQ BGA
Motherboard HM170
Display(s) 15.6" FHD
Case None
Power Supply 240W
Mouse Logitech G304
VR HMD None
Software Win 10 22H2
When setup properly, the Task Scheduler has worked great since Windows Vista so I am pretty sure that this method will continue to work in RS4.

I have not tested TS with any of the recent RS4 insider preview builds. When something doesn't work, people usually tell me so I will wait until then.
Alright I see if there's any issue and report back here or at NBR forums.

AladdinJH

Throttle Stop Can you help me fixing this error could not open WinRing0.dll
and by the way i'm not administrator because i want throttle stop on school laptop, like i can open throttle stop by bypasser but i want to fix WinRing0.dll Please

unclewebb

i'm not administrator
You need Administrator privileges to run ThrottleStop.

Some antivirus programs will block any program that uses the WinRing0 driver. To fix that problem, you need to use a different antivirus program which is probably not going to be possible on a school laptop.

I am an Administrator and I use Avast antivirus on all of my computers and I do not have any problems running ThrottleStop.

AladdinJH

You need Administrator privileges to run ThrottleStop.

Some antivirus programs will block any program that uses the WinRing0 driver. To fix that problem, you need to use a different antivirus program which is probably not going to be possible on a school laptop.

I am an Administrator and I use Avast antivirus on all of my computers and I do not have any problems running ThrottleStop.

But what if i disabled the antivirus?!