• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop how to remove Throttle flag

fm663

My Dell E7440 laptop goes into Throttle mode due to it stopped liking the power adapter, even though there is nothing wrong with it. All component temperatures are still fine, except the fan runs at 100% speed.

How to remove the Throttle indicator so that the laptop does not throttle causing high speed fan?

Also, is there a way to control the fan speed?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Open up the Limit Reasons window. What does it show? Is BD PROCHOT red? If so, try using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. This is a common throttling method used by Dell laptops.

fm663

Thanks for your help, here are my findings so far. If you want me to try other things please let me know.

With BD-PROCHOT already disabled:

When I have AC adapter connected, I get the following in the Limit Reasons window, where UTILIZATION blinks between RED and YELLOW. I have tried with three different Dell original chargers 65W, 90W and 130W - all same behavior. Also FAN speed is very high.

When AC adapter dis-connected, UTILIZATION stays YELLOW and fan speed is low

Note for all these testing above, I already had BD-PROCHOT already disabled.

1546563614923.png

With BD-PROCHOT enabled:

With BD-PROCSHOT enabled the laptop CPU speed keeps from dropping from 2.5GHz all the way down to 100MHz and then laptop hangs with super high speed fan. Screenshot below shows the Throttle state.

BD PROCHOT and CORE POWER and GPU POWER appears where UTILIZATION blinks between RED and YELLOW.

1546564273621.png

Attachments

• 1546564063847.png
    1546564063847.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,475
Last edited:

unclewebb

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-4300U Mobile processor.html

The 4300U uses configurable TDP levels. The default TDP is 15 Watts, TDP-Up is supposed to be 25 Watts and TDP-down is 11.5 Watts. Looks like Dell set a power limit way below this. The last picture shows that your CPU is being forced down to 5 Watts or less so both the CPU and iGPU are throttling excessively.

Have you tried enabling the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? You need to first download and install the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder. Click on the Install button in this section of ThrottleStop for further details.

After you install and check that option, do some more testing to see if it makes any difference. Also post a picture of the Turbo Power Limits (TPL) window so I can have a look.

Are you using ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU? That can help these low power devices too.

Instead of checking Set Multiplier, did you try setting the FIVR - Non Turbo Ratio to 1? That can help with some throttling schemes.

fm663

Thank you for your help. I have disabled Turbo and also unchecked Multipler. Most of the warnings are gone, however I am getting getting GPU POWER in RED. here is a screenshot.

I do not know how to use FIVR Control. What values should I be setting?
There is also a GPU-Z sensors screenshot.

1546641471032.png

1546642091601.png

1546642153182.png

Last edited:

unclewebb

I have disabled Turbo
Why? I cannot remember recommending to do that.

I said you should check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. You need to push the Install button first to install the appropriate driver. Try doing that first.

There are a few features in the FIVR window that might be able to significantly help you.

fm663

I am surprised by the power of this tool, I am still very new to this and want to learn all the parameters in details.

My laptop seems to be behaving a lot better. Here are the screenshots. Am I doing anything wrong or anything that can be set in a better.

1546694857280.png
1546694867427.png

1546694882954.png

1546694899674.png
1546694925674.png

unclewebb

It looks like you are making progress.

The first ThrottleStop profile is your Performance profile. The goal should be maximum performance when you are plugged in. Why is Disable Turbo checked and why is Set Multiplier only set to 25? Your CPU supports a maximum multiplier of 29 so Set Multiplier should be set to 29 T. The T indicates that Intel Turbo Boost will be used. Intel built this performance into this CPU so do not be afraid to use it. Keep in mind that Dell is the problem, not Intel.

Intel CPUs do a fantastic job of looking after themselves. Get rid of any negative thoughts about what is a safe maximum CPU temperature. Intel designed all of their CPUs to automatically throttle and slow down if they ever get too hot. Let the CPU manage its maximum temperature. ThrottleStop cannot be used to go beyond the Intel maximum safe temperature so no worries. A low power 4300U CPU cannot be overclocked so using ThrottleStop to maximize its performance is not going to hurt it. You are only trying to extract the maximum performance that is already there.

The Intel recommended thermal throttle temperature for the 4300U is 100°C. ThrottleStop shows PROCHOT 97°C. Dell has set a -3°C offset to the throttling temperature so it will throttle sooner than the Intel spec. This means you do not have to worry about your CPU ever reaching the Intel specified maximum temperature. It will throttle and slow down before it ever gets to 100°C.

In the FIVR window, set the voltage range to 125 mV instead of 1000 mV. This is safer in case you accidentally move the voltage offset slider and hit OK without noticing what you just did. No one wants to accidentally feed their CPU an extra +1000 mV.

Same with the VCCIN slider. You are not using this feature yet but it is still safer to set the max to 1.80 V instead of 2.30 V.

The Power Saver option is intended for early Core 2 Duo mobile processors from about 10 years ago. I would not use this feature on your CPU. Modern CPUs use low power C states like C7 to save power. When idle, sitting at the desktop with nothing open and only ThrottleStop running, a 2 core CPU should be spending well over 90% of its time in the C7 state. 99% in C7 would be ideal.

Remember, MHz when idle, not that important. C state residency time, very important. When a CPU core enters C7, it is disconnected from the voltage rail and it is also disconnected from the internal clock. This means the core is running internally at 0 MHz and 0 Volts. Traditional monitoring software can not accurately report what a core is doing when idle in C7 because it would have to wake the core up to sample it. That's pointless. Better to leave the dormant core alone so it can save power. The ThrottleStop C state data is a way to see what a CPU core is really doing without having to wake it up.

You might have some useless programs running in the background on your computer. Open the Task Manager and find out what they are. Click on the Details tab and click on CPU to organize tasks from highest to lowest CPU Usage. Turn off and get rid of what you do not need. The Autoruns program is very useful for tracking down useless items that have been added to your Windows startup sequence.

Autoruns
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

With only 2 cores available, it is important to run a clean system. Getting rid of the crap and bloatware on a computer is a science. Every time you install something, check that it is not significantly interfering with your CPU spending as much time as possible in the C7 state when idle.

Your undervolt looks OK. Try running something simple like the built in TS Bench test to make sure your CPU is stable. Watch for any signs of throttling while that test is running.

The Package C State Limit is locked, probably by the bios to C10. In ThrottleStop, the Request is set to C1. Change the Request to C10. If this register is locked by the bios to C10, there is no use wasting CPU cycles trying to change it to C1.

Reactions: mik

Danez

How to fix that limit problem..and all my settings already good?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4,812
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 3,178
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,808

unclewebb

@Danez - If you look in the Turbo Power Limits window, there is a Lock bit set for both the Turbo Boost Power Limits and the Lock bit is also set for the Primary Plane Power Limits. These are set by the bios and once these registers have been locked, you cannot use software like ThrottleStop to make any adjustments. You would need a modified bios that does not lock these registers at boot time and that is probably not available for your laptop. No software can get around a register that is locked.

Danez

@Danez - If you look in the Turbo Power Limits window, there is a Lock bit set for both the Turbo Boost Power Limits and the Lock bit is also set for the Primary Plane Power Limits. These are set by the bios and once these registers have been locked, you cannot use software like ThrottleStop to make any adjustments. You would need a modified bios that does not lock these registers at boot time and that is probably not available for your laptop. No software can get around a register that is locked.

i see ..btw..regarding my settings..all good? and the limit reasons no harm/issues if i continue using my settings?cpu temp while gaming around 70-75..that safe?or i need disable the turbo and BD Prochot to reduce the cpu temp...

Last edited:

unclewebb

Intel rates most of their CPUs to be able to run 100% reliably up to a core temperature of 100°C.
70°C to 75°C is perfectly safe.

BD PROCHOT is a throttling method. If your laptop is not using the BD PROCHOT signal path to throttle your CPU then there is no reason to use ThrottleStop to disable this. Limit Reasons will show BD PROCHOT near the top if your laptop uses this.

The Core i3 does not use Intel Turbo Boost so disabling this will not make any difference to your CPU speed.

Danez

Intel rates most of their CPUs to be able to run 100% reliably up to a core temperature of 100°C.
70°C to 75°C is perfectly safe.

BD PROCHOT is a throttling method. If your laptop is not using the BD PROCHOT signal path to throttle your CPU then there is no reason to use ThrottleStop to disable this. Limit Reasons will show BD PROCHOT near the top if your laptop uses this.

The Core i3 does not use Intel Turbo Boost so disabling this will not make any difference to your CPU speed.

sry my bad..correction regarding the BD PROCHOT...what i mean is i need to tick/untick the BD PROCHOT on throttlestop?as far i know..when untick BD prochot..that may increase laptop CPU temp..correct me if im wrong..

unclewebb

Your Limit Reasons screenshot does not show BD PROCHOT in yellow or red. That means that BD PROCHOT is not being used on your computer. If this is not causing any throttling problems, you can leave BD PROCHOT checked in ThrottleStop. Not all laptops use this throttling method. Most do not use BD PROCHOT.

On a computer that is throttling because of BD PROCHOT, Limit Reasons will look like this.

Red box means throttling is in progress. Yellow box means throttling happened after you turned on your computer.

Danez

Your Limit Reasons screenshot does not show BD PROCHOT in yellow or red. That means that BD PROCHOT is not being used on your computer. If this is not causing any throttling problems, you can leave BD PROCHOT checked in ThrottleStop. Not all laptops use this throttling method. Most do not use BD PROCHOT.

On a computer that is throttling because of BD PROCHOT, Limit Reasons will look like this.

Red box means throttling is in progress. Yellow box means throttling happened after you turned on your computer.

i see btw thanks so much bro for the explanation

yurikta

I'm having trouble with the app, it just won't open.
My cpu is locked at 0.79ghz and I need this app to remove this lock.
Can someone help me????

Intel core i3 3220 2.2GHZ

unclewebb

it just won't open
What antivirus program are you using? Windows Defender will sometimes put ThrottleStop on its bad list and will prevent it from opening without telling you anything about what it has done. Are you getting any sort of error message or no message at all? The free version of Avast does not have this problem. Every other antivirus program does not have a problem with ThrottleStop. Only Windows Defender sometimes complains.

Are you using Windows 10? What build? There are some Windows 10 safety features that can prevent ThrottleStop from running. The Windows 10 - Core Isolation Memory Integrity feature has to be disabled if you want to run ThrottleStop.

yurikta

I'm using the latest released version of Windows 10.
Starting ThrottleStop This Error Appears

unclewebb

bruno_9000

Thanks unclewebb and all others that helped, after searching and searching this was the final solution. Not only this incredible tool but the tips for running it inspite of the troubles of the dlls.
In my case it is a Dell inspiron i5 3rd gen that currently is running at 60°C and had this PROCHOT issue. But evidently some day may have reached a peak temperature that activated the throttle.

unclewebb

BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT are two different things. Which issue do you have?

Many Dell laptops have issues with BD PROCHOT. Using ThrottleStop to disable these throttling signals to the CPU seems to cause no harm and allows the CPU to run at its full rated speed like Intel intended.

If your CPU ever gets too hot it will activate PROCHOT. This is a different signal. The moment your CPU cools down 1°C, this type of throttling will end and the CPU will be allowed to go back up to full speed. This throttling problem is rarely an issue or even noticed. Very smooth. It is the BD PROCHOT one that you have to look out for. BD PROCHOT induced throttling is typically caused by a bad sensor and usually has nothing to do with the actual temperature of anything.

Glad to hear you dot the necessary drivers installed and got ThrottleStop working for you to solve your issue.

frddl

Hello everyone. I recently ran into the similar problem - my CPU was working with 0.40 ghz and the problem seems resolved after I removed the tick from BD PROCHOT signal.
However, Intel XTU shows me other two throttling types that my device is facing right now - Current/EDC Limit Throttling and Power Throttling.

I am very new to this type of issues and I would like to ask if something is wrong and if there is a way to fix it without any damage caused.
My device is Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 2018 edition with i5-8250U (MX150 GPU, if this information is needed).
EDP Other under the Ring and PL2 are blinking between red and yellow.

Posting everything that I think can be helpful.

Capture.PNG

fivr.png power limits.PNG c state.PNG

unclewebb

The yellow THERMAL box and the check mark beside the PROCHOT 96°C both indicate that your CPU has been doing some thermal throttling because the CPU reached at least 96°C.

BD PROCHOT is a signal path to your CPU. When a sensor anywhere on your motherboard or in your power adapter sends a signal down this line, the CPU instantly starts to throttle. It uses the same mechanism as thermal throttling which is why some software like Intel XTU might show you thermal throttling. In this case, that is not really true. The CPU is not too hot. It is often times a sensor, external to the CPU, that is causing this type of throttling. Without being an engineer at Xiaomi, I have no idea what sensor they hooked up to the BD PROCHOT line. Using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT will block these signals from getting to the CPU. This will allow it to run at full speed again. You will have to decide if doing that is a good thing.

It looks like you are running a BIOS version that has blocked CPU voltage control. Xiaomi started doing this with later BIOS versions. Do a Google search for your specific laptop model and you should be able to find more information. Being able to under volt a laptop is a good thing. Less voltage equals less power consumption and less heat. Your temperature related thermal throttling problem would probably be gone if you could do some under volting.

You need to understand that the 8250U is actually a 15 Watt processor. According to Intel, it has a TDP rating of 15 Watts.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8250u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

Some manufacturers decided to ignore this rating. When you try to run one of these CPUs at 25 Watts or beyond, the cooling system is often times not adequate to keep up with that level of power consumption. That is why you start seeing PL1 and PL2 flashing red and yellow in Limit Reasons when stress testing. This means the CPU is trying to use less wattage so it does not overheat.

In ThrottleStop, I would definitely be using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. To use this, click on the Install button to the right of that feature and follow the directions. You need to download a file from Mega and you need to install the file, RwDrv.sys into your ThrottleStop folder before checking the Disable option.

This feature can help give ThrottleStop more control over your turbo power limits. Your settings are 25 and 44. Run something like Cinebench R20 to load your CPU.

While this is running, watch Limit Reasons for any boxes turning red which indicates the reason your CPU is throttling. If your temperatures are OK, you can try increasing the turbo power limits. If your CPU is reaching the thermal throttling temperature, 96°C, you might have to lower these power limits.

If your C states screenshot above is when your CPU was idle then you really need to clean things up. When idle, CPU cores should be spending close to 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. With only ThrottleStop open, if you are seeing a lot less than 99% when idle, you should probably find out what is running in the background on your computer and consider getting rid of it.

If EDP OTHER throttling is a problem, try increasing the FIVR - CPU Core - IccMax value. Also try increasing the TPL - PP0 Current Limit. I set both of these sky high so they do not interfere with performance.

Last edited:

frddl

Thank you very much for a detailed answer.

In ThrottleStop, I would definitely be using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature.

Did that. Just run the benchmark using Cinebench - maxmimal value for temperature was 74 degrees, however PROCHOT 96% got a check mark right before the benchmark test ended.

If your C states screenshot above is when your CPU was idle then you really need to clean things up. When idle, CPU cores should be spending close to 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. With only ThrottleStop open, if you are seeing a lot less than 99% when idle, you should probably find out what is running in the background on your computer and consider getting rid of it.

I double checked that. During idle state they were indicating values from 94% to 98%.

If EDP OTHER throttling is a problem, try increasing the FIVR - CPU Core - IccMax value. Also try increasing the TPL - PP0 Current Limit. I set both of these sky high so they do not interfere with performance.

I increased the value before the Cinebench test, however both of the boxes kept switching from yellow to red and vice versa, but I did not notice that on idle state.

I did a little bit of googling for BIOS part and seems like my BIOS needs to be downgraded. I am not really confident about it as I am not sure if this will result in a working device or my BIOS will get bricked.

I am not confident about leaving the laptop with disabled BD PROCHOT signal. Is there anything I should be afraid of if I keep it?