• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i7 9750H

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@madseason - Looks like Dell has disabled CPU voltage control.

The latest version of ThrottleStop makes it clear when voltage control is disabled.

If this feature is important to you, try installing an older BIOS version. After you do that, go into the BIOS and look for the Reset to Factory option. That has worked for many users with various Dell laptops.

You can also disable this lock by editing some UEFI variables.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fzv599
@Empecial - You did not post any screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. No way for me to help you or make suggestions without seeing that info.

transcripto

i need help with my dell xps 7590. i just read all the explanations and tips but i still have issues with cpu clock speeds and frequencies. My cpu is stuck at 800mhz and I have not been able to find a solution. I have removed the battery, I have changed thermal paste and thermal pads, I have tried configurations on TP and Intel XTU, but nothing. I wish you could help me, I will share some screen.

I wish you could help this suffering soul u_u

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 86

unclewebb

I wish you could help this suffering soul
There are two things you can try. Go into the TPL window and check the Lock option in the Turbo Boost Power Limits section. After you do this, open the FIVR window and make sure that Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits is checked.

That will take care of two of your power limits. The problem is that there are three unique sets of turbo power limits. The third set is controlled internally. Dell is one of the few companies to use this third set of power limits. What your computer is doing is it is forcing one or both of the turbo limits to 0 or very close to 0. This causes constant power limit throttling. Either PL2 or PL1 will light up red in Limit reasons when this is happening. If it is the third set of power limits that is causing this, there is no magic that ThrottleStop can do. Intel XTU and ThrottleStop do not have access to this third set of limits.

If this is the case, the only likely fix is a new motherboard. You can try running on battery power or switching to a different power adapter. Something stupid like one 10 cent sensor has gone bad. Now your laptop is unusable. Thanks Dell. Great design.

transcripto

There are two things you can try. Go into the TPL window and check the Lock option in the Turbo Boost Power Limits section. After you do this, open the FIVR window and make sure that Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits is checked.

That will take care of two of your power limits. The problem is that there are three unique sets of turbo power limits. The third set is controlled internally. Dell is one of the few companies to use this third set of power limits. What your computer is doing is it is forcing one or both of the turbo limits to 0 or very close to 0. This causes constant power limit throttling. Either PL2 or PL1 will light up red in Limit reasons when this is happening. If it is the third set of power limits that is causing this, there is no magic that ThrottleStop can do. Intel XTU and ThrottleStop do not have access to this third set of limits.

If this is the case, the only likely fix is a new motherboard. You can try running on battery power or switching to a different power adapter. Something stupid like one 10 cent sensor has gone bad. Now your laptop is unusable. Thanks Dell. Great design.
I'm crying :c

What do u think about this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/a27e1l

unclewebb

What do u think about this thread:
Give it a try and see if it fixes your problem.

I have read that if you have checked the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in ThrottleStop, you no longer have to disable the DPTF driver. Try disabling it and see if it makes any difference. Your laptop is already broken. Hard to make it run worse than it runs now.

budafuko

i dont want to read all the posts but your PL1/PL2 should not be set to 32 respectively. the long power max should be clamped at 75 and the short power max should be unclamped at 100

tojemojeime24

Hello guys, so I am actually the guy who started this topic year and a half ago (HELIOS 300 - PH315-52 (i7-9750H)), and after 1st week of being here I forgot about it :/
I was playing CS:GO without using TS for couple of months and temps were not going over 83-86C and one day after driver or windows update it made my temps go to 92-94
I downloaded TS again and set some basic stuff how I remembered but I dont think I did it correctly.

So what exactly happens to me, while my temps are 90+if I turn TS on it makes them lower but my FPS goes down so hard and it becomes unplayable (I mean not that bad but from 300+FPS to around 100-150)- Also I found out that "Turn on" button does basically nothing because when I open TS it automatically does its thing, regardless of being on/off... SO what here should I change and why does my FPS crahses so hard once again? :)

1644453459714.png

1644453492122.png
1644453504636.png

unclewebb

@tojemojeime24 - The version of ThrottleStop you are using is more than 3 years old. Start by downloading an updated version.

Gaming oriented laptops need regular maintenance. When was the last time you opened up your laptop and cleaned out the heatsink and fan? Have you ever looked at the thermal paste and replaced that? When your CPU temperatures start going up, this is a good first step to find out why.

Setting Speed Shift EPP to 128 can reduce maximum performance. I would suggest setting EPP no higher than 84.

I found out that "Turn on" button does basically nothing
ThrottleStop can be used to adjust the majority of Intel CPUs that have been produced during the last 15 years. The Turn On - Turn Off button only controls the clock modulation and set multiplier functions. You are not using either of those features so you are right, the Turn On button is not needed for your laptop.

Update ThrottleStop and post some new pictures. Include the Options window. If the PROCHOT Offset feature is not locked, you can decrease the PROCHOT Offset value which raises the thermal throttling temperature. Your laptop is set to thermal throttle at 92°C which is too low compared to the Intel recommended 100°C value.

When you update ThrottleStop, delete all of the WinRing0 related driver files. The WinRing0 driver is no longer used with the latest version of ThrottleStop.

Here is a new thread for ThrottleStop related discussions.

There is piles of useful information in that thread. I am sure there is some information in there about setting up a 9750H. Most users get their best results when they set the CPU core offset to a bigger number compared to the CPU cache. If the cache offset is stable at -100 mV, the core offset might be stable at -175 mV. There is no requirement to set these two offset voltages equal to each other.

Set IccMax for the core and the cache to the maximum value, 255.75. This tells the CPU to ignore this setting which helps avoid any throttling.

In the new ThrottleStop version, the PP0 Current Limit is now called Power Limit 4. It is just a different name for the same thing. You have this limit set to 130 which is OK. I prefer to set this limit to 0 so the CPU avoids using this.

The rest of your settings look OK. I think the biggest problem is that your laptop is overdue for a spring cleaning. Post a ThrottleStop log file that includes about 15 minutes of gaming. This will help me see if there are any problems.

Newer BIOS versions usually disable CPU voltage control so avoid updating your BIOS.