• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

undervolting not working

mNiosu

So hit "Restore Settings" button next to exit, select "Factory Setting" then OK.
Exit will restart your system. Hit F2 to get back in BIOS. Make your settings and don't forget to uncheck "Enable UEFI..." under Security-> UEFI Capsule... sub-menu. Apply and exit.
Undervolt should work in Windows now.

PS: some users on Reddit report that is enough to do the factory reset in BIOS without downgrading on most systems. Seems that idiot Dell engineers forgot to set the lock for the bios factory load config.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
PS: some users on Reddit report that is enough to do the factory reset in BIOS without downgrading on most systems. Seems that idiot Dell engineers forgot to set the lock for the bios factory load config.
If you had taken the time to read some threads here, you would have seen that has already been noted in posts here.
I prefer not to lower myself to Reddit standards.

Philiplk

So hit "Restore Settings" button next to exit, select "Factory Setting" then OK.
Exit will restart your system. Hit F2 to get back in BIOS. Make your settings and don't forget to uncheck "Enable UEFI..." under Security-> UEFI Capsule... sub-menu. Apply and exit.
Undervolt should work in Windows now.

View attachment 155521
View attachment 155522
Thank you so much it worked for me. Now I'm able to undervolt my cpu again but there is one last problem, after I did this my cpu do not accept temperatures above 80 degress. Did it happen to you as well?

cgregoryou

Sorry to revive a month-old thread.

@unclewebb I have an ASUS GL504GW, i7-8750H, and was able to undervolt with my previous BIOS 305. I upgraded to 306 which came out earlier this month and FIVR is now locked. I downgraded my BIOS back to 305 and it freezes when I reboot into Windows. It does freeze when I boot into Safe Mode after downgrading so something in the OS in normal mode is loading on boot conflicting with the old BIOS.

The mcupdate_genuineintel.dll files that I have are all march 2019 and nothing was updated. Can you think of anything else causing my issue? I can still lower my boost speed to keep temps down but I'd prefer to do that in conjunction with undervolting.

Thanks!

Edit: My BIOS doesn't have options to reset anything other than default settings.

Last edited:

BikeHelmet

Did you reset to defaults? You should always reset to default settings after downgrading a BIOS, or face possible issues.

If safemode won't let you in, that gets really awkward. Only two possibilities here - one, something is very messed up. (Good Luck) Two, you've got a coincidental other problem. If you can get to the recovery command prompt, perhaps run chkdsk, sfc, etc.; see if any corrupt system files are found? Coincidental problems can be annoying, as you waste time having no success trying to resolve what you think it is, only to discover a second problem later - that you perhaps could've solved in a half hour if you were looking for it.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Remove Throttlestop, reboot then install the new version.

cgregoryou

Did you reset to defaults? You should always reset to default settings after downgrading a BIOS, or face possible issues.

If safemode won't let you in, that gets really awkward. Only two possibilities here - one, something is very messed up. (Good Luck) Two, you've got a coincidental other problem. If you can get to the recovery command prompt, perhaps run chkdsk, sfc, etc.; see if any corrupt system files are found? Coincidental problems can be annoying, as you waste time having no success trying to resolve what you think it is, only to discover a second problem later - that you perhaps could've solved in a half hour if you were looking for it.

My apologies. I mistyped that. Safe mode WILL boot properly but upgrade back to the new 306 after rebooting.

When you say "reset to defaults," the only options in my BIOS are to restore settings and it asks if I want to restore optimized defaults so it's just turning back on the boot sound and wake on lid open. Is there another setting? I see what others will Dell's have and I don't seem to have that option.

I'll play around again later this evening. I stopped trying a couple nights ago after every potential fix failed.

BikeHelmet

Oh, okay. If safemode will work, then it's likely just a piece of software causing issues. Have to try toggling off what runs until you can boot regular windows.

I would still reset to defaults in the BIOS. You may only be able to configure 2 things, but the reset wipes far more settings that are inaccessible to the user. An old BIOS won't have the understanding of what new settings mean, so it will usually cause problems unless you reset to defaults. After resetting, go back in and configure whatever you wish... boot sound and wake on lid open, I guess.

cgregoryou

Oh, okay. If safemode will work, then it's likely just a piece of software causing issues. Have to try toggling off what runs until you can boot regular windows.

I would still reset to defaults in the BIOS. You may only be able to configure 2 things, but the reset wipes far more settings that are inaccessible to the user. An old BIOS won't have the understanding of what new settings mean, so it will usually cause problems unless you reset to defaults. After resetting, go back in and configure whatever you wish... boot sound and wake on lid open, I guess.

I haven't messed with anything at boot. Will try that later as well.

There are more options but those are the only 2 that I change. I assumed it reset my BIOS settings upon flashing because the only 2 settings I change go back to default of being on.

I'll look at my boot sequence as well as resetting my BIOS after downgrading later tonight and POST my results.

Remove Throttlestop, reboot then install the new version.

I thought Throttlestop was a standalone executable. What does removing it do? Can't I just open the new downloaded exe after rebooting?

I keep a pretty slim startup app and service list so I have a "selective startup" on msconfig but I decided to go into boot settings and select the boot log option to see where the boot hangs. Upon doing so, it unchecked the "Use original boot configuration" option on the general tab. I rebooted with those boot options selected and proceeded to downgrade my BIOS. It booted into Windows with fingers crosses and I am back on 305 with 0xB4 µCode (306 brings it to 0xD2) and no FIVR lock. I don't shut down or reboot too often as I hibernate mostly so I will try rebooting sooner or later and update if it works after that. I don't want to reboot and settings to get messed up but I am undervolting and lowering my boost clocks to 3.2GHz and my temps are staying about 10*C cooler than just lowering boost clocks and about 20* cooler than full clock and voltage.