• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS's - Does anyone use them for the main rig or their networking kit or something else??

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Hi all :)

Just a random question for you, I was wondering about getting a UPS for my homeserver, router and network switch for home and I was just curious if anyone else here has done or is thinking of (plus all the in betweenness) done the same etc.
My server at home contains all of the important things like childrens photo's, documents and all that kind of jazz, but does anyone protect theirs?? If you do, which UPS did you buy and why?

If you do, don't or are thinking about it like myself, please do let me know below and why/what drove you to the choice :)

Massive thanks as always for your input :)

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Millions of people have done this. And started decades ago when prices of consumer grade UPSes became reasonable in the Nineties.

I currently have three APC Back-UPS units in my house hosting a variety of different equipment (including DSL gateway/router, Ethernet hubs, computers, etc.). One unit mostly hosts the networking gear. My electricity is quite stable but a handful of times a year there's an outage long enough that would restart the DSL router connection, an annoyance.

If you have modern home security gadgets that rely on wifi networking (e.g., smart doorbell, baby video monitors, security cameras), you might consider putting your broadband gear on a UPS.

Another unit has an exceptionally light load but my phone's charger is plugged into one of the battery backup plugs. Even if the power goes out my phone won't stop charging and the UPS will protect again electrical incidents that might fry a phone charger. I consider my phone to be my most valuable electronic device in my house based on all of the private data it contains. It doesn't need an enterprise class UPS, a basic consumer model is quite sufficient.

My guess is that these three APC units range from 6-8 years old.

When I owned a cordless telephone in the 1990s and early 2000s, the base station was plugged into the battery backup outlet because without power the entire cordless system is useless.

There are other things that are no longer on a UPS. Maybe 15 years ago I had my home theater setup on a UPS. These days I don't bother, all of my A/V equipment lives on high quality surge protection strips. If the power goes out I can entertain myself with my iPad until the power is restored.

My current printer has wireless networking so it's not near any computers. I see no reason to put it on a UPS; I print so infrequently that I can wait until the power is restored. Way back when I had a printer wired to a computer, it was only natural to plug it into one of the non-battery backup outlets on a UPS.

I also have a fairly new CyberPower unit for my two primary productivity computers: a Mac mini 2018 (and a bunch of external HDDs) and my NZXT H1 (Windows 10 PC). Again an Ethernet hub and a monitor are also on this UPS. I don't need this UPS to provide power for hours and hours of operation, just 10-15 minutes to finish up what I'm doing and shut down the gear gracefully. The Mac mini 2018 runs 24x7 (and draws very little power while idle) so it's the computer that is connected to the UPS; it'll shut itself off with 5% battery remaining. The Windows PC is only on when I'm at home and awake.

There are a couple of gaming computers that aren't currently on UPSes.

I've had at least one UPS in my house since the mid-Nineties (the first one was an APC Back-UPS Pro). Over the decades I've replaced and added more (always on sale) when my needs have increased to a point where another unit is desirable. I typically change the batteries at least once but once a unit reaches its ten year anniversary I figure it doesn't owe me anything.

It's each person's decision weighing the costs and benefits (protection of valuable data, hardware protection, continuous uptime, etc.). Prices have come down slightly in the 25+ years I've owned UPSes but they are actually way cheaper now because of inflation.

And with LED lightbulbs it's feasible to plug a couple of lamps into the battery backup outlets of a UPS during a power outage so you don't have to sit around in the dark. With the power-hungry incandescent bulbs, your UPS would be completely drained real quick.

With each passing month, there are more and more reasons for the typical modern household to have at least one reliable UPS even if it's not hosting a big fat power chugging gaming PC.

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I do not. I have thought about it though....

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

Just a random question for you, I was wondering about getting a UPS for my homeserver, router and network switch for home and I was just curious if anyone else here has done or is thinking of (plus all the in betweenness) done the same etc.
My server at home contains all of the important things like childrens photo's, documents and all that kind of jazz, but does anyone protect theirs?? If you do, which UPS did you buy and why?

If you do, don't or are thinking about it like myself, please do let me know below and why/what drove you to the choice :)

Hey phil, I've got a BR1500MS from APC for the past 2 years and a bit. The grid is better this year but in previous years the power would go out basically with every storm.

I would never go back to being UPS-less. At the 1500VA (~1300W ish) segment, I honestly think everyone should have either a APC BR1500MS or Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD or equivalent region specific models, both are solid units and sinewave. We can get into a whole debate about whether it's really necessary but why worry when you can just pay a bit more for a sinewave unit and end of.

UPS also responds to brownouts and other out-of-voltage spec situations (you can hear it clicking on and off). Just be aware that the "AVR" voltage regulation is just very simple and rough OVP/UVP, not another fancy Seasonic for your computer :D

For APC you can plug the data cable into your computer and monitor your UPS stats right from HWInfo (big fan), or you can use their software (not a fan). I'm sure Cyberpower has similar.

I will say though, don't look at the ratings and say "wow that's a lot of wattage". In a blackout that capacity goes away FAST, exponentially so with more load. The UPS is only there for you to save your work ASAP and shutdown safely, then with remaining capacity provide power/charge essential devices like your phone if they run low (for which case it will pretty much run forever).

So definitely shut down that server as soon as safely possible in a blackout. I once was out of the house for a blackout and came back to find that my UPS had been powering my 5900X for the past 1.5 hours and was on its last legs...........if you actually need continuous power all the way through a blackout, you'll either need to shell out $$$$$ for a commercial UPS and/or get a generator.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I only have one for my Server. It just shuts the server down appropriately when I lose power. CyberPower 1325 810 w

It has a USB connector to the server. My home built TrueNAS get a signal to shut down when the UPS loses power

I have had it for at least 5 years, I've replaced the batteries one time I think it was like $40

Last year I lost power for 4 days. After it shut down it powered my phone and a few lights for the 4 days I was out. Quite handy

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

My whole home businesses computer system is backed by Tripp-lite UPS's of various models. Most of the workstations are SMARTLCDT 1500VA models which are technically PWM UPS's but they function fine with most any quality (as in, not complete garbage) Power Supply I use them with despite the myth. The laptop workstations will run on those for an hour or so, but most Desktops get around 30 minutes. They use easy to replace SLA batteries and I've been using them for years.

The server runs on a true Sine Wave UPS because it powers a few things sensitive to PWM (printers, which have motors etc). It is a model SMC1500T that uses 3 (not two) of the same SLA batteries for slightly increased runtime.

None of these are the cheapest UPSes on the market, not by a long shot. However, I've had great luck with Tripp Lite over the years personally. The biggest issue I ever had with them was a faulty USB controller on early SMART1500LCDT units but they fixed that promptly with replacements and they have nice, American based tech support that'll work with you on any product defects should there (heaven forbid). be any.

Links to products if curious.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
no idea why i should have one...
i asked my parents when we had the last power outage. they responded with "never" (my dad is almost 80, my mom 70)

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I still use a pure sine wave one on my main rig. Though I don't use any in the rest of the home, partially due to not replacing them as they fail over time. We have solar with powerwalls so UPS have become redundant.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
We have great power out here but strangely enough there was a short glitch this afternoon; I have some old Sine Wave APC UPSs that await new batteries and I may try lithium batteries in them. I suspect the growing popularity of electric vehicles will put a greater load on the grid and there may be more problems before they strengthen the system.

If so, I will put a UPS on my Wife's desktop but not on the network.

But if you want to protect photos and documents, a backup is the way to go, not a UPS.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I don't lose power often, but short circuits can be frequent because of all our areas above ground wiring. And nothing is more frustrating than losing power for 2 seconds right before you save...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Rack mount UPS for my cluster.

UPS for me and my wifes desktops.

Smaller UPS for the ONT (fiber terminal).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I have 5 UPSes in my office. One for secondary network gear(the gigabit stiff), one for 10Gbe equipment and firewall, one for server and 24-bay HDD enclosure, one for encoding computer, and finally one for my main rig.
Then I have one more UPS in the livingroom for my TV and HTPC. And another UPS in the bedroom for the TV and HTPC in there.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Attachments

• Isobar Ultra.jpg
    Isobar Ultra.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 60

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have 5 UPSes in my office. One for secondary network gear(the gigabit stiff), one for 10Gbe equipment and firewall, one for server and 24-bay HDD enclosure, one for encoding computer, and finally one for my main rig.
Then I have one more UPS in the livingroom for my TV and HTPC. And another UPS in the bedroom for the TV and HTPC in there.

Yep same here mate, I UPS everything that is expensive. Better safe than sorry.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Getting paid a bit extra for hosting a mail server in my home rack qualifies? :D

But on the serious note, I've been using UPS for this type of stuff for many years. Back at my old place all of the networking gear was on a separate 800VA unit, so even if there was a 4-hour outage - I still had internet. When I moved to my new apartment - I specifically asked for "fiber-to-residence" because of that. CAT5 would've been much cheaper, but in case of outage I won't be in control of whether my internet is up.
I have a second small 800VA unit for my server rack, but I'm thinking of expanding to a proper big-ass rackmount UPS(quad-cell), since I've already added 2 more servers to my collection.
Ironically the only piece of gear not on UPS is my precious main PC (which bit me in the ass already)... but I'll get to that eventually.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
i asked my parents when we had the last power outage. they responded with "never" (my dad is almost 80, my mom 70)
The reality is, backup power in the event of a power outage is just a "minor", little extra bonus reason for having a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). It is the AVR that makes having a good UPS so important. The AVR protects and compensates for minor anomalies without kicking over to batteries. For excessive anomalies - including low voltage anomalies, the UPS will use the batteries as necessary. And remember, destructive surges and spikes do not always originate off the grid. A malfunctioning appliance in the house can introduce destructive anomalies on the home circuits too.

I've had all my computers on a good UPS for nearly 30 years. I use mostly APC but have also used Cyberpower and Tripp Lite. I also have an UPS on my home theater system, the garage door opener, and even the electric blanket! In fact, I still have my very first UPS, an APC SmartUPS 900. It is in the garage for the door opener. It's in there because it has been humming for the last 5 years or so - plus it is that old, ugly beige. It has been through about 5 sets of batteries - but it keeps on running. :)

Don't worry about getting a pure sinewave UPS - you don't need one. If you find one at a competitive price, fine. Just don't think it must be a pure sinewave to protect your computer or network gear. That's another one of those myths perpetrated by the pure sinewave UPS makers.

I do recommend getting a decent size. I would recommend 1500VA. It is NOT that you need that much. The problem is, the better features appear on the bigger UPS. But should you have a full power outage, the bigger UPS will provide you longer battery run time. This can be important since you are planning on protecting your network gear too. Should you have a full outage, and quickly shutdown your server, power off the monitor (if not headless), a big UPS will keep your network alive - perhaps for even a few hours. This is nice as your mobile computers (notebooks, cell phones, etc.) will still have Internet access. So will your VoIP phone, if you have that.

Rack UPS are nice but note that many do not have user replaceable batteries. You want that as UPS SLA batteries need to be replaced every 2 - 5 years, depending on how they are used. And FTR, I never, as in NEVER EVER buy replacement batteries from the UPS maker. There are several sites that sell the same SLA batteries for MUCH less - including Amazon.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Things happen. Over the years I've had my share of outages for hundreds of reasons, both in Ukraine and abroad.
Few times a transformer station blew up (lightning, overheating, lack of maintenance). Once we had local junkies fried while trying to steal copper from a nearby transformer booth.
Wires getting ripped by snow, ice, wind, billboard maintainers, or very fat pigeons. "Scheduled" outages due to powerline maintenance/upgrades/etc.
I guess you are the luckiest person in the world, or you have the most competent power company ))))

System Name sleeper Compaq
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 7 X, Nexus D12SL-12
Memory PNY XLR8 Gaming 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX750Ti GDDR5 2GB
Storage XPG SX6000 Lite 128 M.2 NVMe, Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Sony 32" bravia
Case Compaq SR5700 series
Audio Device(s) Samsung Pleomax S2-500B 2.1. Sennheiser hp.
Power Supply SilverStone 500W Strider Essential ST50F-ES230 V2.0
Mouse Logitech G1
Keyboard Logitech 350
Software Win11 Home
Rule of the thumb, do not forget to have backups of relevant stuff and "mission critical" data stored so that you can access and restore your items.
Now even more important due to the amount of data many have pushed&stored into the cloud. It may not be there just when you need it.
Sooner or later something is going to fail and you will have to sort it out, to just think that UPS will do the job is a bit over-positive.
For home use I have not seen a need for UPS, power grid has been working well, but there are other places that definitely benefit to have a bit of buffer.

Nah, it's just your German grid. It's very reliable (well, if you live in an area where it's reliable - not everywhere, unfortunately)

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Use for my main PC and wifi AP, also pfsense router connected, PS5, Xbox and main monitor.

I did also buy a small cheap UPS for my modem in other room, and fair to say when people talk about quality difference they not wrong, when I had a power cut the modem power cycled.

I still plan to get a second UPS for my spare machine which is going to be used as my NAS, sadly UPS prices have gone through the roof and I am still debating if I am ok with a stepped sinewave for it (my old stepped sinewave worked fine for me before on main PC but for some reason I am hesitant).

When my old UPS batteries died I threw it away but given I now need a second, I wish I kept it now and just replaced the batteries.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 that was headed to the junk at work. Actually two of them were and I was able to build one good one out of them, purchase a $35 battery and that covers my PC, headphone amp, and monitors, which has been useful in outages before for up to an hour (not gaming). Power load ranges from around 170W web browsing and tops out at about 450W-ish while gaming.

I have an APC Smart-UPS 1500 for my servers, also got two of them from work that were on the way to the trash. One had a battery, one didn't. The one that came with the battery made it just about 2-years before it gave up the ghost about 2-weeks ago. I moved the faceplate PCB and battery over to the empty one, and the battery itself is about shot now...but much more $$ to replace so we're just kinda taking it easy for now, lol. Normal power load is around 180-200W, sometimes up to 250-300W under load.

Lastly, I have a CyberPower 1000PCFLCD I purchased almost 5-years ago for my network gear, that being my pfSense box, HP 24-port 1gbps switch (Layer-2 semi-managed, non-PoE), Hitron Cable modem (Charter's), and Asus AC68U as an AP. Consumes about 54-60W on average. Has held up great, going strong, I'm even able to keep an eye on it and get alerts via monitoring with my pfSense.

It has been nice to have in those power outage situations, especially 1-2 years ago when everything would stay up for an hour or so. We would mute the alerts and could watch a show from the media server or still browse the Internet or stream Netflix if the ISP didn't get taken out with power. Also nice because even when the battery is toast, you get at least some "filtering" of the electricity going to your devices, more stable than direct from the wall or surge strip. But still nice to have batteries that can last and to get a big enough UPS to last long enough to be useful.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I have an APC - 950 and it helped through a number of brown outs and black outs in past residences, so far where I currently reside I've had no issue with power.
I was on a Skype call once when the power cut out, but I was able to continue and end the call as I had the router and my computer system connected through the UPS, that was a weird feeling knowing everything else in the neighborhood had no power and it was black outside.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I've been using them with my main rig forever. Actually just upgraded the APC 1500va unit i originally bought for my main rig to a pure sinewave Cyberpower 1000va last year because of its age. I try to remember to replace the batteries every 5 or 6 years, $30-$35 a pair. It still works fine i just wanted the new fangled stuff to play with :D The APC is now hooked up to my pc workbench gear and backup rig. Ive also got 2 smaller sinewave Cyberpowers 600va for the bedroom and livingroom gear due to paranoia more than anything. Altho I'm really glad I got them as we had our power go out for the first time in 10 years, 3 weeks ago. They gave me plenty of time to turn everything thing off properly. That alone made me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I have always wanted to ask about your solar array and such, but have never seen an appropriate place. Do you use batteries in your setup, or micro-inverters and grid-tied? In other words, if the "mains" power goes out, does your house go dark, too? You could configure the ultimate UPS, relatively easily.

Personally, I have a small 70 watt 8ah Schneider APC for ONT and router. The new Nokia ONT is a twitchy bitch. The slightest flash will reboot it. The router is a bit more forgiving. I also have a Tripp-lite inverter/charger I *might* be able to configure into an UPS. I must RTM, at some point.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I have always wanted to ask about your solar array and such, but have never seen an appropriate place. Do you use batteries in your setup, or micro-inverters and grid-tied? In other words, if the "mains" power goes out, does your house go dark, too? You could configure the ultimate UPS, relatively easily.
Solar panel systems w/o batteries are tied to the grid so when power goes out you lose power to everything, panels too. I'm not a huge PV geek but essentially the power company does not see you as a power generator. Systems w/o batteries cannot sell excess power back to the grid.

By adding batteries you get classed as a power generator and can now sell excess power back to the grid. Beyond this there are a lot of benefits to batteries and capturing the excess generated power. In our case we take advantage of our time of use plan, and do not use grid power except late at night when power is at its cheapest and it is generally the periods where we use the least energy, except when charging our ev.

The crux is when there is max sun, the system charges the batteries first, then it sends power to the grid. When the sun runs out it then switches to the batteries till it drains them to our reserve point of 35%. That 35% will come online if the grid goes down. In our case 35% is about enough to get us thru the night till morning. Voila nothing spoils in the fridge and ice is still ice.

Regarding Powerwalls as UPS, technically they are not UPS but more like a generator. However in the real world sometimes I see a flash in the lights but often times we don't even know that the main power is down. Recently like a few weeks ago the main breaker died and we lost power. I would not have even known had I not habitually check the app to see how much power is going where. It's kind of made me insane in that way always checking how much consumption etc and whose being a power guzzler lol.