• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega Frontier Ed Beats TITAN Xp in Compute, Formidable Game Performance: Preview

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
But when AMD makes optimized games, they just optimize their own stuff. When NVIDIA does it, it's optimize their own and actively nerf the competition.

No, quite wrong, Gameworks pisses off everyone.

Though to be fair that's due to lazy implementation. And you can turn GW features off in most sensible titles.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Don't forget it's up to them to prove to us, not us to have faith in them or make excuses for them.

Think about it, if they make fantastic sales by not being quite as good as their competition, then what's to motivate them to beat their competition?

Because they are not beating the competition right now?
Gotta have revenue to develop better tech, and Nvidia and Intel have a LOT more revenue and Intel is doing nothing with it due to no competition.
So invest in AMD, so they have revenue to develop more to compete with what Intel is finally bringing out as a reaction to Ryzen and Nvidia.

El_Diablo

Am i the only one who can see that this card totally whoops the nVidia Quadro cards?
look at these figures
this is the quadro score
its rendered at 1900x1060
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...09e43f7b822f3d22f5dd8289aca764333820b236c.png

this is vega score renderd at 4K but in a window off 1900x1060
vega totally reks the nvidia gpus

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Here are the Quadro results.

Even the Maxwell based card beats this in compute. So on hardware level, the pro drivers make Maxwell better than Vega. Obviously the 6000 range is teh Gx100 (or GX200) core but either way, this M6000 has only got 3072 core count (1000 less than VEGA).

Not sure what RTG are getting at. Titan x/p/xp ali-docious has always been a stupidly expensive gaming card with a limited appeal for compute. We all know that. If you want to show your compute prowess, use the M125 card, not Vega FE. I assume RTG feel the FE is the same as the Titan (i.e. a rip off for the consumer), if so, welcome to the club RTG/AMD, you're about to piss off your fans.

You folks do understand now don't you? This is AMD's Titan card. And they'll charge you for it heavily, just like Nvidia do. So, do we expect all those who vehemently denegrated Nvidia for their pricing are going to come out and have a shot at AMD???

The black shoe called pot is on the other kettle foot now. Or something.

Considering they said It's made for compute its little suprise that it falls behind in gaming, Raj or whoever at RTG even said that. Its meant for oil exploration and real time modeling meaning there are checks in place and forced high accuracy. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Nvidia losing performance with HDR tuned on as it forces their whole pipeline to use 16 bit or higher color and calculations, but AMD is seeing no performance penalty? My 7970 plays HDR enabled with no loss that I have noticed.

Processor 4690K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Cooling CRYORIG H7
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury, DDRS 1600MH2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
Storage Lots
Display(s) 24" Predator GN246HL, 1080p, 144Hz
Case Phanteks P300
Power Supply Corsair CX650
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 1/0 0.o
"well should the TDP be an indication of actual power consumption, then this..."victory" is really not all that impressive" then sure.
But you just say "hey it uses a lot of power, its not looking good" which is just in no way linked to this comparison at all.

TDP is an indicator of consumption. Remember Fermi ? Most enthusiast gamers don't want a jet engine in their case and that's why my first post is still valid.

El_Diablo

Considering they said It's made for compute its little suprise that it falls behind in gaming, Raj or whoever at RTG even said that. Its meant for oil exploration and real time modeling meaning there are checks in place and forced high accuracy. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Nvidia losing performance with HDR tuned on as it forces their whole pipeline to use 16 bit or higher color and calculations, but AMD is seeing no performance penalty? My 7970 plays HDR enabled with no loss that I have noticed.
My fury x performs fine.
ran it in 12bit color for nearly 2 years now. have not noticed any difference in fps

Vega is going to be fast, but theres somuch misinformation out there

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yikes... no comment on the actual article but... this misinfomation is killing me, lol!
ermmm that has nothing to do with anything in this article... and again, tdp is not the same as actual power consumption.
If I put 10 8-pin connectors on an RX480 the TPD will be through the roof, consumption however stays the same.

but yeah, stop posting unrelated stuff.
And TDP has nothing to do with how many power connectors are on a card. TDP is more closely related to board power than the number of power leads on the card..

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

Having bought a £2300 HDR 4k LG OLED last year and having very few things to actually watch (even now) on HDR, I really dont care too much. I also only game on an LED Dell monitor I bought in 2011 (U2711b) for £550 (top end back then). I can genuinely say that HDR is good but on a good TV (mine for example), HD at 1080p from a good source (blu-ray) is not that different from 4k HDR (from a good source, UHD Blu Ray).

So I couldnt tell you how Pascal fares on HDR and I wouldn't be willing to shell out the cash for a better monitor. Always about the hardware.... And the LG is too slow for gaming.

FWIW, HDR is really, really a PR product so far with very little support. Give it a few years...

EDIT: streaming HDR at 4k is also not that great - poor compression even on Netflix and Amazon. An HD Blu ray still looks better than streamed UHD (where i live anyway). I do also own a UHD Blu Ray player and the UHD discs are far superior to 4k streamed, but not so much better than HD discs.

D

Deleted member 172152

Funny thing is, AMD compares it's Vega FE to Quadro price wise, even though an 800$ Quadro P4000 wipes the floor with Vega FE. Another funny thing, AMD displaying fps on Vega demos a year ago with Doom and Battlefront demos, and then Sniper Elite 4 fps on Vega FE, but suddenly when TitanXP is in the room fps counters are gone! Yeah total product confidence alright!
It's a more "pro" titan Xp competitor, so more work and less play, but still by no means a quadro competitor (although it wil fair well in most quadro applications probably). For prosumers it's a bloody good card, though!

You define 'bloody good' as performance we don't know and power rumored to be 300 and 375w?

Damn I wish I was selling products to people these days... :roll:

D

Deleted member 172152

You define 'bloody good' as performance we don't know and power rumored to be 300 and 375w?

Damn I wish I was selling products to people these days... :roll:
TDP's of 300W and 375W, probably more like 250W and 300W power usage. We have at least had a few benchmarks, enough to see vega FE can hold its own for its usecase at its pricepoint. Unless you mostly use nvidia optimized software or want more "pro" than a "prosumer" card can give you, vega FE is pretty good.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Nvidia losing performance with HDR tuned on as it forces their whole pipeline to use 16 bit or higher color and calculations, but AMD is seeing no performance penalty? My 7970 plays HDR enabled with no loss that I have noticed.
FYI: All current games do fragment processing in fp32, which in the end is downsampled into the final framebuffer. Games are already doing HDR internally, but have been using tone mapping until now. Using HDR output should not have a negative impact on performance.

El_Diablo

Having bought a £2300 HDR 4k LG OLED last year and having very few things to actually watch (even now) on HDR, I really dont care too much. I also only game on an LED Dell monitor I bought in 2011 (U2711b) for £550 (top end back then). I can genuinely say that HDR is good but on a good TV (mine for example), HD at 1080p from a good source (blu-ray) is not that different from 4k HDR (from a good source, UHD Blu Ray).

So I couldnt tell you how Pascal fares on HDR and I wouldn't be willing to shell out the cash for a better monitor. Always about the hardware.... And the LG is too slow for gaming.

FWIW, HDR is really, really a PR product so far with very little support. Give it a few years...

EDIT: streaming HDR at 4k is also not that great - poor compression even on Netflix and Amazon. An HD Blu ray still looks better than streamed UHD (where i live anyway). I do also own a UHD Blu Ray player and the UHD discs are far superior to 4k streamed, but not so much better than HD discs.

too slow?
22ms is fine for gaming for me
human reaction time is around 300-500ms anyway

HDR= higher bit per color
thats supposed to eleminate color banding
so anything under blueray and advertised in hdr is not worth it

TDP's of 300W and 375W, probably more like 250W and 300W power usage. We have at least had a few benchmarks, enough to see vega FE can hold its own for its usecase at its pricepoint. Unless you mostly use nvidia optimized software or want more "pro" than a "prosumer" card can give you, vega FE is pretty good.
Never saw board power be so much less than the TDP... we have seen business uses, not games... or at least not games that are highly optimized for AMD in the first place. Its more pro than consumer.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

When in the history of AMD have they released a GPU that offered substantially lower power usage vs TDP?

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Meh, too late imo.

Even though I love Radeon graphics I just snagged a second reference 1080 Ti for like 550€, guess I'm fine for a couple of years.

Was there compute benches somewhere? I only see specviewperf(d3d11,ogl) and cinebench R15(ogl), neither benchmarks compute performance.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
TDP is an indicator of consumption. Remember Fermi ? Most enthusiast gamers don't want a jet engine in their case and that's why my first post is still valid.

Im not saying its not an indicator.
Im saying the framing of the comment is just off.
Unless you add reason for suddenly talking about power consumption of either card, its a random new variable that is not mentioned/present in the Article.
The article is purely comparing the performance is a set of tests between the two cards.

I mean you might as well start talking about the colors of the card, or how convenient it is to fit one in your case, or store availability.
Unless you also provide context like I did in my example, it has nothing to do with the article and thus is unrelated.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Because they are not beating the competition right now?
Gotta have revenue to develop better tech, and Nvidia and Intel have a LOT more revenue and Intel is doing nothing with it due to no competition.
So invest in AMD, so they have revenue to develop more to compete with what Intel is finally bringing out as a reaction to Ryzen and Nvidia.
Well, I'll let you do that investing then!

The situation's a bit of a catch 22 really, because they need the money for R&D and we need to look after our interests by buying the best products at the time which may not be AMD. It's up to them to find the money some other way, perhaps with loans, investments etc. The kind of thing that highly paid corporate accountants are good at. ;)

No, they're not beating Intel on IPC unfortunately, which means that games run faster on Intel and that's an important selling feature that will directly affect their sales. There's loads of reviews out there that show this, including a couple on TPU.

No, quite wrong, Gameworks pisses off everyone.

Though to be fair that's due to lazy implementation. And you can turn GW features off in most sensible titles.

Not picking on you but there is really no reason to be lazy. Especially when Nvidia is sponsoring and has gone on the record on several tech interviews (print and video) via Tom Petersen (PCPerspective) saying they send a team of GameWorks tech engineers to the game companies to help with GameWorks on titles.

Not really lazy implementation at that point.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
dude.... article is vega FE vs Titan, and my post is was vega FE vs titan. And they do most likely not set TDP that high for no reason.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/28.html

Here it says that even FE of 1080Ti consumes ~270W max.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti_Amp_Extreme/29.html

Here again, it shows that a factory oced 1080Ti is able to consume up to 320W.

In conclusion, don't look at the official numbers of TDP to make assumptions about true consumption of CPU or GPU. My estimation is that full RX Vega will consume close to 280W. The top version with WC might surpass 300W. Normal for top tier gaming cards imho. And TDP limit allows some oc too, so it MUST be higher than the stock clock consumption.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Doom with Vulkan.
Prey (is DX11 anyway)
Sniper Elite DX12

Cherry. That's all.

However, not too long now, only another month and a bit. And a bit more. As mentioned too, AMD have been humping Nvidia in compute for ages now on their gaming based cards. But to be realistic, I don't use compute to game.

Actually you do. Many newer game titles use compute and the amount of compute being used in games is only increasing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Hopefully someone will bench this poncy FE card soon, my God... this is the most epically drawn out launch EVAR.