• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Din's Legacy.

If you like Grim Dawn / Diablo 2 / deeper ARPGs... this is heaven. The entire character progression is RNG based, with a good measure of control over the process. The game allows you to play around with classes freely - a MASSIVE list of them - and you unlock more classes as you play, too.

Here's what my main attack turned into... I'm a life/mana stealing crit monster with a dagger and shield. The rest just came along naturally... Perfect synergy :D At any given point you can think 'Oh, I could use this or that now' and then morph into the class you desire, with a chance to gain one or more of its skills.

View attachment 131820

View attachment 131822

DPS says 85. In-game I see crits north of 1000 :) And after a few blows, almost everything crits
That looks intriguing :) Graphics are way old school, but I can tolerate that, as long as the game is fun. Not on GoG yet, but I'll watch some vids, see how it plays.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That looks intriguing :) Graphics are way old school, but I can tolerate that, as long as the game is fun. Not on GoG yet, but I'll watch some vids, see how it plays.

Tolerate this

DinsLegacy_2019_09_13_21_52_55_452.jpg

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
I played one section last night (in Control) in which you fight a very personal and familiar enemy (don’t want to spoil the game), and I may have set a record with deaths in one encounter. I literally went back and back and back again, finally succeeding after 12 deaths by one enemy boss.

My mouse hand is all cramped up today. No game has ever killed my character as many times. I think I will just relax with wife and a movie tonight.
Not even Dark Souls?

System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Not even Dark Souls?
Ohhhh, you should try Dark Souls, 12 is just a simple number there lol

hahahah same idea came to my mind lol
Yeah, that is actually one game I’ve never had the desire to play. It’s been on my wishlist forever, but I’ve always seen it as the one game that I would spend all my time dying! Heck, Control has killed me at least 70 times!

Ahhzz

Staff member
Not sure what I'll be playing over the weekend, but I'll be hoping for access to Galaxy 2, so I can at least drool over what I want to play :) For a game launch platform, looks pretty impressive...

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
I played one section last night (in Control) in which you fight a very personal and familiar enemy (don’t want to spoil the game), and I may have set a record with deaths in one encounter. I literally went back and back and back again, finally succeeding after 12 deaths by one enemy boss.

My mouse hand is all cramped up today. No game has ever killed my character as many times. I think I will just relax with wife and a movie tonight.
nah....that sounds wrong. Control does not have a level of difficulty, everyone plays the same. I finished the game completely and i got taken down like a few times at best in the fight with the head of security dude who got turn into an alien zombie.

the trick with all "bosses" in Control is patience. the game has no boss fights, not the real one from all the other games like dark souls, or gears of war or any other.
Control only has an enemy with a certain type of attack with a bigger HP bar, and of course other small minions around.
after you defeat a so-called boss, you will encounter him over and over in other battles. the same type of enemy exactly except with a smaller hp bar.
By this definition, Control has no boss fight. Which was very disappointing.
W8 till you get to the end where they all spawn repeatedly and it is so boring....not even hard, just long and it takes forever.

Another hint is to upgrade the throwing skill. the cover, the flying, the all the rest are useless. never used them up until the end. max out the skills were you throw stuff around and max out the energy (mana).
The guns are useless. they do very very little damage. Take the biggest rock or electricity generators and start throwing! Almost all enemies are 1 hit.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Flying the flag in Forza Horizon 4.
Actually, this is one of the best cars I ever owned, 4.0L straight six, as smooth as you like.
XJS.jpg

System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
the photos dont make justice to this Oasis beauty

20190914182838.jpg20190914182943.jpg

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
nah....that sounds wrong. Control does not have a level of difficulty, everyone plays the same. I finished the game completely and i got taken down like a few times at best in the fight with the head of security dude who got turn into an alien zombie.

the trick with all "bosses" in Control is patience. the game has no boss fights, not the real one from all the other games like dark souls, or gears of war or any other.
Control only has an enemy with a certain type of attack with a bigger HP bar, and of course other small minions around.
after you defeat a so-called boss, you will encounter him over and over in other battles. the same type of enemy exactly except with a smaller hp bar.
By this definition, Control has no boss fight. Which was very disappointing.
W8 till you get to the end where they all spawn repeatedly and it is so boring....not even hard, just long and it takes forever.

Another hint is to upgrade the throwing skill. the cover, the flying, the all the rest are useless. never used them up until the end. max out the skills were you throw stuff around and max out the energy (mana).
The guns are useless. they do very very little damage. Take the biggest rock or electricity generators and start throwing! Almost all enemies are 1 hit.
No. It. Is. Not. Wrong. Death is extremely common in this game for me. Just because it doesn't happen for you does not make it not true. I HAVE upgraded nearly all my skills. BTW, a fully upgraded orginal gun (Grip) is EXTREMELY effective when fully upgraded, as is Pierce when only half upgraded. You're wrong about no boss fights too, so stop misleading people.

EDiT: Last night I decided to switch gears completely and installed Aven Colony. This sci-fi city builder sucked me in with 5 straight hours. Debating whether to restart, since my growth is all kinds of haphazard. Not pleased with that result. Otherwise though, idk when I will get tired of it! :)

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-12400F
Motherboard Asus Prime H610M-A WIFI D4
Memory CORSAIR VENGENCE 16GB LPX DDR4 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) MSi Optix 27" 1440p 144hz + MSI OPTIX 27" 1440P 165HZ
Case COOLER MASTER MB320L ARGB
Power Supply Corsair cv650
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent
Software Windows 11 PRO
Batman Arkham Knight
i love this game.
looks amazing on pc max settings @1440p
BatmanAK_2019_09_15_20_12_30_472.png

Ahhzz

Staff member
Got back into Eve Online this weekend, I'll spend the next week trying to figure out what everything in my inventory is for, and whether or not I care that I don't have the skills for half the items lol

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I don't game as much as I used to in my teen and 20's. Currently I'm playing Fallout 4. I played Fallout 3 some 10 years ago and it was OK game, so I decided to kill some time with newer edition.

This game has some major bugs like:
- general unresponsiveness,
- huge 2-3 second imput lags especially when the enemies are attacking,
- you cannot shoot the enemies through openings between the fences/walls because some invisible wall protects them but they can shoot and damage you,
- corners have also some kind of invisible wall which protects the enemies from your gunfire but they don't protect you,
- stupefied settlers or companions who like to cement themselves right at the doorstep to block your way in/out.

The best part is when enemies are attacking and you want to change weapon eg. from sniper to shotgun, the game doesn't always allow you to do so. Instead it holsters your weapon so you can enjoy while enemies are attacking you. Oh, and it either freezes you in place or slows you down to a crawling speed so that they can reach you easily. Maybe it's so because I'm playing on "very hard", so now I've changed difficulty level to "hard". I'll see if the annoyances remain. Well done, Bethesda.
Hah! Yeeeahhhh.... been playing that one lately, too. I know just how much of a buggy mess it can be, and just to up the ante I'm running a few hundred mods! Honestly it's a wonder it's playing well at all.

The lag and general unresponsiveness has a few causes. Some of them are fixable, others are just god awful optimization. Like, that game is so poorly optimized that it STILL stutters if you're pushing it with a 2080ti and say 9900k o_O It will be 10 years at least before the hardware to run Fallout 4 completely smoothly arrives.

There are some mods that can really do a lot to help... better optimized texture packs, fog removal, insignificant object removal... I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. And then there's the Unofficial patch which fixes many causes for gameplay instability, bad NPC behaviors, broken quests... just a whole slew of things. Would highly recommend at least looking into that one. I can say that even with all of my heavy mods, ReShade AND ENB, the game actually runs pretty smooth. Believe it or not, if your PC can handle them, many mods make the game run better by coincidence. Don't ask me how that works. I just know that if I disable all of my mods and run it completely vanilla, it's nowhere near as smooth. The only thing hurting me are the post-fx I add. Turn those off and the game is surprisingly responsive the vast majority of the time. Running a lot of 4k textures and everything. Though honestly it generally runs very good with everything piled on now. But there was a long here-to-there in-between. It's a very touchy system. Kinda like that old beater station wagon that just keeps on going for years and years, rust and busted window mechanisms and all. But you know the frame underneath is rusted out and one wrong bump will have you skating on the chassis. So you're very particular about driving and working on it.

There are a million settings tweaks you can try, too. But you'll have to look into it yourself. It gets very specialized... some folks out there have dug deep. I just recently found one that fixed a lot of my texture pop issues via unlisted ini settings. Some absolutely require direct ini edits, though there are also a couple of ini editors out there that give you a GUI for many of the settings vital to performance. Personally I've been using bethini for generations of bethesda games and it has never done me wrong. None of the settings it gives you have the potential to break things. There's a fair chance you can fix most of the lag messing around in there. First step would probably be to cut off the more detailed LOD levels far sooner (bethesda's 'medium' LOD setting rivals many modern games' 'ultra' LOD setting.) And for christs sake disable those godrays. They are just broken in places and will tank performance in many areas of the game. Not to mention they look awful. Have you ever seen horrible, mosaic-esque blocky edges on objects under volumetric lighting? That's why. Also lower shadow quality/distance. The shadow system is so badly optimized in that game and honestly they look bad even if you max them, so no loss turning them way down. The performance hit in areas with lots of buildings/objects is huge because of shadows. And I promise you won't miss having them turned up. Everything looks pretty much the same type of blocky and your global shadows are fixed anyway. It's the local ones you have settings for that cause problems.

Another one I'd recommend installing under the hood is FO4 Load Accelerator. Basically it gives you a modified DX .dll file and an ini to drop into the game directory which only serves the purpose of disabling vsync on the loading screens, making them go much, much faster. Get this... load times in FO4 are tied to frame rates! Figure that one out. And you can't just disable vsync... the physics and scripted movements start to break beyond 60fps. Another thing to watch out for... many people have stuttering problems with vsync. Tends to be a problem when you're having trouble holding 60fps. Can't help you if that's part of your problem, I've never dealt with that. But my understanding is that you need to disable in-game vsync and use your card's adaptive/dynamic vsync instead. Reason obviously being the lag caused by running vsync below target FPS. It needs to shut off whenever that happens. Unfortunately the load accelerator will no longer work, then.

Others may recommend to disable vsync entirely and just run a cap. I wouldn't unless you're immune to profound tearing the moment your machine starts coughing up more than 60 frames. At that point it's probably gonna be much better to try and get frame rates consistently at or above 60 and use regular vsync.

Another fix for poor performance is F4SE. At heart, it simply extends the script library to give extra functionality for some mods. But it also replaces/streamlines some problem scripts used by the base-game, as was coincidentally needed for certain mods to function effectively. So even if you don't run mods, it might be worth installing just to ease some backend load.

Yet another silly thing that works with many other games is going from fullscreen to windowed/borderless, depending on where you're at. Most people get better performance with one and not the other, but which it is varies from setup to setup with FO4. Another semi-related thing is to set the process to 'always active' which keeps the game fixed at a higher priority. All easily accessible through bethini.

The collision is terrible... it's like the boundaries have half of the polygons. So any point of converging or diverging lines is liable to have invisible barriers cast around it. No way to fix that :/ Well... save for going in and editing EVERY static object in EVERY sector of the worldspace... daunting to be sure. And it's not even that simple. FO4 uses precombines - a way of combining the geometry of neighboring static meshes into what the game then sees as one object. Say you have a stack of 7 or 8 tires with unique meshes. Thanks to precombine you don't need seperate drawcalls for textures, polygons, shadows, and collision of each mesh. Only the one of each for the final 'tethered' version that spits out all of the geometry at once. Though that is to say the collision data is baked-in too. And unfortunately if you alter anything in a precombine, performance actually breaks completely... because previs (basically runs predetermined code against player head orientation and precombine data to figure out what is visible and therefor rendered - so that it's not rendering sides of say... walls, trees, and such, that you can't see from where you are) is also dependent on it.

Force those out, and you'll be lucky to see 20fps in areas where this has happened... even luckier if it doesn't crash your game and even corrupt your save the moment you walk into the area it's in. At best, your drawcalls multiply by 5x and the game just slows to a crawl. The object itself is like a medusa head, locking you in the moment your eyes meet it. The game basically flips a bitch and turns both systems off at the first sign of trouble, which is good in that the game really truly doesn't work on a low level when those run out of sequence - it needs them to run in a definite, manually-set manner... but I also think maybe they shouldn't be so easy to break? Or at least be easier to fix? It just seems primitive and inflexible for something so vital. Even when bethesda wants to change one simple thing in one part of the world space, they have to rebuild a whole bunch of these things or the game will fall apart, even in seemingly unrelated areas! Basically anywhere that modified object pops up, there is a dimensional shift.

Bethesda offers a tool for rebuilding them so you can remove/modify static objects safely, but it's much more primitive than the one they themselves use in-house... to try and make large-scale changes like that would take months of treating it like your night job. as you have to go object-by-object/cell-by-cell... it's a lot like getting your hair cut... one hair at a time. There's no reason why it can't do regions in batches by looking at where they've been turned off by modifications and simply recompiling them as the systems expect. In fact, there's no reason why this can't be coded to run dynamically, as it does and did in virtually every other game using that system back then. It's not even about modding, but rather because the amount of time it takes devs to build and make changes to the world as the go about actually making the game is multiplied exponentially if they have to manually go in and set those parameters up each and every time. Bethesda just hasn't gotten around to it yet... which at this point they're closer to a decade late to the party than not.

Actually, that's also part of why some places just lag... the whole system is poorly set-up. The governing regions for different sectors are poorly divided. I mean... like really haphazardly split. I think the layouts changed drastically between when they drew the lines and now so that there's a bunch of overlap. Probably decided that it's not worth the monumental time needed to fix it, since it does work decently well as-is... even if it's terrible practice by current optimization standards, and was then. And again, in all of this time nobody has managed to fix it because it is humanly impossible to do so before the next real Fallout title is released, whenever that is. It's like diffusing a bomb. And when you cut the wrong wire, the whole process of figuring out what went out and how to fix it is convoluted as all hell. You'd have to be crazy, or have several months of amphetamines on-hand. Probably both. Let's go with that.

Well... they could have fixed it in all of the updates they've pushed out. But instead of fixing bugs and optimizing the game better, the updates mostly serve to add creation club content that nobody buys into. The added benefit is that every time they do, a bunch of memory entries change arbitrarily and it makes any mods accessing them cease to work until the author picks up on it and updates their mod, which usually tends to be quite a lot of popular mods. We all love them for that, I'll tell you! Any serious modder disables automatic updates in steam and never launches the game from the steam launcher. But if you do accidently update it, rest assured somebody out there has found a way to trick steam into giving you the previous version!

Like... these games are just a mess under the hood man. You complain of lag... I'm just scratching the surface of FO4's issues.

And yes... you're understanding it right. If you so much as delete the wrong object, ONCE, from one SINGLE, ISOLATED LOCATION, it will actually BREAK the ENTIRETY of any other WHOLE REGION in the game with so much as ONE of those static objects in it. The most infamous there are trees. Certain trees, as forest-modders know too well, cannot be removed from anywhere without most of the outdoor areas completely tanking. If you've ever heard stories of mods breaking saves, those types of mods are nearly always the reason. It's not bad scripted mods... that doesn't really happen much in FO4... no. It's the damned trees! The TREES are destroying the universe!

I also recently dealt with one mod that changed a tire mesh that was part of a precombine... and anywhere there were static tire piles, the game would either slow down or crash. Sometimes when fast-traveling in or going from an interior into one of the affected areas, the loading screen would just hang. Didn't even bother trying to rescue that save. I had to start over to even be able to diagnose which mod was doing it. All over a friggin tire, because some dude innocently didn't like the look and diligently worked to make it look better. Best part? It took me a solid year of running that mod to realize what the problem was. Do you appreciate how insane it is to have to isolate a whole game shitting on you to a friggin tire mesh?! How about a toilet? Or a footpath tile? To look around at a few hundred objects and pinpoint "Oh, all of the places where the game lags have a tire pile tucked away somewhere... I see they have nothing else in common." How many completely different areas in a post apocalyptic game do you think have those? A lot. How long d'you suppose it takes to become mentally unsound enough to deduce that? A long time, man... a long time.

You can imagine... if this is all that it takes to basically break the whole game, it mayyyy not be all that 'steady' to begin with :p You can add as many things on top of the precombines as your clogged, swollen heart desires... build towering skyscrapers with 10000 objects inside... game doesn't care. Change a tire mesh or drop an ugly tree out and the world collapses. And the part that makes it really maddening is that it will come and go. You could have 4 long playthroughs with no game-breaking issues. And then at some turning point in that 5th playthrough, every 5th loading screen starts to hang and you get CTD's like nobody's business. This has lead many people to confuse the causes, but I suspect it's broken precombines most of the time, just going by all of the circular chatter based around these odd problems.

The damned settlers thing drove me crazy for the longest time. Why do they have to stand in that friggen sanctuary door all of the time?! There's a mod that is literally called Move that fixes that. It basically makes it so the move sooner after you bump them and then when they do move, makes them move twice as far. Cheekily enough, they are coded to see when they're in your way. They just also happen to be instructed to ignore you for a while before inching a little bit in another direction. They're basically put there to be assholes and minorly inconvenience you everywhere they can. They actually do know exactly what they're doing...

There's also "Better Companions" which revamps companion behavior to fix many of the annoying little behavioral things I'm sure you have or will encounter as well as making them actually useful in stealth and combat. No longer will they spontaneously break stealth to run in with guns blazing with no obvious trigger. And when they do shoot, they hit things most of the time! As a bonus, they don't spaz-out and go sprinting off 100 feet like they just saw a rat at that exact moment when you become overencumbered and need to dump items on them. And dogmeat doesn't run in front of you and just stop as much. How do they miss this shit in QA? It's immediately annoying and I promise you nearly every tester experienced it. It'd be one thing if we were talking major changes to fix, but it's literally 5 minutes editing a few plain-text parameters. Most fixes for this games are only that.

Stuff like that is what got me into modding the game. So many little quality of life tweaks you can bring in to make the game so much more enjoyable. I started off simply fixing things. Then I went to upgrading the look. Once you're running a weather/lighting overhaul, water overhaul, foliage overhaul, and some quality texture mods, it's almost impossible to go back to vanilla, which in my estimation, has aged absolutely terribly. I can't man. ReShade and ENB only seal the deal... the former injects post-shaders while the latter hooks directly onto the rendering engine to put shaders behind the depth buffer, allowing quite a lot to be mixed-in. Between the two you have a lot of power over the game's look and can play around with different types of AA, LUT's, AO, lightroom/aftereffects-style adjustments, a million different kinds of sharpening, advanced DOF, bloom/ambient lighting with lens dirt, flares, all sorts of more "modern" touches. The type of stuff you'll see in games today with their 'ultra' presets.

My favorites these days are the gameplay mods. There are weapon overhauls which change the specs of the weapons to make them make more sense and make some of the cool, but useless weapons actually fun to use. And then there's stuff like Armorsmith which allows for much wider armor/clothing modding (in-game mods) and unlocks combinations that most people would say were arbitrarily and unsatisfying limited. The side-effect is that enemy armors get a little tougher... but I've also lowered their HP a little bit, so they drop quick (but not too quick) if you're appropriately leveled. Basically, weapons do more damage, so you bring down enemies quicker, but they can also drop you very quickly. Late-game can be such a grind, they become bullet sponges. I largely avoid that. To further spice it up I have a mod which makes the screen blur momentarily when shot. Between all of that, combat has actual energy and the weapons you use matter so much more. Even if you're overarmored, you still can't fight while being hit, so if you don't play it smart, you'll be the one getting whittled down! I routinely go to the wrong places ill-prepared and get my shit wrecked, on normal! Keep in mind I've put in 1059 hours - I know how to play the game as well as what is lurking where! On vanilla I could run through very hard like a god. Much more interesting when there are more weapons to choose from and combat has actual tension. Staying away from the harder difficulties also minimizes the bullet-sponge problem. Bethesda's idea of difficulty is a joke as far as that goes. That's the entirety of thier concept of it - ridiculously high enemy HP/defense. Meanwhile, their attacks stop scaling just like your weapon damage does. So it progressively becomes like an endless rock-em-sock-em robot dance. It feels like you're all just running around in costumes, limp-wristedly smacking each other with dirty wet socks. Not super fun or particularly difficult. Don't get me started on their 'survival' mode. It's such a gross misappropriation of what a good survival game is. Just... no. It's like a robot imitating human emotions. It's kinda like the real thing, but some things always remind you of how far off it actually still is.

I've also tried to make the game more rewarding. I upped global exp rate to 110%... not so much as to burn through levels, but enough to level at a pace where I've made decent progress up the perk tree before finishing the bulk of the main content and DLC... so you can actually USE those perks before you run out of shit to do other than run around doing radiant fetch quests, kill powerful monsters, and add more to your towering piles of weapons, armors, and junk. Legendary enemies also spawn a little more often. Chests and trunks all spawn a legendary weapon. And I changed the rate of melee-ballistic. Supposedly it's even by default, but I have done most playthroughs up past level 60 only finding ONE, SHITTY non-melee legendary for my gun-toting characters. Once the RNG locks-in on a certain pattern, it tends to repeat it throughout the entire playthrough! I'm not sure what they did with it, but it really jacks you in a majorly punishing way. Many people do several loooong playthroughs before they get a single decent one. And it's not like they're super-amazing to begin with. Like, the legendary weapons in this game are such a crapshoot they might as well not be there. It's nice to occasionally find one that I can use :p And then there are all sorts of mods that add all-new weapons and outfits for you to find as you play the game. Those are honestly more fun. A lot of work and love goes into those weapons and outfits.

So I feel for you attempting to play through plain FO4. I couldn't do it these days... nuh-uh. I wouldn't fault anyone for being let down by the bare, unmodded game. A lot of things about it were never good, and at this point are egregiously bad. I still love playing the game, but so help me god, there is a loooonnng list of things, which if they do not change in thier next major title, will leave me with no choice but to not play it. I won't do it. Modding FO4 has been a monumental task... and it has been very rewarding, so much so that I'm spoiled beyond the point of no return. But to ever again put this much work and research into making a game play right... no. Nobody has that kind of patience... to spend weeks and months building up a mod setup, just to get reasonable enjoyment out... with each new game? It's simply too much. If I lost all of my backups and my whole mod setup went poof tomorrow, I would never pick up FO4 again. Being there is great. Getting there... sucks. It just sucks. At times, it can be fascinating just fixing things and learning about how it all works. But more often it is just as frustrating as the problems the game has sans-mods. It's gotten to a point where we are paying them for the privilege of finishing their games ourselves. Bottom line is, Bethesda is cheap. Ridiculously so. And I find that pretty sad, given the love people have for their games. It really is an abusive relationship, though.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
DD Games updated Rebel Galaxy Outlaw roadmap

Modkit and Free DLC coming soon. Steam version won't be for a while.

Got back into Eve Online this weekend, I'll spend the next week trying to figure out what everything in my inventory is for, and whether or not I care that I don't have the skills for half the items lol

EVE Online is a fantastic game. Kreiji (RIP :(:(:() and I played it. I used to live in 0.0 space.

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
World of Final Fantasy. I bought this when it was released for PC, but only tried a few hours and couldn't understand all the mechanics, probably because I was hella drunk.

Seems to be an interesting game, only in the beginning though. But when I read all the tips and tricks, I guess that I'll be more than just trying it this time. :D

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Valkyria Chronicles, because they still haven't fixed the issues with Mutant Year Zero not launching. It's fun but they should add an option to speed up enemy turns.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Hah! Yeeeahhhh.... been playing that one lately, too. I know just how much of a buggy mess it can be, and just to up the ante I'm running a few hundred mods! Honestly it's a wonder it's playing well at all.

The lag and general unresponsiveness has a few causes. Some of them are fixable, others are just god awful optimization. Like, that game is so poorly optimized that it STILL stutters if you're pushing it with a 2080ti and say 9900k o_O It will be 10 years at least before the hardware to run Fallout 4 completely smoothly arrives.

There are some mods that can really do a lot to help... better optimized texture packs, fog removal, insignificant object removal... I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. And then there's the Unofficial patch which fixes many causes for gameplay instability, bad NPC behaviors, broken quests... just a whole slew of things. Would highly recommend at least looking into that one. I can say that even with all of my heavy mods, ReShade AND ENB, the game actually runs pretty smooth. Believe it or not, if your PC can handle them, many mods make the game run better by coincidence. Don't ask me how that works. I just know that if I disable all of my mods and run it completely vanilla, it's nowhere near as smooth. The only thing hurting me are the post-fx I add. Turn those off and the game is surprisingly responsive the vast majority of the time. Running a lot of 4k textures and everything. Though honestly it generally runs very good with everything piled on now. But there was a long here-to-there in-between. It's a very touchy system. Kinda like that old beater station wagon that just keeps on going for years and years, rust and busted window mechanisms and all. But you know the frame underneath is rusted out and one wrong bump will have you skating on the chassis. So you're very particular about driving and working on it.

There are a million settings tweaks you can try, too. But you'll have to look into it yourself. It gets very specialized... some folks out there have dug deep. I just recently found one that fixed a lot of my texture pop issues via unlisted ini settings. Some absolutely require direct ini edits, though there are also a couple of ini editors out there that give you a GUI for many of the settings vital to performance. Personally I've been using bethini for generations of bethesda games and it has never done me wrong. None of the settings it gives you have the potential to break things. There's a fair chance you can fix most of the lag messing around in there. First step would probably be to cut off the more detailed LOD levels far sooner (bethesda's 'medium' LOD setting rivals many modern games' 'ultra' LOD setting.) And for christs sake disable those godrays. They are just broken in places and will tank performance in many areas of the game. Not to mention they look awful. Have you ever seen horrible, mosaic-esque blocky edges on objects under volumetric lighting? That's why. Also lower shadow quality/distance. The shadow system is so badly optimized in that game and honestly they look bad even if you max them, so no loss turning them way down. The performance hit in areas with lots of buildings/objects is huge because of shadows. And I promise you won't miss having them turned up. Everything looks pretty much the same type of blocky and your global shadows are fixed anyway. It's the local ones you have settings for that cause problems.

Another one I'd recommend installing under the hood is FO4 Load Accelerator. Basically it gives you a modified DX .dll file and an ini to drop into the game directory which only serves the purpose of disabling vsync on the loading screens, making them go much, much faster. Get this... load times in FO4 are tied to frame rates! Figure that one out. And you can't just disable vsync... the physics and scripted movements start to break beyond 60fps. Another thing to watch out for... many people have stuttering problems with vsync. Tends to be a problem when you're having trouble holding 60fps. Can't help you if that's part of your problem, I've never dealt with that. But my understanding is that you need to disable in-game vsync and use your card's adaptive/dynamic vsync instead. Reason obviously being the lag caused by running vsync below target FPS. It needs to shut off whenever that happens. Unfortunately the load accelerator will no longer work, then.

Others may recommend to disable vsync entirely and just run a cap. I wouldn't unless you're immune to profound tearing the moment your machine starts coughing up more than 60 frames. At that point it's probably gonna be much better to try and get frame rates consistently at or above 60 and use regular vsync.

Another fix for poor performance is F4SE. At heart, it simply extends the script library to give extra functionality for some mods. But it also replaces/streamlines some problem scripts used by the base-game, as was coincidentally needed for certain mods to function effectively. So even if you don't run mods, it might be worth installing just to ease some backend load.

Yet another silly thing that works with many other games is going from fullscreen to windowed/borderless, depending on where you're at. Most people get better performance with one and not the other, but which it is varies from setup to setup with FO4. Another semi-related thing is to set the process to 'always active' which keeps the game fixed at a higher priority. All easily accessible through bethini.

The collision is terrible... it's like the boundaries have half of the polygons. So any point of converging or diverging lines is liable to have invisible barriers cast around it. No way to fix that :/ Well... save for going in and editing EVERY static object in EVERY sector of the worldspace... daunting to be sure. And it's not even that simple. FO4 uses precombines - a way of combining the geometry of neighboring static meshes into what the game then sees as one object. Say you have a stack of 7 or 8 tires with unique meshes. Thanks to precombine you don't need seperate drawcalls for textures, polygons, shadows, and collision of each mesh. Only the one of each for the final 'tethered' version that spits out all of the geometry at once. Though that is to say the collision data is baked-in too. And unfortunately if you alter anything in a precombine, performance actually breaks completely... because previs (basically runs predetermined code against player head orientation and precombine data to figure out what is visible and therefor rendered - so that it's not rendering sides of say... walls, trees, and such, that you can't see from where you are) is also dependent on it.

Force those out, and you'll be lucky to see 20fps in areas where this has happened... even luckier if it doesn't crash your game and even corrupt your save the moment you walk into the area it's in. At best, your drawcalls multiply by 5x and the game just slows to a crawl. The object itself is like a medusa head, locking you in the moment your eyes meet it. The game basically flips a bitch and turns both systems off at the first sign of trouble, which is good in that the game really truly doesn't work on a low level when those run out of sequence - it needs them to run in a definite, manually-set manner... but I also think maybe they shouldn't be so easy to break? Or at least be easier to fix? It just seems primitive and inflexible for something so vital. Even when bethesda wants to change one simple thing in one part of the world space, they have to rebuild a whole bunch of these things or the game will fall apart, even in seemingly unrelated areas! Basically anywhere that modified object pops up, there is a dimensional shift.

Bethesda offers a tool for rebuilding them so you can remove/modify static objects safely, but it's much more primitive than the one they themselves use in-house... to try and make large-scale changes like that would take months of treating it like your night job. as you have to go object-by-object/cell-by-cell... it's a lot like getting your hair cut... one hair at a time. There's no reason why it can't do regions in batches by looking at where they've been turned off by modifications and simply recompiling them as the systems expect. In fact, there's no reason why this can't be coded to run dynamically, as it does and did in virtually every other game using that system back then. It's not even about modding, but rather because the amount of time it takes devs to build and make changes to the world as the go about actually making the game is multiplied exponentially if they have to manually go in and set those parameters up each and every time. Bethesda just hasn't gotten around to it yet... which at this point they're closer to a decade late to the party than not.

Actually, that's also part of why some places just lag... the whole system is poorly set-up. The governing regions for different sectors are poorly divided. I mean... like really haphazardly split. I think the layouts changed drastically between when they drew the lines and now so that there's a bunch of overlap. Probably decided that it's not worth the monumental time needed to fix it, since it does work decently well as-is... even if it's terrible practice by current optimization standards, and was then. And again, in all of this time nobody has managed to fix it because it is humanly impossible to do so before the next real Fallout title is released, whenever that is. It's like diffusing a bomb. And when you cut the wrong wire, the whole process of figuring out what went out and how to fix it is convoluted as all hell. You'd have to be crazy, or have several months of amphetamines on-hand. Probably both. Let's go with that.

Well... they could have fixed it in all of the updates they've pushed out. But instead of fixing bugs and optimizing the game better, the updates mostly serve to add creation club content that nobody buys into. The added benefit is that every time they do, a bunch of memory entries change arbitrarily and it makes any mods accessing them cease to work until the author picks up on it and updates their mod, which usually tends to be quite a lot of popular mods. We all love them for that, I'll tell you! Any serious modder disables automatic updates in steam and never launches the game from the steam launcher. But if you do accidently update it, rest assured somebody out there has found a way to trick steam into giving you the previous version!

Like... these games are just a mess under the hood man. You complain of lag... I'm just scratching the surface of FO4's issues.

And yes... you're understanding it right. If you so much as delete the wrong object, ONCE, from one SINGLE, ISOLATED LOCATION, it will actually BREAK the ENTIRETY of any other WHOLE REGION in the game with so much as ONE of those static objects in it. The most infamous there are trees. Certain trees, as forest-modders know too well, cannot be removed from anywhere without most of the outdoor areas completely tanking. If you've ever heard stories of mods breaking saves, those types of mods are nearly always the reason. It's not bad scripted mods... that doesn't really happen much in FO4... no. It's the damned trees! The TREES are destroying the universe!

I also recently dealt with one mod that changed a tire mesh that was part of a precombine... and anywhere there were static tire piles, the game would either slow down or crash. Sometimes when fast-traveling in or going from an interior into one of the affected areas, the loading screen would just hang. Didn't even bother trying to rescue that save. I had to start over to even be able to diagnose which mod was doing it. All over a friggin tire, because some dude innocently didn't like the look and diligently worked to make it look better. Best part? It took me a solid year of running that mod to realize what the problem was. Do you appreciate how insane it is to have to isolate a whole game shitting on you to a friggin tire mesh?! How about a toilet? Or a footpath tile? To look around at a few hundred objects and pinpoint "Oh, all of the places where the game lags have a tire pile tucked away somewhere... I see they have nothing else in common." How many completely different areas in a post apocalyptic game do you think have those? A lot. How long d'you suppose it takes to become mentally unsound enough to deduce that? A long time, man... a long time.

You can imagine... if this is all that it takes to basically break the whole game, it mayyyy not be all that 'steady' to begin with :p You can add as many things on top of the precombines as your clogged, swollen heart desires... build towering skyscrapers with 10000 objects inside... game doesn't care. Change a tire mesh or drop an ugly tree out and the world collapses. And the part that makes it really maddening is that it will come and go. You could have 4 long playthroughs with no game-breaking issues. And then at some turning point in that 5th playthrough, every 5th loading screen starts to hang and you get CTD's like nobody's business. This has lead many people to confuse the causes, but I suspect it's broken precombines most of the time, just going by all of the circular chatter based around these odd problems.

The damned settlers thing drove me crazy for the longest time. Why do they have to stand in that friggen sanctuary door all of the time?! There's a mod that is literally called Move that fixes that. It basically makes it so the move sooner after you bump them and then when they do move, makes them move twice as far. Cheekily enough, they are coded to see when they're in your way. They just also happen to be instructed to ignore you for a while before inching a little bit in another direction. They're basically put there to be assholes and minorly inconvenience you everywhere they can. They actually do know exactly what they're doing...

There's also "Better Companions" which revamps companion behavior to fix many of the annoying little behavioral things I'm sure you have or will encounter as well as making them actually useful in stealth and combat. No longer will they spontaneously break stealth to run in with guns blazing with no obvious trigger. And when they do shoot, they hit things most of the time! As a bonus, they don't spaz-out and go sprinting off 100 feet like they just saw a rat at that exact moment when you become overencumbered and need to dump items on them. And dogmeat doesn't run in front of you and just stop as much. How do they miss this shit in QA? It's immediately annoying and I promise you nearly every tester experienced it. It'd be one thing if we were talking major changes to fix, but it's literally 5 minutes editing a few plain-text parameters. Most fixes for this games are only that.

Stuff like that is what got me into modding the game. So many little quality of life tweaks you can bring in to make the game so much more enjoyable. I started off simply fixing things. Then I went to upgrading the look. Once you're running a weather/lighting overhaul, water overhaul, foliage overhaul, and some quality texture mods, it's almost impossible to go back to vanilla, which in my estimation, has aged absolutely terribly. I can't man. ReShade and ENB only seal the deal... the former injects post-shaders while the latter hooks directly onto the rendering engine to put shaders behind the depth buffer, allowing quite a lot to be mixed-in. Between the two you have a lot of power over the game's look and can play around with different types of AA, LUT's, AO, lightroom/aftereffects-style adjustments, a million different kinds of sharpening, advanced DOF, bloom/ambient lighting with lens dirt, flares, all sorts of more "modern" touches. The type of stuff you'll see in games today with their 'ultra' presets.

My favorites these days are the gameplay mods. There are weapon overhauls which change the specs of the weapons to make them make more sense and make some of the cool, but useless weapons actually fun to use. And then there's stuff like Armorsmith which allows for much wider armor/clothing modding (in-game mods) and unlocks combinations that most people would say were arbitrarily and unsatisfying limited. The side-effect is that enemy armors get a little tougher... but I've also lowered their HP a little bit, so they drop quick (but not too quick) if you're appropriately leveled. Basically, weapons do more damage, so you bring down enemies quicker, but they can also drop you very quickly. Late-game can be such a grind, they become bullet sponges. I largely avoid that. To further spice it up I have a mod which makes the screen blur momentarily when shot. Between all of that, combat has actual energy and the weapons you use matter so much more. Even if you're overarmored, you still can't fight while being hit, so if you don't play it smart, you'll be the one getting whittled down! I routinely go to the wrong places ill-prepared and get my shit wrecked, on normal! Keep in mind I've put in 1059 hours - I know how to play the game as well as what is lurking where! On vanilla I could run through very hard like a god. Much more interesting when there are more weapons to choose from and combat has actual tension. Staying away from the harder difficulties also minimizes the bullet-sponge problem. Bethesda's idea of difficulty is a joke as far as that goes. That's the entirety of thier concept of it - ridiculously high enemy HP/defense. Meanwhile, their attacks stop scaling just like your weapon damage does. So it progressively becomes like an endless rock-em-sock-em robot dance. It feels like you're all just running around in costumes, limp-wristedly smacking each other with dirty wet socks. Not super fun or particularly difficult. Don't get me started on their 'survival' mode. It's such a gross misappropriation of what a good survival game is. Just... no. It's like a robot imitating human emotions. It's kinda like the real thing, but some things always remind you of how far off it actually still is.

I've also tried to make the game more rewarding. I upped global exp rate to 110%... not so much as to burn through levels, but enough to level at a pace where I've made decent progress up the perk tree before finishing the bulk of the main content and DLC... so you can actually USE those perks before you run out of shit to do other than run around doing radiant fetch quests, kill powerful monsters, and add more to your towering piles of weapons, armors, and junk. Legendary enemies also spawn a little more often. Chests and trunks all spawn a legendary weapon. And I changed the rate of melee-ballistic. Supposedly it's even by default, but I have done most playthroughs up past level 60 only finding ONE, SHITTY non-melee legendary for my gun-toting characters. Once the RNG locks-in on a certain pattern, it tends to repeat it throughout the entire playthrough! I'm not sure what they did with it, but it really jacks you in a majorly punishing way. Many people do several loooong playthroughs before they get a single decent one. And it's not like they're super-amazing to begin with. Like, the legendary weapons in this game are such a crapshoot they might as well not be there. It's nice to occasionally find one that I can use :p And then there are all sorts of mods that add all-new weapons and outfits for you to find as you play the game. Those are honestly more fun. A lot of work and love goes into those weapons and outfits.

So I feel for you attempting to play through plain FO4. I couldn't do it these days... nuh-uh. I wouldn't fault anyone for being let down by the bare, unmodded game. A lot of things about it were never good, and at this point are egregiously bad. I still love playing the game, but so help me god, there is a loooonnng list of things, which if they do not change in thier next major title, will leave me with no choice but to not play it. I won't do it. Modding FO4 has been a monumental task... and it has been very rewarding, so much so that I'm spoiled beyond the point of no return. But to ever again put this much work and research into making a game play right... no. Nobody has that kind of patience... to spend weeks and months building up a mod setup, just to get reasonable enjoyment out... with each new game? It's simply too much. If I lost all of my backups and my whole mod setup went poof tomorrow, I would never pick up FO4 again. Being there is great. Getting there... sucks. It just sucks. At times, it can be fascinating just fixing things and learning about how it all works. But more often it is just as frustrating as the problems the game has sans-mods. It's gotten to a point where we are paying them for the privilege of finishing their games ourselves. Bottom line is, Bethesda is cheap. Ridiculously so. And I find that pretty sad, given the love people have for their games. It really is an abusive relationship, though.

Seriously man you should write a book.

'Chronicles of FO4 modding' by robot zombie

insta buy for me! Brilliant writing, sir.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Continued yesterday with Aven Colony. This thing has me glued to my seat! I restarted a game yesterday to get the city just right. I’ve still ended up having two housing centers...one with shopping, bistro and hospital nearby, and another in the farm area surrounded by industrial stuff. Good grief, this game gives new meaning to “urban sprawl.”

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Continued yesterday with Aven Colony. This thing has me glued to my seat! I restarted a game yesterday to get the city just right. I’ve still ended up having two housing centers...one with shopping, bistro and hospital nearby, and another in the farm area surrounded by industrial stuff. Good grief, this game gives new meaning to “urban sprawl.”

Oh man... I couldn't get into that at all... I felt like being kicked back from Lego to Duplo blocks again, or something similar. A bit too simple-ish for my taste.

Did you play Frostpunk yet? Kinda captures similar concepts but really puts the pressure on more, for me at least. It also runs out of juice pretty fast, but ok.

Dins Legacy update... almost unlocked every class! Ha!

Meanwhile, numbers fly off my screen... feels a bit like I broke the game, doing content over 10 levels beyond my own atm. But still great, great fun... and the game still presents new scenarios (win/lose conditions, map type, etc.) almost every time I create a new region. The replayability here... is mental.

DinsLegacy_2019_09_16_14_28_44_957.jpg

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
Looks ok. Did you check out Dawn of Man? I like the look of starting with flint daggers and wood spears chasing down a wooly rhino :)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Looks ok. Did you check out Dawn of Man? I like the look of starting with flint daggers and wood spears chasing down a wooly rhino :)
I have! It’s on my to play list.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Seriously man you should write a book.

'Chronicles of FO4 modding' by robot zombie

insta buy for me! Brilliant writing, sir.
Hey thanks for the encouragement man! And yeah... give me another week locked inside with the flu and also give me one of those 5-gallon, hot/cold water dispensers - but fill it with strong coffee instead. I'll continue popping dayquil and get it done. Hopefully I finish before my liver fails from acetaminophen poisoning or my pancreas gives out from prolonged dehydration. Sure, it'll be increasingly less coherent as it goes on, but maybe that's how it ought to be. It shall be my life's work in the most literal sense. A legacy worth remembering. :p

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro

4 tries.

It's not like dark soul. The only dodge is the shift button, and it is more like a side-step than an actual dodge. Ther hit box clearly shows you get hit, however, if you press the button at the right moment the game will show as a dodge.
Very easy boss fight just gets a bit of time until you get used to the dodge system.

This ended the intro of the game GreedFall. This is a MUST for anyone into single player games.
Full of bugs and issues, but the narrative is exclusive. Loving the story all the way! And from what i've seen all quests are different, they give you interest to chaice and the voice acting is very good, making up for the horrible facial animations.

Processor Intel® Core™ i9-12900K
Motherboard Z690 GAMING X DDR4
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror
Memory 32GB Team Group T-Create Xpert @3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC
Storage TEAM_TM8FP6512G_V1.6.C1/KINGSTON_SA400S361K1/T-FORCE_512GB
Display(s) ASUS VG279Q 144Hz
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit MKII V2 DAC + Mackie CR3
Power Supply ROG-STRIX-1000G
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Sentey Ghost Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 23H2
I started playing Alan Wake this week

alan_wake_2.png
alan_wake_3.png
alan_wake_4.png
alan_wake_5.png
alan_wake_6.png
alan_wake_8.png
alan_wake_9.png

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro