• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will Defragging My HDD Once a Day Kill It?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I have a laptop running XP for work and I have Ashampoo magic defrag running in the background permanently. Whenever the machine is idle, it defrags.

The HDD is 3 years old and going strong.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
No, the only part of the drive that "wears out" is the bearings and the heads if they touch the disk, since they are riding on a cusion of air they won't wear out if you defrag, the bearings are more fatigued by LOW temps, and suffer the same fate weather or not the drive is in use.

Electromigration of the heads is a minor issue, I have never seen a drive die yet from it. Adn the actual use of the platter media actually is good for it, data left in place for long periods of time carry a higher chance of becoming permanently written to the sectors.

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
My C: (Windows) drive usually gets more fragmented over time than my D: drive that has only games installed.

I find that once a month is sufficient.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
No-one seems to have noticed my definitive answer to this thread's question in post 5, so here it is again, FlavaOne:

No, that killing the HD idea is an urban myth and was comprehensively debunked by Techarp.

in that techarp report, it states that stress is put on the drive by defragging, but that stress is equally matched by the drive not having to search for fragmented files after defrag of drive... so in all it equals out the workload... now if as the original poster said.... defrag everyday, i see the balance shifting to unneccessary stress on the drive and shortened lifespan ;)

System Name KAREN / EVA / GHOST
Processor Intel Core i7-950 / AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE / Core i5 3570k
Motherboard ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 / DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH / Asrock z77e-itx
Cooling Thermaltake Frio / Corsair Cooling™ Hydro Series H50 / Corsair Hydro Series H60
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Dominator Quad2X4096-8500C5DF / G.SKILL Ripjaws Serie 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD6950 CF unlocked /XFX HD5770 CF/ MSI R4890 Cyclone
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD / Seagate Barracuda /Western Digital 80gb, Toshiba 1TB
Display(s) 2 Acer P215H 21.5 Widescreen / Acer S211HL 21.5 / HP 2009F 20inch
Case SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW / NZXT Phantom /Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) On board / Philips MMS 321 - PC multimedia speakers
Power Supply Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000W / Cosair CMPSU-750TX 750W/ CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W
Software Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit
Every thing dies some time :wtf: Some hardware we rush its death! :roll: I say if you install and uninstall things a lot you really have no choice but defrag. I Defrag often maybe every other day. I dont think its that harmful really.

audiotranceable

System Name Asus G60vx
Processor Intel P7450 @ 2.666 MHz (setfsb)
Motherboard Intel PM45 Rev 07 + ICH9-M Rev 03
Cooling Stock
Memory Hyundai DDR2 800 @ 1000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX260 1024MB 256-bit
Storage 250GB SATA 2 (5400rpm) *time to upgrade*
Display(s) 1366x768 @ 90hz
Case Stock
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Stock
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
I defrag everyday but that's because I'm always moving music files here and saving new one's there. In 3 days it said like 10% of it fragmented lol

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
in that techarp report, it states that stress is put on the drive by defragging, but that stress is equally matched by the drive not having to search for fragmented files after defrag of drive... so in all it equals out the workload... now if as the original poster said.... defrag everyday, i see the balance shifting to unneccessary stress on the drive and shortened lifespan ;)
Most defrag software I know, will only move files if they are fragmented.
Therefore most of the time it will just be a quick scan, I don't see any stress what so ever.

I run O&O defrag screen saver, and my ancient WD 40GB is still going strong.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I don't think it would shorten the drive's life all that much. If you are de-fragmenting every day, chances are that the drive will not get that fragmented, so after the initial defragment, the amount of seeks/read/write cycles should be at a minimum.

Though I don't really see why you would want to defragment every day, that seems a bit excessive to me. What are you doing to the drive that is causing it to fragment enough to warrant a defragment every day?

it adds more reads and writes, but can reduce how many it has due to the files being defragged. it all depends on what defragment method is used - is your defragger ONLY messing with fragmented files, or does it re-order files, move them to the faster parts of the drive, etc.

The more activity your defragger causes, the less often you should run it.

How modern the drive is has nothing to do with how fragmented it is/will get. It is all about how the data is written to the drive.

its all about how the OS writes data to the drive ;)

Nothing really, I just do it cause it takes no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete. When I used to do it weekly, it would take at least 45-60 minutes and sometimes a bit longer to complete.

5-10 minutes sounds like its only touching fragmented files, and therefore isnt going to stress your drive too much. if its that quick, your performance gains would be zero and nil, however.

Would of thought they'd have had better controllers on the HDD PCB etc.

Newer drives do seem to fragment less at any rate.

My IDE drives needed defragging every month and were approx 30% fragmented.

its got nothing to do with the HDD at all. its all to do with the file system used, and the OS.

Why would you defrag your hard drive every day? Your hard drive doesn't get fragmented unless you put stuff on it. Only defrag after you make a large instillation (like a video game) or move a bunch of files.

Thats my way of thinking as well - i defrag maybe once every 3 months, but i have a logical HDD setup to prevent fragmentation

C: drive for OS only, games and programs on seperate partitions - its only the programs that write constantly that fragment your drive, so keeping my non-changing files (games) on a seperate drive or partition, prevents them ever fragmenting.

I tell you what's strange. I work in IT and when I look at user's computers I see that just using the PC with limited rights and storing everything on a network drive (nothing saved to the local HD) fragments them badly. This goes for both Win2k & XP.

Especially the older Win2K machines will have solid red showing in the defragger and run like treacle. Defragging them improves the response times significantly.

Why it should fragment like this I don't know.

because they're running old OS's, and likely fat32. as you said, the older machines on the older OS are worst, because MS tweaks that stuff as they go along with updates to the file systems, and how the OS writes to the drives.

NCQ has helped, but really the drive has little to do with where data is placed on the drive, the program/OS writing the data to the drive contols where it goes on the drive, and how it is fragmented.

For the most part, modern OSes have gotten better about keeping drive fragmentation to a minimum.

this man beat me to it. one cookie.

Sheesh, are you a moderator or a troll? You're manner is extremely rude and offensive. This is not the first time you've behaved this way towards me, either.

while not aimed at me, i have one thing to say: never pick a fight with a moderator. you lose the moment you try.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Defragging your hard drive every day isn't going to do diddly to it.
It's not different than having an active server running 24/7.
Disk drives typically will die in the first 3 months or they will last for years.
Even if it did shorten the lifespan, the odds of you replacing it before it dies is far greater than it giving up the ghost from defragging.
Don' t worry about it. Back up your data (which you should be doing anyway) and defrag your heart out.

I'll pick a fight with a moderator !!! except mussels. i love his rainbows too much.
Oh crap, that won't work they all know me.
Keep up the good work gents.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 67555

No I've never had a HD go bad from defrag but the question remains as to why you would want to so often.
If you have done a lot of Downloading and installing and removing of programs by all means defrag, other than that once a month is quite fine.. Last month I downloaded 120gb of games after all that installing I defragged it was 18%

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
lol ... thanks Mussels. I needed a good laugh. :toast:

It's actually better to defragment daily with small defragmentation "updates" instead massive workloads every week or month. I just have my Vista set to defrag my drives daily at 2:00 AM. So that i have fast drives ready for next day :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You need only defragment after placing a lot of data on the drive(s). For instance, if you just installed a game, several applications, and copied a music archive over from a backup (say, a total of 20 GiB), it would be a good idea to defragment.

I've had fragmentation higher than 70% (on more than one occasion) before I got around to defragging. I could never tell and my drives are still working great four years later.

The biggest drag on hard drive performance always was and always will be running at high storage capacity. The reason being that data passes the head much faster on the outer edge of the platters compared to near the center.

Another note: lots of small files create more fragmentation than few big files.

Last edited:
System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
i find the worst 2 partitions are my c: drive with the OS and the D: that utorrent downloads to are the worst hit as they are constantly getting data written to them. my other 4 hard drives all contain data that is almost never changes so when i run perfect disk it is only c: and d: that ever takes very long even then its only 2% fragmented at the very most.

if you ever use a bittorrent client dont download to your c drive as it fragments a drive badly because it never writes files to the disk in sequensial order its always fragments of files 500k in size so they end up spread all over the hard drive.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i find the worst 2 partitions are my c: drive with the OS and the D: that utorrent downloads to are the worst hit as they are constantly getting data written to them. my other 4 hard drives all contain data that is almost never changes so when i run perfect disk it is only c: and d: that ever takes very long even then its only 2% fragmented at the very most.

if you ever use a bittorrent client dont download to your c drive as it fragments a drive badly because it never writes files to the disk in sequensial order its always fragments of files 500k in size so they end up spread all over the hard drive.

thats pretty much how i see it too - you're better off organising your drives in the first place, than defragging all the time.

Stearic

If you use utorrent, you can preallocate the space for the files so there is no extra fragmentation from the torrent :) (if there is insufficient contiguous free space to begin with, even the 'prealloacted' file will be fragmented).

In any case, it's good practice to use a non-OS drive for torrents since Windows itself is always reading/writing files from/to the drive..

As for defrag, my system has Diskeeper 2009 Pro set on auto defrag mode; infact, I've been running some version or other of DK on auto defrag mode for the past few years and never have had a drive problem because of that. Works just fine and keeps fragmentation to a minimum at all times.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I have run raid 0 arrays forever and I have always always defragged daily.I have never had an array or harddrive fail on any of my rigs. I like daily some say no way...its up to you.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

You really should try clients like BitSpirit, they use your ram to as a cache first then write to your HDD in longer intervals. This dramaticaly reduce Fragmentation.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
because they're running old OS's, and likely fat32. as you said, the older machines on the older OS are worst, because MS tweaks that stuff as they go along with updates to the file systems, and how the OS writes to the drives.

Actually, they're all running NTFS. I've heard that it's got a tendency to fragment, but I don't understand why it would so badly, given the scenario I described. It seems that just reading the files fragments them? That makes no sense at all. :confused: I'd be grateful to anyone that does know.

while not aimed at me, i have one thing to say: never pick a fight with a moderator. you lose the moment you try.

lol, yeah. :laugh: In hindsight, I think saying "troll" was a little too heavy and unfair, whether I had a point, or not, so my apologies to Sneeky for that. I can't say any more though - was discussed in PMs + off topic here. (Things are good now, BTW. :) ).

Last edited:

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
You need only defragment after placing a lot of data on the drive(s). For instance, if you just installed a game, several applications, and copied a music archive over from a backup (say, a total of 20 GiB), it would be a good idea to defragment.

Have to touch on that. Before will be much better and faster as there is 20GB less data to defragment.

Like others mentioned, prevention helps the most. I have swap partition (nothing else there), OS drive, games partitions, download partition and store partition.

Also fragmentation% doesn't need to correlate with the actual performance of the drive. You can have 1% fragmentation and still choppy video play. Say you have a 500GB drive full that looks like a Swiss cheese. Then you dumb a 6GB video file there, it'll fill all the holes and the file is written over the whole HDD area.

Take Vista's default defragment software that doesn't show you anything, you could have that happen. Easily with 3rd party defragger if you have too full hdd and don't defrag free space.

Oh and the comment on first page that IDE drive frament faster:

Newer drives do seem to fragment less at any rate.

My IDE drives needed defragging every month and were approx 30% fragmented.

I'd bet it's because your newer drives are bigger ;) HDDs write stuff on continuous empty space as long as there is some. The bigger the drive you have, less fragmented it'll get, unless you fill it.

I've had fragmentation higher than 70% (on more than one occasion) before I got around to defragging. I could never tell and my drives are still working great four years later.

The biggest drag on hard drive performance always was and always will be running at high storage capacity. The reason being that data passes the head much faster on the outer edge of the platters compared to near the center.

Another note: lots of small files create more fragmentation than few big files.

Actually this isn't entirely true. Small files are fragments by itself and operating system has no problem placing them wherever they fit right. But when you get a 4GB+ file, there is much higher probability that operating system will have to chop that huge file into pieces and fit them in available free space. So in reality, larger files make more fragmentation than small ones. Because even though small ones may be physically separated, they are still 1 fragment per file. Where large ones can be >100 fragments per file. And having separated files is always better than having fragmented files (be it small or large).

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
If you're running on Vista or 7, it automatically defrags the HDD (albeit not at it's max performance) when you're idling or are doing light work. No need to defrag everyday unless you move and shuffle around big files a lot.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hmmm... I really think this one is too close to call and I reckon the difference in wear and tear is minute anyway. Think about it, even with a perfectly defragged drive, the heads are gonna go all over the disk anyway, as the files are needed effectively in random order (yes, I know that Windows can do some optimisation here, but it's still effectively mostly random).

EDIT: Hey, this is post 777 - and I've been thanked X times in 77 posts! :rockout: