• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Wintel Alliance Slowly Crumbling, ARM To Eventually Rule The Desktop?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The writing has been on the wall for a while now, that the close relationship between Microsoft and Intel (and by extension AMD) is crumbling into dust. In fact, they have never really been the best of friends. It has been clear since Microsoft unveiled that Windows 8 would run natively on ARM processors that things would never be quite the same again. Apart from some niche server variants of Windows, which could run on Itanium and other processors, all the previous desktop versions, including Windows 7, have run on x86 (and x64 for the last 6 years or so) processors.

However, Microsoft is keen to increase its presence in the lucrative smartphone and tablet market, where it's not had much success so far, getting comprehensively trounced by Android and Apple. Microsoft would be happy to use an x86/x64 processor for this application, but here, the limiting factor is the energy source, the battery, forcing the entire device to consume very little power if it's to run for more than 5 minutes. To meet this requirement, processors based on the ARM architecture have met this need admirably for years, with excellent performance while the Intel x86 variants have not (see video below). This has lead Microsoft to forge a relationship with a new processor manufacturer, Qualcomm, who make their own variant of the ARM processor, called Snapdragon. In fact, the relationship is so close now, that Windows Phone 7 only runs on Qualcomm ARM chips.

Having Windows run on two processor architectures concurrently inherently puts them into competition, creating an uneasy, unstable coexistence (witness the death of the other architectures in the Windows server space) so it seems reasonable to expect that Qualcomm will end up competing head to head with Intel at some point. This should make for a very interesting situation, given Intel's strength and Microsoft's strength, which could be used to invest in Qualcomm to help it compete with Intel in the performance desktop market, which would be expensive and difficult in terms of R&D. Perhaps an alliance with AMD or IBM, given their design expertise could also be on the cards? Of course, the major show stopper for a full-on ARM onslaught into the desktop space is that "legacy" x86/x64 apps - which the whole world runs right now - either won't run at all, or will run poorly under some sort of emulator. The fact that all current ARM chips are physically optimised for low power rather than all-out data processing performance really doesn't help the situation, either.

For the moment, let's assume that this problem is successfully overcome, perhaps by porting various key apps over to ARM say. Due to the significant efficiency and performance improvements of the ARM architecture (see video below) x86 begins to be phased out, eventually disappearing. Now, where does this leave Intel? To go bust, obviously, as it can't sell any more x86 chips. No, of course not. Intel has had an ARM licence for years, so it seems logical that it would put its many superb data processing enhancement technologies into ARM chips, to create monsters that are capable of the blistering speeds we see today from x86 chips and then some. Intel really, really won't like this situation though. Why? Because at the moment, it's only proper competitor in the x86/x64 space is AMD, which conveniently for Intel, is some considerable way behind with its flagship Bulldozer architecture. One competitor. Easy to take care of. Could probably kill its x86 business if it wanted to, just by accelerating the performance of its chips by 50%. But then that pesky Competition Commission would start investigating…

However, the ARM CPU is made by literally hundreds of different companies, since ARM Holdings is a fabless company and makes its money by licensing the rights to make the processor. It doesn't take much of a stretch to see that some big hitter like IBM, who has similar expertise in building high performance processors (think PowerPC and POWER) could start competing with a high performance desktop variant of the ARM architecture. AMD will likely do the same, if they want to remain as a CPU manufacturer (they'd still have the profitable graphics card business to fall back on, so wouldn't die). Suddenly, Intel has lots of stiff competition from all sides and that extremely profitable niche that it has sat in for the last 30+ years due to licence exclusivity evaporates, perhaps eventually becoming a me-too commodity player with razor thin margins. Very painful, very humiliating, totally unthinkable. Maybe this is the real reason why Intel only ever made a half-hearted attempt with its Xscale ARM processors and the product line never really took off? It would have to literally be forced like this to make anything more of it.

So, you can see how it's completely in Microsoft's interest to move to ARM and absolutely not for Intel to do so. They now both want diametrically different things out of their long term relationship, so no wonder it's cooling off. Any bets on when the divorce papers will hit?

And now for that video. The short video below, originally found in an interesting geek.com article, compares a 1.6 GHz dual core Atom CPU in a netbook against a development board using a Cortex-A9 ARM CPU, configured as a dual core system, running at a mere 500 MHz. Yes, just 500 MHz. The results? Even with the netbook having a graphics accelerator and the ARM dev system not having one, the ARM was only slightly slower than the Atom! Of course, it consumed a lot less power than the Atom CPU too, which is critical. Note that this video dates from Jan 2010 and there's newer versions of both products now. However, it's still valid today, as the performance balance hasn't changed much between the two processor architectures. This is because the differences are inherent to them (x86 is hot and inefficient, basically) so it doesn't really matter how much each one is tweaked, the performance ratios will stay roughly the same.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Intel has a huge process advantage on most ARM offerings. I think Intel could make an x86 processor that is highly competitive in the smartphone market. It kind of makes me wonder why they haven't.

ARM doesn't have much hope of competing on desktops. All the applications you currently use won't work (including all games previously made).

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
The Skynet program has been authorised ^_^

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
one that intel or amd fail is the low powered processor in smartphone and we can see that ARM holds the smart phone level and intel/amd stay in desktop and laptop or tablets
i guess it will be like that. ARM strong enough in smart phone market, they wont risk their future with battling in desktop/laptop against intel or amd.
edit: if they plan to get in maybe they gonna put in low or mid range, i think its pretty reasonable since they have power in it

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
ARM will never fully take over on the desktop while still maintaining it's power efficiency. It's reduced instruction sets allow for reduced consumption. Start adding instruction sets that our current apps can take advantage of, and it will start to lose it's edge in power efficiency.

We use x86 on the desktop because they are more powerful, not because they are the most power efficient.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
I guess it's miss typo in title or maybe im wrong 'Wintel'.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That is nice for a smartphone, basically allowing a smartphone/tablet to run an full OS. Of course you have to find a way to cram enough space into a smartphone to run a full OS. Smartphones generally have a 16GB or 32GB SD card at best, good luck fitting Win8 on that with any usable space left over.

The x86 architecture isn't going anywhere in the desktop market. Look how long it took for x64 to take over.

And lets talk about performance. The video only shows me one thing, how slow ARM is. I guess it is fine if you are rendering a few low end sites with no moving flash/HTML5 elements. And that is generally the site type accessed by smartphones. However, even rendering generic sites with just text and some graphics the ARM processor was noticeably slower. I'd hate to see it handle some flash sites, or even youtube with HD video running. I bet it would fall on it's face compared to the Atom.

Is there anyone here that honestly thinks Intel couldn't created an x86 processor that competes with ARM processors in performance and power consumption?

Look at what we already have. The Cortex-A9 has a TDP of 1.9w @2Ghz, the Atom Z550@2GHz is only at 2.5w. That isn't a huge margin for Intel to make up. Hell, Intel could probably make that up by cutting out the Hyperthreading silicon, dropping a few instruction sets and the silicon related to those, and cutting the L2 in half.

Or better yet, carve out a new product using the things they've learned with Sandybridge. I don't have a doubt they could manage very close to 2GHz with the same or better performance to what ARM can offer.

p3ngwin1

Intel has a huge process advantage on most ARM offerings. I think Intel could make an x86 processor that is highly competitive in the smartphone market. It kind of makes me wonder why they haven't.

ARM doesn't have much hope of competing on desktops. All the applications you currently use won't work (including all games previously made).

atually no, Intel has had MASSIVE trouble getting any x86 processor to work with the power efficiencies needed for smartphones. they've been trying for YEARS.

they made the ATOM chip, by castrating existing desktop architectures (cutting cache, pipelines, atc) and still they couldn't get a chip to perform for use in a smartphone or tablet that would sip less than a WATT of power under load, and less than 1/4 WATT at idle.

there process advantage does not make them magically have an architecture that performs efficiently in netbooks, tablets and smartphones. they tried for years, and only now they have a decent processor offering approaching tablet form with good battery life. they still have years to go before they enter the smartphone market.

ARM is encroaching on x86 in a bif way, because it's easier for them to evolve their architecture for more performance at the desktop and enterprise/server than it is for Intel to figure out how to make portable efficient chips for smartphones, etc.

with Microsoft making Windows on ARM, a whole new generation of apps and games will be made, that means market share AWAY from x86. the more developers that make ARM software, the less that x86 dominates.

you think that just because x86 is massive it is too big to lose it's crown?

you would do well to read up on some history, as well as notice what is happening in the portable OS and device market right now. would you have said Apple's iOS would always dominate because it had the most developers and software ? or would you realise that Android would take everything from Apple's mobile market and dominate around the world ?

things change, and right now there are HUGE changes happening in the OS and processor architecture worlds. the last 30 years of x86 are already eroding, and the same is happening for the desktop and mobile OS shares.

wintel is dying quicker than ever.

D

Deleted member 67555

No....WIntel will stay strong because of newer battery technologies and smaller die size....It might not seem plausible now but neither did Today's smartphones 10 years ago

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
atually no, Intel has had MASSIVE trouble getting any x86 processor to work with the power efficiencies needed for smartphones. they've been trying for YEARS.

they made the ATOM chip, by castrating existing desktop architectures (cutting cache, pipelines, atc) and still they couldn't get a chip to perform for use in a smartphone or tablet that would sip less than a WATT of power under load, and less than 1/4 WATT at idle.

there process advantage does not make them magically have an architecture that performs efficiently in netbooks, tablets and smartphones. they tried for years, and only now they have a decent processor offering approaching tablet form with good battery life. they still have years to go before they enter the smartphone market.

I disagree. Atom was based on an extremely modified Core architecture, AFAIK. And is a product that they kind of threw together a few years ago, and haven't really done anything with it. And they still managed to get the processor power consumption down to the 2 watt range.

Now look at the current Sandybridge and what it is capable of. They have dual-core Sandybridge processors, full powered full featured chips, that sip just 17w. Image what they could get that down to just by ditching the silicon for HT, and the 3MB of L3 cache? And that is with a graphics processor, drop that and what does the power consumption numbers drop to? Cripple the memory controller(who needs dual channel 32GB RAM on a smart phone?), cut out the PCI-E lanes(don't need those on a smart phone), drop the unused instruction sets and the silicon related to those. What would the power consumption numbers look like then?

If Intel was worried, and they wanted to put their effort into it, I have no doubt they could put out an x86 processor today based on an extremely modified Sandybridge that could pull under 1w under load, and idle at under 0.25w and outperform the competition.

All of you are getting your panties in a twist over tech specs.

Guess what - it doesn't matter.

I can Skype, Facebook, send emails and play Angry Birds with a small fraction of the power already available today.

The only relevant 'tech specs' are that Intel is currently incapable of competing with ARM on the all-important idle power consumption. If they are able to address that then they can enter the smartphone race (albeit very late to the party). Intel is currently working very hard at this.

And to Wile E, people use Wintel because that's what the market determined was popular from the 1980s. They didn't choose it because of any tech related specification or power consumption.

Dorks bought a 386sx33mhz w/ 2mb of ram, a 80mb HDD and a Trident video card sitting on an ISA bus. People bought IBM-compatible PCs.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I can Skype, Facebook, send emails and play Angry Birds with a small fraction of the power already available today.

But I can't play a buttload (all of them actually) of games, do web design, render movies or anything on an ARM system. The problem I have with it has nothing to do with hardware, but with software. There's a gargantuan library of programs for Windows, all from nonsense to very advanced and everything in between. As long as any ARM system does not have that, I'm not interested, at least not as a desktop.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
When Windows for ARM is released.... the Atom is dead. Intel have failed over the last 3 years to sufficiently improve the Atom and its chipset. (Improvement being performance or power consumption according to Moores law). The Atom chipset was Intels real failing. FOr the sake of one $, they should have paired Atom with mobile ULV chipset from the outset. UNFORTUNATLEY, it was the result of large corporation silo mentality, one department not cooperating with another.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
That is nice for a smartphone, basically allowing a smartphone/tablet to run an full OS. Of course you have to find a way to cram enough space into a smartphone to run a full OS. Smartphones generally have a 16GB or 32GB SD card at best, good luck fitting Win8 on that with any usable space left over.

The x86 architecture isn't going anywhere in the desktop market. Look how long it took for x64 to take over.

And lets talk about performance. The video only shows me one thing, how slow ARM is. I guess it is fine if you are rendering a few low end sites with no moving flash/HTML5 elements. And that is generally the site type accessed by smartphones. However, even rendering generic sites with just text and some graphics the ARM processor was noticeably slower. I'd hate to see it handle some flash sites, or even youtube with HD video running. I bet it would fall on it's face compared to the Atom.

Is there anyone here that honestly thinks Intel couldn't created an x86 processor that competes with ARM processors in performance and power consumption?

Look at what we already have. The Cortex-A9 has a TDP of 1.9w @2Ghz, the Atom Z550@2GHz is only at 2.5w. That isn't a huge margin for Intel to make up. Hell, Intel could probably make that up by cutting out the Hyperthreading silicon, dropping a few instruction sets and the silicon related to those, and cutting the L2 in half.

Or better yet, carve out a new product using the things they've learned with Sandybridge. I don't have a doubt they could manage very close to 2GHz with the same or better performance to what ARM can offer.

Just to clarify a bit here, the ARM chip is a SoC - a system of a chip it has all the peripherals on the same chip (I yhink some of them even integrate the ram on die) while Atom is still mostly a multi chip solution(I think they've shrunk it to just 2 or 3 chips in its latest iteration) and once you combine the power use of all of the chips it's still in the 8-10w range.

Since when does GMA950 anything to the web content? And they are bullshitting about netbook having artificial advantage. GMA950 does NOTHING to web content, it doesn't acccelerate Adobe Flash and it doesn't even accelerate web content in Firefox through HW acceleration. So what kind of advantage does it give to netbook? None at all... How do i know it's GMA950? Because that's what they are comparing it to is the first generation ACER Aspire One with Atom N270 and GMA950. Which quite frankly wasn't anything to brag about even when it was released. I had it and it was fine, but compared to AMD Fusion, it's like bringing a toothpick to a katana fight... Power usage is not all that different, yet battery lasts much longer and i can work with much more demanding apps.

I like ARM because it's a comeptition and as such it can only be good for users but sometimes it's better to say nothing than talk BS...

Last edited:
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
qubit, I won't quit loving your news posts even if I don't agree with them. When ARM has something that can compete with Llano, or an I3, wake me up. Atom was a failure to me the moment it wasn't released in the cell phones it was intended for.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Just to clarify a bit here, the ARM chip is a SoC - a system of a chip it has all the peripherals on the same chip (I yhink some of them even integrate the ram on die) while Atom is still mostly a multi chip solution(I think they've shrunk it to just 2 or 3 chips in its latest iteration) and once you combine the power use of all of the chips it's still in the 8-10w range.

The Cortex A9 chip they are comparing it to is not a SoC, it is just the processor, probably with a lot of integrated aspects compared to the Atom, but still relies a lot on outside help as well. But as I said, Atom was something they just threw together using the old Core architecture, and then just kind of left it alone.

Doing the same based on Sandybridge, where everything except for data I/O is on the die already, and they still manage 17w, gives a good example of what Intel can do. And if they put their minds to it, and see ARM as a serious threat, there is no doubt in my mind they could put something out using a highly modified Sandybridge that consumes 1W or less and idles at a fraction of a W.

But either way you look at it, they are still trying to compare 2 products that aren't meant to be compared. Atom is a full fledged processor for a laptop/desktop computer, while ARM is really a smartphone processor. And if ARM every does make a serious move to desktops/laptop, they will be nothing more than web/media devices at best, certainly not something that will rule the market.

Last edited:
The specific example with Atom N270 and 945GS chipset is especially funny because just chipset alone consumes as much power as all the remaining components alone. Atom itself consumes a ffraction of a power where chipset was like 8W if not more.

paralityk

Sorry but it's simple as that: they can't. ARM is superior on very base level + dedicated processing units spread across SoC make the case even worse for x86.

"The Cortex-A9 has a TDP of 1.9w @2Ghz, the Atom Z550@2GHz is only at 2.5w."
This means that atom would be trashed by ARM performace wise, GPU is already way faster, not to talk about rest of SoC, oh, yeah, SoC, no slow buses etc.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Sorry but it's simple as that: they can't. ARM is superior on very base level + dedicated processing units spread across SoC make the case even worse for x86.

"The Cortex-A9 has a TDP of 1.9w @2Ghz, the Atom Z550@2GHz is only at 2.5w."
This means that atom would be trashed by ARM performace wise, GPU is already way faster, not to talk about rest of SoC, oh, yeah, SoC, no slow buses etc.

When ARM's FLOPs catch up with x86, it might pose a challenge. Otherwise, we will still see x86 everywhere, perhaps in less places than before as machines for simpler tasks like surfing the web gets replaced by ARM. The deciding battle will be of course tablets vs netbooks, which is why Intel is pushing for cheap ultrabooks to take tablets head on.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Thats exactly what I was thinking, Intel has money and technology, if they want to they can spin out an entire low TDP line for mobile devices. If the need comes those little monsters will be unleashed.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
When ARM's FLOPs catch up with x86, it might pose a challenge. Otherwise, we will still see x86 everywhere, perhaps in less places than before as machines for simpler tasks like surfing the web gets replaced by ARM. The deciding battle will be of course tablets vs netbooks, which is why Intel is pushing for cheap ultrabooks to take tablets head on.

The netbook phase is over. Tablets took over when Steve called them a pad and put an I in front of it. intel is aiming for somewhere in the middle. Success will be determined by the masses...not the learned. Without an "it" factor or cultural icon promoting it and because of the use of the word Ultra... intel has a mountain to climb with this one. Their greatest hope is that without Steve the pad phase will fade into FAD-dom.

Intel should however invest heavily in a serious answer to arm.... things change. Just ask the dinosaurs.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
The netbook phase is over. Tablets took over when Steve called them a pad and put an I in front of it. intel is aiming for somewhere in the middle. Success will be determined by the masses...not the learned. Without an "it" factor or cultural icon promoting it and because of the use of the word Ultra... intel has a mountain to climb with this one. Their greatest hope is that without Steve the pad phase will fade into FAD-dom.

Intel should however invest heavily in a serious answer to arm.... things change. Just ask the dinosaurs.

"MobileOS-pad" is here to stay, whether you like it or not. Its very efficient at what it does. I should have rephrase my "netbook", what I mean is a thin and light windows/mac/linux device with long battery and is price competitive against tablets. You cannot get rid of x86 easily yet, but when most of the utility programs migrate over we might be seeing ARM become more dominant over the others. Its still not feasible to ditch Wintel in favour of running ARM exclusively (server or consumer).

Intel's answer to ARM are Ultrabooks. Whether its their final answer, or the beginning of a series of answers I do not know. Either way their server business is still doing great, and I forsee them being the next IBM style company in a few more years(or decades).

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
i dont think it will kill off intel amd or anyone , it might squeeze proffits but intel and amd will if neccessary go with the flow of what will make them doe, either way x86/x64 architecture isnt going extinct anytime soon as corporate purchasing depts around the world wont be swithcing to arm just mobile devices