• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth flashing stable overclock bios?

System Name Amazing Experience
Processor Intel Core i5 7500
Motherboard MSI H110M Pro-VD
Cooling Deepcool Alta 7 (CPU) | 2x 120mm RGB Case Fans (Rear and Front)
Memory Hynix 16GB (2x8) 2400Mhz (13-13-13-28)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Storage Crucial BX500 120GB; Seagate Barracuda 1TB+2TB; Dell 1TB Ext. HDD
Display(s) HP 22es
Case Ant Esports ICE-211TG
Audio Device(s) F&D A110 2.1 Stereo Speakers
Power Supply Circle 500 Watts APFC
Mouse Redragon M609
Keyboard TVS Gold Mechanical Keyboard (MX Blue, PS/2)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
so for a couple of months i am using a decent overvolt oc on my 750 ti, it seems completely stable in all games though i haven't tried stress test because i don't like putting unnecessary load on my cpu and i feel it should be fine for most part. This is not my own made up overclock, i found this on an old reddit post through google search, i also have a decently aggressive fan curve which helps my gpu never go above 70c even in summers without ac. Yesterday i posted on reddit about my ram and gpu overclock, there was this guy who had decent oc on his 750 flashed and i asked him about my concern but he didn't reply.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Worth? I mean how much of a value is there in doing it? What do you gain, what do you lose?
Is it worth the time investment to tinker up your own BIOS to flash those settings or not? For some yes, for some no. I normally don't. I normally use MSI Afterburner myself for OC, and I also use it for its OSD capabilities, so in my case it would make no difference, I would be running it either way. So I don't see myself putting any time in to flashing a overclocked BIOS to any of my cards since I have no reason too. It would also perhaps mean I may have to flash it again in the future if for some reason it turns out to not be as stable as one would like in the long run.

But it can be fun to try if you have never done it before.

Also, "feel" it should be fine, doesn't equate to it being fine. I have no issue stressing any of my hardware because I know the way I use my computer, it will reach those use-cases sooner or later either way. And if it cant hold up with me pushing it a bit now, it surly will not when I need it to.

Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
Worth? I mean how much of a value is there in doing it? What do you gain, what do you lose?
Is it worth the time investment to tinker up your own BIOS to flash those settings or not? For some yes, for some no. I normally don't. I normally use MSI Afterburner myself for OC, and I also use it for its OSD capabilities, so in my case it would make no difference, I would be running it either way. So I don't see myself putting any time in to flashing a overclocked BIOS to any of my cards since I have no reason too. It would also perhaps mean I may have to flash it again in the future if for some reason it turns out to not be as stable as one would like in the long run.

But it can be fun to try if you have never done it before.

Also, "feel" it should be fine, doesn't equate to it being fine. I have no issue stressing any of my hardware because I know the way I use my computer, it will reach those use-cases sooner or later either way. And if it cant hold up with me pushing it a bit now, it surly will not when I need it to.
ok thanks, i have decided not to flash bios to be safe and just keep afterburner running in background, i do backup my profile before doing a clean install wonder if i should have a 2nd copy of it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Basically there are a lot of variables....

same brand? same P/N? same revision? --- Even though they might be the same brand and have the same P/N, the memory could have been changed based on what parts are avilable on the market. They might run low on Samsung chips so switch to SK Hynix or Micron Chips which dont perform the same and flashing his bios might make your card unstable or even brick it.

Then we get to the silicon. If you are both pushing roughly the same clocks then you might be ok. but if his clocks are higher then yours then its best you test your card at his clocks with afterburner before flashing it over.

with any GPU bios flash, you run the risk of messing up your card so back up your original bios and make sure you have a spare GPu handy incase you brick the card or are familiar with blind flashing.

I cant recommend it but youre free to try. Just dont get mad if your card gets messed up.

Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
Basically there are a lot of variables....

same brand? same P/N? same revision? --- Even though they might be the same brand and have the same P/N, the memory could have been changed based on what parts are avilable on the market. They might run low on Samsung chips so switch to SK Hynix or Micron Chips which dont perform the same and flashing his bios might make your card unstable or even brick it.

Then we get to the silicon. If you are both pushing roughly the same clocks then you might be ok. but if his clocks are higher then yours then its best you test your card at his clocks with afterburner before flashing it over.

with any GPU bios flash, you run the risk of messing up your card so back up your original bios and make sure you have a spare GPu handy incase you brick the card or are familiar with blind flashing.

I cant recommend it but youre free to try. Just dont get mad if your card gets messed up.
yeah, my 750 ti originally came with samsung memory but my broke it and then after replacement i got the one with hynix memory but still my overclock seems decent and i don't think it would have made much of difference, you know samsung 8nm euv is terrible on ampere cards so we just can't go by brand.

Dont do it, the risk of bricking your hardware CAN happen, and its sucks so bad when it does, you seems perfectly happy with your 750ti performance dont lose it all for just few percentage

Especially during a GPU shortage, you WOUNT find any decent deal on a new GPU even old ones are being sold above MSRP yeeeaaars after they launched, so be smart about things.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
yeah, my 750 ti originally came with samsung memory but my broke it and then after replacement i got the one with hynix memory but still my overclock seems decent and i don't think it would have made much of difference, you know samsung 8nm euv is terrible on ampere cards so we just can't go by brand.

Its not just about memory speeds but also ram timings.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Flashing the bios is asking for trouble. Just set it with a utility and be done with it.

Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
D

Deleted member 205776

vram also has timing? never heard of that
VRAM isn't any different from regular RAM. GDDR is just DDR but with insane bandwidth to accomodate GPUs. However, this comes at a cost of very loose timings. Here's an example:

GPUs just want raw super fast bandwidth for obvious reasons. Timings, while they do matter, they don't matter as much as on regular DDR.

Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
VRAM isn't any different from regular RAM. GDDR is just DDR but with insane bandwidth to accomodate GPUs. However, this comes at a cost of very loose timings. Here's an example:

GPUs just want raw super fast bandwidth for obvious reasons. Timings, while they do matter, they don't matter as much as on regular DDR.
wow, those seem more complex than normal ram but i don't think it makes a whole lot of difference because i never came across anything which says Samsung GDDR5 is faster than Hynix or Micron

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
wow, those seem more complex than normal ram but i don't think it makes a whole lot of difference because i never came across anything which says Samsung GDDR5 is faster than Hynix or Micron
Because it's not.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

It honestly depends on the card. For example I had a MSI 1070 Gaming X with Samsung ram and these would easily do over +700 (even close to or over +800 on some cards) on the ram in afterburner. Well, MSI didnt tell anyone and quietly swapped the Samsung memory with Micron or Hynix that didnt OC so well. People were buying these new 1070s then struggling to get even half of what others did with the samsung ram. Thats how the memory swap was discovered.

MSI had an issue where they were releasing 1070s from their factory that were running Micron/Hynix ram but still had the Samsung bios loaded on to them and this caused some instability issues with the newer ram swapped cards. MSI fixed this with a bios update.

As for Desktop Ram -- Samsung has been known to have miracle B-Die ram that is mainly sold to OEM builders and placed in things like servers and office PCs that are 1333 or 1600mhz but OC like absolute mad. Hynix, Micron havent been able to touch that kind of performance when it comes to overclockability.

There were a few members here that had some of that ram and created threads about them. Gotta see if i can dig them up.

Last edited:
Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
It honestly depends on the card. For example I had a MSI 1070 Gaming X with Samsung ram and these would easily do over +700 (even close to or over +800 on some cards) on the ram in afterburner. Well, MSI didnt tell anyone and quietly swapped the Samsung memory with Micron or Hynix that didnt OC so well. People were buying these new 1070s then struggling to get even half of what others did with the samsung ram. Thats how the memory swap was discovered.

MSI had an issue were they were releasing 1070s from their factory that were running Micron/Hynix ram but still had the Samsung bios loaded on to them and this caused some instability issues with the card. MSI fixed this with a bios update for the newer cards.

As for Desktop Ram -- Samsung has been known to have miracle B-Die ram that is mainly sold to OEM builders and placed in things like servers and office PCs that are 1600mhz but OC like absolute mad. Hynix, Micron havent been able to touch that kind of performance when it comes to overclockability.

There were a few members here that had some of that ram and created threads about them. Gotta see if i can dig them up.
i still wish my card didn't fail and i still had that samsung memory :(

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
i still wish my card didn't fail and i still had that samsung memory :(

Even if you did. there is no guarantee that yours would be able to OC as high. At the end of the day everything is still governed by the laws of RNGesus.

Meaning you could of had the samsung card but still not been able to OC worth a damn. Its all luck of the draw

The GTX 750 Ti is not going to get anywhere with overclocking. Go find a more powerful card if you can. I realize however the shortage of video cards has been a problem.

Display(s) HP 22es
Mouse Redragon M609
The GTX 750 Ti is not going to get anywhere with overclocking. Go find a more powerful card if you can. I realize however the shortage of video cards has been a problem.
yeah, shortage is really annoying and well i have got decent 5-8fps boost in games with my current oc so it's not that bad, i was looking to buy a 1060 3gb but guy is weird settled selling it yesterday despite saying to me that he's busy and will talk on monday. Hoping Brian from Tech Yes City is right and we could see more stock and a decent price decrease in upcoming months.