• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would you open a local PC repair shop nowadays?

John-D

I found this article when trying to help me decide to shutdown my residential computer repair business or to keep it open. I was 99% sure that I was going to shut it down however after having a residential computer repair business for over 20 years I just needed more feel-good info which I found here. In turn, I would like to share some experience.

Here's my story. I've been in the IT industry for over 30 years now. I started repairing computers for people while in high school back in the early 90's (out of my parents basement) and mostly for free because I just loved tech. Eventually this lead me to start my own 'computer business' which I did out of a duplex (renting out the other half and living in the other with the shop part basically the living room) because my parents didn't want people coming to the house - and I don't blame them for this at all and I don't recommend having people come to your house either. If you do, you'll learn. I even dropped out of college in the late 90's because I had too much business to do both. Nevertheless, back then computers were expensive ($3000 for a good computer) so it wasn't hard to sell a refurbished 5 year old computer for $500 or more and I charged an hourly rate for repair which was somewhat flexible based on what people could afford. Leading up to buying the duplex I was also doing some commercial jobs too which was all money in the bank. I still remember going to the book store to get a NOVELL book. lol

Anyway, I opened my first residential store around the year 2000 and hired employees. I found a house on a busy street in a good area and in front of an old plaza that I was able to live upstairs, work on the main floor, and I converted the garage into the residential store front. Anything that I could do, I did myself to save money and ALL of my time was spent in the business. It was nothing for me to spend 80+ hour weeks if not more to get things going.

Back then we charged a $25 Diag for someone to drop off the computer and had a 4 hour max for residential computer repair. Almost all repairs where easily over $100 for labor and training an employee to do check-ins and diags was pretty easy and low-cost so it worked out BUT residential repair was NEVER an easy or highly profitable business. ...BUT I will say that people would bring stuff to you to fix that was pretty easy which helped offset the hard stuff or problem customers. Back then this was also how we got referrals into businesses but in today's world it's all about your google business box.

Meanwhile computer prices continued to fall and customers got smarter. Eventually we stopped building computers around the great recession (2009) because they fell below $1000/computer. Around that time DELL also had a partner program which also made it profitable to resell DELL and we could focus more on service than hardware. Providing a hardware warranty to a customer was always a challenge because if something like the hard drive failed they expected you to fix the drive AND get it setup back on their network for free. All of a sudden, poof, that problem was gone and it was now a billable service after the Dell tech left or pre-Dell tech to backup the data/etc.

We also did spot check calling once a year where we would call everyone in the phone book and see what they would charge for a simple format, backup and format, etc. Most of them went out of business with-in the first year. A few lasted but none lasted longer than us. The two largest store owners died back in 2018/2019 both of which started early 2000's. I think both by suicide...

Eventually computer pricing kept falling and we had to change our rates to a $25 Diag plus Flat rate repair pricing for virus removal, backup and format, format, etc. (see picture) Around this time we took a dramatic hit to the bottom line for residential computer repair. In short, basically the residential repair center was only making around 69k/year on residential labor from service (exluding parts).

Best Buy, Staples, Office Max and others were also referring customers with hardware repairs to us so the store basically made a little bit of money on the hardware and esentialy no money on the labor because we had two techs making more than $15/hr plus 3-weeks PTO, 2-sick days, etc. (69k - 30k - 30k - benefits - OT) = 0. Keep in mind that the commercial side of business is paying utils, taxes, etc which are NOT included in the calculations here.

Over the years I hired hundreds of people and at the end of the day most could care less about you or your business. Yes you will find a few good ones but eventually most end up resenting you because they think that you're making a ton of money off of them but what they don't see are the 60hr+ weeks that you put in EVERY WEEK. In fact, I didn't even start taking vacations until the year 2008. The last 10 years (2010-2020) has been especially difficult with a lot of them lying about what they know or actually working without having to have their hands held. 2020 with COVID was even more difficult because a lot of people are getting paid NOT to work; and I can't blame them because if they're getting paid to stay home and play video games, why not? But the blessing here was that we sold almost all of our used hardware so you have to take the good with the bad.

Nevertheless, it's Kenny Rogers - The Gambler song - you have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

The last of my two residential techs were with me for a little over 5 years and their wages were increased each year. The one found a job making a little more working from home and the second said that he needed a break and was going to study and get his google certs 'EXPECTING' to find a remote support job making a lot more... probably because he saw that the other guy got a cake job. My final offer to him was $22/hr, no hardware repairs such as laptop screen replacements or laptop motherboards/etc, we'd drop our two lowest repair rates, and go to a first-in-first-out repair service. Basically we'd be at $79/hr for depot (residential) repairs only (see pic) but even I wasn't sure if I'd break even on his labor considering that we'd also lose some customers too; so part of me was hoping he'd decline, which he did and I was looking to close up the residential repair or hire and train more people... which for every 10 that you hire you might find 1 good one. Some companies in other industries that I know the owners hire 3 or 4 hoping that just 1 will show up.

At the end of the day, most of the residential customers were old and a lot of the easy fix money went away with Windows 10 because the semiannual updates fix a ton of issues. Customers also continued to get smarter from having tech in their everyday life which left only the hard repairs. Now with cloud services I feel that computer repair is going to get destroyed because if your data is in the cloud why not just format the device yourself. Or if your 2 year old $400 laptop needs a $200 repair, why not just buy a new one?

Essentially COVID has also advanced the industry 5-years forward with-in 1 year and I'm nearly certain that there's going to be a huge computer repair vacuum coming.

So, bottom line - My suggestion is this, if you want to go into the computer repair business you should focus on commercial accounts... but they too are also getting harder to find as customers move their software to the cloud and implement peer-to-peer networks. In fact, most of our small commercial customers are using office 365 on a peer-to-peer setup with everything important coming from the cloud service and their devices sync to OneDrive. Dying are the days were you made tons of money setting-up and maintaining multiple servers for SQL, Exchange, AD, BD, VPN, DHCP, DNS, File Sharing, Print Sharing, Antivirus, Backup systems, etc. and as customers understand this , they're going to move away from MSP's too because who needs a monthly bill for support if you never call them?

If you're smart enough and have the grit you can make it work but you're NOT going to get rich on residential computer repair.

Oh - and we never touched cell phone repair, newer Apple products, or the Microsoft Surface because they were highly unprofitable or a disaster for various reasons. I suppose if you're doing it yourself you could do it rather than sitting around but to pay someone to fix it was laughable... For example the surface is glue on fabric, good luck with that repair.

Best of success and I hope this helps.

PS: I also tried opening a second store back in the early 2000's too but I couldn't be in two places at once. Between the theft and bad employees it was a net loss. That area also had a lot more wealthy people too but that actually translated into LESS computer repairs because they'd just buy a new computer (get a data transfer to the new one) or their IT guy from work would take care of them. A computer store did open up there after I moved out but I think it was a constant struggle for him too but it goes to show that with the right people and determination you can make it work - but at what cost?

Attachments

• 2021-03-14-Rates-at-Closing.png
    2021-03-14-Rates-at-Closing.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 102
System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
i run mine from home now cos im retired but still honor the servicing of rigs ive built for folks for next to nothing. im glad i packed the shop in there too many overheads its like everyone wanted a bit of my blood. the best way in my view is to work from home or/and be mobile.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
the best way in my view is to work from home or be mobile.
I don't think so - not any more.

Well, I guess it depends on your goals.

I've worked IS/IT hardware support since the early 70s. 24 years in the military, 10+ years for a major software company supporting secure federal and state systems, then the last 15+ years owning my own custom PC, IT consulting and PC repair business which I run out of my home (although I had been doing PC building and repairs "on the side" for many years prior to striking out on my own).

Phase 1 of my career - By far, the military was the most stable and valuable with a constant paycheck, great benefits, great training, great experience in technical terms, but in leadership skills and personal discipline too. If not for the military, I would not have been able to get my electronics degrees or most of my certs.

That military experience (training and education) is also what allowed me to land a fantastic job in the civilian world after I got out of the military and into Phase 2.

Phase 2 - Working for the major software company (1 of 10 hardware techs supporting 400 programmers) was, by far, the most rewarding in terms of income. I was able to pay off all my bills, buy nice new vehicles, pay for my kid's education, contribute the maximum allowed to my 401K (retirement plan), put cash away for a rainy day AND still have money left at the end of the month - and last but not least, keep the "better half" happy.

BUT - the last two years I worked there I had to endure 4 rounds of lay-offs which created a very dark and extremely stressful work environment to work in. Everyone started looking out only for themselves instead of the team. Tension was off the charts. Let me tell you, lay offs are no fun. Or rather, worrying if you are next on the chopping block is no fun. Some very good people were let go. I have no doubt if I was one of the programmers, I would have been gone.

Phase 3 -After 10+ years and surviving the 4th round of lay-offs, and with a little help from what my dad (RIP :() left me, I quit that company and started my own business. The immediate response was lower blood pressure, my hair stopped falling out in clumps, and my "morning constitution" became "regular" again - if you know what I mean. ;)

BUT - there is NO WAY I could have supported a family, afforded the nicer things, or paid for my kid's education working for myself - especially during the first couple years on the income from being self-employed. If I didn't already have health-care insurance (by being retired military), my house paid, and a retirement nest egg, no way would I have had enough money after all my bills to survive - at least not at the standards we had become accustomed to. I would have had to seriously downsize.

Remember, if you are self-employed, you need to worry about health insurance, liability insurance, legal fees, advertisement (at least business cards, signs), taxes, business bank accounts, separate and secure floor space, internet, fuel, supplies and time. Lots of time! Don't forget, most ISPs do not allow you to run a business with a home internet account. Neither does your home-owners or renters insurance.

I eventually built up enough clients to create enough steady revenue to where I could comfortably pay my employees and myself enough to sustain my life - if that was my only source of income. But it alone never made me feel truly financially secure.

Here's another problem trying to start your own repair business today. 15+ years ago, close to 85% of my business income came from malware removal and repairs of damage caused by malware. Starting with Windows 7, that has steadily declined to considerably less than 10%. Why? Two reasons. First, Microsoft finally got tired of being relentlessly blamed for the actions of the bad guys! So they started putting security ahead of convenience, legacy support, and flexibility to the point we rarely see an infected W10 system today. And second, users in general are more "security aware" and less "click-happy" on unsolicited links.

Another problem (for having your own "successful" shop) is more and more users are more inclined to building and repairing their own, instead of paying someone else to do it. And that's because it is much easier today - not to mention electronics tend to be very reliable.

So my point is, unless you already have the capital ($$$) or a major investor/backer to get you going and to sustain you the first couple years, the best way, in my view, is to work for someone else - preferably a big company that has their own IT department. Use them to gain your experience, education, certs and training (and resume/CV material).

Then, after your house is paid off, the kids are on their own, and your retirement income is secure (remember - Social Security alone is not enough), then you can convert that now spare bedroom or basement area into a shop and start your own little business to "keep your head in the game".

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
depends on your goals.
sure do buddy, mine was a small boutique rig building shack which i relied on word of mouth to bring my custom but now retired it not about making money its more about helping some of my old customers "friends" to do it them selfs.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I relied on word of mouth advertising too. More satisfying, IMO.

Plus, it keeps you on your toes because "one 'aw sh!t' wipes out a 1000 attaboys".

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
running a PC repair business out of a official store would be tough. you have overhead costs, like rent, utilities, any employee wages, supplies & tools, tax's etc to consider.
it would cost you more money than you earned for a long time, & if you really got popular, there might be a chance for you to begin to earn a profit years down the road, bear in mind a chance.

A way to try this idea, without so much risk, would be to perform the service, DBA 'your yourself' or as your PC repair store name, from home, utilizing the internet & social media to reach your customers.
businesses are tough, theres so many factors many never think of, until theyre facing them, which can cost people financial health, both of the business, & personally. A business is a part of its owners, a entity that needs to be cared for, & fed. If things go bad, the owners are who is left bearing that cost, sometimes to their detriment. Closing the doors of a business isnt the end of its impact, that can go on for years past the ending of a company. id consider it as if it were any other major life choice before making any decisions.

agreed its a nice way of doing biz and if people like our work thay keep coming back.

John-D

Another problem (for having your own "successful" shop) is more and more users are more inclined to building and repairing their own, instead of paying someone else to do it. And that's because it is much easier today - not to mention electronics tend to be very reliable.

This is a good point, we had a lot of people that started coming to us last year because they purchased everything themselves and either screwed up the build or got cold feet... but not enough to make a business out of it. We might have charged 1 or 2 hours, as you know - there are a lot of factors in a build. Especially when one comes in DOA. For the less-than one or two a month - that doesn't put food on the table.

This also brings up another point... Back in the early 2000's before everyone purchased online we would purchase from the west coast MALABS, or cables from PIMFG and have stock shipped and stocked in-house. This required some level of risk because you didn't know if you would sell it and at the same time an advantage over the competition because even they would come to us to buy it at our 20-35% markup because it was cheaper than next-day shipping. The pricing was great but ground-shipping took a solid 7-days. Once Amazon became popular and we could source hardware in 2-days with similar and many times lower pricing, so we eventually stopped stocking all kinds of stuff... and the other guys are did the same.

Not to mention the items that were left rotting on the wall (still there) because you got stuck with them. Over the last few years the only items we still stocked were a couple power supplies, keyboards, mice, various cables like USB, VGA, etc, SSDs, SSD adapters, one or two External Hard drives, two Flash Drives, and that's about it. As of this email main sellers were 500GB Samsung SSDs 860 or 870 EVO (used in upgrades), 1TB Externals for customers with more than 64GB of data that wouldn't fit on a flash disk, and the adapters for HDD to SSD upgrades.

Places like Ingram Micro, Synnex, and others are great for large businesses that need to buy a LOT of pieces but for the computer repair guy you're almost never able to buy from them (but you have to check just in case) because that pricing is usually MORE than Amazon PLUS you pay for shipping... Places like Ingram also ding you with a $2 min fee if your order is under two to five hundred and free shipping is well over $1000... so even with 7-day quantity limits that Amazon might have on SSD drives you usually can find other places like Best Buy, Staples, Office Max and others to get your product in a pinch.

So hardware, that was once profitable, was reduced to just a few items and in some cases you might have to 'price-match' making it an at-cost, near-cost, or even a below-cost sale depending on how badly you wanted it out of inventory. IE it's better to sell it than to have it hanging on the wall 20 years later.

For example, just 3-weeks ago before closing the residential store we purchased (21) Lenovo laptops for $359.99 from staples and listed them for sale at 459.99 - Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15IIL 81WE 15.6" Notebook, Intel i3, 8GB Memory, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 (81WE001RUS) - now the pricing is $529.99. https://www.staples.com/lenovo-idea...gb-ssd-windows-10-81we001rus/product_24435797

Sounds like a great deal until you subtract the customer's credit card fees, your time to shop all the sites and sales... and know what a good price is. Take the risk of stocking ( in this case over $7500 ), etc, etc. Fortunately I was still with-in the return window when my last residential tech resigned and staples accepted the return. Sometimes they don't, for example Best Buy has changed a lot of their policies so you might be able to return a few at one store and then go to another store. A lot depends on the store manager too but Staples and Office Max have been pretty good over the years. Best Buy even removed points for tax-exempt customers years ago. With DELL for example, no returns but they can't compete on the low-end anyway Lenovo and HP took the lead there but on the flip side, DELL is great for commercial because of the onsite warranties that they offer.

The rest of the inventory worth anything will be eventually used on the commercial side but I still have IDE drives from the early days brand-new and sealed in the box. Let that sink in for a minute. IE if you're selling SSD drives for 89.99, buying them for 64.99 (or less if you find a deal) and then get stuck with one you just zapped your profit on 3 to 4 sales. Don't forget to subtract credit card fees and your time if you're working for a living.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Even though it's not Nov 2019 and is covid 2021 response is still no way Jose.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not to mention the items that were left rotting on the wall (still there) because you got stuck with them.
Yeah, I learned this very early on. I could get some [fairly] decent discounts if I bought parts in quantities of 10, for example. But it seemed the day after I purchased them, either the same maker or a competing maker would release something better, faster and often cheaper. So suddenly my decent discount cost me more in the long run because I couldn't sell the last 4 or 5 units.

The big makers can go to Intel, ASUS, WD, etc. and promise to buy 1,000,000 units over the next year, demand and get HUGE discounts, and actually sell them. No way did I have that kind of purchasing clout.

So I ended up telling my clients I could not compete in price with Dell, HP, Acer, etc. But I could build a better system that was custom built for their actual needs - plus, I was typically 1 phone call and less than 20 minutes away.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
PC repair used to be hard like in the 80s and 90s with interrupts and all the manual settings. But with the advent of plug n play and standards, shit ppl don't even know that term today since it's become so ubiquitous. But nowadays all ya do is replace not repair.

Hi,
Even though it's not Nov 2019 and is covid 2021 response is still no way Jose.
Yeap, ten foot pole...

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Well, I did have a computer shop/repair years ago. Back then computers were actually a significant investment and people took care for them, but they started to be a disposable commodity and now not many people think of them otherwise. Most people just buy a computer in a cheapest store they can find (and as a small shop you can't fight with the volume the big ones push) and when something breaks they either send it for a warranty repair or just buy another one. You need to provide a specific, unique service to set yourself apart - data recovery might be a good thing to learn right now.

John-D

- data recovery might be a good thing to learn right now

Basic data recovery is easy using sector regenerators and other software however beyond that you're going to set up a referral to OnTrack for specialized data recovery. This area was also more popular before cloud storage. Now smart people just backup to the cloud and the rest usually aren't willing to pay to fix beyond something easy and cheap. That's why we charged $109 up front for the whole process and then may have gotten a flash drive or external drive sale out of it. Only a handful of customers paid OnTrack their rate over the years. I think $2500 comes to mind for one customer but that pricing has changed a lot too.

System Name (2008) Dell XPS 730x H2C
Processor Intel Extreme QX9770 @ 3.8GHz (No OC)
Motherboard Dell LGA 775 (Dell Propiatary)
Cooling Dell AIO Ceramic Water Cooling (Dell Propiatary)
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4) DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB (2016 ebay-used)
Storage (2) WD 1TB Velociraptor & (1) WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Alienware 34" AW3420DW (Amazon Warehouse)
Case Stock Dell 730x with "X" Side Panel (65 pounds fully decked out)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Titanium & Corsair SP2500 Speakers
Power Supply PSU: 1000 Watt (Dell Propiatary)
Mouse Alienware AW610M (Amazon Warehouse)
Keyboard Corsair K95 XT (Amazon Warehouse)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate & Alienware FX Lighting
Benchmark Scores No Benchmarking & Overclocking
How much money do you need to start a computer repair company?
Many thanks Irvin for your commentary and which was 100% on point. I like also to say greetings from Bragg , Smoke Bomb Hill and JFK Special Warfare Center and most important from Sicily and Normandy Drop Zones. It's not often anymore that I see PC repair shops but do regulary visit our local 'computer shows' where mostly Asians and Bangladesh and Nehru Place nationals doing their business. They usually now work out of stripcenters in the bad side of town and out of the way industrial parks and shared warehouse space. Their service once you are connected to them and accepted into their fold maintains to be extraordinary. There is nothing they can't fix and having unbelievable access to hardware and pricing.

They can build you a (new ATX case) PC cobbled together from used and new parts that will make your heart sing and for prices to be believed. They are also connected to a host of cryptominer's and have access to used GPU's simply not available in the current market again at super pricing. How do they make their money? I can only say they are very crafty, perhaps making due with less money, doing business solely by word of mouth, providing sterling service in less than 24 hours, being unmatched in upgrading PC's and cash is always king, etc. I also think that the computer shows are important to them and the sales of their hardware from special connections. About 80 or so used crypto 980ti and 1080ti's where gone within 5-hours once the word gotten out on the streets. I bought a 980ti just for fun, good to have and standby at $125 cash. Now the word is that soon most Z490 mobos can be had at really good prices along with name brand AIO's of which the market is already flooded.

So all in all I think that the "PC Repair Shop" business is still alive but in a much different format and with different operators and expectations. The next PC show (the first one since the restrictions lifted) has already been announced and dealer space as predicted has been sold out. I wonder what the scuttlebutt will be and the news for the 'man on the street' like me? Most certainly news different from what you hear on sites like these.

Last edited:
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Basic data recovery is easy using sector regenerators and other software however beyond that you're going to set up a referral to OnTrack for specialized data recovery. This area was also more popular before cloud storage. Now smart people just backup to the cloud and the rest usually aren't willing to pay to fix beyond something easy and cheap. That's why we charged $109 up front for the whole process and then may have gotten a flash drive or external drive sale out of it. Only a handful of customers paid OnTrack their rate over the years. I think $2500 comes to mind for one customer but that pricing has changed a lot too.
First things first, Ontrack is a huge company with equally huge overhead, so you pay thousands for recovering data from a dead SD card. Most of such jobs are not beyond the abilities of someone with good soldering skills, PC3K Flash and a few thousand hours of experience, for a much lower price. Most people are not National Geographic photographers who can afford to pay twenty thousand euros to recover photos from a camera which fell into a volcano, but they can afford a thousand to recover photos from their one in a lifetime trip to Machu Picchu. Five such jobs and you're in the black.
Secondly, as a repair shop you don't earn money on smart people. Smart people don't spill coke on their laptop and put it a bag of rice for a day because a YouTube video told them to do so. Smart people have at least one backup.

John-D

but they can afford a thousand to recover photos from their one in a lifetime trip to Machu Picchu. Five such jobs and you're in the black.

We never charged a customer more than $109 for data recovery that we could do on a mostly automated system or using software. More costly data recovery would have required us actually working with the customer to recover their data but usually not more than another $109. And those larger data recovery jobs where usually around ONE customer a year so I'm not sure where you live but yes you could shake the customer down for money if you wanted to but we got referrals from good karma.

And yes, there were plenty of smart people that still came to us. Not everyone has everything backed up at all times. ...they were also smart enough to put a limit on their data recovery price too.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
15 years ago I looked into opening my own shop because I was eligible for financial assistance from the the State Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I'd already successfully managed two businesses in other fields and it seemed like an attractive proposition at the time. After filling out far too many forms and attending countless meetings with the DVR a point I hadn't previously considered came up: Market saturation. Who would I be competing with? How would I attract enough customers to stay in business? Unlike the other two businesses I'd ran (Midas automobile service center and a convenience store) that had a guaranteed flow of new and repeat customers I'd be looking at a far smaller prospective customer base even in a large metropolitan area plus potential liabilities became things that eventually led me to abandon the idea. Looking back it was the correct decision because every small computer shop in the area from back then has been gone for years now. I made a far better living working for somebody else and letting them deal with all the headaches and pitfalls business owners know far too well.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
You really gotta diversify if you can.... Be more than just a PC repair shop - Be an internet cafe + PC repair shop that way you still have some coin coming in. You really have to diversify and spread your net so much unless youre operating out of our own home/garage.
I don't know of a single person who uses internet cafes anymore, maybe they are a thing elsewhere.

I would start building business contacts, small offices will pay top dollar for support since most don't and can't afford dedicated IT, and the big boxes charge a lot for very little service rendered.

You will need to know about networking, hardware firewall setup, be able to sell hardware at a markup, and convince them the reason they have so many issues is from buying overpriced "cheap" hardware, like AIO machines that when they doe with important files....

System Name 1U DAW Servers, too many too share specs on.
Advertise you specialize in building an Audio Workstation (DAW) or gaming PCs as well as repair and maintain them.
I buy parts myself and take them to a repair shop to assemble and install the OS.
Then I can tweak the OS and BIOS myself.
Letting them do diagnostics on parts and installing the OS costs me 150-200 bucks.

Saves me the headache.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
a point I hadn't previously considered came up: Market saturation
I have seen this too. When I got out of the military in 1995, the world was begging for IT specialists - programmers and hardware techs like me. So I actually had a really good job lined up before my actual retirement date! :)

But over the next 5 - 10 years universities and community colleges really ramped up degree and certification curriculums for developers and techs. The result is the market became saturated with programmers and techs and entry level salaries plummeted. This is exactly how/why (along with electronics reliability being so good) Level 1 tech support, Best Buy, and cell phone repair places don't have a problem hiring new techs at or below minimum wages.

(Edit comment: Fixed typo - B_B)

Last edited:
System Name Mass Effect/Lost Ark
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming/Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S/AMD Wraith Max
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200/Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Mech 2x/MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSDs x2, WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB 1TB NVME M.2
Display(s) Acer XF270H 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG ATX Mid Tower/CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Actis Nova 3 RGB
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Thermaltake Level 10 M/Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Edition/Steelseries Apex 3 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro OEM 64bit/Ubuntu 22.04.1 64bit
Wealth of information in this thread. Highly informative, I've only built and supported systems for friends and family. Though if anyone wanted to take the next step they should definitely start here.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Friend of mine got by doing this from her shop for about 10 years, the early years she could do it from her own footfall, people bringing in broken pc, or pc's to be upgraded. However once smartphones and tablets took off, it fell of a cliff, but she managed to keep going as a major PC retailer was outsourcing work to her, this was probably during her last 3-4 years about 90% of her work, without it she would have been done. But then this retailer hit financial trouble, and it merged with another store which then stopped all the work been sent to her.

The problem now days I think is multiple things.

Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops are the casual user base.
PC's are typically either consumed by businesses or gamers, and gamers more and more frequently will either be knowledgeable to do themselves or will just buy a prebuilt, and when they buy prebuilt then they go to that vendor if they have any problems.

I think even smartphone repair one would struggle because that is now a really saturated market a bit like how round here there is a food takeaway on every street.

You might ask why didnt she prebuild? That's really really hard when big boys are doing it as they have economy of scale, also hard to convince someone to trust you as a sole trader, when they not sure you will be around in a few years to solve any problems, whilst a big outlet probably will be. May have been a different story if she prebuilt from the start, but at the start repairs/upgrades were keeping her busy.

Now she works as a technician for a large call centre.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I wouldn't count on it, because those who want to DIY fix their PCs have plenty of free resources on the web; OEMs have improved their on-site service; and consumers like to pick up AMCs from the brand (the equivalent of AppleCare+), ditto with businesses.

Rather you could explore boutique/bespoke high-end gaming desktops as a business idea. Those who don't want to build complex liquid cooled rigs and can't choose their parts well; would rather buy from you. Be sure to market yourself as a "systems integrator" and not a "prebuilt vendor." There's a distinction to be made here, because you're selling the service of assembling parts, not the product itself; so you save yourself a ton of liability and regulatory costs. Make sure every customer signs an agreement at the time of purchase that makes it clear that they're only paying you to assemble parts you buy in their name, your warranty is limited to any flaws with the assembly, and that individual parts carry their own warranties and service verticals.

Then again, running a boutique PC assembly business is fraught with the risk of scalpers drying up parts for you, since you'll be buying mostly from the retail channel. Big OEMs have their own means of getting their parts.