• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Result: With 16 or more PCIe lanes going to a video-card, you can expect huge levels of EMI within the hub despite the PCIe itself being a 'non-shared' bus like the PCI.

Impact: Devices sensitive to EMI like sound-cards and HDTV-capture cards experience loss of output quality.

agreed! and for anyone else that might not be aware of it, there's a section in post #1 that covers various EMI with the X-Fi.

But, the only reason I had originally figured they wanted to move towards PCIE was because of how much of a BUS hog the X-Fi is. There are far too many generic, OEM and low to mid range motherboards on the market that don't negotiate the PCI BUS well and it leads to a lot of audio clipping. Someone going out and buying a mid-range eMachines or Dell and then trying to upgrade to a XGFP might not be happy with how the card sounds in-game.

I agree, too, that PCI must continue, and I'm sure within the next couple of years we might actually see another advancement in the PCI architecture as it is. There's no way Creative would be dumb enough to develop an AGP card, considering that AGP is very slowly being phased out . . . but if their next gen audio processors are more powerful than the X-Fi, they'll have to do something . . .

mysticjon

Processor AMD Phenom x4 9850 black edition
Cooling big water 745
Memory Kingston 4gb(1gbx4) ddr2 (dual channel)
Video Card(s) ati sapphire radeon hd 6850
Storage 2tb
Display(s) samsung 226bw 22 inch wide lcd screen
Case apeiva qpack2
Audio Device(s) creative soundblaster X-fi fatal1ty series
Power Supply silent pro 600watt modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
hey i have owned an soundblaster x-fi fatal1ty edition for sometime, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does the red LED that illuminates the fatal1ty block on the card, can it be taken off.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
potentially, it doesn't look that hard to do. My only reservation, I don't know if those circuits feed any other component on the card.

If you're trying to keep them from lighting up, remove the two screws that hold the LED cover in place, and on the inside of it, you can put a small piece of electrical tape or duct tape to cover where the Fatal1ty logo shows through. It'll block the LEDs from illuminating it.

If you have the guts to take the risk, though, the two LEDs should unsolder from the PCB without much of a problem - but that's your call, you could seriously damage the card doing so . . .

mysticjon

Processor AMD Phenom x4 9850 black edition
Cooling big water 745
Memory Kingston 4gb(1gbx4) ddr2 (dual channel)
Video Card(s) ati sapphire radeon hd 6850
Storage 2tb
Display(s) samsung 226bw 22 inch wide lcd screen
Case apeiva qpack2
Audio Device(s) creative soundblaster X-fi fatal1ty series
Power Supply silent pro 600watt modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
potentially, it doesn't look that hard to do. My only reservation, I don't know if those circuits feed any other component on the card.

If you're trying to keep them from lighting up, remove the two screws that hold the LED cover in place, and on the inside of it, you can put a small piece of electrical tape or duct tape to cover where the Fatal1ty logo shows through. It'll block the LEDs from illuminating it.

If you have the guts to take the risk, though, the two LEDs should unsolder from the PCB without much of a problem - but that's your call, you could seriously damage the card doing so . . .

yeah thank you, i wasnt sure if somehow the the circuits powering the LED were intertwined with other circuits that could be useful in other areas of the card. i actually wanted to switch out the LED to a different color and used "less" power" if thats even the case.

D

Deleted member 24505

I think it would be safe to remove the leds,why would the circuit neet to be for anything else.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I think it would be safe to remove the leds,why would the circuit neet to be for anything else.

I would tend to agree - but you can never be sure sometimes, y'know?

i actually wanted to switch out the LED to a different color and used "less" power" if thats even the case

that's defi doable. Again, they'll have to be removed with a soldering gun and installed the same way, but it's not too hard if your careful.

I'm not sure on the voltage spec for the LEDs, though. I couldn't imagine that they'd be 12v, and I eve doubt 5v. More than likely they're either 3.3v or 1.2v LED - if they're in series with each other, probably 1.2. Anyhow, you can either take a voltage reading at the LED pins themself - or just go ahead and try replacing them with a different unit.

If you do notice any markings on them, try googling them and see if you can run across some specs for them.

N

namrac

X-FI Fatal1ty Professional Series High Pitch Noise

I have had this card for 3 weeks now and I can't seem to get the card to work all the time. The problem is every few hours or more of gaming the card goes to a high pitch constant sound that can only be stopped by rebooting. If I change to a different mode in the console it will stop the screech however the card will not work (no sound or Mic) until a reboot. I have requested a refund from newegg however I still have a few more day to solve this before I have to send it back and throw away $27 dollars and I love the sound! This is a problem that other people have since it is on creative forum with no one having a clue how to resolve this.

This is the thread on creative if interested

http://forums.creative.com/creative...essage.id=76653&view=by_date_ascending&page=8

HELP !!

Asus P5N3sli Premium
Intel Duel Core 6600 3gh oc
2 Gig Ram
SLI Mode 2 EVGA 8800 GTS Cards
Antec 900 case
Roswell 650w CERTI SLI power
XP service pack 2 lastest
ALL Drivers Bios etc are latest

Last edited by a moderator:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
a few questions right off the back . . .

1. What X-Fi model do you have? And, which interface does it use, PCIE or PCI?

2. Did your X-Fi come with a heatsink over top the audio processor?

3. Aside from your 2 8800s, do you have any other adapter cards installed in any of the PCIE or PCI slots?

4. What on-board hardware do you have enabled, and you do have onboard disabled, correct?

It sounds to me like it's either an overheating issue, the card is losing control of the PCI BUS, or its interrupt isn't being answered by the motherboard's chipset.

N

namrac

a few questions right off the back . . .

1. What X-Fi model do you have? And, which interface does it use, PCIE or PCI?

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

2. Did your X-Fi come with a heatsink over top the audio processor? Yes

3. Aside from your 2 8800s, do you have any other adapter cards installed in any of the PCIE or PCI slots?

No I have removed evertythng including the onboard sound card

4. What on-board hardware do you have enabled, and you do have onboard disabled, correct?

I have disabled the sound card and removed all drivers there is no onboard video and I have the nic's enabled.

It sounds to me like it's either an overheating issue, the card is losing control of the PCI BUS, or its interrupt isn't being answered by the motherboard's chipset.

I believe it is an interrupt by reading the hundreds of posts on creative. Some say this card cannot share an interrupt and that is the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I don't think the onboard NICs would interfere with the PCI BUS, so that shouldn't be an issue . . .

Do you have an option in BIOS that allows you to adjust the PCI slot latency? If so, try bumping the PCI latency from [32] to [64] or from [64] to [96] (depending on the default value). This may help.

Also, you have WIN XP installed, not WIN Media Center Edition, correct (wanted to make sure, as some programs look at MCE as XP)?

Out of curiosity, do you have this audio problem if you only run one GPU?

N

namrac

Yes I am running XP and I will check on the other things tonight. I have not tried to run just one PGU however many others have posted that even 1 gpu and sli board will cause this problem. Out of curiosity did you happen to look at that thread I posted on my previous message I know that you are very knowledgeable about this and may find it interesting reading.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
The only reason I asked if you still had the issue with only one GPU installed, is that would tell me it's definitely a problem with the chipset not negotiating the BUS correctly, and allowing the two GPUs to have more control than they should.

Even one GPU on an nVidia chipset is known to cause this problem, too . . .

Increasing the PCI latency of the BUS might help the audio card to retain control of the BUS long enough it can carry out it's business, but it won't always work, either.

I just get the feeling this might be out of my ability to help solve as I'm fairly certain it's a conflict problem on the hardware level. I'll still try to help you pinpoint exactly where or what is causing the problem, though.

Check with nVidia to see if there are any chipset/INF updates (ASUS should have the newest updates available on their site). But, you might have to continue to pester ASUS, nVidia and Creative over this issue.

Out of curiosity did you happen to look at that thread I posted on my previous message I know that you are very knowledgeable about this and may find it interesting reading.

I only kind of glanced over it, I haven't had the time yet to read through most of the thread. I do intend to, though.

N

namrac

Thank you for your time I had to make a decision today either keep the card and trouble shoot without hope or send it back to Newegg for a full refund (man I love Newegg). I decided to pickup a Barracuda AC-1 gaming audio card since it has been reported that there are no bugs for my chipset. Thanks for your time and help on this matter. BTW does it bother you that Creative has known about this forever and has not addressed it as of yet.

I did try what you suggested and still got the screech which is why I sent card back this morning.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Thanks for your time and help on this matter. BTW does it bother you that Creative has known about this forever and has not addressed it as of yet.

hey, it's no problem, man. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I can't really say that it bothers me, but I think it's rather pittiful on Creative's part - my own opinion, I don't think they spent enough time product testing the X-Fis before going to market with them. Also, the numerous problems with only nVidia chipsets has a bit to do with nVidia's architecture - they've designed chipsets in the past that allow the graphics card(s) to have almost full reign of the BUS. It allows for much better frame rates and performance, which is what they're after. I don't really like it, but it's how they do things. Creative just didn't really take the time to research and address the issue.

Best of luck with your new card, man!

S

segovich

New Driver for X-Fi extreme music

Hi imperialreign I need some help, something interesting happened to me today, I have a year and half old X-Fi extreme music card, from the beginning was working kind of ok some pop and clicks but hell I get used to it! but then one day after I booted up the machine started doing some kind of a high pitched noise, the only way to get rid of it was booting again! and it became an every day practice for months just around July 2007 I installed again my windows Xp due to a new harddrive installation and I found from TECHPOWERUP website a BETA Driver downloaded and was working flawlessly until TODAY

http://www.techpowerup.com/?35990

well the driver I had timed out today was very difficult for me to put my machine back to work after I tried using the latest 2006 driver from sound blaster website my machine crashed and was into an infinite loop until I cleaned the drivers leftover in SAFEMODE and physically pulled out the card from the PC

for now I'm using the stinking on board audio very sad that SB doesn't release any newer driver the the 2006 and solve a lot of the existing problems!

how we can use that beta driver unlocking the due date? there any solutions??
Thanks!

my machine is (no over clock):
AMD X2 4800+
MSI K8N NEO4 platinum NF4 ultra PCB1.0
2GB RAM OCZ DDR400
EVGA 7900GT KO SC 512MB
2 WD Raptors RAid 0 74GB
4 WD5000AAKS
Thermaltake TR2 500 PS

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
well, if the beta driver timed out, there isn't much you can do about that, honestly. Sometimes, manufacturers will 'time' their beta drivers during their testing period.

Just to make sure, have you checked for any updates to your motherboard BIOS and motherboard's chipsets?

To be honest, it sounds more like a hardware problem with the card - the drivers for it have nothing to do with any sound the device might put out when the system in initially booted up . . . the driver doesn't come into play until WIN starts to boot. First, though, check you speaker connections on the back of the card. A loose plug, or one that is falling out can pickup feedback when the system boots and the card is powered up.

If your speaker connections are alright, and if possible, you might want to try installing the X-Fi into a different PCI slot. Turn off the computer, move the audio card to a different slot, and boot up. If you don't have the issue that you had before, you should be alright, but that would indicate that there might be a problem with the motherboard. If everything seems alright with the card in a different slot, turn the computer back off, remove the audio card and reboot, then, remove all the drivers from WIN using the driver setup utility in the C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-FI\Program directory. Then run a registry cleaner, if you have one, and remove all the old Creative driver references. Turn the computer off, re-install the X-Fi into the good slot, boot up and install the driver from the installation CD.

Let me know how that works out for ya!

S

segovich

imperialreign the X-Fi problem is a combination of hardware and software problem, it is well known that X-Fi cards have incompatibility issues with NFORCE chipsets nothing new there but the questions is that the beta driver I had was working ok much better than the one I used before from the creative website, now because expired we don't have a replacement until today I found this link I will try that later I'm lazy to open the machine again

http://connect.creativelabs.com/beta/default.aspx

thanks!
Leo

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
yeah, the first chipset that was recognized as actually having a problem was the NF4s. I would've recommended the beta driver sooner, I guess I just got confused as to what you were explaining. No problem.

If in the future you need to check on what the most current drivers are, both beta and alpha, check post #1 in this thread - I update the listed driver numbers as soon as I notice that there has been a newer release. Plus, there are links to where the most current drivers can be obtained.

N

namrac

WOW I wonder if this beta would have helped me with my problem? I guess I will never know until I find a cheap X-FI somewhere just to satisfy my curiosity.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
WOW I wonder if this beta would have helped me with my problem? I guess I will never know until I find a cheap X-FI somewhere just to satisfy my curiosity.

Maybe - but I typically don't recommend installing beta drivers for what is typically a hardware conflict, simply because beta drivers aren't supported and could cause more problems than they're worth . . .

it would really help, though, if Creative would mention what the beta drivers are supposed to address and for what cards and OSes they're released for, instead of just posting them with no desccription about them. :mad:

S

segovich

I'm very surprised that Creative Labs is still in business with such a lousy customer service and support we need another company to produce something and put some pressure on them, just like between Nvidia and ATI

hails
LEO
PS. The Beta one was working perfect for me!

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
another company to produce something and put some pressure on them, just like between Nvidia and ATI.

Creative already has pressure, from the el-cheapo AC'97 / HDA compliant audio-codec manufacturers, like those of Realtek, Analog Devices, C-Media, etc. People either choose a Creative card or stick to the audio their motherboards came with, that's the competition Creative faces with. Now since these audio-codec mfgs don't have a customer support of their own since the motherboard manufacturers like Intel, Asus, MSI, etc manage technical support of the audio-codec as well, you very well know the standards of tech-support from Intel or Asus.

In another way, there's no pressure on Creative because they're the only manufacturers of hardware-accelerated audio. We had Nvidia SoundStorm about five years ago, which was a little more capable than X-Fi, with the function of real-time Dolby-Digital encoding, something even the powerful X-Fi can't handle. But Nvidia was stupid-enough to stop it's production. The day they modify the SoundStorm to function on discrete PCI / PCIe add-on cards, it's good-bye Creative.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
In another way, there's no pressure on Creative because they're the only manufacturers of hardware-accelerated audio.

Vista would've leveled the playing field in this area - but Creative has found a work-around with the Alchemy drivers. But, anytime that there is a strong competitor to Creative that comes along, either the go out of business or just stop produncing any audio hardware. The SoundStorm is a good example - remember the Ensoniq PCI? First audio card to use a multichannel design and DirectSound3D . . . until Creative bought them out.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Nyaah. The ALchemy thing didn't really improve things very much. Sure you get multi-channel audio from the games that were originally coded for the DirectSound 3D and the EAX extensions, but all you get is the multi-channel positional audio and not the brilliant reverb and environment-specific effects that the CA 20K1 and EAX 5.0 HD were originally made for....what a waste!

ALchemy is basically a compatibility layer between the application's DirectSound commands and the operating-system's OpenAL api. Windows Vista lacks DirectSound. So all those pre-Vista games that had those amazing multi-channel audio effects that relied on DirectSound, now send their commands to the OS HAL, and ALchemy forms a pre-layer to the HAL and captures these commands, translates them into OpenAL commands and sends it to the ICD (Installable client driver). Stacks from here now go to the OS kernel and finally to the hardware. ALchemy can't translate EAX 5 commands and hence, it's goodbye EAX for us. So this completely defeats the purpose of having a 10000+ MIPS audio processor.:cry:

Last edited:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today is a Red-letter day. I bought and installed an Auzen X-Fi Prelude. Wow! what a sound !!! I was listening to a DTS encoded movie and the sound of an aircraft flying above actually made me look up with reflex. Only a second later I realised it came from the speakers.

Okay, so with the entry of this card my old one, an Xtreme Gamer is now my lab-mouse. I'm buying solid-state capacitors to replace all the electrolytic ones on the card. Also to follow, is the heatsink mod. Any suggestions on which brands and makes of capacitors I should be using, would be appreciated.

Oh yeah...my first mod for the Xtreme Gamer: Gold electro-plating of the expansion bracket.