• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X.M.P effect CPU Temps Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Because software readings are typically not accurate may be one reason. I don't use adapative so not entirely sure why. I just use a fixed voltage 24/7.

You go on and try. Let us know when you find stability.

D

Deleted member 67555

As far as per core, I have no idea why anyone would do that honestly.... seems like a waste of time to me. I run all cores at the same clock, which I expect many do.
For temps and voltages... Not all cores are equal on the die.
He may have 3 cores that run 5ghz @1.25v while the 4th core might only be stable at 4.6ghz @1.25v...It might take 1.44v to get that last core to 5ghz but at that point you begin to lose efficiency on the other 3 cores and possibly begin losing performance altogether...
Obviously it's ideal to have all cores running equally but that's not always the best choice.

I get it... Just not worth the time to me to test. Id rather run 100 Mhz higher on all cores with slightly higher voltage than to spend time with each core finding its max and setting it individually. It really doesn't gain anyone much at all.

Because software readings are typically not accurate may be one reason. I don't use adapative so not entirely sure why. I just use a fixed voltage 24/7.

What do you mean by Fixed voltage?
Manual Voltage?

For temps and voltages... Not all cores are equal on the die.

So what do i do how to check per core do you have method cause i never done per core always sync..

So please tell me.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm tired of this shit!!!

No solution found.....

Overclocking is sucks,
it's better next time we buy something with No Overclocking capabilities and undervolt the cpu, then we have good lifespan. The technology we using is still under development... No PROPER Technology is exist...

If they are PROPER Release,
every CPU and Motherboard should be same don't you think that?

We are still in middle of nowhere technology situation, that's why this kind of shit happens.

But You guys try to help me anyway and i appreciate that guys...
Thanks a lot....

Every chip and even the same board is of different quality, but for Kaby and CFL the median and min/max OCs are extremely close to one another which is evidence of a very tight process with good yields (the opposite of what you are thinking/saying). I have an 8700K that runs 4.8 Ghz + 3200 mhz ram with XMP on, @ 1.34v on the core. Going higher requires 0.02- 0.04v more and stability becomes a big problem. This is the chip telling you that you're passing a major efficiency threshold, and the performance gain versus risk/effort/power usage gets silly.

In my opinion, for 24/7, 1.35-1.36V is the limit. I see people pushing 1.4v and higher but honestly if your chip needs that, back down the OC unless you only care about the highest clocks and not actual usage/productivity.

Manually setting the timings is a good measure, and generally, you can lower VCCSA and VCCIO to 1.1 or even 1.05v with faster RAM. There is a lot of headroom in voltages overall on Intel chips.

About temps, 88C is perfectly fine under max stress tests. Real usage temps will be significantly lower anyway and its not temperature (within spec) that damages a CPU but volts. You can run at sub zero and high volts can still destroy or cause high wear on trace lines on the board for example. The CPU itself will also degrade faster. Temps really only matter for efficiency, higher temps will cause higher voltages required for each clock bump. In other words: temps can limit your OC in several ways, either by running out if spec (100 C) and by forcing you to add volts, which again will increase temps.

Use a fixed voltage or offsets to get reliable vCore, and take baby steps until you find a balance between volt, clock and temp that you can live with.

About per core multipliers: useless exercise, waste of time. In practice, cores will be loaded and your effective clocks will just be lower anyway. Might as well just sync all of them at a slightly lower clockspeed. And its true, not every core on the die will behave in thr same way, some cores will be hotter than others and one crappy core can force you to use higher voltages for all of them. Its just how the architecture is designed. You can work around that but the net gain is minimal at best.

And remember, overclocking is running things out of spec, so its never a guarantee to hit whatever clock some other dude gets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

Per core testing.
Leave cores in sync...lock in max voltage.
Overclock until failure.
Reduce speeds to stability.
Raise individual TURBO CORE speeds one at a time until failure is reached..
Back off core last increased...
For good measure also try swapping different speeds per core...
This is very time consuming which is why others are telling you to just lower your clocks.
The benefits are minimal however if you really wanna get the most out of your system it's a good way to go... But it's only ever going to give you higher benchmarks.. No real benefit... except personal pride.. Lol

Cocio21

System Name Main rig
Processor I7-8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 SLI Plus
Cooling EK Cpu+Fullcover Gpu
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce x3
Storage Toshiba XG4 256GB M2 OEM, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Lite-ON 256GB OEM SSD + some 2,5" HDDs
Display(s) Samsung S22A350H
Case Antec Performance One P183 V3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Modular
Mouse Dont ask xD
Keyboard Same crap as mouse (Trust wireless kit) dirt cheap, but its N-key rollover is 6 keys :P
Software Win 10
D

Deleted member 67555

My manual voltage settings...still working on system agent...going down .01v a day

Cocio21

System Name Main rig
Processor I7-8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 SLI Plus
Cooling EK Cpu+Fullcover Gpu
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce x3
Storage Toshiba XG4 256GB M2 OEM, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Lite-ON 256GB OEM SSD + some 2,5" HDDs
Display(s) Samsung S22A350H
Case Antec Performance One P183 V3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Modular
Mouse Dont ask xD
Keyboard Same crap as mouse (Trust wireless kit) dirt cheap, but its N-key rollover is 6 keys :P
Software Win 10
My manual voltage settings...still working on system agent...going down .01v a day

Not to be rude, but like i said in the other thread you should be able to do up to DDR3600 at stock SA/IO volts :)

1,3v SA and 1,28v IO is not needed for DDR3200 and really in the higher end of the volts scale, but if you want to start above stock IMC volts rather than going up from stock, then do something like 1,15v SA and 1,05v IO and take it from there. But i doubt you will need volts beyond stock for the ram.

On my MSI Z370 SLI Plus bios will even show red values starting at 1,25v SA and 1,15v IO volts (bit funny though as Auto sets 1,36v SA and 1,3v IO )

Btw, why the 1,4v on Dram volt ?

D

Deleted member 67555

Higher benchmarks

Not to be rude, but like i said in the other thread you should be able to do up to DDR3600 at stock SA/IO volts :)

1,3v SA and 1,28v IO is not needed for DDR3200 and really in the higher end of the volts scale, but if you want to start above stock IMC volts rather than going up from stock, then do something like 1,15v SA and 1,05v IO and take it from there. But i doubt you will need volts beyond stock for the ram.

On my MSI Z370 SLI Plus bios will even show red values starting at 1,25v SA and 1,15v IO volts (bit funny though as Auto sets 1,36v SA and 1,3v IO )

Btw, why the 1,4v on Dram volt ?
You're not wrong I have been playing with 3600 and all between 3200...difference has been negligible...still fine tuning..will be for probably another month
1.4v was with attempt at tighter 3600...sitting at 1.36v currently

Last edited by a moderator:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
if you want 5ghz then you should have bought a binned chip
its called the silicon lottery for a reason you lost it
get over it kid

What happens if i leave CoreCache voltage Auto? With core ratio 50

What happens then?

I tryes that works fine no need to worry about.
But no one leaves it auto when it come to Overclock. So plz explain?

please tell me Safe voltage for i7 7700k 5Ghz

I test my cpu like this..

I reset default bios and only change core ratio to 50 / 51 / 52

Core Ratio 50 / 51 able to come to windows and able to stress test without error.

But when i change it to 52 pc won't start its stuck in starting windows.

So i think i can go to 50 / 51 core.
But i need help.

Can any one tell me which bios settings do i have to change if you Overclock to 5Ghz or 5.1Ghz please tell me your bios settings
So i can try it. Plz

Can u please tell me your bios do you have i7 7700k?

I think this is your Overclock Right?
5ghz all cores.jpg

My BIOS settings do not matter. You can see the voltage I used in the CPUz screenshot as well as in the HWinfo to the left... bios is also pictured in the CPUz Mainboard tab.

Nope. You can see them plain as day on the screen you linked.

I only change the CPU multiplier and Vcore.

Why can't you tell your bios? It helps me to understand what i need to changes.

First, that was several months ago and I do not have the system to check anyway.

Second, my settings likely will not work for your CPU in the first place! As was said already, every CPU is different and what works for me, may not work for others.

Last, I just said I only change CPU multiplier and voltage (manually set, no adaptive or offset)...........which the screenshots show what I am running at.

According to this i think i can stable my CPU at this vcore but i need to know 1.425v is safe or dangerous?
_20180305_220523.JPG

If your CPU is one of the 65%, sure, it will work. If not, it will need more voltage.

But, seems like you want the easy way out and not to test and find the lowest stable voltage for a given clockspeed. I teach men to fish, I don't hand out fish.... good luck in your endeavors for cookie cutter settings. :)

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
That's with a -2 avx offset as well, keep in mind.

I tried 1.395 manual not working but i never try 1.4v so that's why i ask Oky i have 1.400 - 1.425 cover. If i found vcore manual stable between here im safe right i don't want to go 1.430 so now im trying.

But when I do manual CPU Z always show me that Core voltage at max. But if i do auto or adaptive CPU Z Show 0.6 1.0 lower voltage. When i do nothing.

Can u explain that pls?

Because, as was said here before, manual voltage (not offset or adaptive) will hold the voltage. Using adapative or offset will allow the CPU to throttle down on idle which is why you are seeing what you are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.