• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X.M.P effect CPU Temps Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, as was said here before, manual voltage (not offset or adaptive) will hold the voltage. Using adapative or offset will allow the CPU to throttle down on idle which is why you are seeing what you are seeing.

So its usual right it's Oky to do that always cpu eat that max voltage won't do damage. Please understand this is my first Overclock so please be kind bro i don't know like you do about this stuff :(

Hey you said you only change core ratio and voltages so what voltage is it and LLC?

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Personally if I were you I'd give up on 5GHz since you clearly don't have a golden chip, and work on setting a more efficient overclock that'll run cooler and prolong the life of your chip. You're giving the CPU hell just trying to get those last couple of hundred mhz for basically OCD reasons, when the performance is going to be almost indistinguishable.

It's obviously better to use adaptive if your overclock requires high voltage, there's no point putting 1.425v through the cpu at idle. But using a fixed voltage while you figure out what your cpu is capable of is a good idea, you don't want any other settings or power saving features adding potential instability.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So its usual right it's Oky to do that always cpu eat that max voltage won't do damage. Please understand this is my first Overclock so please be kind bro i don't know like you do about this stuff :(

Hey you said you only change core ratio and voltages so what voltage is it and LLC?
There is a difference between knowing and learning how to overclock, versus being able to read a screenshot. The multiplier is quite obviously at 50, and voltage is somewhere around 1.41V.

I don't use LLC as I do not have vdroop.
So what do you suggest me to do gi back to 4.9Ghz?
Something less than 5 Ghz, obviously. Where that may be, is up to you. 4.9, 4.8 Ghz. Whatever. The goal in overclocking is to find/pick a clock speed and have it stable with using the least amount of voltage needed to do so.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Maybe see how far you can get on 1.35V.. there isn't really a right answer, it's down to your personal preference. Are you comfortable runing your CPU at high temps and voltage, knowing that you're likely going to degrade the CPU over time? Some people don't care about that, so in that case you could just dial the voltage up whatever it takes for 5ghz and forget about it. Other people value low temps and quietness, low power draw etc, so they might run stock while undervolted. See how much of a personal decision this is? We can't just tell you what to do because we all value different things.

1. If you intended to OC, 2 x 16GB is the choice for 32 GB. More modules = more load. = more voltage req'd

2. Recognize that the "extreme performance" part of "H115i Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler" is just marketing. Performance is on par with the $90 air coolers fpom Noctua (NH-D15), Cryorig (R1) and Scyth's $37 (Mugen Max) - $45 (Fuma) air coolers.

3. With XMP @ 3200, 1.35 will be the likely "starting point" for voltage stability ... While lower is always better, Intel officially allows up to 1.50v, ..... I'd think for most pairs, it's easily accomplishable at < 1.4 ish.

4. There should never be the slightest expecation that all CPus and MoBos will be able to reach the same OCs. Do a web search on "silicon lottery"

5. You will see a significant voltage boost when AVX is present.... 0.13v on my system

6. He's the database results from OCNs Overclocking Guide ... in short, only half of **experienced** overclockers are breaking 5 GHz

Average OC 5.03
Median OC 5.00
Average Vcore 1.36
Median Vcore 1.36

7. VCore Cache Multiplier of 47 is what Asus recommends for 50 CPU multiplier (Core Multiplier minus 3) if you don't want to impact certain types of graphics manipulation programs and other workstation apps. If you are not using, you can leave this at default.

8. When using Real Bench .... don't repeat using the 8 minute benchmark over and over again. Run the stress test option w/ 32 GB of RAM for 4 hours. memtest 86+ will tell ya how the RAM is doing ... I run it as follows ... 1 Hour for each 2 GB of RAM

9. Limit the use of utilities running at one time ... Real Bench + HWiNFO (sensors only).

10. Unless your goal is to get verified results on web site OC leader boards, I recommend against fixed voltages. Like having ya car run at 6500 rpm constantly ... all ya get out of it is excess wear and tear.

11. See what other folks w/ successful Ocs are using here:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1621347-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Maybe see how far you can get on 1.35ghz.

Oky i thought 4.9 is fine now i try to 4.9 i like my chip i don't want to push it and damage it. I want it to 24/7 work and good lifespan so i think i have to forget about 5Ghz.

Hey if i stable 5Ghz with Core cache ratio auto so it only work 4.2 is that oky?
I always try core cache 4.7 so many that's why 5Ghz need more volts??? Any idea?

1. If you intended to OC, 2 x 16GB is the choice for 32 GB. More modules = more load. = more voltage req'd

Thanks but i have this Google sheet.
In Realbench I try Heavy multitasking 10 times. Is that wrong?

Asus Rog Kaby lake Recommend to use Adaptive mode.

So Can u tell me Adaptive Mode or Manual or is better for this?

If i use 4.9Ghz what do i have to put for this two?
Min. Cache ratio
and Max. Cache ratio

Woow i have been awarded :)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
1.4v is passing beyond Intel's recommended maximums, if you want this chip to last, I strongly recommend you back down. If it needs this, its way out of the comfort zone in every way.

Congrats on hitting the clock though, but for 24/7, 4.9 may be a good clock to settle for along with lower volts. You e been warned...

Either way kudos for sticking with it and taking up on the advice given so far!

1.52V is the max according to Intel whitepapers.

Silicon Lottery's all run at 1.4V+.

That said, I wouldn't be alarmed until 1.45V+. The CPU will last there through its warranted life and beyond in most cases.

Congrats! Enjoy!

1.410v and Max Temp 89c is fine?
Most of the time temps are in 76c - 86c
Just for moment ita jump to 89 then 76 or 80c for moment..

So tell me ia that alright?

1.4v is passing beyond Intel's recommended maximums, if you want this chip to last, I strongly recommend you back down. If it needs this, its way out of the comfort zone in every way.

Congrats on hitting the clock though, but for 24/7, 4.9 may be a good clock to settle for along with lower volts. You e been warned...

Either way kudos for sticking with it and taking up on the advice given so far!

Oky thanks for warning...

Yes, temps are fine, we told you earlier in the thread to keep it under 90C when stress testing.

Folks have been overstaing what Intel says for many geneations now... not only for CPUs but for RAM also. Since Sandy bridge folks have been overstating Intel's recommended maximums. And since SB, for RAM those are for non XMP situations. The fact is back w/ Sandy Bridge, there were 100s of RAM kits on Intel's certified compatible lists that were > 1.5v (1.70 even) when everyone was pushing FUD about 1.5v. it was 1.5 v because the JEDEC spec stipulated 1.5v ... but XMP is by definition, not part of the JEDEC spec... same as saying don't go past Intel's boost clocks cause 50 multiplier is above their stated maximums. So when we talk about Intel's stated maximums, we should limit that to what Intel has actually stated publicly.

http://www.legitreviews.com/what-is-the-safe-voltage-range-for-ddr4-memory-overclocking_150115

Legit Reviews contacted Intel about the safe voltage range on DDR4 memory and we received this response.

“1.5v is the absolute max we allow for XMP certifications. However, good DDR4 memory will run at 1.35v up to 3200. Technically, no “safe” (guaranteed) OC over-voltage but 1.35v or lower is best.” – Intel
  • 1.2V or lower = Best for DDR4
  • 1.35V = okay voltage for overclocking kits
  • 1.5V =absolute max voltage allowed for Intel XMP 2.0 profiles and max suggested voltage

As was said in previous post, to my knowledge Intel's max CPU voltage is 1.52. But ya have to identify what voltage you are talking about. This is on a 4 year old 4770k under 24/7 usage

BIOS Vcore = 1.3825
Average Stress test Vcore = 1.391 - 1.423
Peak Instantaneous Vcore = 1.506

In Realbench I try Heavy multitasking 10 times. Is that wrong?

Asus Rog Kaby lake Recommend to use Adaptive mode.

So Can u tell me Adaptive Mode or Manual or is better for this?

If i use 4.9Ghz what do i have to put for this two?
Min. Cache ratio
and Max. Cache ratio

10 Times ?... what's the point ? The RB Stress utility has two functions:

1. Benchmark Button - When you overclock, what are you after ? Best OC for bragging rights ?... best performance ? Sometimes, a higher OC (on CPUs and GPUs) can drop performance. So if ya use the 8 minute benchmark, you get scores which can be used for comparison. For example, I used the graphics benchmark to set my cache ratio.

a. Cache Multiplier = CPU multiplier = reference score
b. Cache Multiplier = CPU multiplier - 1 = reference score
c. Cache Multiplier = CPU multiplier - 2 = reference score
d. Cache Multiplier = CPU multiplier - 3 = reference score
e. Cache Multiplier = CPU multiplier - 4 = less than reference score

So if you use graphics programs, then it's a good idea to drop the cache multiplier to 3 less than CPU multiplier as it has no impact on performance. If you are gaming, there is no impact and you can leave it at default.

2. Stress Testing Button - This **is** what you wanted to do right ? You wanted to stress test the OC so the stress test would be what you want to do. This allows you to see if your OC is stable with ***all*** of your 32 GB of memory. And you don't have to sit at your PC and run the same thing 10 times.... a) this only gives you 80 minutes, b) you should at least get 4 hours in and c) you should want to use all the RAM.

3. Outside of bragging rights, i see no reason why you want to run tour CPU at full throttle when it's sitting there doing nothing. Adaptive Mode recommended to only supply the voltage in accordance with what is needed for the task / load at hand.

4. Cache ratio = default for gaming / typical consumer uses. If using workstation apps, graphics editiing , I'd recommend CPU Ratio -3 (Asus also recommends same) ... so ...

If CPU Ratio / Multiplier = 50 (5.0 Ghz)
Then Cache ration / Multiplier = 50 - 3 or 47 (4.7 Ghz)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Solution found, happy OP, even happier me as I can close the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.