• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 GTO² to X850 XT BIOS Mod

Ponz

Dynamic said:
y0 you have to hold down the shift button first before going into those settings. Beside i don't think you can mod that card anyway, since the card comes with only 12pp but the frequencies have been raised for the core and the mem to match a 16pp 400/490 GTO in benchmarks. What are the speeds anyhow on your core/mem?

actually have this setting:

D

Dynamic

Ponz,

What score do you get in the FutureMark benchmarks at stock and at those overclocked settings? Good luck on the modding, but i don't think it's going to happen.

D

Dynamic

kapeeteeleest_peeg said:
Does anybody get corruption of the 'little car' in cat control centre?
especially if your on Asrock dual sata2 with C3D Gto...

Apart from that my car seems to be excellent...
its doin my head in!

I have an ASRock board and a C3D GTO, but aren't using the CCC, just the cp version. I did install the 5.11 CCC before and didn't notice any corruption. What are your specs on your system and video card pp/core/mem?

Benjie

ok, went ahead on a suicide run and flashed the card anyway. im still here so thats a good sign, however the card is still on 12 pipelines, would this suggest to everyone that my last 4 pixel lines are cut or they are just shafted? Or if they have been laser cut would it be because they are shafted? :)

Cheers

Benjie

ps what sort of speeds are people getting from the c3d gtos? Using ati tool mine can find up to 570 on the mem and 580 on the core. not gonna be stable at those speeds but im needing ideas as to roughly what i should be aiming for!

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Every card is different. There is nothing to aim for. Keep your temps below 65C and you're fine. I would suggest some aftermarket cooling though. Get the VF700-CU from Zalman.

PS: Those a very nice OCs, especially on the core. I have a Sapphire X800GTO2 ($230) and I can't get more than 525 on the core. I get 618 on the memory, but hey, it's a totally different card. You have an extrordinary R423 core my friend.

Benjie

if i can run it at about 540/540 day in day out in the xqpack maybe with a zalman attatched i will be happy, would be even nicer if its rock solid at 580 on the core though lol.

Shame i cant get those last 4 pipelines, but im sure with the core that high the difference between 12 and 16 will be negligable!

Dr.D

I am using FRAPS to see my frams everyonce and a while my frams drop down to the 20s AND they turn Red

Why's that?

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
I ordered the full retail version of the X800 GTO2 a little earlier. When I get it I'll let everyone know how it is; whether it unlocks or not and how well it overclocks.

blsnelling

Processor Athlon64 X2 3800+ (260x10 @ 1.45V)
Motherboard Asus A8N SLI Premium
Cooling Thermalright XP-120 w/Sunon 120x38
Memory 2 X 1GB OCZ Dual Channel Platinum PC3200
Video Card(s) Connect3D X800 w/ATI Silencer 5(rev2) 567/567
Storage 36GB WD Raptor - Boot Drive | 4x MaxLine 10 300GB 16MB Cache - RAID 10 - Storage & Backup
Display(s) Dell 20" LCD
Case Antec Full Tower Case w/4 Fans on Rheostats
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy2
Power Supply Eneremax NoiseTaker 470W "AX" v2.0
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
ShadowFlare said:
I ordered the full retail version of the X800 GTO2 a little earlier. When I get it I'll let everyone know how it is; whether it unlocks or not and how well it overclocks.
Where'd you order it from?

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
blsnelling said:
Where'd you order it from?
I ordered it from Newegg.

I also bid on one on eBay and currently have the winning bid with 35 minutes to go. I'm sure someone will outbid me during that time period since it's already at my max bid. ;)

-EDIT-

Haha, unexpectedly I actually got the winning bid even though my max was only 1 cent higher than the second highest bid. :roll: That persion gave up just a little too soon. ;) I guess I'll have two GTO2's coming in. :D I'll likely sell the two that aren't as good out the three (three since I already have one).

Last edited:

kapeeteeleest_peeg

Dynamic said:
I have an ASRock board and a C3D GTO, but aren't using the CCC, just the cp version. I did install the 5.11 CCC before and didn't notice any corruption. What are your specs on your system and video card pp/core/mem?

My Specs are...
Athlon64 3200+@2.0gig not o/c
Asrock dual sata2 bios 1.4 (corruption also seen on 1.2 original)
512 twinmos pc3200@2T 2.5,3,3,8 (yeah I know! on a budget tho)
C3D gto 16pp@ 400/490 (core speed/mem speed or pixel pipe changes have no effect on the corruption I'm seeing :eek:(
WD Raptor 74gig

It plays all the latest games absolutely superbly, shows some corruption in older titles like AmericasArmy-bridge map & motogp1. Plays AA-Bridge SE perfectly though!

Im right on the edge here... to RMA or NOT to RMA this is the question? lol
Here is a pic of what Im seeing in CCC!

If no-one has seen this then I think I will rma!, cos I wont be able to sell this 2 anyone later :(

Attachments

• cccbad.JPG
    cccbad.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 538
  • corrupt in ccc.JPG
    corrupt in ccc.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 537

at2wooden

The articles are great, but they are a bit over my head yet.

I checked ATITOOL settings (on shift) and I have F's where they need to be to have a modable X800 GTO2 card. The card overclocks well.
Even put on the Artic Cooler Silencer 5 V2.

Sure could use a little step-by-step to get me started unlocking those extra 4 pipes.

The other day I downloaded the flash mod and clicked on it and within a day I got the blue screen of death.
Had to completely reload OS and all my programs.

Am I supposed to DL the flash to a floppy and load during post like the raid set up? ARRRGH!!

ShadowFlare

Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
kapeeteeleest_peeg said:
My Specs are...
C3D gto 16pp@ 400/490 (core speed/mem speed or pixel pipe changes have no effect on the corruption I'm seeing :eek:(
WD Raptor 74gig

It plays all the latest games absolutely superbly, shows some corruption in older titles like AmericasArmy-bridge map & motogp1. Plays AA-Bridge SE perfectly though!

If no-one has seen this then I think I will rma!, cos I wont be able to sell this 2 anyone later :(
Flash back to 12 pipelines and see if you get the same corruption in the 3d graphics in those same programs. If so, then you should definately RMA that card, in my opinion.

ATVkid

Using a Sapphire GTO²:
I just used the modded flashrom, according to the article, and flashed it. However, when I boot it back up, I get a blank screen, monitor light's yellow (standby). I used the following command in the modded flashrom utility:

flashrom.exe -p 0 newbios.bin r -f

newbios.rom being the modded GTO² bios, and 0 being the card's location. Can anyone help me to fix this?

kapeeteeleest_peeg

at2wooden said:
The articles are great, but they are a bit over my head yet.

I checked ATITOOL settings (on shift) and I have F's where they need to be to have a modable X800 GTO2 card. The card overclocks well.
Even put on the Artic Cooler Silencer 5 V2.

Sure could use a little step-by-step to get me started unlocking those extra 4 pipes.

The other day I downloaded the flash mod and clicked on it and within a day I got the blue screen of death.
Had to completely reload OS and all my programs.

Am I supposed to DL the flash to a floppy and load during post like the raid set up? ARRRGH!!

Hmmm, how did you get this far into this forum topic without reading the initial article?, did you just look at the pretty pictures?!!! The article is step-by-step!

ATVkid

kapeeteeleest_peeg, any way you could give me some help with the issue I'm having?

at2wooden

gee that was less than helpful.
Did I mention that the first time I tried this it ended up with me reloading windows?
This is my first build. Cut me some slack.

Come on guys, hold the flames and lend a hand to a rookie.

Last edited:

kapeeteeleest_peeg

ATVkid said:
kapeeteeleest_peeg, any way you could give me some help with the issue I'm having?

the command in my experience is as follows...

flashrom -f -p 0 gto16p.bin

(the 0 is a zero)
...the gto216p.bin is the name of the bios file your tring to flash onto your card. If your bios name is different, type its name instead

To get out of your current hole... you need to get your hands on a pci graphics card... Check the local refuse tips, charity shops etc. lol, cos these are really old now. Most cards have been AGP format since 1997!!!
Once fitted, u boot into bios, make sure that 'init display first' is set to 'pci' instead of 'pci-express', save the settings by hitting 'f10' and reboot...
Boot into windows, make up your flash floppy with the bios file that you want... then restart
Boot onto floppy now & type in the flashrom command...

That should work, but good luck finding a pci grphx card... ;)

D

Dynamic

kapeeteeleest_peeg said:
My Specs are...
WD Raptor 74gig

I'm not sure how you are getting those corruptions in your CCC. Sorry to ask but which version of Catalyst are you running, the newest one right? 5.11?

D

Dynamic

kapeeteeleest_peeg,
Are you using the Fix Percentage at 100% on the Ati Tool for your fans speed on your GTO? What is the temp. in your room and your computer temp. specs? It probably doesn't have anything to do with the temp does it? I'd say RMA it, there might be something wrong with the GTO, it shouldn't do that at all unless something is faulty with your overclocks CPU/RAM and motherboard? Which card did you have before you got your GTO? Did the old card "AGP or was it PCI-E" do the same thing or you really didn't notice at all?

Note: I forgot to ask you, you're probably lucky that the GTO hasn't locked your system up on that ASRock board dude. I had to use Rabit 1.7 to change ID and Frequencies and run the GTO at 350/350 2D mode and 550/565 3D mode. If i didn't do that i would get a freeze somewhere along with the frequencies high.

kapeeteeleest_peeg

Dynamic said:
kapeeteeleest_peeg,
Are you using the Fix Percentage at 100% on the Ati Tool for your fans speed on your GTO? What is the temp. in your room and your computer temp. specs? It probably doesn't have anything to do with the temp does it? I'd say RMA it, there might be something wrong with the GTO, it shouldn't do that at all unless something is faulty with your overclocks CPU/RAM and motherboard? Which card did you have before you got your GTO? Did the old card "AGP or was it PCI-E" do the same thing or you really didn't notice at all?

Note: I forgot to ask you, you're probably lucky that the GTO hasn't locked your system up on that ASRock board dude. I had to use Rabit 1.7 to change ID and Frequencies and run the GTO at 350/350 2D mode and 550/565 3D mode. If i didn't do that i would get a freeze somewhere along with the frequencies high.

Oh, now I'm gettin corruption in FEAR... right thats it!, get in the box, your goin' back!!!
Yeah, Ive had enough of Ati for the momment... its gettin' rma'ed!.
Im either gonna get an nVidia 6800gs, 7800gs or a 7800gt... nVidia got a card for every budget now... Ati looks very silly this xmas!!!, the cards worth getting are over priced & unavailable!!!

Ethos

You do not need a PCI graphics card to fix it, as long as you have a backup of your old bios on the same disk you used to do the previous flash.

Just do a blind flash
1. Let the computer boot up off the floppy even though you can't see it (wait until there is no more reading)
2. Blindly type "flashrom -f -p 0 oldbios.bin" where oldbios.bin was your old bios
3. Now you should have some reads going for the next couple minutes, but I wouldn't reboot for 5 minutes to be safe (if you didn't have some good reads to the floppy for about 30s - 1min after typing the command, you typed it wrong)

kapeeteeleest_peeg

Ethos said:
You do not need a PCI graphics card to fix it, as long as you have a backup of your old bios on the same disk you used to do the previous flash.

Just do a blind flash
1. Let the computer boot up off the floppy even though you can't see it (wait until there is no more reading)
2. Blindly type "flashrom -f -p 0 oldbios.bin" where oldbios.bin was your old bios
3. Now you should have some reads going for the next couple minutes, but I wouldn't reboot for 5 minutes to be safe (if you didn't have some good reads to the floppy for about 30s - 1min after typing the command, you typed it wrong)

Hmmm, that sounds like a lot of fun! A leap of faith! lol

Ethos

kapeeteeleest_peeg said:
Hmmm, that sounds like a lot of fun! A leap of faith! lol

Yup, especially if you are like me and only have PCI-E slots on your motherboard (1 - x16, 1 - x1)