• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO mod 12P to 16P

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
did you check if the card is capable of xt or xt pe speeds?

Weigy104

Processor AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 939
Motherboard MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
Cooling Arctic Silencer 4 and Gigabyte G-Power Pro
Memory 1GB DDR400 value crap :(
Video Card(s) X800 Pro Modded to XT via bios flash
Storage Seagate Baracuda 160GB & Samsung Spinpoint T 500GB :)
Display(s) ACER AL1751
Case Thermaltake Tsunami Dream :D
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 4
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Ubuntu, Windows 2k3
hi i've also had some problems with overlcokcing my Connect3D x800pro vivo. the memory overclocks fine currently at 573 stable. but my core barely overclocks atol. i think it has something to do with the contact between the cooler and chip. i've also had a read about and noticed that alot of people with connedct 3d cards have the same problem. lol they just don't know how to install coolers :eek:

however i decided to get a new cooler the arctic cooler silencer 4 just wondering if there is much of a difference between the rev1 and 2 i heard something about a clicking noise but not really sure :confused:

-Ricky

String

Connect 3d X800 Pro VIVO OC

Weigy104 said:
hi i've also had some problems with overlcokcing my Connect3D x800pro vivo. the memory overclocks fine currently at 573 stable. but my core barely overclocks atol. i think it has something to do with the contact between the cooler and chip. i've also had a read about and noticed that alot of people with connedct 3d cards have the same problem. lol they just don't know how to install coolers :eek:

however i decided to get a new cooler the arctic cooler silencer 4 just wondering if there is much of a difference between the rev1 and 2 i heard something about a clicking noise but not really sure :confused:

-Ricky

Weigy104 did you manage to overclock your successfully? I have just got one of these cards and I have tried to overclock mine with not much luck. I did manage to flash the bios with the connect3d x800 xt pe bios. This worked fine but the pipelines were still set to 12. Plus as soon as the card started to do anything the screen crashed.

Do i need to buy an Artic Cooler as i only have the standard fan on the card at present? and should i use another bios instead of the connect 3d one on the techpowerup site?

Any advice would be great!

String

Weigy104

Display(s) ACER AL1751
yeh if your gonna flash to xt pe then some after market cooling is definately needed ;) yeh i can unlock y extra pipes using the ati x800pro 16p bios that worked perfectly. i havn't tried any other bios yet basically cos i can't overclock my core. when i get my cooler i'll let you know how i get on ;)

String

Connect 3d X800 Pro VIVO OC

Nice one! I will try the ATI X800pro 16pipe bios on mine tonight then!

I only bought this card to play BF2 and it does this with the standard bios and 12 pipes. All on high effects and anti-aliasing set to x6 @ 1024. Which does me for now! :) Always a little extra is nice me thinks! :D

Cheers,

String

Weigy104

Display(s) ACER AL1751
String said:
Nice one! I will try the ATI X800pro 16pipe bios on mine tonight then!

I only bought this card to play BF2 and it does this with the standard bios and 12 pipes. All on high effects and anti-aliasing set to x6 @ 1024. Which does me for now! :) Always a little extra is nice me thinks! :D

Cheers,

String

definately always better to have a bit of headroom and very satisfying knowing your card can do more :D i bought mine to play half life 2 i run it at 1280x1024 with absoloutely every setting turned up to the max the game looks so AMAZING!!!! :eek:

fsheehan

Hi All,

Great forum you have here! :)

I've flashed my Sapphire X800 PRO VIVO and now it's running with all 16 pipes enabled! Tested how high the mem/core will go up before I get artifacting with ATI Tool and found that it was fine on 520/560 so I flashed it with the ATI X800 XT PE 520/560 bios and then flashed it to the Sapphire one with the same core/mem but was a bit more up to date.

Ran ATI Tool for a while and tested for any artifacting, none so far! I'll run it through 3D Mark Benchies to see how I get on!

Didn't benchmark it on the Original PRO BIOS but what should I expect the benchies to turn out as now it's running as an XT PE?

fsheehan

Now I've flashed it ok, I decided to pop it into my Shuttle. Still running at 520/560 I installed and ran ATI Tool again and this time when I check for artifacts, I get some artifacting! Underclocking it to stock 450/475 and the artifacts disappear.

Seems weird that after testing it on my PC in a full tower case for a few hours without artifacting that it would show some when I moved it into my Shuttle.

I then tried running some benchies 3dMark2001SE and 3DMark03. At first 3DMark03 exited after each game test then I updated to the latest version which sorted that problem out. I got about 10,000 odd on an Athlon 2500XP. Is this normal for the processor speed? I then realised that I had a load of programs in the background like MCAfee on access scanner and MS Antispyware. I'm assuming that these affected benchmarks? I didn't try again with them disabled as it was getiing quite late.

3DMark2001 SE posted an abysmal score of 12,000 odd, is this normal?

The weird thing is I didn't spot any artifacting at all when running the benchies. Especially true when running the Pixielshader 2.0 test(Elephant and Rhino I think?) which in past experience would show artifacts on their bodies when something was wrong or clocked too high. I played a couple of games and these did not show any artifacting either. :shrug: Pro Evolution on 1024x1280 on High was fantastic and with no slow down as experienced with my 9800 pro.

Could the artifacting in ATI Tool be down to heat? I was getting about 65deg on load which I thought would probably be normal for stock cooling? Could it be down to lack of power? Although everything seems to run ok. I'm only on the 200w standard Shuttle Power Supply. Running with a DVD Rewriter and a couple of hard disks. I might do a full reinstall as my current Windows build has probably been there for over a year and it's all clogged up with crap. :lol:

Should I be worried with the artifacting on ATI Tool when I don't see any at all in games?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

PS: Another thing was that Photoshop CS has ceased to load since putting the X800 in. It starts to open but ceases just as it gets to the work screen.

butsugai

I have a Sapphire x800 Pro VIVO PCI-E and after flashing it with 3 different BIOS versions can only get 12 pipelines.

However the drivers recognize it as a X800GT?!

Atitool only shows 12 pipelines though. Any clues??

GreaT

Sapphire X800pro Vivo Pcie to 800XT Mod misery

Hi,

I have bought my card form newegg the card is Sapphire X800pro 256M Pcie VIVO 2ns. I see many tutorials about the flawless AGP x800Pro to Xt conversion. I have heard the vivo cards not lasercutted. This is not true.. The old mod which is based on the R420 core not working anymore. I have removed the fan and the heatsink from the vga. Woooa the R423 core was laser cutted. I used some silver conductive paint to bridge out the laser cut. I have measured the resistance and that was good. After i reassembled my card and started the atitool... Still the same 12 Pipes. And now... Flash some bios...

I have tried many bioses Like. ASUS x800xt pcie, powwercolor X800xt pcie, BBA X800Xt pcie. After flashing the ATi driver always recognise my card as: X800Gt or the older drivers X800Se. This is bad the Gt contains 8 pipleines only... So... The magic is in the BIOS...... The old R420 core id is: 4A49, The R423 core id is form Atitool: 5549, but in the flasher (flashbios) i get 554B?

So the conclusion is: The New Sapphire X800Pro VIVO is not moddable with this easy way (bios flash and shorting the laser cut. The sulution lies in the BIOS... I think....

Any ideas...????

GreaT

Ok, I'll reinstall the Ati tool for confirming the pipes. But the "pipe activation" is complete without flashing the 16P activated bios? I said later: When i flashed the xt flash, my x800pro become x800GT or
X800SE.

Thank You,,

caater

pipes gone bad?

i have old asus x800pro vivo with arctic freezer on it, no vmods.
have been running 16p happily since bios mod was "discovered".
now recently it just locked up..
when loading winxp, it locks up every time at the same spot (just before windows loads GUI). i've tried many xt bioses since but all end up in the same way.
safe mode is ok and no artifacts there whatsoever.
tried with fresh xp - when drivers were installed, next boot - lock with bsod at the same spot.
however - with x800pro bios - everything's ok. overclocks like before and acts just like it should.
i found now weird way to revive my card as a xp for just one boot..
flash gigabyte bios, boot up to safe mode (booting up to normal mode results in lock), reboot, then i selected "boot logging", maybe it has no difference but i selected it anyway, then win loads up, pstrip/atitool will show now 16p working.
but when running 3d, it locks up with bsod (mostly only blue screen with no message) and next boot will end up just like before.. locks up.
also, if i get it working - next reboot it still locks up..
but after bios flash + safe mode cycle it's good for just one boot.. :)
flashing a 16p bios with lowest available clockspeeds didn't help.
i have yet to measure voltages from card, mby something's burn out and can't stand the strain 16 pipes produces.. or mby there's something else..

any comments, any similar experiences?

petabyte3

returning to 12 Pipes.

Hi. I have a problem.
I have a Shappire X800 Pro VIVO, runnig with 16 pipes.
It's second hand, and i didn't make the change.
I have some problems with games, hangs, etc, blue screen with "ati2dvag" problem.
I suspect that the change is the problem, and i want to return to 12 pipes. (not soldering, only flashed vga)
Where can i download old BIOS? and flasher soft?

caater

petabyte3 said:
Hi. I have a problem.
I have a Shappire X800 Pro VIVO, runnig with 16 pipes.
It's second hand, and i didn't make the change.
I have some problems with games, hangs, etc, blue screen with "ati2dvag" problem.
I suspect that the change is the problem, and i want to return to 12 pipes. (not soldering, only flashed vga)
Where can i download old BIOS? and flasher soft?
Is it recognized currently as xt or as pro?

Winni

16 p with Club 3D Pci-e X800 pro ViVo????

can i mod Pci-e X800 Pro ViVo to 16p???

sereal

hey all o/

i have a sapphire x800 pro vivo.. and tried the flash yesterday with atiflash tool and the bios which just activates 16 pipes but leaves the core and mem values as they are standart for the x800 pro..
not that i had tried the values of the xt.

the flash went fine.. but apparently i didnt unlock the pipes.. still stuck with 12...

now i read in a post on the first few pages that this bios that just enables the 16 pipes.. doesnt work with sapphiere cards.

now iam curiouse.. i found many x800 xt pe bios for agp.. but only one for pci-e. I think it matters if you apply an agp bios.. or an pci-e bios.. dont it?

and in another guide i read that its important to have samsung 1.6ns memory chips.. my card has only 2.0ns memory chips... could this be a problem?

thx in advance

sereal

sereal

after trying to flash my vga bios with several pci-e x800 xt / pe bioses i found on the net i figured that my sapphire x800 pro vivo cant be softmodded... the clock speeds are applied.. but its usually detected as beeing a x800 pro or an x800 se.. also it rans stable at x800 xt pe speeds... so far but with only 12 pipes enabled.

i removed the card from my sys and detached the fan of the card and guess what i saw? a lil burned point at the position where you are supposed to do the hardmod... so i guess my card was laser cut...
i try to get things needed to perform the hard mod today.. and will tell you how it ended.

sere

sereal

hey all..
though i doubt any1 is reading this at all... ;)
ill finish what i've started..
in the guru3d forum in found a quite interesting post how you can determine whether your card is modable or not.. and it turned out that my card isnt modalbe.. because the pipes where deactived in Die.. not just within bios or via laser cut.
Because hope dies last.. i removed the card once again detached heatsink/fan and removed the conductive paint.. and scretched some more on the points till i really saw lil dots of shiny copper to make sure the conductive paint connects the parts.. i read another forumpost where ppl stated thers a small protective layer ofer the points you are suppesed to connect.

i made some more research and found a flashrom.. that disables the "Preserve R4x.. bios settings". it's called flashrom16.zip.. very likely i already stumbeled over it earlier.. but because the latest flashrom i found on techpowerups bios site is 3.x and the mod was discovered last year.. i thought i rather stick to the latest one.. because it surely inhabits this ability to overwrite the bios regardless... well.. i was wrong.

so i flashed my bios to the atipro16 pipes pci-e and got a black screen.. -.-
luckily i downloaded several other bioses and named them easy enough (AsXtPe16.bin...etc) so blindflashed it to an asus xt pe bios.. and that restored my maschine the ability to "see" ;)

i really give it up now.

my card is with the xt pe drivers recognized as beeing an x800 gt card.. and runs very stable at xt pe speeds... only some things i've noticed so far is that. when i set the fan speed to 100% via ati tool the fan noticeable gets quiter.. or totally shuts down.. if i set it to 80% it starts running again..
maybe the fans of gt are supposed to be a way more capable?

also i got another tab in the display settings called "Overdrive". it shows cpu temp and gpu speed. you can activate overdrive .. or disable it.. not sure what it does.

my card runs at 540 - 560 stable so far .. and i archived 6xx points more in 3dmark05 .. thats imho an ok deal.. alot ppl state they get around 1000 points more when successfully updating to an x800 xt pe so i think thats an ok consolation for the not "modability" of my card.

for future readers with x800pro cards.. heres the way how you can determine if you card is moddable or not right before you start any mods at all..
download rivatuner and start it with the parameters RivaTuner.exe /rr990 /rr994 /rr99c /rr402c

if the r990 value returns xxxxFxxx (an f on position 5.) your card wasn't disabled in Die.. and could be modded via hard/softmod to XT/XT PE(credit goes to guru3d !). I heard pci-e cards have a little chance of beeing modable.

seree

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Motherboard DFI LP NF4 Sli-D
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Memory OCZ 2x1gb Platinum
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD3850 512
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Display(s) Samsung 22" LCD
Case Tsami Dream
Audio Device(s) Onboard w/Logitech 5.1's
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream700 Watt
Software XP Pro SP2
When I purchased my video card, the PE version was all but extinct.
There was about a 6mo backlog in orders.
I settled for a X800 XT VIVO card, and paid $492.50 Del, that was a good price at that time.
The ASUS X800 XT PE AGP cards were selling at or over $700 range.
I have been using this card since Nov 04 due to the fact that I never sold it.
If I had a dozen PE cards I could have sold them in a week. Seems like when something cannot be had, the demand just goes through the roof.
The card has been perfect in performance and stability. I was reading the bios flash to open all 16 pipes on any X800 VIVO card and just wondered if this would work on making my card a PE version.
I downloaded the ATIFlash and ATITool, then searched for a bios that matched my bios exactly in size.
The X800 XT PE Sapphire matched exactly and the date was pretty late in the time frame.
I selected that bios, I flashed to save a copy of my old bios, that went great.
Then I began to flash to the Sapphire bios, I did get an error about the card ID did not match.
Since that was the only difference I could see, I set the /f switch and flashed the bios. According to the info on the screen, everything went great.
Now I have a X800 XT PE card, it is recognized as such in device mgr and desktop properties.
I have had to increase the AGP Voltage a bit and in ATI Tool , I selected the cooling fan to run at 100%. ATI Tool shows the GPU core is steady at 41c. This sounds great to me.
If nothing bad happens, I have a PE card and it is working great.
Thanks Guys for the info on how to do this.

Last edited:

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Case Tsami Dream
Software XP Pro SP2
On 9/12/05 I ran 3dMark2001se on my system and the score was 25,063.
It is recorded so no just say so.

Today 9/14/05 I received the Patriot XBLK 2x512 sticks and installed this memory. I ran the same benchmark again and lo and behold 26,405

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8718993

Now this is what I been talking about with super good memory.

Tandy1K

Just one question...

I've been ejoying reading about everyone's successful mods, living vicariously for now and just enjoying the boost from my old FX5200 to the X800Pro for now. One question I haven't seen addressed though (which may likely signify that the answer's obvious to all but the most dim); will modifying my card from Pro to XT or XT PE adversely affect it's current built-in VIVO capabilities? I only ask because of having read that some manufacturers of those cards did not include the VIVO capabilities.

Thanks for your assist...

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Case Tsami Dream
Software XP Pro SP2
Whatever features your card came from the factory with, are all still there.
Just runs quite a bit faster than it did prior to the mod.