According to XPG, ADATA's gaming brand, the Precog is the world's first dual-driver gaming headset, which to my knowledge is true. It's also by far the most ambitious gaming headset released under the XPG brand, as well as the most expensive, although its price recently saw a sharp decline from an initial $249 down to $109. XPG boasts about a pair of dynamic speaker drivers backed by a pair of electrostatic drivers, giving the XPG Precog a frequency response of 5–50,000 Hz, which is far beyond what human ears can hear. Thanks to that, it has the "Hi-Res Audio" certification badge.
Many other interesting features are listed on the XPG Precog spec sheet. This headset is built around a well-liked dual-headband design and equipped with angled memory foam ear cushions, as well as rotatable ear cups. It has a removable, unidirectional microphone with environmental noise canceling (ENC) technology. There are two ways to use it depending on what it's connected to. If connected to a PC, PlayStation 4, or Nintendo Switch, it can be connected to the supplied USB sound card, which works as an in-line remote control and offers USB-C and regular USB Type-A connectivity. For Xbox and mobile devices, XPG equipped the Precog with a standard 3.5-mm audio port and included an additional audio cable with an in-line remote control with a volume dial and a microphone mute switch, thus covering the essentials regardless of how it is used.
There are many other aspects of this headset to analyze and discuss, so let's dig in!
- Electrostatic/dynamic dual-drivers
- 32 Ω impedance
- 5–50,000 Hz frequency response (specified by the manufacturer)
- Closed-back, over-ear design
- Detachable unidirectional microphone with ENC
- USB sound card with 7.1 surround sound support, sound profiles, and volume/microphone controls
- In-line remote control for analogue connectivity
- 1.3 m braided USB-C cable + 1.25 m braided USB-C to USB Type-A adapter cable
- 1.25 m braided 3.5-mm audio cable (TRRS plug) + 1.36 m braided 3.5-mm splitter cable (dual TRS)
- Weight: 362 g