Ultimate Ears is one of the major players when it comes to portable speakers. Today, we will be focusing on the newest addition to their BLAST line-up—namely, the MEGA version of the BLAST we tested here!
Ultimate Ears is keeping their naming fairly consistent. The MEGABLAST is to the BLAST what the MEGABOOM is to the BOOM speaker. In terms of acoustics, bigger is sometimes better. The MEGABOOM is by no means a large speaker as it is just larger than the portable BLAST and BOOM designs from Ultimate Ears.
With the extra volume, Ultimate Ears managed to add two dedicated tweeters as well as much larger woofers, up to 55 mm from 35 mm, each. Ultimate Ears still uses two rather large rectangular passive drivers to tailor the bass to their liking. This does not just mean the MEGA version plays louder as it is also capable of pushing out quite a bit more low-end.
Like the BLAST, the MEGABLAST comes fully equipped with a microphone array so you can use Alexa with it. If you plan on using it as a smart speaker, Ultimate Ears has the Power Up base addition that enables you to charge the device in an upright position without having to remove the rubber connector for the base connector.
- Frequency range: 60 Hz–20 kHz
- Maximum sound level: 93 dBC
- Drivers: Two 25 mm tweeters, two 55 mm dynamic drivers coupled with two 85 mm x 50 mm passive radiators
- Connectivity: 802.11 a,b,g,n and Bluetooth A2DP
- 16 hour battery life, lithium-ion
- Waterproof: IP67, can be immersed in liquid by up to 1 m for up to 30 minutes
- Amazon Alexa built in, far-field voice recognition through multiple microphones using beam forming
- 2-year limited warranty