1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*** F@H Tech Assistance Thread ***

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by BUCK NASTY, Jul 10, 2009.

1. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    very helpfull, thx, folding with gpu uses only 13-20%cpu , used to be around 50%
    PPD went up a little to 4670 used to be 3900-4200, or maybe its the project,, have to observe more

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    Can i run multiple clients on the same gpu??:confused:
    1440/320 = 4 clients. :p
    My ppd is too low. :eek:

3. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope unless you a X2 card then you can run both. Just get another card bro:D

4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys! Good news this morning as Stanford has released an update to Core 14 for Nvidia cards.

Source

Well, I don't know about you guys but I think I'm going to take full advantage of this while I can and pop in a spare GTX260 I have lying about. It may look a little funny surrounded by 9600GSO, but it should help that rig burn through the WUs.

I should note that it will likely restart that WU if you delete it mid WU, so wait until it just finishes.

NastyHabits says thanks.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Strange, just looked @ Fahmon and it did not list my Username or Team. My WU completed count in the console client says 2 units completed. So I guess for some reason or another it lost my user info. Deleted and reinstalled the client and all seems normal now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    need help... prolly been answered b4 but hre it goes

im crunching with my q6600 @ 100% cpu load and try to run folding@home-gpu with my 4870, it will fold pretty fast for about 2 min then grind to almost to a stop. need help to set it up right. ty in advance

7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Folding on ATi cards uses an entire core, so either you are oing to have to tell WCG to only use 3 cores or give up folding on the GPU. That's one of the reasons I only choose Nvidia cards :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    That makes me sad i wanna fold :cry:

9. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    found a solution. kinda

Environment variables

what flush interval to use?? is 128 enough for a 5850??

cpu usage less than 5% now ;)

EDIT: its practically 0%, one more core for WCG :rockout:

10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    check out post 352 in this thread

Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  11. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody know whats goin on with my GTX 260, whats with the low PPD? Well for this card.
    I was getting 6600, the other day.

[​IMG]

12. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Now that is funny because as you can see from my screenie that one of the cores from my GX2 is folding on the same WU but has a slightly higher PPD:confused:

[​IMG]

Close and restart the client and see if it pulls the actual PPD;) What drivers are you using?

Attached Files:

• GX2.jpg
      GX2.jpg
      File size:
      177.4 KB
      Views:
    3dsage says thanks.
  13. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats weird its something to do with the WU then, i restarted and still the same PPD well 4.9K. Im running the 191.07 drivers BTW.
    I guess i'll just let it run.

14. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    So on my Rig in the Sig...I would only be able to run Three F@H clients? Or can I run more?
    Right now I have managed to run Three.

15. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I see that you have 2 4870X2 cards which equals 4 physical GPU's. You just need to dummy plug the other output on your card and extend the desktop to get the 4th one folding;)

DRDNA says thanks.
  16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Theoretically, you should be able to run one client on each GPU core (although those who try have a hard time) and SMP on the CPU. El Fiendo can tell you about running VM on the cpu for more points. Around here, most are running their GPU's for Folding and their CPU's for WCG. I don't recommend SMP for a system where it's going to be shut down and started up, like stopping SMP to game. But that was my experience.
    Info for WCG found here
    About Folding on ATI, go back to post 352 in this thread for some advice for setting environmental variables and also check out this thread.

DRDNA says thanks.
  17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    lolz...right now I am running one on the CPU and one in the GPU and one under XP mode.....I run the rig in crossfireX always...so I in theory should be able to add three more for a total of six...right? or do I have to disable CFX first then dummy dongles?
    PS only one of the GPU's is folding..how do I get all four?

18. dhoshaw

dhoshaw

Thanks Received:
    Thanks El Fiendo; just what I needed. After moving my cards around, I ended up with a 9600GSO matched with one of my 9800GX2's. I noticed that I was only getting 75% of the normal PPD from the 9600. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    got this 9600GSO installed in WCG1 in system specs, but whenever I start folding the system becomes intermittently unresponsive, running 191.xx drivers tried with 190.xx drivers with no change. I was using on board drivers before (ATI 3200) uninstalled drivers prior to installing the GSO.

Any ideas? I think it must be software or BIOS related since my E2200 could keep up with a GTS 250 with ease.

EDIT: Got it fixed :eek:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    OK guys, trying to fold on both my 285s here. I got the two clients set up and all, SLI disabled, but I'm thinking that I need a dummy plug for the second card. Is that right? It's giving me a "driver needed" for my second GPU.

21. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Did you extend the desktop? With the new drivers, dummy plugs and disabling SLI are not supposed to be needed.

22. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a minor issue, so I didn't feel like making my own thread.

I've been folding using my 9600 GSO 512 on my main rig. I built it its own rig with a 4.33Ghz E5300, so it can crunch.

I install WCG fine. But somehow there is a problem with the F@H GPU client. The card is fine, tested, runs game perfectly. The drivers are the newest ones from nVidia. The client is the one with the 'special' nVidia viewer, as in the one I used to fold on my main rig. Basically, nothing seems to be wrong.

However, the client stays on (0/0) in the icon bar, and when I click 'Display' it runs extremely slowly. Almost as if the GPU is being used by another program. But it's not. I did a clean reboot and there is only one game installed which is also not very graphically intensive. The fan stays quiet and according to GPU-Z it remains at 35%.

Basically, it's screwed up and I hate that because I'm just getting into folding/crunching and I hate to be slapped in the face by something I'm just trying out for the first time.

Hopefully someone can help me.

23. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Well let me give it a go with SLI enabled once I finish this WU. How would I extend the desktop onto another monitor if I don't have another monitor?

24. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Can you give us a screen shot of GPU-z for that video card? It does not look like you got one of the "good" 9600GSO's, which have either 384 or 768MB VRAM. The viewer also slows Folding way down.

I don't know:eek:! I'm Folding on XP but I was just repeating what I've heard. My adventure into 7 starts soon:eek:

25. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else? If I need a dummy plug, I hope I can enable SLI and play games on my single monitor without too much fuss, or I'm gonna trim down and only run one 285. I'm already pumping out upwards of 9,000PPD with one card.