1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 - Island Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I've yet to try Lagarith in DxTory because it won't work with RawCap, which requires DxTory's own codec. Since getting the 7970 I imagine there's a lot of games I can record at 720p without lag even on one HDD, but my HDD isn't all that fast too, so.

I've run DxTory in the background of Hitman Absolution just for the frame counter, but what's weird is that game seems to launch inconsistently with DxTory. Sometimes the counter won't appear at first, and sometimes I get a black screen until I mouse click, but once the game and the counter are running, all is good.

2. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Yep, bought everything. I had to buy every single paintjob for every single gun to get through to the end and collect all the loot. Seems silly you have to do that, or deliberately lose at poker just to collect all the loot.

Anyway I finished the game last night. Collected every single relic, lootbox and letters etc. The ending was pretty good I thought, fun game overall.

The game ran like a dream on my PC, no problems with save games, graphics was perfect and ran smooth as butter on mostly max settings.

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but do you mean that some of the "useless" loot, like poker cards qare usefull later in the game??? thx.

is there a way to "store" loot in your savehouse, without selling or dropping it?

4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I don't see any real problem with maxing your wallet, esp if you've got so much stuff you don't need to buy anymore. You can still loot items too.

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Nah the cards are just loot but they are one of the more valuable ones tho.

Oh and I have no issues running FRAPS but then I don't use the overlay I use my G15 but it takes screenshots just fine tho. I would bet it's probably a conflict with the uPlay overlay. Printscreen just gets me a black screen.

6. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Well actually sometimes you cant. If the loot box has items and cash you can still loot it with a full wallet and just take the item. But if the loot box only has cash you cant loot it, and the icon remains on the map.

In other words if you want to loot every box and have them disappear off the map you need space in your wallet.

7. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    How do you like the game so far Kurgan ? They sure have a lot of
    stuff coming at yuh all the time. You sure can't just wander around.
    You learn to keep yourself well stocked in ammo.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Cash is not the same as items though. I said you can still loot items, because you can. If you're obsessing over loot box achievements you should have been only looting those and not corpses.

A little trivia for you. Jason might be Agent 46. His save house is code name Orbit 46. You can even equip him with a silenced pistol. :cool:

9. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    I did, I stopped looting corpses about half way through, still had a full wallet problem.

You can get more than a silenced pistol. I had a silenced sniper, and even some of the machine guns/smgs, specials had silencers. You can get about 5 attachments for most guns including bigger magazines/silencers/various scopes/and paint jobs. I had to buy every single one lol.

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Apparently you didn't get the parallel to agent 47, who's signature weapon is his silenced Silver Baller pistols.

I'm well aware you can get silencers for sniper rifles. I've taken over a lot of pirate camps undetected with one.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    fixed the save game issue!

had to use -offline, set the game to use XP compatility and forced admin mode... and rebooted the PC. seriously, reboot was all i needed.

12. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok, had to google it from Hitman? Not a big fan of the hitman series, I did play blood money ages ago but not one of my faves.

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Hitman has always been a love it or hate it type of game. Even more so now that they changed the stealth features.

14. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    There is something new enough for me to spend 70+can instead of food for this? Could buy a new crunching card for the same price.... Farcry2 was bad enough.

15. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    Great game! i'm only at 65% more or less and can't play it enough

16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If there's one thing I could warn you about it's that anything but the story missions in the game is very repetitious. Whether it be bulletin board side quests or camp takeovers, it's a very rinse and repeat affair. This is exacerbated by the fact the the story itself gets worse as you go, particularly the story details and characters in the last half of the game.

There's other little nit picks here and there, but those are the standouts for me. It's a lot like Far Cry 2 in the sense that the little things here and there are what keep it interesting, like wild animals attacking you unexpectedly, an occasional camp takeover going bad, etc. In fact if this one didn't have predators, it would be disappointingly too much like FC2.

17. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Yeh its pretty good. Its rated highly on most of the review sites too.

I enjoyed the side missions where you need to shoot as many guys as possible in 60 seconds or whatever it was. Also if you like collecting stuff and looking for hidden items in caves etc theres plenty of that.

18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I think the entire side mission structure is far too arcade in this game, and doesn't at all fit the natural surroundings and remote location. I was worried when I saw the first gameplay demos that the gameplay would be too arcade in ways.

Last thing I want in the middle of a game that has you hoofing it through a real looking world with great graphics, ambients, weather, TOD and animals, is a side quest experience that's right out of Saints Row. Totally breaks the immersion.

19. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Well you dont have to play them.

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    give me some fun things to do, as a new far cry 3 player

21. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    so i heard patch 1.03 fixes issues machines with 32 cores, so who here games with 32 cores?

22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Easy to say for those that enjoy or don't mind them, but for those bored by them, it's a very stripped down game to just breeze through the story missions, esp when the story and characters the last half of the game are so poorly done. Obviously the first play through (which I'm on), I'm doing them all, just in hopes that some will be different.

When you look at all the repeat quests, the game is seriously short on content. There's hours spent as Vas says, doing the same thing over and over and over again, somehow expecting the results to be different. Yep, I'd say that's a fairly good definition of insanity, as in barely better than staring at walls.

If I was one of the guys working on just the graphics of this game, at board meetings I would have been saying, "Really? We put ALL this work into making the game look good and all you guys working on story and gameplay can come up with is a bad ending with psychotic lunatics like FC2 had, and cheesy, boring repeat quests?"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  23. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Wow did some one pee in your Cheerios ? :D I haven't got to far into it, but it is a lot better then
    FC2 was and enjoyed that one as well. Just remember it is a game and not "Inception":rolleyes:

24. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i just finished farcry3 the thing that bothers me is that the plants dont react the same as in crysis 1
    like if you shoot it it falls apart that's not the case here

FAR CRY 3 VS CRYSIS - BATTLE - YouTube

25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I was eating Cheerios before they even came out with the Honey Nut ones, but it's Northern Gold Cashew Raisin Granola these days.

Give it a full play through, then tell us what you think. This play through I'm trying to catch quests as I go, vs blazing through story quests to unlock skills, then finishing with side quests like I did last time. It's still upsetting knowing all side quests are virtually the same though.

I have to admit, the action part of the very ending is better than I'd anticipated. After some of the seeming endings leading up to it being ho hum, that was a nice change of pace.

The game still needs a lot of performance tweaks though, unless patch 1.03, which I've yet to install, is chock full of performance fixes without mentioning them in the release notes.

I still get dipping frame rates here and there, the menu running slow as molasses, and choppiness kicking in here and there while playing after a short while. Seems to reek of memory leaks.