1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro 2033

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this game very cpu intensive as well?

I'm sure my 5970 will cope, but then I've only got an E8400 (albeit at 4Ghz) and 4GB RAM...

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i actually don't know much about other intels, this is my first jump from AMD in a decade.

I have to say though, a Q9650 at almost 4ghz is damn good... the only thing I may have on you is the QPI, but even with that - if your scale is i7 at ten and where do you rate? probably 8 or so, even more. very close.

3. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok made it out of the catacombs,had to reload that level as i needed that other guy with me, I realy like this game lol

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok beat it oh high DX9 getting 40 to 75 FPS. Now back to god of war.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So it's all pretty linear isn't it? I was hoping for more free roaming. :ohwell:

6. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow this is the new Crysis as far as load generated huh?!

That just looks so damn stunning. Me wantz.

7. PEPE3D

PEPE3D New Member

Thanks Received:
    I started playing this game today and I think is OK. Graphics are nice real nice. I am playing it at 1920x1200 all eye candy maxed out. FPS 40 to 87. I am still using these Diamond XOC 4870x2 2GB GDDR5 in CF and loving it. I have played almost every new game that had came out since I got them in the fall of 2008. No matter what I play I get great FPS. I think I hold on these puppies until ATI comes out with new cards after 5970, maybe using 32nm GPU's. By the way I run these card clock @850MHz and Memory clock @1000 MHz and water cooled. Idle temp28~32C after playing 5 hrs 39 to 43C depending on the game. Never problems, well build cards. Awesome cards.

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah although I have to admit I tried to rush through it. There were areas where you could stay and do a lil more exploring (I would think) but I just decided to keep on going towards the main objective.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if this game is actually using all available CPU cores, meaning a quad core?

10. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Interview with Metro 2033 crew about Technology in the game

games.on.net: Does your game takes advantage of multiple CPU cores?

Olez: Yes, it was a decision way, way before the engine was even in prototype. It was multithreaded from the start.

games.on.net: So if I go from a dual to quad core, what performance increase can I expect?

Olez: If you are not bottlenecked by the video card, we have linear scaling – so double the performance. This goes all the way up to eight and sixteen cores."

http://games.on.net/article/7836/Metro_2033_-_Technical_QA

Lionheart says thanks.
  11. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I definitely want to see some 980X results in this game then. Especially as the 980X can hit some freaking awesome speeds on air alone.

:D

12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it is pretty linear . . . I was a bit disappointed as well, hoping for more "roaming" here and there . . .

Although, there are some areas where you can do some exploring, and the game doesn't exactly "prod" you into moving further - but the maps are rather limited in their scope . . .

13. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    is the text all weird and jarbley for every1 else? i have periods and whatnot where letters should be in words.

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem,words mixed up or symbols in place of letters.

15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haven't noticed . . . but I don't have subtitles on, either.

16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I have them on and have not noticed that at all.

17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    One thing I noticed, especially when you get to the front lines on the tracks between the Reds and the Reich, is that you can't really play the game like a fast shooter, especially with the difficulty turned up. And unlike most games the pace isn't so awfully frantic, that you have no idea what's going on ;coughCODcough;. Additionally, enemies don't always boom headshot you while you're in complete cover. I do admit, that sometimes they have pretty good vision in the dark, but I often find after they are dead, that they had vision goggles on.

So all in all, you actually get to use stealth and cover to your advantage, and it feels good spending fifteen or more minutes clearing out a semi large area, because you were tactical.

I also after a while started to forget about mutants. The game felt like some trench war battle but in tunnels instead.

I do have to say though, that a lack of a lean function, as well as a prone/crawl really hurts the gameplay. I'm glad they didn't go with some third person view 'duck and cover' feature like Mass Effect 2, but still, lean/crawl would have taken it up a notch.

18. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    #

You realise that's intentional right?

War is hectic as hell, gun fights between two groups are especially hectic.

19. [crs] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Completed it in 13.8 hrs according to steam lol. Very enjoyable, had to play it at 1600x900, with settings only at high, DX9 and the lowest AF settings just to get it to run so that i wouldnt notice slow down or mouse lag lol. Overall sweet game, short but good

20. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I'm thinking the 14hr mark is going to be the avearage. I beat it in 14.2, and that was taking my time.

Running through it again for shits & giggles, trying to pick up the other achievements (simply for sense of "completion"), and then I'll be back to STALKER for a long while.

Damn, and I was thinking the other day . . . there's some sweet features in Metro that would be awesome in STALKER. The ability to put on and take off your gasmask at will - having to deal with mask filters . . . the sense of actual nightvision goggles and having to keep your batteries charged . . .

21. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    HELP, anybody getting this error? It will let me play the game, but it won't let me fire any weapons or make me press ESC to teh main screen! .

[​IMG]

22. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree. These are pointless gimmicks like the car repair in FarCry 2, nothing more than routine chores.

23. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye but depends on perspective really, to some it adds immersion.

I remember when you didn't even have ammo in games :laugh:

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully we'll see some patches released to amend poor performance. I'm very surprised to see some people with i5/i7 rigs struggling to run this game (even in DX10).

25. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats cause i5/17 are noobs, i run that bitch maxed oout no problem get that intel garbage out of here....But im just jealous cause i cant afford...wait ill refraise that...i wont spend that much money on a processor thats just mildy better then a amd for 400% more