1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenoms Dell Transformation Project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MxPhenom 216, Jan 18, 2013.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Update

Drives are here an installed.

[​IMG]

Applying the 3M double sided foam tape.
    [​IMG]

Drives installed
    [​IMG]

Started the cabling. The cable management may actually look good after its all done with the way im going to route the sata cables. Looks lame with the Orange cables though haha, but oh well. I will route the SATA power cables out through the front and back in like I did the others. I am getting Windows 8 Pro tomorrow. Im not going to connect the 2 WD Red drives till after I have the OS installed to the SSD first.
    [​IMG]

I also might toss this old HD4850 in the rig as i might be using it as a backup rig too, when my main rig is down when im doing a water cooling upgrade and rebuild.

MT Alex says thanks.
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Looking good, Mayonnaise!

3. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Machine is up and running now. Ill have pictures later tonight, but im having trouble trying to connect to it via RDP, with the only Admin account on the system. Maybe i need to make another one with admin rights and a password. Will try.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    RDP will not allow connection with an account with no password.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Okay so thats my issue. Ill add a password to the admin account i made and see if that fixes it

6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yep, that fixed it. I can now TS, and I have the 2TB Raid 1 array shared, and mapped on my main rig! Win! :rockout:

7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Lucky you, I added the 3x3TB drives to my server(Rig2) last night the motherboard died. :(

Looks like I'll be buying a new board/cpu/memory.:rockout:

8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    What was it running before?

9. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like this case. This is rock solid. I had one and sometimes I just sit on my case even if I'm 210 pounds. Now it's making happiness of a elementary school girl I gave to.

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Everything is running perfectly, except for a VM issue i still need to look at. Got Remote desktop running solidly, and got my GoPro videos I already have recorded and editted transferred over. Along with all my game saves backed up.

11. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's nice. Keep going man. I know nothing about virtual lan or servers but I appreciate to see some guys recycling hardware to save on our planet.

12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I didnt recyle anything but the case. All the old parts are sitting here in a box. I may attempt to sell them, or take them to computer recycle place and recycle

13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Pictures!

Finished build. Cabling and all
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing a transfer from GoPro slow SD card to the mapped network drive. Going from my main rig, to the server topped out at about 160mb/s
    [​IMG]

Now for comparison pictures

Before
    [​IMG]

After: Much cleaner don't you think? :D
    [​IMG]

Now to figure out how to make my rig automatically connect to the network drive on boot up. I power it off every night, and will leave my server running 24/7 since it barely consumes any watts. I booted back up my main rig this morning, and it failed to connect to the network drive. I read I might have to make a batch file that starts up on boot every time so it reconnects the network drive automatically. Waiting for Newtekie to see if he has information on this.

14. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Clean, tidy and good-looking build there, nicely done :)

15. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I seen it but still the case is a big part that often don't finish where it should be. I had almost the same setup before and gave it. You could use the parts put in it Xubuntu and start downloading with torrent.

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The specs are still listed for the old hardware. Celeron E3200@4.0GHz / eVGA 780i A1 / 8GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12

I ordered a A4-5300 / AsRock FM2A75 Pro4 / 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24. I also ordered a new NZXT Source 210 case because the old case was a too cramped.

You shouldn't have to do that, when you boot your main rig it should just reconnect the mapped drive. Though I have seen sometime where when a computer boots it will say it couldn't reconnect all the network drives. You just go into computer and if the mapped drive has a red X on it you double click it to reconnect, but even that shouldn't be necessary unless for some reason your main computer isn't getting network access right when it boots. If you keep having problems with the mapped drive not reconnecting after a reboot and it annoys you to the point that you really want to automate it you can write a batch file to remap the drive on every boot. The one I use looks like this:

Code:
    ping [B][COLOR="Red"]192.168.1.1[/COLOR][/B] -n 10
    net use [B][COLOR="red"]s:[/COLOR][/B] /d
    net use [B][COLOR="red"]s:[/COLOR][/B] \\[B][COLOR="red"]server[/COLOR][/B]\[B][COLOR="red"]share[/COLOR][/B] /user:[B][COLOR="red"]newtekie1[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="red"]password[/COLOR][/B] /PERSISTENT:Y
    The ping command pinging my router at the beginning just adds about a 10 second wait time before the actual mapping command executes to make sure your network connection is established. And if it isn't established it will actually wait longer, because it the ping command will have to wait for the timeout.

The first net use command delete the shared drive, I do this to make sure the second command complete successfully and doesn't conflict. Sometimes if you don't don't delete the mapped drive first the command to remap the drive won't work.

And finally the last line maps the share named "share" located on the computer named "server" to drive letter S with my username and password(which isn't really password ;)).

So everything in red you are basically going to have to change to match your setup.

17. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I refrain from pirating anything.

Thats exactly what windows told me, and I had to do the whole remap process because I didn't know you could just double click to reconnect.

18. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where did I talk about pirating? You download whatever you want I'm not going to tell you what to download legal or not.

19. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Torrent =/= Legal.

20. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

21. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    LOL, u can use torrent clients to d/l legit software. People need to stop thinking that a torrent is the devil, cause its not and its also a very useful and quick way to d/l.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The WoW client download is torrented (sic). Torrents are illegal, therefore WoW is illegal.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, a very small percentage of software is distributed legally through torrents. But, lets face it, for those few pieces of software you don't need a box dedicated to downloading torrents.

This thread doesn't need to turn into a discussion on the legitimacy of torrents.

AlienIsGOD and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  24. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just talked about hardware and the other one started with piracy. Some people have brain farts! :p

25. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    just using tape?
    maybe its the simple way but i guess for long term you should screw it or put it on 5,25 inch bay