1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI with different cards

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by anatolymik, Jan 18, 2012.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Heck yeah I want this supported!

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Rorta New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please, don't quit it!

But of course many people want you to support this thread!
    P.S. Still waiting for updates!

3. p3gaz_001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm tuned in too.... i've got two 580 and a gtx 285 (now as phisx card) any way to speed a little bit up by using the 285 as "help" for the two 580s???

4. amplifie New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is amazing, just truly amazing! A couple of days ago i bought a used GTX 460 - ( or i thougt i bought a gtx 460 ), but it wasn´t just a GTX 460, it was a GTX 460 SE. I wanted to build a gtx 460 sli system instead of buying a 570 or similar GPU. The guy who sold the card told me it was a GTX 460, so yeah 90 bucks for a gtx 460 seemed okay and so i send him the money. As the card arrived i read - Gainward GTX 460 SE ...whaargh. Tried to exchange the card, but the guy who sold me this card never answered to my Emails or anything - A pain in the ass. I dont wanted to start a lawsuit and so a had to stick with the 460SE. Then i got the idea of flashing the cards to make them compatible - I tried many different bios files to downgrade my gtx 460 to a 460SE and or flash the 460se to a non SE GTX, but every single try failed. If you try to flash a GTX 460 Bios onto a 460 SE (i´m using gainward cards) ur card wont mess up, but as soon as you install nvidia drivers the screen stays black. On the opposite site, if you try to "down flash" a gtx 460 to a gtx 460 SE, your card also wont mess up, but you cant even see a thing on your display, because you get really wired graphical glitches and colors. After installing the nvidia drivers you will also get a black screen when booting windows. I couldn´t manage to make the Cards compatible using different Bios Files and just right before giving up the whole thing, i found this Forum and your drivers.

Read your install notes, installed the drivers and whoopp i was able to activate the SLI Mode.
    Thank you very very much for your work, please go on with it, i would even donate for this, i didn´t know that this can be manage through the drivers. Surely i do not get the performance like two real gtx 460 but this has nothing to do with your drivers.

Just started some benchmarks and my 3dMark 11 Score with your driver is "6012" absolutly good in my opinion and also the FPS in the Witcher 2 has almost been doubled , a completely different game now.

As i said, thank you very very much for your work - Keep it up!

5. p3gaz_001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried with two GTX 580 and a 285 .... the drivers seems to work and detect the cards ready for sli, BUT when i try to enable it i get bsod,bsod reporting nvidia's driver.

[​IMG]

i'd like to buy at least a GTX 560ti to try this stuff out.

6. amplifie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to Update to the new Nvidia Driver Version 296.10 or higher and using different SLI driver "override"? Version 290.xx is nice, but sadly especially in skyrim the fps drops a lot even with SLI enabled - The 295.xx or 296.xx gives a massive FPS gain makes it really worth it working it out.

I really dont know how to edit the nvidia dll or sys files wich comes with the official drivers, if i knew how to, i would do it myself, but i dont think it is that simple...

Is there hope for an Updated "Different SLI" driver Version like for e.g. Version 296.xx ?
    As i said before i would even donate for it, becuase your work is really great!

7. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    296.10 modded driver is out. Later there will be an autopatcher. See first message for the link.

8. amplifie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very very very much anatolymik! The new driver is working absolutly great, just as the one before but with much better Performance in many games - especially in Skyrim!
    The two cards (GTx 460 + GTX 460SE) are performing very well and it really is an alternative to the "normal" SLI configuration, because its working without any Issues, bsod´s or other problems.

This really helped me out, and if you want to, send me a pm with paypal number etc., i will donate your work!!!

[​IMG]

Again, thank you very much for your great work!

9. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    Autopatcher is the way to go ..... thank you very much .

10. erasure

erasure

Thanks Received:
    would u out modded driver for 301.10?
    how SLI GTX680 + GTX580

11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    different architecture, most likely BSOD

12. ken2ki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried with GTX 560TI and GTX 550TI. The drivers (296.10) detect the cards ready for sli. When i try to enable it i get drivers crash on GTX 560TI. 8(

13. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This sounds just great. Iv got 8800GT and an old 7900GTO. and im looking for an x38 /x48 motherboard. Will i be able to do this setup with these moded drivers?

P.S. are the crossfire bridge and SLI bridge the same?

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no it wont work, the cards are too different.

15. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    based on the architecture?

would it be possible if 8600gt instead of 7900GTO ?

16. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I still have this thread subbed. Support please! :)

17. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    nope. that is a G84 or G94
    It might!

18. ColdFlo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look I know I'm gonna catch hell for this and my goal is not to be offensive even tho you are all going to see it that way. This to me seems to be one of the more superior tweaks and how many of those have we lost over the years? Like the quak4 vfp tweak or a64tweaker or the countless other tweaks out there that fall to deprecation because no one man can keep up or wants to keep up with all the support if you have to work for a living and you want to use your computer its just not possible. Was this really hard to make or was it just some tweaks with ida pro or something? Just saying a guide to make custom drivers would be superior because nvidia releases drivers constantly and i modded those new 680 drivers to work my 8800gtx sli and it works beautifully even with the higher textures and meshes(not sure what it is the wireframes look enhanced too)(easy to do all you have to do is put the card ids from another driver in the nvdisp.inf) The community having the knowledge would mean that people would improve this and grow it to the extent that I think it would be a good payback for all those sli licensed motherboards nvidia made us buy over the years with 300+ pricetag. I noticed back in the day when I modded my 6800 ultra to quadro years back that the cards are all pretty much the same nvidia just controls their function with drivers and id resistors and then when people enabled the extra cores on the 7900gt then nvidia once again got more controlling as well as cutting off nibitor functionality(now i have to install xp just to tweak my gpus so annoying) in the new(at that time) vista drivers. I say its time to fight back......... Anatoly no disrespect to you and I appreciate your work as I'm sure many other people will, but lets be honest if you ever try to make money with this chances are nvidia will come after you just like they did the nvidia omega driver guy or the guy that enabled creative drivers in vista so I think the best option is to give the knowledge to the people. Regardless of what happens I'll be watching this closely and this name will stick in my mind just as Makve(if some of you readers know who he is...) does.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    paragraphs are your friend.

also, if he releases how he does it - that just means nvidia gets to block it more easily, taking this away from us for good.

Reefer86 says thanks.
  20. WqYn3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do i still need to have the HyperSLi or no?

21. WqYn3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont want to sound too dumb but i cant seem to get this to work?

idk if its bc im using hypersli or what?

please run me through the steps!?!

22. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes please!

23. emperor New Member

Thanks Received:
    This topic got my geek juices going so I desided to take the old GTX280 out and try and SLI it with my GTX 470.

Everything went well until I tried to enable SLI. Once I hit apply in Nvidia Control Panel the screen would go black as if searching for drivers and then reboot. Im wondering if its because 1 card is DX11 and the other is DX10?

But no matter the outcome it sure was fun trying. If anyone gets 200series working with 400series I sure would love to try again.

Emperor :toast:

24. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    i think it's because of the completely new architecture in the 400 series. I tried a 260 with my 580 and got the same problem :/

25. lokinmodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great topic! Great work!