Thursday, March 31st 2011

NVIDIA Readies Non-Ti GeForce GTX 560 To Ward Off HD 6790 Threat

NVIDIA is readying a new SKU based on the GF114 GPU: the GeForce GTX 560, to help strengthen the company's competitiveness against AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 6790, and probably higher SKUs in the HD 6800 series. Next week, AMD will unveil its Radeon HD 6790 SKU, which will compete with the GTX 550 Ti, and probably seat itself in the market somewhere between the GTX 550 Ti and GTX 560 Ti. It is this gap that NVIDIA is looking to fill.

The GeForce GTX 560 is said to have 336 CUDA cores enabled (same configuration as the GF104-based GTX 460 1 GB), 56 TMUs, 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface holding 1 GB of memory. The thing that sets this SKU apart from the GTX 460 is going to be clock speed and overclocking potential, which is known to be higher on GF11x GPUs in general. Unlike HD 6790, there's no set launch date for the "non-Ti" GeForce GTX 560. Tentatively mid-April or early May.

Source: Heise
Add your own comment

14 Comments on NVIDIA Readies Non-Ti GeForce GTX 560 To Ward Off HD 6790 Threat

#1
LAN_deRf_HA
Overclocking potential? With a little voltage bump most 460s hit 900-1000 mhz. So what, 1.1-1.2 ghz for these?
Posted on Reply
#2
dieterd
"to help strengthen the company's competitiveness against AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 6790" - nvidia should have done much better job with gtx 550 ti (price/preformance; power/preformance) then there would be no need for new cards.
Posted on Reply
#3
Over_Lord
News Editor
hurray, a rebranded GTX460 with higher price tags..
:shadedshu


hmm, so AMD oust HD6790 for GTX550Ti.

Now nVidia oust GTX560 fo HD6790.

so AMD oust HD6795 for GTX560??
Posted on Reply
#4
bear jesus
If these are priced low enough and clock high enough they could be great cards.

Nvidia and AMD are really going at it these recent generations, i can't wait to see what 28nm chips bring for us.
Posted on Reply
#5
Hustler
Isn't it great to have competition back in the gfx card sector.....2009 and 2010 were such boring years compared to 2011 so far...
Posted on Reply
#6
wolf
Performance Enthusiast
thunderising said:
hurray, a rebranded GTX460 with higher price tags..
:shadedshu
this is not a re-branded GTX460, the GTX460 uses GF104, this will use GF114. however similar, it is not a re-brand at all.

These will probably end up smoking 460's with higher stock clocks, and a whole heap more oc-ing potential on the core and memory
Posted on Reply
#7
NC37
A high clocked 460 could come close to a 560. But only if the 560 was at stock speeds, clocked the 560 blows it away. But this should completely replace the 460. Guessing that means the 6790 likely has performance in the 460 area. So this could be another chance for the 460s to drop in price if NV finally phases them out. Yay for me, come on 460 in the sub $150 segment! I need some SLI lovin!
Posted on Reply
#8
Over_Lord
News Editor
wolf said:
this is not a re-branded GTX460, the GTX460 uses GF104, this will use GF114. however similar, it is not a re-brand at all.

These will probably end up smoking 460's with higher stock clocks, and a whole heap more oc-ing potential on the core and memory
umm.. you probably read about GF100 in GTX480 and GF110 in GTX580.

If you might have been curios, you would have found out JUST how much they are the same silicone. Changes are minute. With GF104, the changes was i think the power circuitry to help with higher clocks... thus GF114
Posted on Reply
#9
wolf
Performance Enthusiast
thunderising said:
umm.. you probably read about GF100 in GTX480 and GF110 in GTX580.

If you might have been curios, you would have found out JUST how much they are the same silicone. Changes are minute. With GF104, the changes was i think the power circuitry to help with higher clocks... thus GF114
its not only beefed up PCB circutry but the GPU has been reworked a the transistor level to facilitate higher clocks/lower power consumption.

i know they are (as specs go) identical, but it is still a different GPU and hence not a rebrand. from the sound of it a GTX560 would easily be preferable over a 460, losing some SPs should make it even more overclockable than the Ti at the same voltage.
Posted on Reply
#10
N3M3515
The only thing that would stop me form getting this hipotetical gtx 560 over a 6850 for example is Dragon Age 2, geforces performance in this game is just sad.....:ohwell:
Link
Posted on Reply
#11
HalfAHertz
wolf said:
its not only beefed up PCB circutry but the GPU has been reworked a the transistor level to facilitate higher clocks/lower power consumption.

i know they are (as specs go) identical, but it is still a different GPU and hence not a rebrand. from the sound of it a GTX560 would easily be preferable over a 460, losing some SPs should make it even more overclockable than the Ti at the same voltage.
People usually call that a different stepping, Nvidia decided to give it a whole series :p
Posted on Reply
#12
wolf
Performance Enthusiast
HalfAHertz said:
People usually call that a different stepping, Nvidia decided to give it a whole series :p
IMO that hand was forced by AMD jumping a series # on a refresh before Nv did...

gotta admit for staying on the same fab process, it,s a decent refresh.
Posted on Reply
#13
HalfAHertz
wolf said:
IMO that hand was forced by AMD jumping a series # on a refresh before Nv did...

gotta admit for staying on the same fab process, it,s a decent refresh.
Barts and Cayman are entirely new silicon not a refresh ;]
I'm not trying to troll Nvidia or anything just call things with their real names. Don't get me wrong the 560ti and the 580 are amazing cards albeit too pricey for my blood.
Posted on Reply
#14
wolf
Performance Enthusiast
HalfAHertz said:
Barts and Cayman are entirely new silicon not a refresh ;]
I'm not trying to troll Nvidia or anything just call things with their real names. Don't get me wrong the 560ti and the 580 are amazing cards albeit too pricey for my blood.
there is middle ground there, cayman yes its entirely new, barts was more like fine tuning cypress to have the SP/ROP balance it needed. In any case with AMD going 6000 series, in the eyes of a consumer Nvidia would have appeared a gen behind if they stayed in the 400 series.

I digreess however a crapload more changed on AMDs side than Nvs, but my only original point is it is not a rebranded GTX460, its a different GPU.... technically ;)
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment